What the?!?

Notices, advisories, and questions answered by official Lazlo Agency staff.
Ron Caliburn

What the?!?

Post by Ron Caliburn »

PSC27 wrote:HAITI SELLING OFF ZOMBIES
Undead work harder than the living, obey your every command, don't eat much - & MAKE GREAT NANNIES!
Psst . . . wanna buy a zombie? You can pick up some great deals on the undead from the Haitian government, which is trying to unload thousands of the walking corpses -- at less per head than you'd pay for a decent TV.

"Imagine having your very own slave who will mindlessly obey you, no matter what you order him or her to do," says a government spokesman.

"A zombie will work all day and all night if you want him to, everything from farm labor to house cleaning, and all you have to feed him is oat mush."

Haitian officials say they're turning to sales of the undead to relieve the critical over-supply of zombies, which is dragging down their failing economy even further. Haiti's upper- and middle- class population has shrunk to almost nothing, leaving hundreds of zombie servants unoccupied.

Meanwhile, voodoo priests continue to add to the zombie population, despite the glut of ghouls.

"The people are bitter and angry about their poverty, and they take it out on their neighbors by having them turned into zombies at the slightest provocation," says Haitian economist and social critic Alain Jean-David. "The surplus is running into the thousands -- I've seen estimates that it's as high as 12 percent of the population. The government is desperate to be rid of them before they start running amok."

Zombie prices start at a dirt-cheap $100, but for the next three months you can get an even deeper discount: Buy one, get one free.

Each zombie comes in its own packing crate with a certificate of authenticity enclosed. Instructions for care and feeding are included.

"The most important thing is to not give the zombie salt," says one expert. "It makes them totally uncontrollable, and they can become dangerous."

He also recommends keeping the zombie in a warm location at about 75 percent humidity, to approximate the climate it has grown used to in Haiti.

Low lighting is also recommended. "Zombies work best after twilight, under cover of darkness," he says, "although they can function adequately with filtered light. If you have a zombie housemaid, I'd suggest lowering the shades while she's at work. For gardeners or other outdoor laborers, be sure they are covered well with a hat and long sleeves and pants.

"No sunscreen, though -- unless you want their flesh melting off in your hands."

The government spokesman says zombies can be returned "no questions asked" within 30 days for a full refund, but zombie experts expect few returns.

"Zombies work extremely hard for little reward except a secure place to rest and their bowl of mush," says one. "Many zombies have been beloved family servants for generations, and have become almost like family."

That's how the Chevaliers feel about their zombie governess, Marie- Claire, whom they are turning over to the government for sale after more than 50 years' service.

"She raised me, she raised my children, and now she is raising my grandchildren," says Bertrand Chevalier, who has lost his family's plantation during Haiti's economic struggles. "We held on as long as we could, but we can hold on no longer. We are leaving our beloved country, and we hope that the government can find Marie- Claire a suitable position elsewhere.

"Our only hope is that her new master will care for her half as well as she has cared for us."

Makes me wish for a nuclear weapon. Not a big one, a tactical one should be enough to wipe out the whole island.

Crazy buggers dablin' over their heads
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
A. Pendragon

Post by A. Pendragon »

Zombies? Maybe me and few of my boys and even PSC should hop on over to the island and "whack" us some cultists and priests. Zombies would be great target practice. And word if the cult of night is present in Haiti?
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

Thank you, but no thank you. I am not going to kill anyone or thing...I am going to investigate a rumor and nothing more. If I see fit, I will call for back up. As is, my good companions John Collins and Daric Storm will be meeting me here tonight.

Remember, these are voodoo xombies, not the zombies that we're acustume to. Research shows that the xombies will possably be releasted when the Voodoo priest dies.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

PSC27 wrote:Remember, these are voodoo xombies, not the zombies that we're acustume to. Research shows that the xombies will possably be releasted when the Voodoo priest dies.

Sounds like an easy solution ta me. Gotta purge the infection at the source.

Delta Sierra
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

Ron Caliburn wrote:
PSC27 wrote:Remember, these are voodoo xombies, not the zombies that we're acustume to. Research shows that the xombies will possably be releasted when the Voodoo priest dies.

Sounds like an easy solution ta me. Gotta purge the infection at the source.

Yes, and leave the Haitian people with no defence against the dark forces. Be logical man! Are you going to stay there and protect them for the rest of your life? There is a balance issue here. We can't go in there and expect to kill such and such and leave. I realised this, that was why I was given the OK. Because of my subtlety.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Ta me it sounds like these guys are the source of the dark powers on the island. If they are indiscriminately creating zombies it's pretty obvious they have too much time to dabble.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Ta me it sounds like these guys are the source of the dark powers on the island. If they are indescriminantly creating zombies it's pretty obvious they have too much time to dabble.

:roll: To me it sounds like you need to read about Vodou. The priests and priestesses are also the healers, and protectors of the people, etc.

LIke I said before, I am investigating a rumor, nothing more!

If these rumors are true, I will be also report to my superiors and suggest a plan of action. I am effectively recon sent in to assess and basically evaluate the situation.

(Gods this is fun!)
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

PSC27 wrote:The priests and priestesses are also the healers, and protectors of the people, etc.

It still sounds like they are summoning more trouble than they are protecting from it.

Delta Sierra
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

It still sounds like they are summoning more trouble than they are protecting from it.[/quote]

What the bloody hell ever. I do not wish to and shan't argue with you gung-ho people right now. We have much more serious problems to worry about.
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

The Lazlo Society feels it best me and my 2 companions should continue to Haiti as scheduled and let them handle things here in Texas. I had better turn in.
Silhouette

Post by Silhouette »

My advice is to find yourself a good Hougan to bring with you. Your so called American "enlightenment" is liable to get you killed. Voodoo has many faces, both light and dark. Some practitioners are benevolent, and many are quite the opposite. Most of the bad ones are identified as Bokor and they are the ones who are famous for the death curses, zombies, and things like that.

Odds are if your a typical American as it sounds and you think that because you've seen "James Bond" and know that Baron Semedhi is one of their lords of the dead that your an expert, your going to wind up dead really quick.

I myself can name Agwe, Damballah, Ayida Wedo, Erzulie, Legba, Ogun, Ashada Boco, Carrefour, Congo Zandor, Dan Petro, Adjinaku, Cinu Jour Malheureux, Ghede, Loco, Ayizan, The Marassa, and Simbi along with the aformentioned Baron Semedhi and have a general idea where they all fit in with the extended pantheon of Loa... and I'm not a priest.

Get help before you mess with this.
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

Silhouette wrote:My advice is to find yourself a good Hougan to bring with you. Your so called American "enlightenment" is liable to get you killed. Voodoo has many faces, both light and dark. Some practitioners are benevolent, and many are quite the opposite. Most of the bad ones are identified as Bokor and they are the ones who are famous for the death curses, zombies, and things like that.

Odds are if your a typical American as it sounds and you think that because you've seen "James Bond" and know that Baron Semedhi is one of their lords of the dead that your an expert, your going to wind up dead really quick.

I myself can name Agwe, Damballah, Ayida Wedo, Erzulie, Legba, Ogun, Ashada Boco, Carrefour, Congo Zandor, Dan Petro, Adjinaku, Cinu Jour Malheureux, Ghede, Loco, Ayizan, The Marassa, and Simbi along with the aformentioned Baron Semedhi and have a general idea where they all fit in with the extended pantheon of Loa... and I'm not a priest.

Get help before you mess with this.

This is John. Mr P. knows a lot more then he lets on; as do we. I, myself, did 6 years of Peace Corp there. Daric is a healer from New Orléans who can trace his powers roots back to Haiti and lived there for 5 years. And as for Mr P, well let's just say him and his father are very well respected there by both sides; because of what they helped to do.

He knows what he's getting into. And for the record, I'm English and as is he.

{Btw, I compliment you on your knowledge. For those of you who don't know a Hougan is a Vodoun Priest.}
Last edited by PSC27 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

We are now on a yacht...Without any trouble, we should make it to Haiti in about 9 hours, give or take. After a rather quick stop over in New Orleans.

And what John said last night was true enough, only it was my stepfather; not my father. My father was a drunkard who couldn't find his way out of a bottle and died when I was 5...Good riddens! My stepfather, however, was and still is an archaeologist and a great guy and well respected mage. I am not going into any details as to what happened in Haiti, other than to that I was 16 when it happened and that it was and still is one of my more privet matters and shall remain as such.
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

This is Daric.. We have made it to Haiti. We brought my Yamaha motorcycles (They couldn't talk me into parting with my harleys). John Collins and James Peterson have went to bed...Not use to the time zone change just yet, but they are adapting well. They stayed up til 12:00 then went to bed after speaking to Kae and Xanado about the rumor and found out some news. I need to go to bed myself in a few minutes. Tomorrow we are going hunting...But not for xombies. For the record...We have only seen 1 xombie here and he deserved it...he was a child molester. Haitian justice is so much better then ours in that respect! I doubted seriously that the Weekly World News artical was fact. Still, I need to sleep, tomorrow we go up against a beast of 1000 faces. A changeling of the animal kingdom, if you will, like the one that killed James' mom and brother.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Sounds like you're finally gettin' up ta somethin' productive.

Good luck.

Delta Sierra
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Sounds like you're finally gettin' up ta somethin' productive.

Good luck.

It is dead...well, defeted or bannished would be more accurate. At least for another 10 years.

I would like to know what sounds so bloody productive about hunting something down and killing it.

Anyway...Back to England, for a bit anyway.
randy_eh?

Zombie Franchise

Post by randy_eh? »

Hi,

How well do these zombies function on ice? Can they be taught hockey? I always wondered where they got the zombies that played hockey in the movie "Strange Brew".

-Randy
Geronimus

Post by Geronimus »

Zombies don't do as well in cold weather, they have no internal heat. So if it's below freezing, they can actualy freeze solid if they are still very meaty. But don't let that make you overconfident. A sunny day can give just enough heat for the zombie to be active for a few hours a day; but they are slowed down and they make more cracking noises. That's why you hear about them in places like Haiti and not Alaska. Now, don't start thinkin' that you are "Zombie Free in Freehold" just because you got colder weather, I've heard of a few zombies that had those hunters' socks type heating wires attached, talk about a Witch Doctor who makes to order, effectively making them "all weather zombies". Ever seen a Zombie with 1/4 inch plate riveted directly to the body? I know a guy from Haiti who says that during their civil war, there were government zombies that had US made armor plating and bladed weapons riveted to them. That's right: "Full Metal Zombies".
Sounds pretty wacky doesn't it? I laughed at first, until I realized exactly what a bitch it would be to try and kill one.
There be monsters here...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

PSC27 wrote:I would like to know what sounds so bloody productive about hunting something down and killing it.

'cause it's one less o' dem huntin' an' killin' us.

Delta Sierra
PSC27

Post by PSC27 »

Ron Caliburn wrote:'cause it's one less o' dem huntin' an' killin' us.

True.
A. Pendragon

Post by A. Pendragon »

Ron Caliburn wrote:
PSC27 wrote:I would like to know what sounds so bloody productive about hunting something down and killing it.

'cause it's one less o' dem huntin' an' killin' us.
One less of them means one less bullet I got to waste.
Fear the night because the night doesn't fear YOU!!!
Something that I have learned in my life: The dead just dont stay dead.
Freedom isn't as free as we have been taught!
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Ya know, you and I might just get along, Limey.

Delta Sierra
alias

true story

Post by alias »

I just saw on the news that a town was
attached by zombies. I hope this does not
happen to my town.

Posted by Feo Amante coming from
208.253.205.174 on August 10, 1999 at 13:07:40:

It is true! A town really WAS attached by zombies
and I should know: I live in that town!

The zombies came to life one night and on through
much of the day. Then they went about attaching
themselves to various houses and buildings
throughout my town.

Nobody knows why they attach themselves to some
houses and not others. There seems to be no
forethought or plan to it. I live in an apartment
complex and not one zombie has attached itself to
it.

I think we are being singled out but I don't know
why.

In any case, its a source of embarrassment to be
one of the very few places that cannot boast even
ONE zombie.

Not that I like the zombies, they are a damn nuisance!
All they do all damn day and all damn night is dangle
attached to houses, stores and even street lamps;
arguing about the after life.

You don't even have to engage them in conversation,
just walking past them will do.

"The afterlife," they say. "Don't get me started."

Then they'll ramble on about the subject until their
tongues rot and fall out of their mouth.

I tell you, you've never been so happy to see a
maggot infested rotten tongue fall out of somebody's
mouth until you've seen it happen to a zombie.
rainbow, fruit flavers
Rowan

Something I came across while I searched

Post by Rowan »

Not sure what you guys would make of it, but it seemed appropriate. But perhaps it belongs in another message topic all its own, at Community Outreach?

Woman arrested at airport with human skull in her carry-on
By Brian Haas and Macollvie Jean-Francois
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — He was a black man, in his 30s or 40s, buried sometime in the last year.

His skull still had pieces of dirt on it when it was seized Thursday by federal agents at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. It was found in a Miramar, Fla., woman's carry-on bag as she went through customs after her return from Haiti.

Federal officials arrested Myrlene Severe, 30, after she brought the skull from Cap-Haitien in a rice bag on Lynx Airlines.

She told investigators that she purchased the skull from a man in Haiti to use in religious ceremonies and had hoped it would ward off evil spirits, according to the federal complaint. Severe told them that she practices Vodou, or Voodoo, an African-Christian religion, with roots in Haiti, whose practitioners worship spirits that can heal and provide guidance.

Laws governing the importation of human remains are rigid, but they don't prevent a handful of such cases in South Florida each year.

"Human remains that are imported for proper medical or educational purposes are required to have a death certificate," said Zachary Mann, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. "Any human body parts that are imported for religious purposes are considered restricted importations and are seized."

Severe appeared before federal magistrate Lurana Snow in Fort Lauderdale Friday morning and later posted $100,000 bond. Severe, who is a legal U.S. resident, is accused of smuggling a human head without proper documentation, failing to declare the skull to customs and transporting hazardous materials. She faces up to 15 years in prison.

Severe could not be reached for comment. Ingrid Llera, a voodoo priestess who saw her at a January gathering of practitioners in Little Haiti in Miami-Dade County, said the Miramar woman is also a priestess. Llera, of Pembroke Pines, Fla., said Severe probably didn't know her actions were illegal.

"For her, she was doing something normal," Llera said. "Often, what people take for granted in Haiti, they might do here without knowing it's against the law."

Severe's neighbors knew she practiced Vodou, but never expected the arrest.

"It is pretty wild," said Guerlain Desrouleaux, 47, who is also from Haiti. "I was shocked."

Neighbor Shawn Jean-Charles, 18, said Severe's arrest only feeds the stereotypes about Haitians and Vodou.

"Not all Haitians do that," he said.

Perper said the skull appeared to have been buried for a year or less. The lower jaw was missing, he said, and the skull had "a very small bunch of hair sticking to it." It showed no signs of trauma or disease. Perper has called in a botanist to examine leaves and vegetation that accompanied the skull in the rice bag and to look for any exotic insects.

Perper said he had never seen a case like this in Broward County.
In Miami-Dade County, however, the medical examiner has the "Bone Room."

They are "usually skulls brought in for some religious purpose," said Larry Cameron, the office's director of operations. "We may get eight or 10 skulls a year."

Nearly every case comes from Miami International Airport, he said. Those skulls and bones end up in the "Bone Room," a room for all skeletal remains found in the county. Cameron said the remains are stored there until claimed by relatives.

Perper said his office will try and track down the man's family or where he was buried.

Rafael Martinez, an anthropologist and expert in Afro-Caribbean religions, consulted with Perper about the skull. He said skulls are commonly used in two prominent South Florida religions: Vodou and the Afro-Cuban religion called Palo Mayombe.

Martinez said that in Vodou, it is common for practitioners to put a human skull on an altar in the home dedicated to spirits of the dead known as gede. The spirits contained in that skull are thought to have a powerful, positive influence on one's life. In Palo Mayombe, human bones are often put into a ceremonial pot or nganga, for similar purposes.

"The belief is that the spirits of those people will help you in life, will do things for you," Martinez said.

But the use of skulls and bones, he said, can be seen in nearly all world religions. In Catholicism, for example, many relics are purported to be human remains of saints.

"People need to have an open mind about these things. We keep in our living rooms the ashes of our loved ones and that doesn't come across as unusual," he said. "We need to recognize these are all very valid religions. Very different, but very valid."
Eilonwy Solstice

Thank you for sharing that, Rowan . . .

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Thank you for sharing that story, Rowan. Maybe it was a near catastrophe averted, maybe it was an honest mistake. But the important thing, to me, is it shows you were keeping your eyes open. So again, thank you.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Rowan

You’re welcome.

Post by Rowan »

Eilonwy Solstice wrote:Thank you for sharing that story, Rowan. Maybe it was a near catastrophe averted, maybe it was an honest mistake. But the important thing, to me, is it shows you were keeping your eyes open. So again, thank you.

You’re welcome. And thank you, too.

Return to “Agency Voice”