What do we have against help?

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

More than a few of us wait until way past the having trouble stage to request help.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Some of us have help that is not present here on the boards too, or they have run into difficulties with they help they get. Sometimes too many people investigating creates more problems than it solves (too many people in town asking the wrong questions, or looking in the wrong places).

Other reasons are distance. I can find a scholar in my area that can do the same work that some of the members located halfway around the world can and get the results quicker.

We forget that the Society is just a scratching of the surface of people in our line of work. There are many of us that want to remain anonymous and those of us who are not have experienced at least some of their reasons why (it normally involves friends and family).

So it is not always as simple as a question of ego.
“Whoever starts out toward the unknown must consent to venture alone.” - Andre Gide
Kei Nakamura

Post by Kei Nakamura »

Indeed, DarKnyt, I ask for assistance in some areas because the best qualified persons for that type of aid are here, or simply because the larger portion of my network is half a world away.

If any of you reach Tokyo, or Kyoto, you may find that my name exposes several doors, although it may not unlock many of them any more.
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

Shôja hitsumetsu é-sha-jori
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

A number of us, myself included, have networks of contacts that we can make use of.

Delta Sierra
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

I wasn't talking about asking for help, but accepting it with out being hateful or rude to those who are trying to help, but since you guys brought it up.

In my opinion if you are to stubborn, bullheaded, egotistical, or dumb to ask for help when you are in trouble, or in over your head then you are just helping evil to prevail . Aren't you?
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

I have refused help for multiple reasons. I've stated some of them before. Other times it is because I felt that it was something that myself or those of us who were put into the situation needed to deal with. A sort of clean up your own mess thing.

I have also been refused by members here when I have offered help. Sometimes it was for logistical reasons (I wasn't near the problem), the fact that I was unknown to those involved, and sometimes it was simply because I couldn't offer anything of use to the situation (out of my expertise). I don't ever remember being ignored or replied to rudely.

If I have done so, it is not my intent. It is just that sometimes I get involved in what they are dealing with to the point that everything else is little more than background noise.
“Whoever starts out toward the unknown must consent to venture alone.” - Andre Gide
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Not much difference between asking for help and accepting it to a proud man.

One is admtting you can't do it, the other is another person telling you that ou can't do it.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

"Pride cometh before the fall."
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Actually Bert, I think it is "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Bert_the_Turtle

Mine's shorter =p
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

So in other words what you guys are saying that when you reach adult hood you become like the child that has to do it himself or not at all. I.e. the kid who can't tie his shoes but if someone else does it for him he unties them because he didn't do it.

Sounds kind of self defeating to me. What about you?
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Not quite Sophoroto, many of us have never had many people we trusted enough to allow close enough to help. As I am sure Greydawn has pointed out in your magic training you never trust anyone enough to fully reveal what you can or can not do. And you never teach anyone everything you know, magic is a dangerous course in life and people stray to wrong quite often. If Greydawn is not teaching you this course I apologize for making the assumption, and I add a word of warning in what I post above.
I never came to the board for help for a good few months after I began reading here not out of need but ut of a sense of not endangering anyone in my foolish endevers. I changed my opinion when I relized I had no one left I had grown up around to go to, and because I was not going to leave my daughter with out me. Many of us have slowly began to understand why and where our lack of ability to accept help is from. And like any self discovery it takes time to learn to do different.

Michael T.
Beware the monster within, least it escape and take over your life.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Bert_the_Turtle wrote:"Pride cometh before the fall."

I thought it was Summer.

Delta Sierra
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

Mr. T, Mr. Greydawn is teaching me that you don't trust anyone completely and yes he has warned me about the dangers of teaching others about magic. He has been very thorough and very stern in those lessons but he also told me that there are many here that are trust worthy here but to be careful in placing it.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I was pretty sure Greydawn was following a basic teaching plan that most mages seem to stick with. I know that there are people here that greatly deserve trust from myself and others, and there are those who still need to prove they deserve that trust. I would like to sit down with you and Greydawn when he gets back to talk shop so to speak. I also have a few tomes he may like to copy for later study.

Speaking of I have some items from the cache to offer to most every one currently active on the forum. I finterested please contact me about them.

Michael T.
Last edited by Michael T on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

I thought it was Summer.

:roll: :roll:

Where did you say these items were from Michael?

WWVLD
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

Michael T wrote:I was pretty sure Greydawn was following a basic teaching plan that most mages seem to stick with. I know that there are people here that greatly deserve trust from myself and others, and there are those who still need to prove they deserve that trust. I would like to sit down with you and Greydawn when he gets back to talk shop so to speak. I also have a few tomes he may like to copy for later study.

Speaking of I have some items from the cace to offer to most every one currently active on the forum. I finterested please contact me about them.

Michael T.

He is a great teacher/mentor/and father figure even though he is gone a lot but he is doing what needs to be done to help keep the world as safe as possible from the evil that lurks in the darkness.

He once told me when I was still with my parents that one man can not stand against the tide of evil flowing into this world, but one man can make a difference in the speed of the flow and perhaps give the other good people the time they need to prepare to stem the flow and win the war. Of course that is parafrased and it sounded much better when he said it.

I am sure Mr. Greydawn would be more than happy to have a meeting with you when he gets back. He is always interested in any kind of knowledge that will help in the fight against evil.
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

Sophoroto wrote:Mr. T, Mr. Greydawn is teaching me that you don't trust anyone completely and yes he has warned me about the dangers of teaching others about magic. He has been very thorough and very stern in those lessons but he also told me that there are many here that are trust worthy here but to be careful in placing it.

I think he was talking about Mr. Turtle and Mr. Kolya, something about getting me into trouble. :wink: :P :lol:
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

From the world my mentor was from, also the home of Diabilism and it seems a world rune weapons are rumored to have been created on. We all know rumors are of dubious value at any time. I have gathered things I think will be of help to people here and some extras for the Society to hold on to as loaners.

I look forward to sitting down with Greydawn and you Sophoroto, just let me know when a good time is for you two and we will shcedule something.

Michael T.
Bert_the_Turtle

Sophoroto wrote:
Sophoroto wrote:Mr. T, Mr. Greydawn is teaching me that you don't trust anyone completely and yes he has warned me about the dangers of teaching others about magic. He has been very thorough and very stern in those lessons but he also told me that there are many here that are trust worthy here but to be careful in placing it.

I think he was talking about Mr. Turtle and Mr. Kolya, something about getting me into trouble. :wink: :P :lol:

We wouldn't... well, I wouldn't get you in trouble. I just like to joke around on the forum here. I'm all about safety really.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

*cough* Bullshit *cough*

WWVLD
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

Bert_the_Turtle wrote:
Sophoroto wrote:

We wouldn't... well, I wouldn't get you in trouble. I just like to joke around on the forum here. I'm all about safety really.

I think he was joking since he agreed with Mr. Kolya about listening and learning from the people here. Although I could be wrong. :wink:
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

Michael T wrote:From the world my mentor was from, also the home of Diabilism and it seems a world rune weapons are rumored to have been created on. We all know rumors are of dubious value at any time. I have gathered things I think will be of help to people here and some extras for the Society to hold on to as loaners.

I look forward to sitting down with Greydawn and you Sophoroto, just let me know when a good time is for you two and we will shcedule something.

Michael T.

Mr. Greydawn is supposed to be back next week I will ask him if he has time then.
Last Moon

Re: What do we have against help?

Post by Last Moon »

Sophoroto,

needing assistance is a reminder of ones failing and fragility. Those who are at peace with their own limitations feel no discomfort in asking for assistance. Those who are ashamed of their weaknesses will inevitably try to convince themselves and others that they are capable of accomplishing things without assistance, leading to a quite prickly attitude.

I admit to being rather insufferable to a number of my caregivers before I learned that my attitude was the biggest handicap.