Impossible Situation...

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Bert_the_Turtle

Impossible Situation...

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

You're place in a situation, where you need to choose who lives and who dies.

The situation is unalterable. One (or more) person is going to die and One (or more) person is going to live and you have to choose who.

How do you choose?
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

There is no such thing as an unalterable situation. Anything is possible, what I do and have seen has taught me that. The moment you come to accept that the situation is impossible, than you have already given up.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Bert_the_Turtle

I'm interested to see how people value life though.

Would you sacrifice an old man to save a young child, for instance?
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

If it came down to it, I would rather sacrfice myself than let either die.

Also, Bert, Belladrox poses similar questions to me and to see you asking them is...disturbing.

WWVLD
Bert_the_Turtle

It *is* a valid question...
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

I see this question asked often... Death is indiscriminate; the very young and firm are taken as readily as the very old and the infirm...

I would save as many as I could; I would mourn those who were forced to pass...

But I can guarantee you I would move Heaven and Hell (figuratively speaking) to save everyone, or at least as many as I could... Possibly pave the way to help some save themselves, so that I could rescue others.

As GS put it, no situation is truly inalterable... Only after death does that truth change.

The question is not whether a situation is inalterable, but whether or not we have the power to change it; I answer based on the assumption that I do not.

I cannot say that I would discriminate... I would mourn any loss of life, and so, too, would I opt to save it. The only thing that would alter my course is if I were asked not to save a person by that person, themselves... ("Forget me; my grandchild is in the next room! Get her out!") Aside from that, I would do everything in my power to help everyone...

It would take me a while to recover from the deaths I couldn't help, because then I would know that I could've done something to help them, and I chose to help another, instead...

I pray that I am never put in a situation such as that.

I know that fate is cruel.

Many people ask this question; many people respond "I would change things to save everyone"... Few will admit to their shortcomings, and few want to think about the possibility that they might not be able to react in the most desirable of manners in the least desirable of situations... As part of my philosophy, I have to consider this.
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

I don't like the idea of a no-win situation, and have never accepted one.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
concrete_Angel

Post by concrete_Angel »

It's all well and good to say this now, but when you are in a situation proper, there's no time to rationalize.

Human nature gives us an inherent survival instinct, which changes the scenario.

It may be up to you to decide who you attempt to save, but natural law and reason dictates that not everyone can be saved.

Taking these into consideration, it's better to say you do what you can when you have the opportunity, and not trying to go out to play the hero, which may get more people killed.
I know. I've seen as much.
You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings
You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Everything that you feel
Is everything that I feel
So when we dream
We shout....
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Unfortunately, that is where my main failing is. I'd rather die playing the hero, and get everyone killed, than having to choose who to save. I'm simply incapable of making that choice. It's not that I wish for glory, but that I am driven to save all those I can.

Redemption perhaps, for those I never could save.

WWVLD
concrete_Angel

Post by concrete_Angel »

Um, hello? If you keep spending all of your time thinking about every person on the planet who has died, and how you could have/might have/should have made a difference, then you're already one step closer to kookoo-banana-town. Every few seconds on this planet, someone dies for some/many/no reason at all. You're a fool to think that you can prevent every single death on the face of the earth. Sometimes things happen. You aren't the reason they die, but if you can save yourself and as many people as you can, you're makung a difference. That is why it's worthwhile to try.

(ps-not trying to be insulting)
You traded in your wings
You never left me
You never let me

Everything that you feel
So when we dream
We shout....
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

You are right Angel. There are things beyond our control, however for most here, when something is going on right in front of us we tend to do whatever we can to effect those situations to the best of our ablities.
Some of us just have a few more tricks up our sleeve to do just that, than the averge person, truth is some have more tricks than others here as well.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Koralth

Post by Koralth »

Having just been through a situation in which I'm given an impossible decision, I chose the future, I chose to have Jeremiah fight cops instead of slaughtering infants... He chose to kill the infants anyway. And then, he... It didn't make a difference, he killed everyone anyway. Bert, these things don't make any difference, you've just gotta press on through, and keep working on making sure that more people don't die because of you.
"God, I know you say you love all of your children equally, but you don't, do ya? I'm on to you, big guy." Dr. Percival Cox
Kei Nakamura

Post by Kei Nakamura »

Wo lives, who dies, that is a hard decision to make.

I know that this is not going to be the most popular answer, but yes, I would discriminate, and save the ones most likely to advance my research.
Bert_the_Turtle

Finally something that sounds like a realistic and honest answer.
Kei Nakamura

Post by Kei Nakamura »

Nothing personal, but when it comes down to the brass tacks, my research almost always comes first.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The one who put me in this situation is the first to go.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Um, hello? If you keep spending all of your time thinking about every person on the planet who has died, and how you could have/might have/should have made a difference, then you're already one step closer to kookoo-banana-town. Every few seconds on this planet, someone dies for some/many/no reason at all. You're a fool to think that you can prevent every single death on the face of the earth. Sometimes things happen. You aren't the reason they die, but if you can save yourself and as many people as you can, you're makung a difference. That is why it's worthwhile to try.

(ps-not trying to be insulting)

I was speaking of only three losses. My two younger siblings and my best friend. They are the ones I could not save, and their memories drive me to save all who I can. Of course, I can see how you got this wrong, memories not being your strong suit.

No, just the answer you were looking for.

WWVLD
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

You are not going to know what you do until you do it in such situations.
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Exactly. The situation is too vague - we know nothing about those we have to choose between or why we have to choose.

Delta Sierra
Koralth

Post by Koralth »

Bert_the_Turtle wrote:Finally something that sounds like a realistic and honest answer.

Seems a little rude to disregard everyone elses' ideas like that.
"God, I know you say you love all of your children equally, but you don't, do ya? I'm on to you, big guy." Dr. Percival Cox
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

GhostSpider wrote:

No, just the answer you were looking for.

I kinda got the same feeling. >_>

Ron Caliburn wrote:Exactly. The situation is too vague - we know nothing about those we have to choose between or why we have to choose.

Hence why my answer was vague... Without an exact situation, without knowing the innocents involved, without knowing what's going on, I have to assume it's something along the lines of an entire army invasion, and I'm caught in the middle of the carnage, or something along those lines... In that situation, I would just simply try to get as many people to safety as possible, using whatever means I could. I wouldn't--I couldn't--discriminate...

It's the best answer I can give. Sorry if that's not realistic or honest enough for you.
concrete_Angel

Post by concrete_Angel »

I was speaking of only three losses. My two younger siblings and my best friend. They are the ones I could not save, and their memories drive me to save all who I can. Of course, I can see how you got this wrong, memories not being your strong suit.

You didn't say that in your post, so I could only make the generalised comment. I know how important saving your family is, trust me. Sorry about them, but you still can't save everyone.
You traded in your wings
You never left me
You never let me

Everything that you feel
So when we dream
We shout....
Bert_the_Turtle

Pardon me if I get a little annoyed after a bunch of people post things like "I don't accept no win situations."

Its a hypothetical question! grrrr :x
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

I didn't say that, and I kinda got ignored... In fact, I was the first one to say that there would always be a situation where we couldn't save everyone.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

There has been in the past, and what it all boils down to is at the time, who do you want to save more?

Delta Sierra
Eilonwy Solstice

Doing our best

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

This has been weighing heavily on my mind lately . . . and the only answer I give is, “I do what I can.” Many of us have been given a gift to fight against the supernatural evil that stalks humanity . . . we should use that gift to the best of our ability. Nobody can ask anything more.

For us Americans, tomorrow is our Independence Day. We should remember them and their sacrifice to make this great nation. People like George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Adams, John Hancock and many others . . . they were traitors to the British Crown. If they had been caught . . . they would have died. Period.

I can’t say with any certainty what they were thinking when they first put pen to paper to sign their names. But I bet they knew that they could be killed if they lost, and that they could save a lot of lives if they won.

“Saving lives” has more than one interpretation. Let’s save who we can, when we can. Let’s remember the named and unnamed heroes alike.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Amen, Eilonwy...
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Yea well said.

This topic has come up late nights some times. I wish the guys would post their thoughts. An interesting glimpse on the various differences among the way some of us think.
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Thomas Sheldon

Post by Thomas Sheldon »

I'll agree with Eilonwy on that one.

Belive me shadowstalker no-win situations are out there, I am caught in one now.

Oh well, I'll fight the good fight, and we'll see if i'm too old for this shit yet or not.

Don't forget to sweep your six there berty, I'm closer than you think.
Good redeems it's own - Evil feeds upon it's self, lets make sure that the strongest arent the suvivors after meal time eh?
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

You choose the one(s) you can actually save. Do the best you can, save as many as you can.
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.