Operation Silver Strike - Day 1

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Kolya

Operation Silver Strike - Day 1

Post by Kolya »

We are back from our operation code named Silver Strike. Sorry for the delay, got hung up in debriefings.

After everyone arrived in Moscow we assembled at the GRU headquarters for the briefing. Without giving away too many classified details at this point, it went something like this: the plan was to go through a dimensional portal to a small island much like a tropical island in the Caribbean here on Earth to search for some missing Russian personnel that were working on the island. Their mission was to construct a base of operations for the upcoming show down with the powerful demon trying to take over the world that we have been chasing after for the last few months. After the briefing and formalities were completed we took a break for the night to recover from jet lag and chat with each other as some of us have never met. Early the next morning we went to Kosmodome in Baikonur, Kazakstan, where the dimensional portal would be opened for us.

With all of our gear there, including Bert's duck-truck, we assembled, inspected our gear, and then stepped through the portal. We came out the other side in ankle-deep water on the northeast side of the island. We were on a sandy beach that stretched along the northeast coast of the island, and the hinterlands quickly turned into mountains covered by thick jungle. After we all came through the portal a truck drove through with all of our gear and supplies. We off-loaded all that and began organising our perimeter defense, on which Sasha and Bert were taking the lead. The guys that had come before had a fair head start on things, so while the others were doing their thing, I checked out the command center and other semi-permanent structures that they had built. Everything was in order. Just the personnel were missing. I put Natasha to work on installing some improvements, specifically electric locks and various of her wards.

Night came upon us and we settled in so that we could start fresh in the morning our search for the missing personnel. The thick jungle canopy precluded aerial reconnaissance of the island, so we really had no idea of the interior of the island, except the size of the mountains. Our search was not going to be an easy one.

Bert had set up some flares to provide warning of where infiltrators were coming from, and we had identified those sectors by colour, which we could use for sitreps over the radio in case something were to happen. We were as prepard as we could be for an attack. Satisified that everything was in order, I started off the guard shift with Natasha. Everything was fairly quiet, rather nothing out of the ordinary was going on -- just normal jungle noises. Although as the night wore on things got louder and louder. Late in the night Razor reported checking on some noises he heard beyond the perimeter, finding only a couple of panthers on the hunt.

Those that were able to participate, will share their accounts of day 1 here.
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

I hope all went well Mr. Kolya. I would hate to see another competitor get a foot hold on earth.
By the hands of you fools, my Master shall be freed.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Glad your back, and I'm looking forward to the story of what all went down.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

The Dark Voice wrote:I hope all went well Mr. Kolya. I would hate to see another competitor get a foot hold on earth.
Me, too.

Actually, he did, but we cut it off. That is what you have to look forward to.
Last edited by Kolya on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

After the operational details were sorted, we went through the dimensional portal opened by our mages.

We arrived on the island to the small base our comrades already built. Kolya put me in charge of adding security to the structures. I installed electric locks which only our badges could open, and set up wards to keep unwanted people out. We stored our ammo, gear, water, food, and supplies -- which included extra fuel for Bert's duck.

When night appeared we organised guard duty, which always included me since I not sleep very long anyway. Bert had worked very hard getting things organised and set up.

The island is beautiful dense jungle island just like we find in the Caribbean Sea, which is basically one small jungle-covered handful of mountains. Unfortunately we visited it under horrible circumstances. Our comrades were all dead and we were there to find their bodies and bring them home for proper burial.

Morning approached. I was on duty with Razor. After hearing noises getting closer to the perimeter, Razor decided to go check it out. I watched him disappear into the jungle with my nightvision goggles. After some minutes - not sure how many exactly - he returned shaking his head. I could see it was nothing to worry about. As Kolya posted, just some prowling panthers.

With the end of his shift came the end of my shift. But before getting rest, I needed to feed my curiosity. I knew Sasha carries the katana for fighting spirits. I never saw someone else with a katana, except Razor. So I asked him if he carried it for some specific reason. And that sparked a conversation (which we post later).
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Glad your back, and I'm looking forward to the story of what all went down.
Glad we are back, too. It got close... it will be a few days before I can catch up here, but looks like another retard busted out of the asylum.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

I have been in many asylums over the centuries and have enjoyed my time in each one. There are very few places where suffering is so exquisite.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Shesh go away for a weekend and the weirdos come out.
On other bits I and a few of my team had tagged along on Kolya's little juant. it was intresting to say the least. I'll post more later.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

After arriving in Moscow we were assymbled at the GRU HQ for the mission briefing, This was all very straight forward and concise to make sure we all knew what we were getting into. After the meeting we all had a night to get over the jet lag and unwind, Natasha and I spent a good few hours going over her progress with some of the spells and tomes I gave her earlier this year. She was making good progress and had been amassing batteries as I instructed her to help in combat or other needed times. I think she may even be getting comfortable with the idea of going into a full combat stuation with only her magic and talisimans. The next morning we flew to Star City where we would be going throught the portal to the island, Natasha, Eric and I had a very enjoyable disscusion on the ways we channel our magics and found some new ideas to help in our advancing of our craft. The trip through the portal was a walk down memory lane for me, my mentor used to take me with him to other realms after I proved I was able to fit in and obey his instructions. My wife was of course already going before I ever did.

As we stepped on the beach and the slight disorientation from the realm change settled I inhaled deeply, this realm was very rich in abundant magical energy.

"We are on your mentor's home world now." Skullcrusher whispered to me, "There is some where we need to go when you are done here, it is the last of his wishes and will."

I hate the way that mace refuses more information sharing with me, even now we have not fully bonded the way she and my mentor had. I belive she is waiting for me to pass and for my daughter to take her up, damn rune weapons are a pain in the ass sometimes. At least we work well together when needed, a very rocky relationship. The camp was as described by the others, Bert and Sasha immediatly began setting up a defensive perimeter and some party favors in case it went south. I started looking for any traces that magic or the paranormal were involved in the camp's attack, there was no sign of magic and only very trace amounts of paranormal energy. We had a good dinner and began to get ready for a good nights sleep.
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

The specific times elude me, so I'll organize my recollection as to where we were when whatever I am recounting happened.

Russia: I arrived a couple days early, hoping to meet up with Natasha and friends for a little fun before the Op. As I expected however, everyone was very busy. I was fortunate to get a few minutes with them all when I had handed out the goodies I had brought, a small Thank You for everything they had done for the me the last time I had been in Russia. I fully intend to repay them in on a Grand scale at some future date.

The day of the Op, at the briefing, I was trying hard to pay attention but I had killed the last of a bottle of Vodka I had found the night before (very uncharacteristicly of me) and was pretty hungover. I don't drink so it doesn't take much. Anyhow, I had turned in my requisition forms early because I had some exotic materiel on there, I had to bribe my interpretor to get it all filled out in a timely fashion and I had to greese some palms to get all the materiel I wanted. It seems that wherever ya go, there ya are.

After the briefing I chatted it up with anyone who spoke English that I could lay my hands on. Those poor, poor, interpretors. Soon it was time to leave through the portal. After a final equipment check we found ourselves on a different world.

Alien Dimension:
First thing we made sure the site was secure. A thorough sweep revealed an empty base. We all got to work on our various duties. I setup perimeter alarms with various colored flares. A clever system that would illuminate would-be attackers and reveal their position. My turn at watch was early evening and all wa quiet. And I'll tell you, after a few hours stooped over or on my knees setting up tripwires and flares, I was ready for a quiet evening. Demolitionists tend to have bad backs and knees for just that reason. Anyhow, come nightfall I went out like a light. I was sleeping lightly though, and the sounds from the jungle awoke me. After ascertaining that nobody I knew was being mauled to death, I went back to sleep.
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

Drinking before a big op Mr. Turtle. Tsk, tsk, thats how people go BOOM. Wouldn't want to blow up your lovely russian friend now would you.
Bert_the_Turtle

The last two dimensions I went to were filled with demons. I literally held off armies both times. I had a right to that drink.

So shut your noisy sewer before I cut out your shit licking tongue you miserable excuse for a villain.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

Props to you Mr. Turtle (in all seriousness). I would offer you a job, but alas you are to much the do-gooder. But perhaps your werewolf friend might be interested. Thanks for leaving her in the care of the Spider during your little trip to Maine. Their close proximity has allowed me to locate her aura with ease now.

I'll make sure to bring silver, just in case she declines.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Keep it up Voice and you won't live out the week. I will see to that myself.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Bert_the_Turtle

Yeah, that ain't gonna work. She was at my training camp too. :twisted:
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

HAHAHAHA

Blind fools, while I lead you on with one hand, I take the prize with the other. Ghostspider is now mine.

Wasn't he at your camp too, Turtle? :twisted:
Bert_the_Turtle

I just got back from another fucking dimension, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

Mr. Turtle i'm not trying to prove anything to you, i'm just mocking you.

But please ignore if you wish, I have what I want.
Bert_the_Turtle

If you weren't trying to "prove something" or "make a statement" you wouldn't be doing all this exposition bullshit and you'd just go and do it.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Taking the fight to their world, something I wish I could do, but someone has to protect this one.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

We are fortunate to have caught this monster meddling on Earth before it really got a foothold here. Since we have the capability to decapitate it so that it cannot come back, it makes all the sense in the world to go for it.

I cannot say I am particularly looking forward to going back there. Give me the Caucusus anyday.

That place is just weirdness around every corner.
Bert_the_Turtle

I am actually looking forward to going back there. Oh, and Kolya, not that I know much about designing or constructing them, nor anything about architecture or cartography, but I made some notes and sketches about fortifying the island. I will get them to you soon.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Is that the same as saying, "I don't know anything about writing stories, but I went ahead and wrote one anyway." ? :)

Thanks, Bert, seriously.

As far as going back, well, could use some more fast movers and helos for air support. That place is just buzzing.... I was afraid Razor's head my explode.
Bert_the_Turtle

Haha, close. I have enough practical experience both defending and attacking Military Fortifications to know what works, how, why, where, and against what.

The basic plan is to clear the entire island of vegitation and use the mountains and hills for the location of concentric star shaped fortifications with interlocking fields of fire (the same kind the United States constructed in the 1800's). Old Fashioned Flak Cannons would be used for air defense, I think they would be more useful than silver missiles haha.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Yea that sounds like "notes and sketches"!

Sorry if I just trampled your 10 years of research tho. Apparently guys like me do that without even knowing it. :roll:
Bert_the_Turtle

I figure we can flatten out the elevations for the fortifications and dig into the mountains themselves for storage and living quarters. There's a long relatively flat plateau in the northern part we could convert into a airstrip, and a somewhat sheltered area in the south we can use as a dock.

How did you know I was working on this for 10 years? :P
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

You are just looking for excuses to blow things up. Sweet.

I know because I'm a dick. :lol:
Bert_the_Turtle

Haha, well, when I say "Level out" I mean make sure they are smooth and level for construction. Not blasting the mountains into plateaus haha.We can exploit the features for multi-tiered fortifications.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Ah, well, still some heavy lifting going on...

By the way, I know Michael T has a few thoughts on the matter, too.

We will have to arrange a meeting.
Bert_the_Turtle

I figure if we use traditional fortifications combined with Wards it'll be nearly impregnable.