Looking for specialized Katana

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
DarKnyht

Looking for specialized Katana

Post by DarKnyht »

Part of my training was with a bokken and various swords. For obvious reasons carrying around a sword in public is normally not a good option. However, I've learned that having a bokken on you is somewhat more acceptable if have the excuse of the classes. I think I would like to be even more prepared by having a Shikomizue available.

While I know that it is not as good as a my katana (my preferred weapon), I think I will be okay with the time I have been spending with fencing. It does need to be of high quality so that it cannot be detected as anything but what it appears to be. It anyone can give me a lead to something like this, please let me know.
“Whoever starts out toward the unknown must consent to venture alone.” - Andre Gide
Crosshair MT

Post by Crosshair MT »

Send me some specs on the blade and i'll see what I can do.
There will always be a reason to fear the unknown, fear is a good way to ground yourself in reality, or at least the part of it that leaves you sane. ( Funny term for those of us that deal with the supernatural.)
DarKnyht

Length

Post by DarKnyht »

It's a straight blade sword concealed into a cane or walking stick. Blade length is generally 29-31" long with a 10" handle.

It needs to be able to lock together with the scabbard to form what looks like a single piece or have a design that would explain the seam. Perhaps if the outside of the scabbard contained metal, that would help with disguising the metal blade inside?
“Whoever starts out toward the unknown must consent to venture alone.” - Andre Gide
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

if you have ever seen the "flask cane" that is a way to disguise the metal blade. you pull out the long cylindrical metal "flask" to set people's minds at ease. then when needed you pull the blade from the "flask"
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Crosshair MT

Post by Crosshair MT »

Give me a couple of weeks to see what I can pound out, dose it need to be metal? I have had good luck with a balistic grade ceramic for a few knives and a proto type sword I am still torture testing.
There will always be a reason to fear the unknown, fear is a good way to ground yourself in reality, or at least the part of it that leaves you sane. ( Funny term for those of us that deal with the supernatural.)
DarKnyht

Blade

Post by DarKnyht »

I think steel might be better. So far I have not heard of anything vulnerable to anything of ceramic, but I sure have heard of things vulnerable to iron, copper and other such metals. At least with a steel blade, I would something with iron in it.

I think the "flask cane" is a wonderful direction to take too. Thanks for the suggestion Shang Li.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's From Maine

I don't know much bout swords, but maybe you should try High Grade titanium, fold it a few dozen times, give it a lengthend tang for balance, and use a blue laser to sharpen the blade to extra keen blade. Afterswards I would bathe it in anointed oils and holy water.
Follow that with a blessing from several various religious holy men.

But thats only a suggestion.

Happy Huntin'
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

My personal Blade is a weighted poly-carb body with interchangable edges so I can use steel, silver, iron, lead, wood, or whatever the situation requires.

That flask cane strkes me as a step too far in the misdirection. If oyu need a blade in a hurry you'll have to fumble wiht the flask first. While you're busy with getitng the flask out of the way you might just end up with some unnecissary holes in your skin.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

That depends what you put in the flask. Thrice blessed Holy Water anyone?
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
Holister

Post by Holister »

You know what else you could do with that sword, for a little extra kick, you use a technique called Shark Skinning the sides of the blade. Kind of like a rasping file along the flat side of the blade, guaranteed to make a wound that isn't just some clean cut, but more like a tear.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

That is nasty but effective.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Holister

Post by Holister »

I subscribe to Knife & Sword Collectors Monthly 8-)
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Why am I not surprised.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Heck that ain't all, I also get Field & Stream, Big Game Fishing, Guns & Ammo, Huntsman Monthly, Soldier of Fortune, and Home & Garden.
DarKnyht

sword

Post by DarKnyht »

I think you are getting out of my price range at that point. I think I will stick with a simple and properly made flask sword.

I want the sword mainly for cuts and thrusts. I will rarely be chopping with it as it is not really made for it, so I don't think shark skinning will be of benefit. If I am looking for chopping or heavy damage, this blade won't have the weight or force behind it to do effectively.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's From Maine

At that point I would agree with Ron about the flask, hes an expert in the area of weapons. And bout making one, Crosshairs is perhaps your best bet at havin' one made from scratch.

Happy Huntin'
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

the extra friction on the way through from "shark skinning" is more a liability than a bonus. one way it makes your blade tend to stick in wounds, the other it tends to slow the passage through flesh causing the blade to be less likely to penetrate vital organs. talk to me after the summer solstice and i will have a blade for you. before everyone jumps in wanting one know that it takes me a good 6 months to make a "normal" blade. my blades made for "special" purposes take from 18 months to a decade to finish.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Thank you for the offer Shang Li, you honor me far more than I deserve.

Return to “Community Outreach”