Friggatriskaidekaphobia

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Ron Caliburn

Friggatriskaidekaphobia

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Perhaps it is just superstition, but then again, in this line of work superstitions are often true.

So I hate days like today. Perhaps I am triskaidekaphobic but each time I go out on a Friday the 13th, I almost buy.

Doesn't stop me from going out though. I've been trying to find something down in the blight for weeks. I know its there because pet disappearances and mutilations are on the rise. Seems like the things go for small animals first. Perhaps just testing the waters, learning its hunting ground before it tries to take on it's favourite prey. So I've been stalking the area for a few weeks with no results. Then there was a rash of dog attacks in the area. Now people have started to disappear.

Right now I'm not sure if I'm dealing with something that resembles a dog or can control dogs. Given the traffic of the last few months, I suspect a few more of the werewolves I'd been dealing with. The idea that it might be a pack frightens me.

The fact that it's Friday the 13th frightens me more. I've never come back without being bruised, bloody or broken on a Friday the 13th. With werewolves, there's always that lingering fear that any scratch, no matter how small, will result in the transfer of lycanthropy.

I couldn't deal with that.

Unfortunately sitting on my thumbs won't do what needs to be done. I have to go into the Blight and find out what's doing this, where they are and stop them.

I just want any of you who are my friends to know that if you suspect that I've been infected happening to me, please clear out my skull with a silver bullet. If I'm infected by lycanthropy I can't trust myself to do it myself, and I don't want to risk injuring you while you vainly try to cure me.

Anyway, I've got customers to tend to and I've got preparations to make.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm alive, though it was a close thing. I'm not too worried about lycanthropy either - just rabies and a concussion.

It's been a long 30+ hours in police custody and the hospital. I need to take care of some business and then I'll get back to tell you what happened.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Let's see how much of this I can get off before the headaches come back. I can't stare at the screen too long without wanting to heave my breakfast.

It was strange having a snowstorm that early in October, but I figured it was just my bad luck, stomping around in the snow chasing something wearing nice warm wolf's furs.

I was determined to come back with a pelt.

I should have figured something was up by the way Mr. Fluffers refused to get in the car. At the time I chalked it up to him not wanting to be cold - but I should have taken his advice and stayed home.

But no, there I was, out cruising the Blight in my car, loaded with silver ammunition, looking for a very bad dog.

Actually it didn't take too long. Just before midnight a pack of dogs crossed in front of my car, seeing a wolf at the lead of the pack, I floored the accelerator.

Yes, I know the dogs were innocent of any wrong doing of their own free will - but while they were under it's control, they were the enemy.

And no, I wasn't concerned about being wrong, after all, how many wolves do you see in the middle of the city?

I ploughed through the pack and hit the wolf square on, knocking it flying about 30 feet and slamming it into a dumpster. I hit the breaks and put the car in park. Thinking that this was too easy, I got out of the car, went to the trunk and grabbed the shotgun.

The wolf still hadn't moved.

I remember smiling as I raised the shotgun, it seemed like my luck had finally changed for the better.

I was wrong.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sierra
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The St. Bernard hit me going full out. It knocked the shotgun and me flying.

My head hit the ground and a a bright flash of light filled my brain. I almost lost consciousness then and there, but my instincts told me to keep awake.

My instincts also told me to get my arm up just at the right time, otherwise the St. Bernard's massive jaws would have ended up on my throat.

The arm protectors in my armour kept the dog from doing to much damage as it clamped down, but the shaking didn't do me much good as I was trying to clear my vision.

I kicked and I flailed at the dog. Throat, eyes, stomach, loins, anywhere I could punch, kick, or jab a finger into that might make it let go I tried, but the dog was past feeling pain and was shaking me like a red headed step child.

Through the blur I could see someone else there. Part of my concussion addled brain tried to believe that some stranger had been out walking around, in the snow, naked, and had picked up my shotgun to help me fight the dog.

I kicked my brain into gear just in time to put the bulk of the dog between me and the man with the gun. Not that he cared, he fired anyway. The pellets that made it through the dog were stopped by my armour - but I have some nice bruises.

I pushed the dog off of me, reached for my sidearm and got up to my knees before the vertigo hit me.

I could hear it laughing as it cycled the action of the shotgun.

It was then I knew I was in trouble. I could only barely see and stand. I was surrounded by a pack of mind controlled dogs. Worst of all, the monster had my gun and knew how to use it.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sierra
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

In regards to Friday the 13th, it's now considered a day of ill omens and bad luck, because it was on a Friday the 13th that the Catholic church of the Medieval period betrayed and attacked the most devout order of the Knights Templar. The day itself means little, if anything else, to the casual historian.

Of course, there are those of us who feel that the betrayal by the Catholics, and a potential curse by the supporters of the Templars, may have given us very real reason to fear the malfortunes of this day...

I wish I could've been there to help heal you, my friend, if I couldn't've been there to back you up. You've been posting, so I know it ends the best way a story could end--with you walking away from the situation alive.

What else happened?
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Sorry, I'm still getting nausea and headaches if I look at the screen too long.

Being barely able to stand, I think I did a very good job of throwing myself behind my car before the shotgun went off. Fortunately I've customized my car for a variety of eventualities otherwise the 00 buckshot would have gone right through the body work and caught me.

I scrambled along the side of my car, trying to put as much of it between me and him again.

He was laughing at me while he racked and fired the shotgun a couple of more times.

"I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears." he mocked me.

I poked my gun around the side of the car and fired a few times at where I thought he was. I ducked back before the next volley of shot, though not quite fast enough - one of the pellets creased my forehead coating my face in a red mask of my own blood and further buggering my vision.

"I got you didn't I? I can smell it. When this is over I'm going to feast on you."

He was enjoying this.

"Won't you come out to play with me some more Mr. Hunter. I promise I won't shoot until you're ready . . ."

Fat chance.

Something thumped on the hood of my car, instinctively I pointed my gun and fired. The yelp told me it was one of the dogs he had with him. A moment later a dark shape rushed around the edge of my car.

By the time I got my gun on it, my gun was almost halfway down the doberman's throat. The back of it's head blew of quite satisfactorily.

Then the rest of the pack was on me. A golden lab knocked me over while a poodle went after my face. A Jack Russel's teeth were fortunately deflected by my groin protector.

I managed to clear my blade and slash the lab's throat open. Another point blank shot took care of the Jack Russel, while a well placed boot knocked the poodle away. When it began to rise I put two shots into it.

BLAM!!

The monster had come around the end of the car while his dogs had me busy and let me have a full load point blank.

Fortunately silver is a poor penetrator and my armour managed to stop it.

Unfortunately it left me on the ground, gasping for breath as he racked the slide again and walked over to point the barrel under my nose. I could smell the burnt gun powder and my blood

"When I was told I could find a hunter in this town, I was expecting something a bit more formidable. Any last requests?"

It was then the police cruiser turned the corner and roared up the street with it's lights and siren on.

The monster turned to the oncoming cruiser, raised the shotgun and fired. The drivers side of the front windshield shattered and the car veered out of control, knocked over a hydrant and slammed into a light post.

I rolled around the end of my car and got my feet under me. Shakily I stood up.

The monster turned around and pointed the shotgun at me.

"Well at least you get to die on your feet." He racked the gun and pulled the trigger.

Click.

"You forgot, I know how many bullets are in that thing."

I emptied the rest of my clip into him, rocking him backwards forcing him down.

I dropped my empty and slammed in a fresh and stood over the beast, shooting down into him. At that range the bullets were passing clean through him and ricocheting up off the street into his back, lifting him a little with each shot - making it look like he was still moving. I almost put a third clip into him because of that.

Instead I staggered through the falling snow and the spray from the fire hydrant to the cruiser and opened the driver's door. The policewoman in the driver's seat had taken the spray of broken glass and shotgun pellets in the face. I reached across her and grabbed her radio and called in an officer down.

I stumbled back out through the spray and snow. I was cold, wet, bruised, battered, bleeding and my vision still wasn't cleared up. I made my way back towards my car so I could get out of here before I got entangled with the police.

My foot bumped against the beast's body and I looked down at it for a moment. It looked dead.

Too dead.

Like been dead three days dead.

None of the bullet wounds were bleeding either.

I realized the danger I was in a split second before it opened it's eyes.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delta Sierra
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Not that it did me much good, I was too close and it was too fast. It swept my legs out from under me and threw me against my car all in one motion.

You see, I had been mistaken. All along I had been thinking another werewolf like the others I had put down over the last month or so.

I forgot there were other creatures that can turn into wolves and control dogs.

Creatures, like vampires.

The vampire wrapped it's hands around my neck and lifted me to snarl in my face, but a look of pain flashed across it's face and it dropped me almost immediately.

You see, even when I am not prepared for vampires, I am prepared for vampires. Each side of the neck protector on my armour has a holy symbol woven into it, and the vampire was now staring at the marks those symbols had burned into the palms of it's hands.

Not hesitating, I grabbed the vampire myself. You see, I have the same holy symbols woven into the palms of my gloves too. Each touch seas the blood sucker's flesh a little. Not enough to harm it, I know, but enough to maybe give me some breathing room.

When I saw my opening I reached for my Blade . . .

And got clobbered again. The bloodsucker was just too damned fast and knocked me flying back against my car again.

I'd taken too much punishment at this point. I just kinda slid down the side of the car, struggling to breathe.

It backed away a few steps to assess the situation. Realizing I was out of commission, it crossed the street and picked up a concrete stone bench. It looked like it had decided to make me the meat in a rock and hard place sandwich.

That is when the cops responding to the officer down call showed up. The vamp just hissed, dropped the bench, turned into a cloud of mist and disappeared up into the clouds.

And I was left surrounded by cops who thought I had just shot their comrade.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The nicest thing about getting taken into custody was that they took me to the hospital.

Unfortunately that's about it for pleasantries.

Things looked bad enough when the police got to the scene - but then they disarmed me.

I co-operated as best I could (resistance was not in my interests at that point) but it took a good 25 minutes or so to carefully remove every one of my weapons from it's hiding place and place it on the ground. All the while about half a dozen MP-5/40s were trained on me.

I don't think I realized how much hardware I actually carried. Fortunately everything is licenced and registered.

Then came the questions. Ceaseless questions. What were you doing there? Who shot the officer? Why were there so many dead dogs? Why do you carry so many weapons? Why are so many of those weapons silver? Why were you wearing body armour? Didn't I buy a back up piece from you last month?

This is what I've always feared - an entanglement with the police. My work requires a certain degree of freedom of action without police interference. Now that was likely to be thoroughly compromised.

I have another reason. A while back I beat a rap - because the judge didn't think I was fit to stand trial. I got put into an institution until they could not conclude anything but I was sane. I don't want to have that spectre back in my life again.

Still, though I co-operated as best I could I refused to answer any questions about what had actually happened until I got the chance for my phone call.

Frustrated that I hadn't slipped up, they let me have the call.

I think they were rather surprised at who arrived at the hospital. I think they were expecting a lawyer or a loved one.

They got an assistant director of the FBI.

The assistant director talked to the lead detective for a few minutes. The detective I think was still to off guard to object when the assistant director asked for a few minutes alone with me. The city cops left the room.

The assistant directer walked over to the bed side and looked me up an down silently for a few moments.

"Ron, you're a mess."

"I know. Sorry to call you in the middle of the night Ted."

"Don't apologize yet, but if you're wasting my time or putting me into a position that could cost me my career, no apology is going to be worth it. They think you almost killed a cop." He crossed his arms across his chest and gave me his sternest, show-me-this-is-worth-it look.

Almost . . .

"She's alive, good. I don't think I could take one of my guns killing a cop."

"So you did shoot her?" His face went from stern to homicidal in about 2 seconds.

"NO! No, of course not."

"Then what happened?"

"Grab a chair, this might take a while."

So I told him, everything. From suspecting a werewolf on the prowl to finding the pack of dogs lead by the wolf, to getting caught off guard, to getting my weapon taken away, to getting on the wrong end of a blast of buckshot to the arrival of the female officer, to bringing the monster down, to calling in the wounded officer, to realizing that I was facing a vampire, to getting the short end of it again, to having the police arrive and save my sorry butt for the second time in the same night.

He just sat there and quietly took it all in, analyzing, deconstructing and otherwise mulling it over. "Thats a hell of a story."

He stood up and began to pace. "So you shot up a neighbourhood, got yourself trashed, got a police officer shot and the monster still got away?"

"Yeah, it's kind of hard to sugar coat it."

He stopped pacing and looked out the window. The faint lightening of the Eastern horizon was just beginning. "You ain't just whistling Dixie, Ron. But it doesn't add up. You never make those sorts of mistakes. I'm not sure your story holds water."

"I know. I've been suspicious too, and I've been playing it over and over in my head. I think I figured it out."

That got an arched eyebrow. "Go on."

"Okay a few weeks ago I tangled with the undead. Me and another hunter were attacked at my place. We repelled the attack and tracked it back to a hotel in town where we thought we eradicated it - but the other guy thinks that not all the baddies were accounted for when the dust settled. Other than that, the last few months have been almost entirely werewolves.

"So tonight, with all the evidence pointing to a werewolf I go out and look for one and it all but falls into my lap. I don't think I've ever found the bad guy just crossing the road in front of me before.

"So I make my move and wham, I'm surrounded and dealing with a monster I wasn't totally prepared for. A monster that knows he tools and tactics of monster hunter. . .

"I think I was setup."

He looked back out the window. "Interesting hypothesis Ron, but how?"

"Well, I'm not sure entirely, but I think that the undead that I dealt with a few weeks ago might have called in back up. An expert on dealing with hunters. That expert was supplied with information about me and my techniques. It found out that I had been bringing down werewolves lately and it set up an ambush."

He turned back to face me. "Then, if you were so outmanoeuvred, why are you alive?"

"Because that young woman took the blast that was meant for me, and because I was able to keep myself alive just long enough for too many witnesses to show up."

He looked back out the window again. I hate it when people turn their back on me. "So, assuming I believe you, what do you think I can do for you? The circumstantial evidence is a mile high and it will be the end of my career if I help someone suspected of shooting a cop go free."

"I didn't bring you here to ask for your help if was going to cost you. Anything you can do is more than appreciated, but I'm not trying to bring you down."

There was a long, long pause.

"Kelly's sweet sixteen is next month." He sighed. "She wants you to be there."

"You know my answer. How is she doing?"

"She still has nightmares, but that's all. She's turned into a well adjusted, beautiful, vibrant girl." He turned back to me, his face soft with remembered terror. "Promise me you'll find that vampire Ron, I'll go see what I can do."

"You know I will Ted. Thanks."

Ted brought the detective back in and explained a few things too him and had me tell the whole story again. Then Ted told the detective his story. The detective remained sceptical, but ultimately he was swayed if not convinced.

They kept me in the hospital a few more hours for observation, but that was it.

Now I'm back at home, repairing gear, making plans and healing. I'm pretty sure this thing knows where I live, if it got information from those guys that came after KT and me last month. So I've taken to sleeping during the day and freshening up some of the herbs KT told me to hang at night.

Just so you know, Ted's daughter, Kelly, was 12 when I rescued her - it was the first time I killed a vampire. If I had found her a few hours later, I would have had to kill two vampires.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sierra
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Ron glad you ok all things considered. I would like to be the first to offer any help that I can. The fact that this looks like a setup is something to be more than a little worryed about. Whatever arrangements you make good luck and good hunting.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well so far my security measures has held. Mr. Fluffers hasn't twitched out of his normal routine either, so I think it's a good bet that the bloodsucker isn't going to be coming in after me when I'm still wounded - and it strikes me as too smart an opponent to pass up an opportunity like that.

So I suspect I'll have to track this thing down once I've finished recovering from the beating, repairing my gear and replenishing my supplies (between the shotgun and handgun, almost 2 grand in silver got expended in a few minutes street fight).

Which leaves me the unpleasant possibility of having to go after this thing, again, on ground of it's choosing, again, with it knowing I'm coming, again, and it knowing a good chunk of my playbook, again.

This won't go well.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sierra
Celeste Darken

I am surprised at you, Caliburn

Post by Celeste Darken »

You are not the only one who has had trouble over a Friday the 13 weekend, Mr. Caliburn. Though it took only a single night to go through with our Church Assault, it will not be a night to forget.
But . . . I am surprised, Mr. Caliburn. I somehow had it in my mind you were a match for any vampire. The ease of the creature defeating you and escaping uninjured truly astonishes me. But do not take my criticism too harshly; I hate my brethren more than any supernatural beast that threatens humanity, and you were taken by surprise as well. Your recent melee with one only reinforces my belief that vampires are indeed a deadly threat to reckon with, even for the best of us. Not the most deadly, but certainly a bane to humanity.

And . . . good luck in your rematch.
Death isn’t a state of nothingness. It’s a journey. What path are you forging?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

In my experience, there are two kinds of vampires.

1) The predator, looking and hunting for it's next meal, barely able to control itself.

2) The genius, A sophisticated monster who has moved past worrying about where it's next meal will come from and has moved on to pursue it's higher aims - usually the acquisition of power, wealth and slaves.

I suspect I met one of the latter type last week.

It won't be the first of those I faced, but each time I've come up against one of these, they have taken me to the limit - usually with me having the element of surprise.

I've always know I'll be on the defencive sooner or later, but it hasn't really happened until this past month or so. I've usually been able to keep my contact with the monsters (of all kinds) short, intense and lethal. Slain monsters don't come back for revenge.

I need a way to do some reconnaissance without tipping my hand.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delta Sierra
Celeste Darken

Limited Experience

Post by Celeste Darken »

Ron Caliburn wrote:In my experience, there are two kinds of vampires.

1) The predator, looking and hunting for it's next meal, barely able to control itself.

2) The genius, A sophisticted mosnter who has moved past worrying about where it's next meal will come from and has moved on to pursue it's higher aims - usually th acquistion of power, wealth and slaves.

I may possibly be a modification of number two. My goals still stand.

Though I suspect I am beyond your experience.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Aye, you may be that, but my first experiences rarely let the other guy have another.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

So, if you believe that this is related to what was going on before; do you think KT is in as much trouble as you are?
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

I'm not in trouble, yet, but with the guardian spirits in our home, and with me constantly maintaining and reinforcing the wards around my home, my family and I should be practically invisible on the radar. I'll be vulnerable when I'm at work, but when even *I* don't know where I'm gonna be from one day to the next, it should make it even harder to track me.

I also usually tend more towards the defensive hunting type, rather than the offensive. I don't go after the baddies unless they come after me first. That way, no matter what, I get to choose the time and place, and force the home team advantage, so to speak.

I would be more like Ron, being a more active hunter, but I have too much to worry about. Just like the druids and witches of old, I have a family to care for, and a life to live, outside of hunting monsters and protecting innocents from demons.

I go back to work on Monday... We'll see what, if anything, comes of it, and I'll most certainly keep y'all posted.

Ron, it's good to know you're on the mend. No matter what, make sure you're well-healed before you go back out there after that 'sucker. They're going to try to draw you out beforehand, because with the defenses I added, there shouldn't be any way they can get to you.

Just keep in mind, our job is to save everyone that we humanly can. If you're not at your best, no matter what happens, DON'T GO OUT THERE. You're no good to anyone if you're dead. That could end up really sucking, but just remember this... If you willingly give your life to try and save one, you most likely will not only fail to save that life, but fail to save a great deal of lives further down the road. Everyone's counting on you, Ron.

On all of us. Including each other.
Bert_the_Turtle

Well, I wish you luck. If I weren't still healing after the assault on the Church I'd offer my help to you both.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Don't you worry KT, I have no intention of going out after this thing until I'm ready to fight it, and though I'm no longer suffering the dizzy spells, my headaches and vision problems aren't gone away yet - so I know I won't be able to go out and do what needs to be done.

I want to destroy the beast, not become another of its victims.

Unfortunately the best I think I can pull off right now is neutral turf without either of us having the element of surprise - and I doubt I'll get so lucky.

KT, I am glad to know you and family are okay - just keep a good watch out.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sierra
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Always, my friend. I wish I could take some more time off and come help you, but with the added costs of formula, and with my wife's maternity leave, our finances are already uncomfortably tight. My family needs my income...

Hmm... Neutral ground. Ron, why don't I return the favor you paid to me? Close up shop for a week, and make it well-known you're coming up here. Leave a day early, in the middle of the day; that alone should keep you safe from attacks. If they really are after you, then by the time they've caught up to you, it won't be them facing a wounded and lone Mr. Caliburn.

We may not be able to get them into a position of home field advantage, but we should be able to get that neutral ground you were hoping for...

(Also, the more intelligent and cunning vamps don't seem to go on killing sprees in nicer neighborhoods, so if you're in this vicinity, the innocents may be safer, too...)
Bert_the_Turtle

Sounds like a smart plan to me, assuming Ron is in any condition to travel.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The idea is tempting, but the only way I could put the word out about that is to do it here, and if it monitors here, then it will already have a leg up.

I suspect, if the thing was sent here, the instructions pretty much amounted to "Theres a hunter in this building we'd like taken care of." If the guys who came after KT were regular monitors of these boards they would have known that there was a well armed hunter in the place they tried to off him. They also would have realized we were on to them and left town.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra
Celeste Darken

This may be the time

Post by Celeste Darken »

KonThaak wrote:(Also, the more intelligent and cunning vamps don't seem to go on killing sprees in nicer neighborhoods, so if you're in this vicinity, the innocents may be safer, too...)

I believe you’re right on that one, Konthaak, though I don’t know what you mean by “nicer” neighborhoods. But I think this vampire may just follow Mr. Caliburn wherever he may travel. Vampires have pride too, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this one wants to “sever the artery,” if you’ll pardon the expression. I suspect this vampire, if it has an idea of Caliburn’s identity, will be a very regular attendee on this board. To travel or remain stationary will likely have equal amounts of risk. And, as unfortunate as it may sound, you may already be “taken care of,” Mr. Caliburn. If you must rest and recuperate, then you are out of action already – just as good as dead, if they only need you out of the way for so many nights.

Ron Caliburn wrote:I have no intention of going out after this thing until I'm ready to fight it

What? You must be ready now! This may very well be the best time to attack it, if you can find it. Very likely it’s preaching to the choir in this respect, but don’t give up vigilance, Mr. Caliburn, physically and mentally. And speak often as you can to friends, especially those that may possess psychic abilities and the ability to sense such phenomena. Under the instruction of my sire, I killed many would-be hunters. And those I didn’t slay immediately, I attacked in more insidious ways . . . mentally. I got them questioning their skills, their confidence, and the difference they were making in the world. Quite often, they died through feelings of sheer hopelessness and despair. Though humility is indeed a laxative that ought to be taken often, forgo a few doses here. Do not doubt yourself. Do not let this defeat trouble you more than it should.

In terms of trying to find it, this vampire will likely try to present an aura of sorts, which may or may not be a true display of its personality. Invincibility is always one, but it may try to present a feeling of bloodlust, control, or absence. That is, it may feed far more often than necessary, or not at all. Check newspapers and hospitals, and not only for victims of possible vampire attacks, but thefts of supplies. Hospitals always carry stashes of blood for transfusions and surgeries. If you have the proper links, find out if there are any unaccounted losses in the blood bank.

And lastly . . . be strong. Need I say more?
Last edited by Celeste Darken on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celeste Darken

Be prepared - Take nothing for granted

Post by Celeste Darken »

Celeste Darken wrote:You must be ready now!

I should clarify that statement. Of course I do not advocate blindly rushing against a vampire, who has already defeated you once in battle, while your wounds are still fresh and bleeding. But, you must be prepared for such an event of it happening, especially if the vampires does track you down. Do to not hesitate to trust in known allies, and do not take bed rest for granted. Evil never sleeps; I should know. Konthaak and Willie have offered their aid. Reject them at your own risk. I would hate to have one of evil’s staunchest enemies slain because he was to prideful to admit he needed help.
Last edited by Celeste Darken on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Which leaves me the unpleasant possibility of having to go after this thing again, on ground of it's choosing, again, with it knowing I'm coming, again, and it knowing a good chunk of my playbook, again.This won't go well.

Check your PMs. My calendar's open, Jack, and I got moves it ain't never seen.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
http://usashaolintemple.org/
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm working on a plan, believe me. It's only OpSec that's keeping me from blabbing.

As for going out right now, trust me Celeste, the spirit's willing, but the flesh is weak. The dizzy spells only went away a couple of days ago, and my ribs are still too sore for strenuous physical activity. We don't all recover as fast as you do.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

"We don't all recover as fast as you do."

Amen to that. I'm still waiting on this psychic healer to show up. If you want, Ron, I can see if he's willing to take a trip to your place when he's done here.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm playing a few angles, believe me. I hope to have this all wrapped up by Hallowe'en.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Okie dokie.
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Celeste, believe you me, the last thing I was worried about was Ron's spirit. I've spent a week with him, and when I heard about this, the biggest thing I was worried about was him trying to pull heroics when his body was still badly battered. I had nightmare visions of him getting himself killed trying to save some poor innocent, but since he gets killed, the vampire lives, and the victim dies, anyway...

Not all of us are blessed with any form of rapid regeneration. You and I are lucky; you have it naturally, I have it magically. However, remember, when I was attacked in my own home, I ended up spending myself out completely, magically, and had to rely on the hospital's ER to get myself on the path to recovery. It was a few days before I could heal myself. (And I think the doctor might still think I should be in a cast... I dunno, I skipped out on my return visit, told him I'd been to another doctor, that my insurance insisted I see, and he'd insisted I was fine.)

Anyway, Ron, the offer still stands. Even if they do monitor these boards, there's no way a vamp can track you during the day. Even if they could now identify you, they still can't, me. All they know is that I'm in a Chicago suburb, and that it's a "nicer neighborhood" (which describes--ooh, about 75% of the ones that I've seen). Even if you don't take me up on my offer, as always, if you think of anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
Celeste Darken

No blessing for me, but a curse

Post by Celeste Darken »

KonThaak wrote:Not all of us are blessed with any form of rapid regeneration. You and I are lucky;

Blessed? Lucky? No, my friend, I possess nothing that resembles anything holy. It's a curse, pure and simple. I heal fast because I am a vampire. Any merit such an ability holds is instantly offset by the prices paid for it: to be a blight upon nature; to have zealous hunters ready to kill without quarter; to be stereotyped as a monster. Any powers I have that sets me above humanity, I use for their benefit.

You, as a druid of nature, are the one that is lucky and blessed; to see the sunlight and not be burned by its pure heat. To be on intimate terms with nature, not shunned by it.

KonThaak wrote:Even if they do monitor these boards, there's no way a vamp can track you during the day.

Don't be so certain. There are still human pawns and slaves. Be near to help him, if Caliburn allows it; be near him to help him, even if he doesn't allow it.