Strange "visitors"

Notices, advisories, and questions answered by official Lazlo Agency staff.
KonThaak

Strange "visitors"

Post by KonThaak »

There's been a sharp increase in the number of restless spirits in the past few months, and there are a lot of reasons for this. In America alone, there're still a lot of people now living in constant paranoia and fear, especially among the elderly, who fear for their families. I blame our "esteemed" leader, whose incompetence seems to know no bounds. (Another of our leaders once said we needed only fear fear itself, and now this fool tells us to live in constant fear?)

And even though I've been trying to live under a nice, happy rock, lately, I've still managed to hear of incredibly unhappy news from the Middle East. Before I crawled under a rock, I was hearing of increased terrorist activity in Europe. The "civilized" world is crumbling, and we're headed for nasty times.

But back to the point of this post... I've been getting more and more spirits breaking through the wards on my house and frightening my wife inadvertently. They're confused, frightened, and desperate... Like animals running on instinct, they've become drawn to anyone they sense can help them.

Has anyone else here been experiencing this rise in spiritual activity, or is it just me? I'd advise anyone who is experiencing this to proceed with caution; a distressed spirit can turn hostile if something triggers negative memories, if they're slighted, or even just if they feel like it...and that's not mentionning the standard dangers of demons or other spiritual monsters pretending to be a distressed human spirit just to get close to those of us who can "see" or "feel" them.
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Buisness has been hopping for e too, but I usually don't deal with the insubstantials.

The beasts are coming in from the forest.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Dante Andel

Post by Dante Andel »

I'v been seeing more spirits to, though I'v just been putting it off as something the weirdos in the church have been doing has maybe unsettled the dead a bit.

Thanks for the info though, didn't realise they were actually managing to break through wards, now thats kind of unsettling really.
Gothicfox

Post by Gothicfox »

Breaking through wards? Any of them I know?
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Desperation and fear can drive a soul pretty far... The ones that broke through the wards did so at great pain and cost to themselves, and they only succeeded through attempting to do it en massé. It's like a group of panicked patrons knocking down a locked door to get out of a burning building; some of them get seriously hurt or trampled in the process.

Gothic, I couldn't tell you if you know any of them; I've been making it a point not to ask about histories... It's hard enough to calm them all down; last thing I need is to ask, "So where're you from?" and have it trigger some negative emotion that causes them to start lashing out...

Pity ghosts don't carry wallets; I could make a killing this way...
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Buisness has been hopping for e too, but I usually don't deal with the insubstantials.

The beasts are coming in from the forest.

Okay, Ron, this has been bugging me since I saw this, and I've stayed quiet about my discomforts long enough. What's coming out of the forest? What forest, for that matter?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I was being both figurative and literal at the same time.

In my experience, most of these critters don't appear in the city spontaneously. Usually my friendly geek who looks this stuff up for me can find a "trail" of sightings, disappearnces and strange happenings leading into an urban area before things go nasty in the city.

It seems a lot of these things live out in the wilds and then for what ever reason (habitat destruction, lack of prey, easier pickings) move into the city. My Geek buddy points out that the rate of "incidents" usually doubles or tripples within a few weeks of them entering the city and continues to accellerate until the creature either gets killed or is sated at which point the rate of incidents declines to about twice that it did when it was out in the wilds.

Once the critter is established like that, tracking them down becomes much, much harder - which is why I try to jump on any surge in activity - get the monsters before they know thier way around.

Back to my current situation, we've had asurge in the number of incidents in the last while. Heck, I couldn't even take off my birthday this past weekend because I was on the hunt.

Perhaps the most disturbing trend for me, is the surge in the number of werewolves. I've encountered more werewolves in the past month than I have in the past 5 years. I don't knwo if it could be described as a migration, but I suspect an entire pack (maybe two) have moved into town.

Fortunately I made a big sale to a nearby sherrif's department looking to update it's SWAT team so I can afford all the silver I need.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

Werewolves you say?

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you deal with them normally? I only fought one so far and I over prepared a bit too much, not knowing exactly what I was getting into. That was shortly after I got out of the military and I wasn't taking any chances back then.
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well, in my experience, you can never be underprepared for hunting a werebeast - unless those prepartions leave you too heavy to move or without the ability to deal with the sitation when that werebeast turns out to be (surprise) say a demon or something.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Well, like I said it was shortly after I left the service and only a few weeks after learning that the Supernatural was in fact real.

So, I was looking for some lost hikers in the New Jersey Pine Barrens, and I did manage to find them, well what was left of them. I've seen remains of soldiers shredded by Claymores that were more intact. Anyhow, I find some tracks, and long story short, I end up running to and scaling one of those watchtower/ranger stations scattered about in the woods. Sat up in that damn thing all night with my Survival knife in one hand and my Colt .45 in the other.

Next day I meet up with one of my new aquaintences to find out if he has any Intel for me. Tells me some crazy stories about the Loup Garou, rambles for an hour. I say, "You mean werewolves?" He goes, somewhat disappointed "Yeah, werewolves." I reply,"Why didn't you say werewolves at the start? You could've skipped all the history and just said its a werewolf, you kill it with X." Anyway, this is where I think I overdid it.

So I spend the next couple of days preparing: making belts of silver ammunition for my Ma Deuce (That's a Browning 50 calibre machinegun), making sure my sidearm was loaded with silver slugs, and coating a long length of Razor Ribbon with silver. In the end I have a net of steel cables intermingled with silver coated razor ribbon, my machinegun (which was not easy to err "liberate" when I left the military) was loaded with about 200 rounds of silver and I ended up banned from the local petting zoo for stealing a goat (live bait is hard to come by).

So I scout out a good location in the woods, setup my little trap with the net and the razor ribbon, and I make sure there's a Ranger Station nearby just in case things go horribly horribly wrong (Murphy and I are old aquaintences).

Night falls, a few hours after dark there's this rumbling in the woods and the werewolf comes out, takes the bait (I recommend never watching a werewolf eat if you can help it) and I spring the trap. Works like a charm, whenever it tried to rip through the cables the razor ribbon dug in. And then I open up with short bursts from my MG. Well after I used up the first belt there was less left of the werewolf then there was of the hikers. I shredded it and most of the net it was hanging in. I was too enthusiastic and actually took out a few trees behind the werewolf.

So yeah, I think I may have found out where overkill begins. But that's not the end of the tale.

That's when I knew I was in trouble, it was too easy. Wouldn't you know there were two of the damn things?

I didn't have time to reload or even reposition the Ma Deuce, and the Werewolf was behind me so it was between me and the damned Ranger Station. So I take off at a dead run forward and swing up into the lower branches of the tree the other werewolf was hanging from, I'll tell ya werewolf viscera is slick.

So I'm scrambling up the damn tree, I get to the highest branch that can support my weight and I'm firing one handed at the thing while trying to keep my balance. Then it starts climbing up after me! Nobody told me these things could climb! So I draw my survival knife and cut through the last of the cables holding up the net and send it tumbling down on the werewolf. Even though it was in tatters it was in enough solid parts to slow it down while I emptied the rest of my clip and my spare into it.

Times like that I wish I was proficient with Shotguns, I coulda really used the extra firepower of a sawed off pump action while I was in that damned tree.

So in the end I ended up almost getting chomped but managed to take out two werebeats. Not bad for a few days' work.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well I mentioned compromising your mobility and a .50 does that. I shudder to think how much money it took you to set up a belt of silver half inch.

I'd also be concerned about an appropriate back stop for the .50. I do most of my work in an urban environment, so somehting that large, loud and able to kill people a half mile on the other side of my target even if I do score a hit is not really worthwhile for me. That being said, I have dealt a Barret to a nearby Police EOD unit, so I have had the chance to put the .50 through it's paces and was suitibly impressed.

There are three mistakes you made, imho.

1) You had a bad idea of the capabilities of your prey. I can't say I'm the most learned monster hunter out there, but I do make sure I know what the creature can and can't do and am adequately prepared for such. This includes things like being able to climb trees and the possibilities of the monster havng a friend.

2) Poor choice in weapons. By using a bit heav weapon like that you gave up the abillity to manouvr and fire. Fortunately for you the other werewolf didn't jump you while you were still firing your .50. You would have had no idea it was there until it sunk it's fangs in. This is part of why I prefer shotguns, rifles and carbines that are light enough and small for me to go full out in, but powerful enough to inflict a hurting on the critters. Also a lot cheaper to get ammunition for.

3) Placing the battle on their turf. I don't care if the bad guy has the bes personal arms and armour that money can buy and I'm limited to my back up piece and my fruit of the looms. If he steps into my house, I still have the advantage of knowing how to get around, how to find cover, set ambushes and all the other things that can drive agressors nuts. That's one of the key reasons I raely go out into the woods after these sorts of things - I'm giving them too much of an advantage. Instead I make sure that the ones that come here (and they are the one that end up killing the most people) don't get a chance to get comfortable.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Ok, let me respond to your points one at a time.

"Well I mentioned compromising your mobility and a .50 does that. I shudder to think how much money it took you to set up a belt of silver half inch."

Yeah I lost a ton of money on that job, but to my credit I only actually had to fight one of the werewolves, the other I strung up in a net and killed. And those .50 cals are heavy but I can carry one around with some other gear without too much trouble. The worst is you can't hear too well (IE much of anything) when firing one and its cumbersome to change belts without someone else manning the gun with you.

"I'd also be concerned about an appropriate back stop for the .50. I do most of my work in an urban environment..."

Definitely, had I been operating anywhere near people that night I would've used much different tactics.

"There are three mistakes you made, imho."

Well I was new at the job back then and prior to retiring from the military I was working in a SpecOps unit so I spent most of my time in the backyard of whomever our current enemy was.

"1) You had a bad idea of the capabilities of your prey."

Decidedly, I was never the most studious of people and always depended largely on a mission briefing to give me the highlights. I'm much better about gathering my own Intel now and I have better sources now than I had when this went down (about a year ago.)

"2) Poor choice in weapons..."

Once again I agree, although I am still of the opinion that something that can split an engine block in half can be very useful and a dangerous weapon against some SupNats (Super Naturals) under the right circumstances. Like if whatever you're fighting is largely immobile and you're out in the middle of nowhere.

"3) Placing the battle on their turf..."

Agreed, though at that point I spent almost my entire (short) military career playing in the backyard of my enemies, and I was cocky and overconfident.

If you take a look at the Roll Call thread, you'll see my first encounter with the Supernatural there, but it also details the kind of work my squad did a lot. That particualr night we were out to stop/slow down a entire platoon ourselves so I ended up employing my usual tactics here and it almost literally bit me in the ass.

Thanks for the commentary and advice though.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Glad to hear you've developed a bit better graspof the trade since then.

If you're interested in some shotgun training, I have about every certificate the local, state and federal governments have to offerfor buying, selling, trading and training in firarms. I even have a practice range usable for realistic combat training.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

That'd be great Ron. I'm in Las Vegas right now helping Dante and Celeste though. There's some real bad stuff going on here and it'll only get worse if we fail. To give you an idea of how bad, if the location was in the middle of the desert and not in a Commercial/Residential Zone I'd forego the .50 and take a Tac Nuke. Yes, it is that potentially bad.
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Sorry, I couldn't type for a few days... Had another rush on Tuesday, and a demonic entity decided to slip in with all of them. It's the second time this has happened since all this began, but I was less cautious than the first time, mostly because I wasn't expecting the rush to begin with, and the demon led the "charge" into my home.

When it started attacking me, all the other spirits scattered, deciding to find someone else to help them come to terms with their deaths... Fortunately, my wife wasn't at home at the time... I think this is the first time I've dealt with an entity of this kind, before, and I think it might've been pointed in my direction; it could've attacked and torn apart all the other spirits surrounding my house, but instead, it only attacked me. Granted, I have enough energy for myself (and enough wards around my house) to make myself a target, but the way my wards work, they shouldn't be noticeable unless an entity passes pretty close to my home; they blend in with the walls. I have wondered if this entity used the other spirits for its advantage, using them to help it plow through my wards, trampling whoever was in front of it, just like the frantic innocents do...

Anywho, this thing flew straight to our kitchen garbage can, made a physical body out of junk, and attacked me. I never thought it possible for smelly bits of junk we threw away to hurt like it did... It broke my arm before I got away, and could get upstairs to where I have my "special" weapons... It took my dragonsaber Claw and everything I had to take the monster down, and Claw verified that the entity was completely destroyed. I still didn't get away unscathed... The monster had sucked up a lot of my energy, and I'd used even more in spells to try and slow it down... Aside from the broken arm, I suffered a broken rib.

Even scarier than that was my wife, when she first got home and found the trail of junk and trash all over the house, until she saw how badly hurt I was. She's not very knowledgeable about the supernatural, and doesn't deal with it any more than she absolutely has to...

She had me rushed to the hospital (I shudder to think of the ambulance costs), and we had to file a police report for an assailant that didn't exist. I just hope that nobody gets arrested for something they didn't do...but anyway, UPS gives us good insurance, so at least the hospital bills won't cost much.

And though the doctors would have fits if they knew I was out of my casts four days after putting them on, they don't know much about healing magics... I'll just come back in in a few weeks, and have made a much faster recovery than usual. It's not the first time such has happened...and they don't need to know that I never even called the physical therapist they recommended.

Though it did take several days to build the energy back up to start working those healing magics, and several painstaking castings before I got myself healed enough to feel comfortable outside the casts...

This is exactly the reason I was trying to warn people to be careful about this stuff.
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

I don't know much about werewolves; never had to deal with 'em, myself. If I didn't have Claw with me, I don't think I'd try to take one on... I know a lot of stories, though, and something strikes me as troublesome... In most of the stories, werebeasts are creatures who were once human, but are turned into bloodthirsty monsters. In their monstrous forms, they have little or no control over what they do, let alone have any memories of it. It seems to me almost like they have themselves as hostages, so I'm not sure I could take one out, unless I were in a situation where I absolutely had to... I'd rather get the innocents out of harm's way than kill them, no matter how vile or cruel they may be.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fault those of you who take them down; I've heard there is no cure for the disease, and I understand that getting innocents out of harm's way is only a temporary solution to a longer-term problem. I know that thinking this way makes me weak, and could turn me into a target if such a situation arose...

But I can't help it. I have a hard enough time killing things at all, let alone a creature whose life force is directly linked with an innocent's.

Am I wrong? Ron, you seem to know quite a bit about this... Are werewolves innocents when they're not monsters? Or is their innocence destroyed the first time they're transformed?
Bert_the_Turtle

I'm glad you weren't killed and managed to make it through with only a few broken bones. In the future, you might consider aquiring some body armor, you can typically find some old police Riot Gear surplus, or some flak jackets. Were I you, I'd get a half-dozen Riot Shields and helmets with face shields and stash them around your home, like you'd normally keep fire extinguishers lying around. If you've done all you can with magical defense you need to look into more mundane solutions.

And, while I share your feelings on innocents, when something starts taking innocent lives there isn't a lot you can do. It may be different if you have access to magic but I'm just an ordinary guy. Speaking of which, you might want to carry a Tazer or Stun Gun on you, it'll incapacitate ordinary humans and, in my experience, has an effect on the more human-like SupNats.
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Problem #1: My wife is pregnant, and isn't really happy with the weapons I have in the home. She wants them hidden so our baby doesn't get into them when he's 2, and able to get into them no matter where we hide them. The last thing she'll be happy with is having military or police surplus equipment lying around the house. Next thing I'll know, I'll need them to protect me from the pots and pans *she* throws!

Problem #2: I'm not really proficient with the use of armor as it is. I don't know how to put it on, I don't know how to move in it. What's more, this time, I was taken by surprise. I used an energy field spell on the stairs to slow it down, and I used my armor spell when I got upstairs, and that's a spell that normally stops bullets, if I need it to. (...not that I've exactly needed it for bullets, but I know that the capability is there, should I ever need it for such.) In spite of that, I was still injured. I don't know that there would've been much of a difference in the outcome, except maybe a few more broken ribs. Kevlar is a softer armor; it stops bullets and impacts by spreading out the force of impact, and this thing packed a helluva punch. Even if I'd've had it available to wear, though, I wouldn't've had time to put it on.

I will take into account the Stun Gun suggestion, though. Electricity does seem to have a noticeable effect on spirits and humanoid supernaturals alike... So does fire, though I would suspect that a Stun Gun causes much less collateral damage should I miss while firing in the "comfort" of my own home.

I've tripled the number of wards I have around my home, and I've taken to reinforcing them on a fairly daily basis. I'm casting banishing spells on the energies that build up around my home. It may lead to more angry spirits roaming free, but I can't allow my wife or child to be hurt by another incident like this one...
Bert_the_Turtle

Very good points. And yes, electricity is less likely to cause serious collateral damage when compared to fire.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Not sure electricity could have helped KT there. I find thatthings like stun weapons, less lethal weapons and even plain old shot placemnt don't work to well on any critter that doesn'thave a somewhat biological logic to it's functioning. That's one of the nice things about the werewolves, supernatural as they may be, they still have funcitoning brains, hearts, lungs and eyes to mess with - though use of silver is more or less required to reaach most of them.

As for innocence and the beast, the MO of the werewolves I am dealing with involves luring their prey into a discreet location while in human form and then changing and having their fun. So I'd say these beasties are evil no matter which skin they wear. The mountie that used to post here claimed they had a tame werewolf on staff . . . but seeing as we havent heard from them in a while, I wonder if that werewolf weren't as tame as they thought.

KT, what happened in your house, and your reasons for not keeping an arsenal stashed around helped remind me of one of the reaosns why I've done my best to avoid personal entanglements in my job. I know it's an eventuallity that I will go down in a fight or something I've pissed off will track me to my home. The consequences to a wife and family are not something I can deal with.

Besides, I've had to deal with too many succubi, vampires and werewolves masquarading as beautiful women to really trust 'em anymore.

Anyway KT, my day job is firearms and police supply sales, training and maintnance. I work at cost for Lazlo Society memebers if you'd like to add a little modern zing to your arsenal and tactics. Might not b your sile, but then again, your opposition probably won't expect it. I also do a lot of specifc anti-monster items. You say you're pretyt good with the herbs and potions, perhaps we could collaborate on some unique tools.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Agreed, I doubt electricity would have worked there, but like I said, anything based on the critters we have here on Earth will most likely be affected in some way.

You also make excellant points about dragging, loved ones, into harm's way.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

It's a reason why I don't regularly work with partners, as dangerous as this jobis, I don' like the thought of asking someone else to lay their life on the line with me.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

I agree wholeheartedly. It has to be dire for me to risk someone else. On the other hand, I'm always more than willing to step up and help out as needed, assuming I can be of help. I'm just your Regular, Joe Average.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I know plenty of people who chip inwiht me to make things happen, but the bottom line is I don't take them out in the field with me. When I go out, something is going to die, and I'd just rather not include innocents and allies in that list.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Yeah, the two instances I needed help:

The first I had to rescue a group of school children from this demon cult. They were on a field trip when their bus broke down and about three dozen children were captured in one fell swoop. Not only were there too many children for me to handle on my own but the cult was 40 members strong and the leader had made a pact of some kind, that bastard put me in the hospital before he went down.

The other incident was dealing with some kind of malicious entity; I can't do anything to them. I ended up playing bodyguard for a couple of psychics on that one. Every time a vase, or knife, or piece of furniture was sent hurtling at them I had to intercerpt it. I was one big bruise after that.
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

In my own defense, I didn't exactly mean to fall in love...and the ghost-hunting my wife and I do is usually pretty harmless. What's more, I have a strong hunch that my wife is either a latent psychic, or is a sensitive, and refuses to tell me. Before the recent surge in troubled spirits, I didn't usually bring my paranormal work home with me. If I had something that needed done, I went out and did it, sometimes still wearing my UPS uniform, before I went home. And I made damned good and sure I wasn't being followed, either.

As for my wife being pregnant right now...we're only human. <_<

Ron, I'd be much more than interested in taking you up on your offer. My training may come at cost, since my wife and I are flat broke right now, but I'll do what I can to teach you some hollistics that could save a life in a pinch, when you're lacking first aid materials. I can also show you some cheap, effective ways to ward off quite a few different paranormals...at least until you've figured some way to blow them up, or at least blow them away, from a distance.

EDIT: Almost forgot; I do go on a week of vacation on the 11th...so technically, I have no work from the 9th to the 17th. I'll have a couple of weeks off in October as well, but that's paternity leave, so I doubt I'll have time or energy for training...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Hmm, could be workable. One can never have too much cross training.

Fortunately I just unloaded a shipment of USCs almost as fast I got them in stock so I have a bit of spare coin to work with in helping get you some gear.

Oh, and f you have to ask your lady about it, I always include trigger locks free.

Delta Sierra
Celeste Darken

"Stranger Visitors" indeed. And what about this s

Post by Celeste Darken »

This is rather off the subject, though the title to the post is adequate. But has anyone else stopped to look at the people registering to this site lately? I make a habit of looking them up as far as websites go and what they “advocate” as interests and so forth. Putting down a website, whether random or intentional, shows a great deal about an individual. Much like the adage of telling a lot about a woman by the contents of her purse, you can also tell something about an individual by what website they post.

And lately, the last few people have been rather . . . interesting. More than a few porn sites, I believe I have seen a gambling site, and others that portray the same site, as though they’re trying to sell us something. Before last week ended, there were eight pages of member listing. Then it abruptly went down to seven. It has increased to eight once more. Normally, we would be lucky if there was a new member once a week. Now we had nearly 30 in just one weekend. Is there anyone else that finds this sudden influx suspicious? And I realize this . . . “Lazlo” character may well be an administrator, and the rules clearly state your account may be deleted if you never post. But what is it with deleting people before they have a chance to post? Those 30 members were the ones who haven’t been deleted over the past few weeks..

Am I alone in my paranoia? Is this a regular occurrence that I am too new to have witnessed? I ask of you: people making accounts but not posting even once, people giving accounts to casinos or porn dens . . . is this ordinary? If there is a single word that comes to your minds with this, what is it?

Am I the only one who thinks of the word, “Dar’ota”? The only one who thinks of incubi and succubi, those demons that thrive in a nightlife environment, an environment that mirrors some of the latest members’ website addresses? Is this an innocent coincidence, or is this a lure to get a foot in the door behind the Lazlo Agency’s defenses?

I tell you this now: I have no idea which, if either of those cases, it may be. I leave this to your own discretion.

Celeste Darken
Bert_the_Turtle

Well, as far as I can tell it works like this:

When you register here at The Lazlo Society, you need to be approved by a moderator before you can post or do anything.

That is the exception, not the rule. 99.9999% of the time when you register on a website/forum you can post right away.

So here is my theory:

People are registering, and filling out their information including the website of whatever they're trying to push, whether it be drugs or porn or whatever. The moderator sees a commercial site and sends the regestration into the circular file (waste paper basket.)

A real person might have a link to, a webcomic, or a personal website, or what have you. So when you see nothing but commercial websites like those you assume, rightly so, that your forum's address is making the rounds of spamming lists so that a ton of new accounts are automatically created by a bot.

So, probably its just some damn spam bot doing it all.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Some are bots some are an individual with a agenda even if that is only to be an trouble maker.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.