A weekend at Roger's

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Kolya

A weekend at Roger's

Post by Kolya »

Before coming to St. Louis I knew that I would have a few days off after wrapping up the operation/investigation I was involved with. I decided to use them to meet Caliburn. I cashed in a few favours to enable me to hook Ron up with some hardware he had been looking to procure. I suggested to meet at a truck stop along Interstate 44 in southwestern Missouri. There was an open shooting range nearby where we could give the guns a try. Furthermore, while in my hotel room in St. Louis I was poking around some websites and came across information on a cult in that area.

I arrived at the truck stop late Thursday afternoon. Ron pulled in while I was still filling up the gas tank on my rented SUV - I love American cars, especially SUVs. In Russia I have a Ford Explorer.

He was able to cut through my accent quicker than most. So after putting some rounds down range I felt comfortable bringing up the cult I had read about when researching Missouri. The cult was based somewhere in the area. Their story, as I understood it from a website I had found, was that they are the vanguard of an alien race here to protect Earth from invasion by an intergalactic conquest by the reptoids. That was about all the information I had, except a name of a small town. So we decided to dig a little deeper and see what it was all about.

What is the motivation? Where does that motivation come from? We hoped not only answer the questions, but also (and more importantly and specifically) do something about it. That is the sort of people we are. Sure it was a risky for any number of reasons, but we had to do something.

We decided to regroup in the morning and start our investigation then. Our destination was a small town; a general store, a post office, a gas station, a church, and a traffic light. We decided that the best place to begin was the church and have a talk with the priest. In a small community, he would likely be the one to have the most information and be the most helpful.

"You're going to have to do the talking," I mentioned.

We arrived just in time. Morning services had just ended. We caught up with the priest. Ron managed to get some good information about the guy. We learned more about the cult, including about its strange leader named Roger, and the location of his compound. The priest said that Roger was twisting people's minds to the point that one young member attacked a local accusing him of being a reptoid spy. "You can read all about it in the newspaper archives at the county library," he said. "They really made the news in the last half of January of this year." He gave us directions to the library.

Research. I enjoy it. Ron, however, is a different story. So we were in and out of there pretty quick. Besides, we did not have all day. We learned some more about their way of thinking and the utter lack of police interest in their activities; one very useful tidbit was the fact that Saturday evenings they have bonfires and a gathering where Roger gives updates, preaches the word, and so forth. At the end of the day this guy, we decided, has partnered with a supernatural being. What we were less sure of was exactly the degree of Roger's power: a mage? a stooge? or was he the supernatural being? We determined that attending that Saturday night gathering would be a good start in finding this information.

Ron explained that he could probably get us on the compound. He has much "cult cred".
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm out west, but I thought I'd chime in about what happened with Kolya and me back this summer while I wait for these guys to finish their research.

First off, about Kolya, I gotta say the guy looks like some sort of mutant bear or something. He’s a massive guy with huge arms and a sort of hungry look about him. His accent’s thicker than a Texas steak, but, like most Russians I’ve met, he’s got a huge warm heart and loves to laugh. We hit it off pretty easily. The toys he brought along for me didn’t hurt either. He rather liked the .45 I had for him too.

Anyway, the guy comes up with this idea of doing a little cult busting while we were out there. Now I hate cults, I hate them worse than the monsters I hunt. Maybe it’s because I grew up in one, or maybe it’s because as much as I hate monsters preying on us, I find the ideas of humans victimizing others even worse.

As Kolya mentioned, the meeting with the priest and the research went pretty quick. Like Kolya said, I had to do the talking, I doubt anybody could have understood a word Kolya would say and would probably have reported him to the FBI as looking for “naywal wessels.”

Getting to/into the compound was pretty easy. All the secret cult headquarters are pretty much the same, can be found in the same hidden areas and have the same unique security measures. The only thing that really changes cult to cult is their own unique wording on why the members are supposed to give their money and children to the leader. So I took the shortest, easiest way in.

I pretended to be stupid.

I know, some of y’all will say it don’t take much, and I’ll let you have your laugh on me this time.

Anyway, I found one of the people that the Priest had mentioned as being a member. This “secret cult” had all their people wear white armbands all of the time, so it was pretty easy to spot him at the arcade. It wasn’t long before I had Billy convinced that I was stupider than he was, but I was also open to joining the cult. I got Billy to agree to a free ride out to the compound for me and Kolya so we could see the ceremony the coming Saturday night.

He even told us that Roger would have plenty of spare beds so we could spend the night if we wanted.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

continuing..

After talking to the cultists, Ron arranged to have me picked up so that I could stash the SUV somewhere for our getaway. Unfortunately, I had to travel light (approximately 20kg (roughly 40 pounds)), but I was able to carry everything I thought I would need.

A young man, Billy, took us to our living quarters.

We were sitting on our cots preparing for the evening's meeting. I handed Ron a radio with a special ear piece that acts as the transmitter and receiver. "It has no microphone; it uses the vibrations from your voice. You can hear a whisper," I explained. I clipped my magic detector to the underside of my baseball cap - this is a top secret device that vibrates when it detects magic use (it was developed from technology recovered from a UFO crash, which means that I could not tell you how it works even if I wanted). "Fresh batteries," I said, pulling out a load of batteries for the radios. I tucked my new Kimber .45 in a concealed holster on my right hip. A loose Hawaiian shirt did not cover my body armour too good, but at dusk it would do the job. I hung a small pair of binoculars with infrared range finding around my neck - from the back of the crowd this would not be suspicious, I thought. "I wish we could go full on," I said. I have done undercover work before so I am used to the feeling, but I never have liked it. "Radio check. We'll use channel two." I stepped outside and heard Ron's voice clearly. We split up.

People were already gathering at the soccer field when I arrived. There were a handful of people assembling a sort of stage at mid-field. I recognised Roger from a picture in the newspaper. He had two armed men next to him. They were equipped with SKS rifles, extended magazines, bayonets folded in, and one had a big knife strapped to his thigh. I informed Ron; he said that he was seeing the same.

Someone dumped some gas on the pile of wood and the bonfire was started. It created a sort of eerie glow around the platform, with shadows stretching to back of the platform. The microphone was flipped on and Roger began speaking about loyalty to the community, obeying orders, and watching out for one another. This was exactly why he needed to punish someone in the community before being forgiven and welcomed back into the community. I started to get nervous; someone was going to get hurt, maybe worse.

My magic finder buzzed for a second. I brought my binoculars up and scanned the platform a little bit. I did not see anything.

At this time someone was brought on stage by one of the armed men and Roger ordered him to kneel. Roger raised his hands in the air and they started to shake. He laid his head back and the kneeling man was hit with some kind of electrical shock; at the same time my magic finder buzzed. I started scanning the platform and in my peripheral vision I noticed an irregularity in the range finding readout. I scanned back and forth once more. Definitely something irregular. Meanwhile the young man on stage was convulsing from repeated bursts of electricity being administered by the cult leader.

Finally, when the young man had served his punishment, Roger cried out, "We forgive you!" Then he extended his hand to help the young man to his feet. With this the crowd cried in unison, "We forgive you! We forgive you!" There was general cheering and clapping among the crowd.

It an was extremely tense period of time. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured.

When the ceremony and speech was over Ron and I went back to our cots to discuss what happened.

I told him about the range finder irregularity.

"Your range finder uses infrared, right?" Ron asked.

"Yea," I replied.

He smirked, scoffing a bit. "What you detected was probably something hiding in shadows. Too bad my gadget is too obvious, or I could tell you what it was exactly."

We decided to do some snooping around to try and uncover the identity of the hidden being (some sort of mage), who we decided was the power behind Roger - making Roger a stooge. The plan was to remove the mage from the picture and expose Roger (who would then be powerless) as a fraud to the cult members, who would then return to their homes, friends, and families, abandoning their cult way of life.

There was a general curfew of 2230 hours on the compound, but it was not strictly enforced. However, there was rarely anyone outside their living quarters at that time. The guards did not patrol, but just sort of sat around here and there talking and smoking.

We decided to return to the soccer field.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The guys here are arguing something about salt, I don't really understand it, I'm just here to kill something nasty. Anyway, back to the story.

Roger . . . when I heard that name I knew this guy wasn’t even a quality cult leader. A self respecting cult leader takes a name with a bit more biblical sound to it. I wasn’t at all surprised when he turned out just to be a little runt with a loud voice.

By the way, Kolya, in the Hawwaian shirt . . . definite Kodak moment.

Fortunately, Kolya being the big intimidating guy that he is, the guards didn’t bother to look too closely at him, the darkness probably helped quite a bit too.

Me, on the other hand, I knew that we were screwed if discovered anyway unless we were carrying serious firepower, so I decided not to get discovered. I’m not saying I was unarmed, but I definitely packed light. Fortunately, I was able to get Billy to vouch for me and got no more than a quick look over by the guards.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Roger and the ritual. Pretty typical stuff . . . until the lightning started flying. I wasn’t sure if it was some kind of special effect or something else, but whatever it was, it was real electrictity and that guy took about four good shots before he was ‘forgiven.’

Once we got back to the living quarters, Kolya and I were able to get a bit of privacy and came to the conclusion about what had happened and what needed to be done pretty quick.

We geared up after the lights out. I had my piece, my blade, my armour and my goggles. I had also had a compact shotgun I call my ‘skeleton key’ loaded with lock busting rounds.

We headed out into the night.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I'm writing this from a hospital bed. Finally got some free time. That story will come after debriefing. In the mean time, read on while I summon the nurse...

This time I was much more prepared. My cap was replaced by a helmet with multi optics attachment. I attached the neck, groin, and hip protectors to my body armour, and carried my AKS-74U and my .45 as backup. I tend to "over dress for the occasion" as I have been told by some of my teammates, but that is just fine with me.

The bonfire was burning out and the two armed guards were breaking down the platform, loading it onto a big trailer attached to a tractor. I scanned the shadows around the fire and nothing irregular showed up. One of the guards started to drive the tractor towards a storage shed next to the soccer field. The other guard walked behind the tractor; he did not appear very alert. Roger headed towards the main house of the compound, where he lived with his nine wives, the youngest being thirteen years old.

We needed to get the armed guards out of the way before getting Roger.

We ran to the shed where the driver was backing the trailer in and they started to unload the platform. They both had their SKSs slung across their backs. They were taking a large piece of the stage/platform off of the trailer so we moved. Ron grabbed the closest guy by his SKS and spun him to the ground, quickly putting a knee in his back. The platform fell out of his hands, obviously, and that caused the other guy to drop his end of the platform, but I was on him before he could do anything. A swift kick to his groin brought him to his knees real quick. Ron explained the situation to the guards. "Roger has lied to us. He is using us. Everything will be revealed soon." Some zip ties and duct tape secured them to the trailer and prevented them from making any noises.

They refused to give us information, probably believing we were reptoid agents. The one guy could have just been extremely pissed off at me for kicking his nuts into this throat.

So we made our way towards the house. We knew Roger's wives lived there but that is all. We had no idea about the number of people, never mind the number of armed people. There was another set of guards that we had to take out. We noticed them while circling the house trying to get a view of the insides. They were sitting in the back of a pickup, on the rails near the tires of the truck sharing a joint. We came up on opposites and pulled the guys off of the truck and to the ground. My guy slipped out of my hands somehow and he rolled with the fall. He came up and I moved to close the distance when he managed to pull a revolver and shoot me in the chest. I stumbled and fell at his feet. I swung one leg against his shin and the other to the back of his knee bringing him down. He lost his pistol and I jumped on him as he rolled over. A head butt put him out of the fight. I rolled the guy over to zip tie him and saw Ron come around to my side of the truck. I noticed some lights come on and even some doors open around the compound. Gunshots tend to get people's attention.

Something came out of the main house. Not sure what, but my magic finder buzzed. I flipped on the thermo-imager on my helmet and then I was able to see it, but barely. I dumped two rounds into the creature. I am fairly certain that surprised it. It started running away. I shot at it again with two three-round bursts, mostly missing. It escaped. I reloaded bringing my weapon to full capacity.

"With that out of the way, now is our chance to expose Roger," I said.

By the time we got to the house the door was closed and locked. Ron put his shotgun to the door handle and blasted it away. Then he put his shoulder into it and ripped through the dead bolt. We piled in and the lights were out. But the foyer was clear. There were steps going up and a hallway in front of us, two big rooms on either side of us. Ron pointed up.

Ron was the lead and I kept an eye behind us. We made it up the stairs. I heard some muffled weeping at one end of the hall. It was more than one person in that room for sure. As we approached the door the floor was creaking a little; nothing we could do about that. I heard some whispers in the room. "I'm scared," one voice said. Another voice, "Shut up!" I was not sure, but they seemed to be close to each other.

Flashbangs are a wonderful thing. I pulled the pin. Ron blasted the door. I let go the safety clip and threw the grenade inside the room. After the detonation went off we went into the room. Roger and a teenage boy were lying on the ground, both with pistols lying near them. In the back corner of the room there were two young ladies crying into pillows. Ron lifted Roger up to his feet. "You're going to explain everything, Roge." Not that he heard Ron anyway; he ears would still be ringing from the flashbang.

By the time we got outside there were people starting to congregate. We headed to the soccer field and turned on the lights, no shadows. I brought the microphone from the shed and then returned to crowd to keep an eye out. "Do it," Ron said. Roger, still shaken, started to go into his deception - he was emotionless and monotone, like the broken coward he was. Then that damn creature returned. Ron was shooting before anyone really knew what was happening. "Everybody on the ground," I shouted (if anyone understood, I do not know) and made a break to back up Ron. But Ron was moving forward, gaining ground.

"Get Roge!" he shouted.

Roger had made a break. I am a fast runner and caught him easily. "On the ground," I told him, pushing him down, holding onto him by the collar of his shirt. I said to Ron over the radio, "Roger is secure."
Last edited by Kolya on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Get well soon K. Mother Russia needs her monster slayers. Right now Debunker and Mr. Loucifer are in a big argument about soem sort of psycho-babble.

The creature was coming in on the wing. You could only barely make out the shape of it’s wings and body in the darkness, but its eyes were gigantic and shone like spotlights.

I flipped my goggles into position to get a better view. It was a long, lean thing, with arms to its shins and claws to its toes. It was sort of bat like, but it also seemed a bit like a moth.

A soon as it was in range I pumped out the magazine on my shotgun as fast as I could. I scored a few hits, the buckshot ripping holes in its wings, but it kept coming as I switched to my piece.

It was already on me before I could line him up again, smacking me hard enough to knock me back off the platform and to the ground, the claws gouging into my armour, but not through it. It leapt off me as soon as we hit the ground and went skyward. I emptied the piece as it flew away. I know I scored a couple more hits, but not enough to knock it down.

The appearance of the creature had done much to shock the crowd back to reality. I saw white armbands begin fluttering to the ground and started to take the mike to hopefully get the rest of them to see the light about their beloved leader.

I’ve been told I can be quite a convincing speaker when I want to, but this time I didn’t get to test it because the flashing lights and sirens were already coming.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I hope to be back in action by the end of the month. However, your situation seems much more grim. I can imagine the argument, and I think I would rather be anywhere else. Heh... either road, our story is about to reach its conclusion...

"Oof," I heard through the radio. I looked up and Ron was lying on the ground. "Damn it!" I heard and saw him shoot from his back. "I’m fine," he said. Then I saw him get to his feet. "It escaped... again."

I brought Roger back to where Ron was speaking about Roger's deception and cowardly behaviour. But he was cut off. The lights of several police cars were seen coming down the long driveway into the compound.

"Time to go," I said.

"Get your pack. I will meet you there," Ron said.

I sprinted to our living quarters and slung my pack. "Ready."

"On my way."

Ron showed up and we made a run for the border. The police were held up by the cultists and we were able to go the other way. We crossed the fence and came to the road where there was a roadblock. The "throw a rock behind them to distract them" trick worked. We made it across the road no problems and were on our way when I heard one of the cops say, "What the ...?" Then the shots.

"Get the car!" Ron said as he turned back to help the cops. I made it to the little river and ran downstream to the small bridge. By the time I got to the roadblock the gun fight had been over. I heard Ron telling the cops to call off the back up. He was walking backwards towards the car, gun ready but not threatening. I put the SUV in reverse. He climbed in and I hit the gas. "Seatbelt and hold on," I said. I did not pull off the prettiest J-Turn, but it got the job done.

And so that was our little adventure in Small Town, Missouri.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

At least Huntress is bored withh the eggheadedness. Interesting girl . . . if she didn't flirt so much I might actually pay some more attention.

I felt sorry for the cops on the roadblock. Whatever that creature was it decided to follow Kolya and me and we lead it right to the police. When they opened fire with their sidearms, it decided to deal with them.

Fortunately Kolya and I hadn’t gone too far by then. While Kol went for the car, I turned back and went to the aid of the deputies.

A couple of quick shots from my piece sent it winging skyward again. Me and the deputies emptied our weapons at it as it flew away. A few more hits, but nothing that took the damned thing down.

The deputies were confused . . . but they were also out of bullets. They didn’t know I was too, but they weren’t willing to try anything given the circumstances and I was able to get back to the car.

I’m glad I had my goggles in place. If those guys had made me, it would have wrecked my business.

Anyway, summary time. Kolya’s a good guy to have at your back (and a great guy to send in first) and knows his trade. The monster got away, but Roger’s in jail and has a series of criminal charges and lawsuits pending.

Besides, when the monster does come back, I’ll be ready for it. I think I’ll be using some of the items Kolya brought over from Russia for me.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Anyway, summary time. Kolya’s a good guy to have at your back (and a great guy to send in first) and knows his trade. The monster got away, but Roger’s in jail and has a series of criminal charges and lawsuits pending.

Besides, when the monster does come back, I’ll be ready for it. I think I’ll be using some of the items Kolya brought over from Russia for me.
Thanks, Ron. Certainly the same can be said of you. It is too bad that monster got away. Sorry I had to leave before the job was done because you are correct to say "when" not "if" it comes back. And when it does hopefully it will be its last mistake, a two chapter story.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Hopefully he'll decide to go peacefully and let me send him back to the pit swiftly and easily.

Whenever I do meet up with it again, whatever happens, I do promise it will be fast, brutal and fatal.

Delta Sierra
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Ron Caliburn wrote:By the way, Kolya, in the Hawwaian shirt . . . definite Kodak moment.

Kodiac moment, you mean:

Ron Caliburn wrote:...I gotta say the guy looks like some sort of mutant bear or something.
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

I never knew you grew up in a cult Ron.
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Grew up isn't exactly the best word, more like groomed to lead it for when my father was no longer able to.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

"Ouch" was what came to mind first but that doesn't come anywhere close to doing it justice.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Yeah, not quite a happy home coming waiting for me.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

I can't even imagine man. You still keep in contact with your family, or that particular part of it?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

There's a half sister that sometimes sends me letters, when the elders aren't watching.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

If ya ever need help extracting anyone I'll be the first to sign up.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Extractions are out of the question at this point unfortunately.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Well if that changes I'll be the first in line to help ya out.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm keeping my eye on the situation for when she becomes "marrigable age."

And no, you don't want to know how old that is.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Well, just let me know. I'll put a f'ing army together if necessary.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

An army is a poor choice - remember Waco?

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Very true. And I doubt one would really ever become necessary.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Most everything I know about guns and combat I learned back on the compond. So a fight isn't going to go too well for anyone.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Do they know much about magic and the supernatural?
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Most everything I know about guns and combat I learned back on the compond. So a fight isn't going to go too well for anyone.

That's aight. I'm multi-talented. Drop me a line, I'll slip in, give you an' Bert an undercover brother.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
http://usashaolintemple.org/
Bert_the_Turtle

The army suggestion is what I come up with when I only get 2 hours of broken sleep heh.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

I'll throw my hat in the ring with an offer to help as well. With the comment of I do understand the idea of stealth and it's benifits and also I would ask what I think may be an obvious question of even thou I gather Ron left under [if you'll pardon the under statment.] less than freindly terms that they are still his family and for the most part he has no wish to bring them to any true harm, this would also tend to put a damper on force to be used in opposition towards them? If Iam wrong in this thought please elaborate I assume the dynamics are not cut and dry.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Bert_the_Turtle

Between Ron and I getting Non-lethals shouldn't be a problem if that is a concern.