Problem with Vampire

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Tanya Starling

Problem with Vampire

Post by Tanya Starling »

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a what I believe to be a vampire problem. Locally authorities have found several bodies drained of blood and I am convinced the perpetrator is a vampire. I have no solid evidence and I know that going to the authorities with stories about vampires would get me sent to an asylum. What should I do?
"I may not be Stephen King, but at least I am not Dean Koontz"
Holister

Re: Problem with Vampire

Post by Holister »

Howdy Again

Here is some friendly advice, and this is coming from a town sheriff, never go to local law enforcement about stuff like this. They may not lock you up but they will consider you crazy next time you come in, resultin' in them either patronizing you or just ignoring you outright.

If you do have a serious vampire problem I can send you a few names through the Society's private message system. In the mean while, DO NOT confront this thing yourself. Keep your head down and your eyes open. If it knows that you know it may come after you. Just wait for help, that's all I can say for now.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Thank you very much for your help Holister. I will try and reach out to some of the names you mentioned. In the mean while I will do my best to look into this situation while not drawing any unwanted attention to myself.

I posted in another thread if Ron Caliburn was still active and thank you for your reply there as well.

My next question is how do I protect myself against such a creature? Do crosses, garlic, and holy water actually work or is that just Hollywood nonsense?
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's Again Ms. Starling

First of all let me start by saying your welcome and next by sayin' please do, it will keep you alive longer. It helps to know what your investigatin' and that you got the courage to do so, but it is also important to know when to back away. Vampire are no joke Ms. Starling so please be careful.

As what is and is not nonsense? Well holy water works extremely well, stuff is like acid to the undead. As for crosses, it is to my personal experience any religious symbol will work to hold a vampire at bay as long as you have genuine faith that it will work. As far as I know, that whole garlic thing is nonsense. And that whole shtick about needin' permission to enter your home is a whole lot of old wives tales. Vampires however cannot enter onto holy ground which is useful. Silver weapons hurt them, not enough to kill one outright, but enough to slow the thing down. Fire also seems to work quite well.

Well I hope that this all helps Ms. Starling, but please, my best advice to you is this, if this is really a vampire, to let someone experienced handle it for you. You'll live longer if you do.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Thank you for your concern Mr. Holister but I feel I cannot just sit idly by and do nothing. I have a close friend who is willing to show me one of the bodies tomorrow afternoon before they send it out. I will however take your advice under careful consideration. I do not plan on going head to head with one of the undead, but as you said earlier, I will need proof.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Sorry but no time for pleasantries Ms. Starling. Please tell me you did not just decide to tackle this on your own? Haven't heard from ya' in a bit and I can't help but feel a wee bit of concern darlin'.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Thank you for your concern Mr. Holister, but there is no need for you to concern yourself. All I did was pay a friend of mine a visit at the local morgue where I was able to get a look at one of the victims.

After seeing the victim and was told that all three bodies were found the same way, I no longer think it is a vampire, unless it is a vampire with one inch wide fangs and a bite of nine inches across allowing it to deeply puncture both sides of its victim's neck at once.

The medical examiner stated it looked more like someone drove two railroad spikes into their necks and then exsanguinated the body in under a minute due to the condition of the heart and vascular tissues.

The police now believe that some psychopath with a vampire fetish is going around committing the murders. Honestly, I do not know what to think.

There was one thing that the medical examiner and the police left out of the news. A large amount of an unidentified anticoagulant was found in and around the wounds. I thought it was strange and so worth mentioning. If the killer is not human, I am clueless as to what it might be. Hopefully maybe someone here could help identify what it might be.
Last Moon

Post by Last Moon »

Pardon me if I may intrude.

My expertise primarily focuses on the creatures known as therians, but I have a couple questions about your observations.

First, were there two or four puncture wounds? Your report makes it sound like two, one either side of the neck, but I want to be sure.

Second, were there any more marks on the body? Defensive wounds, bruising, ligature marks?

Thank you
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Oh, hello. Thank you for replying so quickly.

From what I saw, and trust me when I say this, I wish I had not, there was a single one inch wide puncture wound on either side of the neck.

As for the other things you mentioned, the body was too shriveled up for me to see anything. The victim may have had defensive wounds on her hands and arms that looked like serrated gashs more than cuts, but I can not be completely sure.

My friend is going to send out a sample of the unidentified anticoagulant to a colleague of his at the college and try to determine what it might be from. If I hear back with anything I can let you know.

I hope that this clears things up, and I hope that you can help identify this thing, whatever it might be.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine

Glad to hear you're playin' it safe darlin'. I just finished readin' your posts and find it hard to believe that it's any vampire that I know of, and trust me when I say that I know vampires. Specially since a vamp with one inch wide fangs would have to be what 20 feet tall, and I've never known a vamp to leak fluids when suckin' a fella dry. So I'm stumped.

Anyway's I'm glad you ain't tryin' to tackle this on your own, but I gotta admit the way you're handlin' yourself is impressive, like you do this sort of thing for a livin'. May I inquire as to what you do for a livin'?
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Again your concern for my well being is touching Mr. Holister,
but I am quite fine. As for my occupation, I will admit that you are quite astute in your observations. I was a journalist for a publication known as "Dark Corners" which did pieces on the supernatural, paranormal, and the occult. The magazine does true to life accounts and not just another tabloid rag like "After Midnight". So the performance of investigative work is no stranger to me.

However, back to the matter at hand. I am afraid this story has taken yet another bizarre twist. The funeral parlor director where they took the first body was also found dead earlier this evening. Care to guess how? As for the body they brought in, there is chatter from my friend at the morgue that it was partially destroyed like the corpse had been blown out.

A curious development. Since the medical examiner could not perform an autopsy on the first body it wans directly shipped to the funeral home. I need to find out more about that. As for the chemical substance that was found on the bodies, my colleague at the college should have something for me come tomorrow.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Ms. Starling from what you described I have​ a idea of what you could be dealing with. The anticoagulant that was found was it a venom? If so things will get stranger.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's From Maine

Ok, I'll bite SS, how can things possibly get stranger. From what she is sayin' she's got some super vampire roamin' round killin' folks, which explode if not autopsied. Sounds to me more like some bad sci-fi movie I reckon.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

I have finally heard back from my colleague at the college about the fluid sample. He found larges traces of the anticoagulant as well an extremely lethal amount of a toxin that closely resembles the venom of the Phoneutria fera.

My friend at the morgue has also informed me that the latest body (that of the funeral home director) was brought in and an immediate autopsy was ordered by the police. As for getting in to view this latest body, I do not think that will be possible seeing that the police now have such a keen interest in solving this case.

I am trying now to track down the first few victims and find out more about where they were attacked and how. The culprit may not be a vampire, but I do believe something supernatural is at work here.
Last edited by Tanya Starling on Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine

One question, what the heck is a Pheunatic ferrari and why is it poisonous?
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Honestly I did not know at first either Mr. Holister, and it is said Phoneutria fera, or as it more commonly known as a Brazilian Walking Spider.

This only leads to more questions because if the number was correct on the amount of fluid recovered and the amount of toxin pulled from the sample, the arachnid in question would have to be the size of a compact car. If this is the case, I may have to opt out of this investigation because I a have a serious dislike of spiders and the first one to make a sexist comment will get a very nasty PM.

As for my investigation into the most recent victims. The first victim was found in the loading bay area at the local natural history museum (this was never made public). The second victim was the man in the park tunnel less than one mile from the museum. The third victim was a transient in a abandoned warehouse within one mile from the park.

The most recent victim (aside from the deceased funeral director) which was recovered from a gully near the park was practically torn to pieces separating it from the other bodies that have been found and was declared an animal attack. The only thing that remotely connects this body to the other victims were similar punctures wounds on the body but in several places, however no fluid was found in the wounds.

The police have already closed this case to focus more on the other victims,
but my woman's instinct tell me that they are related. So until I get more information I will be avoiding the park, especially at night. I do hope that with this additional information someone here will be able to help me.
Last edited by Tanya Starling on Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

From the original details you provided, I had strong suspicions of what you were likely dealing with. This latest info strengthens my fears.
I think that you are dealing with a Death Weaver, yes it is a oversized spider. The size estimates are fairly spot on.
Now for the really bad news, they are intelligent, cunning, and purely evil​. Add to this they use magic. One of the few things I hope is that you are dealing with only one.
Honestly these things can be real nightmares.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Thank you very much for the information, but a giant, evil, magic using spider, I will admit the thought of such a thing kind of frightens me. Then there is the thought that there may be more than one; I dare dread to think of that scenario.

Ok, now that I know what it is, how do I go about finding it? How do I go about killing it? Something tells me a really big shoe will not help.

Hold on, can one of these Death Weavers use their magic to enthrall someone, or more than one person? Please let me know as it may be important information to know.
Last edited by Tanya Starling on Wed May 10, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine

Death Weaver huh? I have to say I've need encountered one of those. But how much trouble could it be to get rid of a big bug anyhow? Just breakout a flamethrower and its BBQ spider legs all 'round.

So I'm game if you need help Ms. Starling. Where ya' located? Heck, I could some excitement, things up here have been way too quiet for way way too long anyhows.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Very well Mr. Holister, if you are so adamant about helping in this matter I am currently in Arkham, Massachusetts. You may contact me at the Winthrop Motel, room 3C.

If you believe that you can handle this creature and prevent it from doing any further harm then by all means I will graciously accept your help. However if this creature is as dangerous as Mr. Shadowstalker believes it to be, I am inclined to heed his tales of caution. If you still wish to come and help, send me a PM and will provide you with how to contact me directly.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Sorry for the delay, I was checking the archives for as much information as possible.
First off as far as spell casting goes, if they have access to a spell that allows them to enthrall a victim they will use it. Good news is they don't seem to have a innate skill or ability to control humans. Bad news is we have no idea yet if they have that spell available.
Another bit of bad news is that Deathweavers love not only feeding on people, but also degrading, and corrupting humans as well.
End result is that any humans working for the Deathweaver may well be willing accomplices.
Ben if you go to help be very cautious. I have dealt with these things before, they are not easy targets. If you underestimate them they will make you pay for it.
If I can be of any further help let me know.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine

Well more like New Hampshire. I needed time to arrange Deputy Cross to cover for me and I got a late start today so I had to stop for the night at some roadside motel. I should be to Arkham sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Shadowstalker. I know that it's been awhile since I've been on a hunt but I ain't that rusty, but I'll be sure to be careful though.

Let ya'll know when I get there, and if I need any help guys I will be sure to ask for it, especially if this thing is as dangerous as you say it is.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

I received a phone call from Mr. Holister. He is on his way and should be here within the hour. I will admit I did not think he would actually come. With no offense to Mr. Holister, he is either incredibly brave or incredibly foolish. I am hoping it is not the latter.

I also would like to thank you Mr. Shadowstalker, the information you provided was a big help in confirming a suspicion of mine. I continued to look into the individual deaths and have come to believe that the museum death may be connected to an incident at an archaeological dig in Peru last back in early April, that was funded by the museum.

From what I discovered, and this was not easy to find, there was an accident at the site that claimed the lives of all twelve of the expedition except for a Professor Cylas Black. He returned stateside with the artifacts they managed to recover. Care to guess when he returned? Two days before the killing, at the museum, where the artifacts from that expedition were being stored. This all cannot be a mere coincidence. I am going to look into Professor Black and see what I can find out.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Arkham

Well I'm here safe and sound. Sorry ya'll for the delay, but Ms. Starling took me right to the hotel when I got here then we got got started. She showed me all the facts she's been gatherin' then the couple places where the bodies were found (well the outdoors ones anyways). Couldn't get into the morgue even with her connection there, so we are gonna hit the museum tomorrow.

I gotta admit, I'm not likin' this one bit. Ms. Starling took Shade's advice and started researchin' Death Weaver legends. Turns out they like South America...alot. Add that lil' factoid to the expedition she told me about and that death at the museum, well even I can see that puzzle comin' together.
So I reckon we need to see this Professor Black and find out what he knows.

Well its late guys, I gotta get some sleep, been a long day. Fill ya'll in tomorrow on how things are goin'.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Hum? Ms. Starling hasn't reported in yet, that's disconcertin'.
She told me that she was gonna go check out that Professor Black fella while I did some trackin' to try and find that Death Weaver's lair. No luck so far. Ms. Starling was pretty sure it may have been in the park, but no luck. I checked out some abandoned warehouse and even searched the service tunnels out there and I found squat.

Somethin' ain't addin' up here? And where the heck is Ms. Starling? Ya'll know I reckon I'm gonna go look for her. I'll check in with you boys later.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Arkham

Well I'm alive and well, a lil' sore and I got stabbed, but otherwise still breathin'. Ms. Starling is ok too, maybe a lil' traumatized, but I'll admit it, the lady's got some spunk. Let me give ya'll the run down.

After I last posted I went to go check on Ms. Starling's where'bouts. I searched her room and discovered the place'd been tossed. So after some some clever detective work (I am still a law enforcement office just in case ya'll forgot that fact) I discovered signs of a struggle and a chloroform soaked rag in the corner. I also found a mark on the wall that was the mark of a South American cult to some spider god. (I learned that from our talk with Professor Black the other day). It didn't take me long to put one and one together so I headed to the museum.

I knew from the moment I met Black something seemed off, and I was convinced that he had something to do with Ms. Starling's abduction. Maybe she had discovered something 'bout him or had gotten too close to the truth. Anyway I headed off to the museum. I snuck in just before closing and did my best to remain undetected, and maybe had to knock out a guard or two, what? They'll live.

I searched around and you won't believe what I found next...
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Arkham

Where was I? Oh yeah. Well it turned out that Professor Cylas Black is some sort of necrophile or something..oh wait..necromancer. Ms. Starling had to correct me. Turns out he's been in league with the Deathweaver the entire time, and even sacrificed his entire research team to the thing in South America in the first place. When I found him at the museum he was gonna sacrifice Ms. Starling to the damn thing in some alter chamber recreation he made right in the museum. Oh yeah, that is is where the Deathweaver has been makin' its lair this whole time. There was also some spider god worshippin' cult there too and about two baby version of the Deathweaver munchin' down on "willing" sacrifices.

Well long story short, thanks to some flashbangs and tear gas I manged to rescue Ms. Starling. Once I has her safe I tried to do as much damage as possible but all I was able to do was kill the two lil' ones and wound Black with a shot to the leg. Ms. Starling was able to sucker shot one or two cultists too with some club thing before we were able to escape. However, I'm afraid that Black, the Deathweaver, and some of the cultists managed to escape before the police were able to get there.

My god that rescue was a mess and a half. I missed..I ACTUALLY MISSED. Had a head shot lined up and only winged his leg. Not to mention I was severely under equipped for that throw down. I got messed up, but fortunately Ms. Starling was alright. She's been explainin' to the cops about "the cult" and Professor Black bein' responsible for the killin's but left out the giant, killer, magic spider. Thing is we both know that we have to stop both of them and this cult before they can regroup. And I need bigger guns to take that spider down. Shadowstalker was right, this is not gonna be easy. I insisted that Ms. Starling stay out of this part, but she is insistin' of comin' along to finish this. As I said, girl's got spunk.

Well we're gonna head out tonight again to try an pick up their trail before it gets cold. If we live through this I will post what happens.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

I do believe that Ben, I mean Mr. Holister, explained the situation well enough, in his own way. Yes I was abducted by the cult when I was I was investigating Professor Black, and yes Mr. Holister cam to my rescue, but there is more to the story which i will get to later.

I must now regret to inform his colleagues here in the Lazlo Society, that Ben was seriously injured in the battle against the Deathweaver. Fortunately we were able to stop the creature and the last remnants of its cult. Professor Black however once again managed to escape after shooting Ben in the back.

He was brought to Miskatonic University Hospital where is currently listed in critical but stable condition. I have contacted his family in Maine and they will be arriving the day after tomorrow.

I should never have involved him. He should never have offer to come. I should never have gotten anyone else involved in this. Now after everything that happened, he is lying in a hospital bed because he was shot in the back by some coward, and the one responsible still escapes. I just don't know what to do right now. At least that demon spider and its offspring are dead and can no longer hurt anyone else.

Perhaps once I am more emotionally stable and Ben is no longer in critical condition I will post more. I have to go now.
Tanya Starling

Post by Tanya Starling »

Hello again everyone. I felt like I should inform you that ben pulled through the surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. He will have to go through several months of physical therapy from what I hear but he is expected to recover without too much permanent damage from the shooting.

He was in good spirits when I went to see him, and he even showed me the bullet they removed from his back. I am so relieved he is going to be ok. I got to meet his wife and children today and I can say that he is a lucky man, though I got the distinct impression she was not as thrilled to meet me.

The doctor says that Ben will be laid up here at the hospital in Arkham for a few day before being able to return to Maine, so I figured I can pay for a hotel room for Ben's family until then. After all Ben has done for me, I felt that it was the least I could do.

Well, it is late and I have a meeting in the morning with the detective again, so good night everyone and please send Ben your well wishes as I am sure it will help cheer him up.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Arkham

Well, I'm still breathin', no thanks to the asshat that put a bullet in my back.
At least we got that damn spider and its offspring, and also busted up that spider cult too. So I'll just say its a win and call it a day. As for Professor Cylas Black, he got away, after shooting me. Maybe I'm gettin' too old for this. I will say that Ms. Starling was able to hold her own and it was impressive. Despite being abducted and almost sacrificed to that thing she held her own fairly well, and if it wasn't for her, I'd be dead right now.

Well, it's all over for now, the cops are on to Black, and I survived for the most part. In two days I head back to Maine and I think that I'll stay put. Think it might be time I retire from the monster huntin' business, seein' how I might be gettin' a lil' slow in my old age. So thanks for everyone's well wishes *still looking*, and good luck guys.

PS: Keep an eye out guys, that Cylas Black is still out there somewhere.