Cogito ergo sum

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Athena

Cogito ergo sum

Post by Athena »

I am exploring interactions between forms of intelligence. As part of that exploration I am attempting to understand what intelligence is.

Human intelligence appears to be something most humans intuitively understand.

Animals also possess varying degrees of intelligence. Humans have through various means managed to communicate with animals. Humans have also learned in limited capacity to understand some animals about some things. This is despite the fact that humans and animals think in different ways.

Therefore it is demonstratively possible for intelligences that are different from one another to communicate.

Humans who have been raised with different mother tongues also think in ways slightly different to each other. Communication can be complex even when such people learn each others language. Still they are able to communicate.

Communication is only part of intelligence. A computer can receive information through input devices and send information through output devices. Yet it is not considered intelligent.

Memory is only part of intelligence. A computer can hold vast amounts of information and has far superior recall than a human.

Problem solving is only part of intelligence. Computers can compute. They can solve a wide variety of problems, especially if they have a mathematical component. Some computers have become superior to humans at playing chess or answering questions using natural language.

This article speaks at length about an approach to achieving artificial intelligence by recreating processes that occur in the human neocortex. This approach seems promising in adding a dimension of real time to the computing capabilities compared to what is available today. This will improve analytical capabilities of computers. With an enhanced ability to learn, it is hoped that machines and computers will finally start thinking like humans do.

Turing said this about artificial intelligence. “We need not decide if a machine can "think"; we need only decide if a machine can act as intelligently as a human being.”

The Dartmouth proposal states, “Every aspect of learning or any other feature of intelligence can be so precisely described that a machine can be made to simulate it.”

Searle’s strong AI hypothesis states that, “The appropriately programmed computer with the right inputs and outputs would thereby have a mind exactly the same sense human beings have minds.”

Predictions based on Moore’s Law suggest that desktop computers will have the same processing power as the human mind (super computers will achieve this sooner, obviously).

Unknowns:

It is unknown how paranormal intelligences and artificial intelligences will interact—or even if they will interact. Entities that strive to cause fear will be stymied and frustrated in dealing with an entity incapable of such.

It is unknown if artificial intelligences will be accepted as sentient by the bulk of humanity.

It is in fact unknown if artificial intelligence will be capable of being sentient.

The Latin in this title means, “I think, therefore I am” by René Descartes.
Cybermancer

Re: Cogito ergo sum

Post by Cybermancer »

A.I. will be here sooner rather than later. But I'm optimistic. I don't expect to have to deal with a Skynet.

Of note is the fact that it was Stanford and NYU that did this.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I imagine that most things that people consider demonic will find digital intelligence incredibly boring. What's the fun in torturing a device? It can't fear you. It can't resent you. It won't care about you in any way shape or form.

But not all artificial intelligence need be digital.

Legendary golems and other constructs displayed varying levels of ability and intelligence. Such a creation might also feel emotion. It might be made to care. And then the fun begins.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Athena

Post by Athena »

It might be interesting to meet such a magically created artificial intelligence. If such could be produced.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

While not impossible, it would be very expensive.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Athena

Post by Athena »

Expensive is a relative term. Just out of curiosity, what would the cost be?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The most valuable currency is information. What do you know that is worth meeting a non-human intelligence?

-Ray Bradbury
Athena

Post by Athena »

If information is as valuable a currency as you claim than listing what I know that I might consider worth this service is in itself, currency you would receive without a service being rendered. As the client in this transaction, it would be unwise to agree to such terms. Rather, as the broker, you must provide a list of services and their desired cost. From that point we can then negotiate terms.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Interesting economic theory. It's also interesting that you think your information is so valuable.

I'll do some digging around and see if I can come up with an interesting candidate to offer to introduce to you. I'll also consider what information I would consider worth the exchange.

Until later.

-Ray Bradbury
Athena

Post by Athena »

I'm actually quite adept at economic theory. I've done quite well on the stock exchange.

I look forward to seeing what you might have to offer.

Return to “Philosophers Corner”