Ajax Goes Down the Rabbit Hole!

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Phoenix

Ajax Goes Down the Rabbit Hole!

Post by Phoenix »

This will be the last one for tonight. I may be biased but I think I like this story best. But I was always a fan of Alice in Wonderland.

I remember when the armor I use was still being tested. The concept was ripped off almost whole cloth from the US military Future Soldier program and the HULC system. Except tweaked here and there. I’m happy to say that the armor I use is much more advanced than what they’ve managed to turn out. But then I could be biased.

In any case, the idea behind the suit is pretty simple. It is intended to give a reasonably fit and trained human being a fighting chance against supernatural threats. To this end it increases both strength and speed and has more armor than troops in Iraq and Afghanistan use. The armor also has to be good against more than just projectiles as well. Naturally it is also very much ‘wired in’. Given that the enemy has so many supernatural edges, we need to have every technological one we can get.

Of course only a fool would put all their eggs in one basket so the suit has other advantages as well. For example, the goggles are basically an enchanted amulet that allows the wearer to see the invisible. A very handy addition let me tell you, and one that can’t currently be mimicked with technology.

That’s not all there is to it of course but I’m not going to give away all my secrets just yet. While these posts are meant to educate, we can’t let the enemy who is becoming increasingly savvy to technology, learn too much.

But I do want them to hear the name Ajax. I want them to wonder and perhaps even to fear.

I’m getting a little off course here. Forgive me. I do that.

When I first started testing the suit, it was in the tunnels and storm drains beneath the city. There are things that most people dare not imagine down there. That it is also out of sight of most people worked to my advantage as well. Besides, I was working through some things at the time.

Back then, there was no Oracle either. I was on my own. I realize now how foolish and dangerous that was and things were changed so that it wouldn’t happen again.

Like I said, I had some things I was working through and I’ve always been a bit cocky. Maybe even arrogant. I’m definitely confident. One has to be to do what I do.

In any case, it was in the tunnels that I started finding signs of the most unexpected creature. First there were the stool signs. Pellet shaped but on a scale a couple of orders of magnitude larger than one would normally expect. But they were to the same scale to the tracks I would later find. Then came the fur samples that I collected. Lab analysis confirmed that it was what I thought it was, as hard as it was to believe.

That’s right. I was underground, chasing a six foot rabbit.

There were some differences though. First of all, it appeared to walk upright-a biped. I’d also found evidence that its diet wasn’t strictly vegetarian. Originally it was just small rodents. But it had graduated to cats and more recently to large dogs. I was beginning to become concerned that it might eventually graduate to small children.

The beast, originally a prey animal, was quite hard to catch. It eluded me on several occasions. One time it surprised me by leaving the storm drains we were in and leading me through the rooftops of the upper cityscape. The thing could leap, let me tell you.

I did eventually catch up to it where I experienced firsthand its monstrous strength. Fortunately while it was strong, my suit compensated sufficiently. It also protected me from its gnashy claws and hideously sharp teeth.

Unfortunately I was not able to capture it alive. I was forced to dispatch it with my sword.

Investigation would later reveal that it had been created by a diabolical master of alchemy who, to the best of my knowledge, remains at large. A situation I hope to one day remedy.

Because if that was the Rabbit, I’d hate to see the Jabberwocky!
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Nemesis

Re: Ajax Goes Down the Rabbit Hole!

Post by Nemesis »

Every time I start having a suspicion about who Ajax may be, the known facts seem to change.
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I do not garuntee accuracy in any of these Ajax posts. I am only the messenger and I post them without editing and minimum commentary.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

There might be something familiar though.

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.

Return to “War Stories”