Local trouble...

A place to seek help, or to offer services, dealing with the paranormal.
Frost

Local trouble...

Post by Frost »

So, I find that my latest job has drug me to this small(ish) city in central Washington... Yakima to be precise. I just dropped of this low life bail jumper last week and had to wait till today to claim my paycheck.

Well, I dumped him in the holding tank, called around to collect on him... and decided to grab a room. So I checked in to the local motel 6, this cheep little dive off north first street, towards the freeway exit. While perusing the local rag, I came across this story in the home-front section that caught my eye.

This local construction company has been suffering from an alarming number of accidents and injuries, nothing too serious until last Wednesday. an air compressor built up far too much pressure and ruptured... throwing shrapnel into the back and head of the worker using the air hammer connected to it. now, this seems a little odd to me, the paper is calling it "underworld skullduggery" alluding to a mob connection gone awry.

However, I snuck onto the premises to have a look-see after hours and what i found alarmed an confused me. Near the back of the lot, i found an open panel on the side of a trailer, it was showering sparks and making a loud hiss/buzz. i went to the junction box nearby and killed the juice... upon inspection, i found the wires had been chewed, and recently... i never met a critter that could chew on 210 wires with the power on...

there was a small spot of slimy liquid, clear and viscous, but repulsive to smell... like rotten garbage or old sweaty gym socks, just below the wires in the box (what I'm assuming is slobber/saliva). On the ground below was skinny but long 3 maybe 4 toed prints, roughly 2-3 feet apart, like whatever it was booked out of there fast. I lost the tracks near an old underpass drainage grate...

By the time i got back to my rig, it had flat tires, and missing the distributor cap and wires...

i have decided to stay in town another week or so to have a look... any suggestions or help would be very useful...

-Frost-
Be safe, and good hunting.
Gotham Witch

Re: Local trouble...

Post by Gotham Witch »

Washington is a bit out of my usual roaming, but I can say your problems sound awfully familiar. There are a few known things that go after technology - a few (or a lot) of gremlins seems likely though.

Corny, I know, but that's how they get you - when you're laughing.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

It definitely sounds like gremlin(s). Might be something else though, and if it is actually gremlins, could be they're being directed by something or someone else.

Otherwise it's an awfully strange coincidence that your vehicle was attacked. Something doesn't seem quite right here.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Frost

Post by Frost »

Gremlins... huh... As in, don't feed them after midnight, or they turn into scaly green monsters that your mom fries in the microwave GREMLINS?! hmmm, makes sense actually. Never faced one (or groups) before. I'm not sure how to proceed.

However... after doing some digging last night and early today, my contacts inform me that one Mr. Donald Rutgers (the owner of said construction company) has been having difficulty in many facets of his life, not just at the construction site.

Apparently, his wife has left him for his brother, his son ran off to some cult in southern California, then Mr. Rutgers was audited , forcing him to pay near $250,000 in back taxes and fines... now his construction site is plagued with accidents, forcing him to it shut down.

I'm not sure if Gremlins are the only thing afoot here. I'll look into one thing at a time though. tonight, I'll head to the drainage grate and put an end to the little green buggers. Any advice as to what to bring (other than my Ruger Alaskan and my .500 Cruiser).

-Frost-
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Gremlins as in what pilots in the RAF and the US Army Air Force talked about and blamed on unexplained equipment failers in world war II. They like to muck up Tech.. The Germans use to leave them in Air bases and sick them on motor pools in France after the Normandy invasion. Grand father had to clean them out some times when he was with the SAS and the OSS
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Frost

Post by Frost »

I'm well aware of what they are, I was simply being facetious... trying to add an air of humor to a dark situation... it's a self defense mechanism. I haven't lived this long, doing what I do, by blundering into something blindly.

I have never faced these critters before, but that doesn't mean I don't do research. If I am correct, my best bet will be good old fashioned FMJ's and birdshot, as they are copper washed rounds. Figured, I would hit them where they live...
Eilonwy Solstice

Maybe I can make a change in plans

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Currently, I’m in California. If you think you can wait a bit, I might be able to take a different flight or something and drop by Thursday night or Friday. Do you feel like you or Rutger are in any immediate danger?
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Frost

Post by Frost »

I don't feel in any immediate danger myself (no more than usual, given my chosen vocation), however, Mr. Rutgers seems to be in increasing amount of distress over the last 15 months. Small things snowballing into life altering events, losing his wife, child and business...

I tried to contact him to no avail... it seems his office number is voicemail only, and his private number is unlisted. I think I may have a friend who can help get more of his personal information, but I can't say more on that here.

As for the gremlins... I'm not too worried about a half dozen or so little green fiends, I'm sure my mossberg and ruger can deal with them... if you feel (as I do) that there is more to this situation than meets the eye, then... by all means head this way. if you like, I will compile what I find on Rutgers and mail it off to you or post it here.

I plan on sticking it out here for a while... can't do my ACTUAL job until I get a new work rig, so I may as well see how this all pans out. I'm looking at renting a cheap apartment as it seems I will be here longer than anticipated. if you like, I'll give you the address once I settle in.

oh, and by the by... I have been reading your posts... it does appear we have a few things in common. Maybe someday soon, I can share a thing or two about my past, but... today is not the day. for now, let's just say I'm atoning for things that spiraled out of my hands, as I had no real control over the situation.

thanks for all your help thus far... I truly appreciate it.

-Frost-
Frost

Post by Frost »

Well, it seems dear Mr. Rutgers had a partner almost 3 years ago, one whom was forced out by him. one Orson Fowler... Fowler dropped off the map, no traces anywhere that my contact could find... but he apparently lost everything, in much the fashion that Mr. Rutgers is facing now.

Seems, Fowler didn't read the fine print in the contract with Mr. Rutgers, and after a period of time, his shares in the business fell to Rutgers legally. Fowler tried to fight back, but didn't have any money (as it was all tied up in the business) to hire any legal support. so, after going on a rampage and rant in the local papers, vanished without a trace.

Investigators found his car, phone and ID were still at his residence (which was being foreclosed on for lack of payment)... but no foul play was ever suspected, as there was no sign of violence or struggle. One reporter speculated mob involvement but, later had to recant said statement do to legal reasons.

Maybe fowler didn't die, or vanish... maybe he wanted to drop off the map, start fresh with a new identity... or maybe he's behind the ill fortune befalling Rutgers...

Any idea if hexes and such may be at play here... I'm all tapped out, getting my new pad here, and paying for info... kinda took what cash on hand I had... still haven't got cut my check for the Rodriguez job yet... so, looks like cup O' noodle for dinner tonight lol...
Eilonwy Solstice

Privacy matters

Frost wrote: I don't feel in any immediate danger myself (no more than usual, given my chosen vocation), however, Mr. Rutgers seems to be in increasing amount of distress over the last 15 months. Small things snowballing into life altering events, losing his wife, child and business...

. . .
Frost wrote:I plan on sticking it out here for a while... can't do my ACTUAL job until I get a new work rig, so I may as well see how this all pans out. I'm looking at renting a cheap apartment as it seems I will be here longer than anticipated. if you like, I'll give you the address once I settle in.

. . .
Frost wrote:oh, and by the by... I have been reading your posts... it does appear we have a few things in common. Maybe someday soon, I can share a thing or two about my past, but... today is not the day. for now, let's just say I'm atoning for things that spiraled out of my hands, as I had no real control over the situation.

thanks for all your help thus far... I truly appreciate it.

-Frost-

You’re very welcome, Frost. If you feel uncomfortable with sending your address publicly, feel free to send it to me in private.
Frost

Post by Frost »

So... i got strapped with gear, (a 600 lumens flashlight, chem-lights, spare rounds, coil of para-cord and multiple knives of various sizes and uses) I climbed on to my chopper and headed down towards the construction site.

I parked my ride (as it's my pride and joy) a few blocks away, and walked in on foot, as I did not want a repeat of what happened to my Dodge. Upon arriving, it was all a little too quiet, no sparking wires, no flashing bulbs or clinking of tools or machines... this concerned me, did my presence here the other night make them wary, did the move on?

As I approached the drainage grate, I can hear a slight cackle deep beyond the entrance. I pulled at the grate, it was not locked... just as I assumed. I pulled my .454 Alaskan, and lowered myself into the stink of stale water and sewage runoff. My boots sloshed with every step, so much for stealth.

As I followed the tunnel, it began to narrow something awful, forcing my to stoop over and in a few spots crawl (being this big is a pain in the ass sometimes). The snickering kept up, drawing me further in, until I reached a junction large enough to stand up once again.

In between two outlet tunnels, there was a strange burrow... far too small for me to fit, roughly carved and scratched all along the outer edge. I tried looking in, but it's sharp angle prevented me from seeing anything. I could hear hushed laughter from within...

I looked around the entrance, but I found no way to collapse it without damaging city property, and possibly trapping or killing myself. It appeared as though I was bested by these little critters, I had no way of getting to them and they knew it. I didn't think they would be so shrewd.

As I turned back towards the way I came in, holstering my pistol... I noticed just above the tunnel was a small hole in the wall, just barely big enough for my hand. Shining my light inside, I was met by the gleam of a small box. Fearing it was a trap, I cautiously used an insulated handled knife to drag the box out. I placed it in my vest pocket, as I didn't have time to check its contents now.

Just then, I heard a loud hissing noise from behind me (I had gotten so enamored with the box, I had forgotten my little scaly friends). I spun around, knife in hand. but was blinded by them, they had used a mirror to reflect my tactical light back at me. As I staggered back I felt a ripping and burning at my left leg, it shredded my riding chaps and tore right into my flesh.

I swung down with everything I had, and felt the blade make contact with something that shrieked in response to my blow... who's laughing now... my vision, though blurred by the light, would get better... I could make out 3 individual shapes. My instincts kicked in and I started to close the gap on the closest one. It tried to retreat from me as the others flanked. Dropping the knife, I pulled my Mossberg off my thigh and pulled the trigger...

The retreating one was turned into a haze of green sparks and ash... my vision was bad... but shotguns make up for loss of accuracy. I turned to the other two... and as I racked another round, I felt a deep puncture in my upper thigh, as I glanced down to see a small hand clutching my own damn knife... MAN these things suck...

I tried to smash the little bastard in the head with the pistol grip, but he slipped to one side and pulled the knife in that direction with him... at this point, I'm bleeding like a faucet... but I can't quit now... I turned the shotgun towards the one now in front of me... little miss Mossberg turned him into a memory with a flash of sparks and ash.

My leg... damn it's freaking KILLING me... I turned to face the last one... but all that remained was a wet trail of prints heading into a smaller outlet I couldn't fit into. as I looked at my leg, the knife still tangled in its flesh, I knew I was in trouble. I pulled the bandana from my back pocket and cinched it down tight to slow the bleeding, then pulled the knife out as cleanly as I could... I know this is gonna require stitches at the very least... the claw marks burned like fire as I crawled back through the muck. I had forgotten to cover them in my haste... infection time... YAY.

So I wasn't too successful hunting these little bastards my first time out... but, I guarantee, I won't underestimate them again. I only saw the 3 of them, but I'm sure there were more hiding... lucky for me, they didn't join the fray.

So I limped back to my bike, and headed for my safe house. the blood loss was bad, but... nothing i couldn't handle, I have had much worse done to me over the years... I hopped the curb, and nearly tipped the hog as I pulled into the open garage. man, I need a drink... I hit the switch to close the door and staggered inside.

Only half a bottle of jack... do I drink it, or disinfect with it...

I'll Post again soon... for now, I need to patch myself up.

-Frost-
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I suggest you disinfect.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Frost

Post by Frost »

LOL Cyber :)
i split the difference... part pain killer part cleanser...

So, the box...

It's about 3x5x1.5, made of copper and nickel. the hinges are along the 5 inch length, and it has a simple hook and eye clasp in the front. It had some form of wax (perhaps bees wax) dripped over the claps to seal it and had wax all along the outer edge of the lid. the box, though dirty, is in remarkably good condition considering its environment. the slight layer of muck and dust hints that it may have been there for at least a few months (about the time the trouble started at the construction site).

I hesitate opening the box, only because I have no real experience with the mystical side of things. I'm more brute force and dirty dealings... the box has no discernable markings on the outside, and there is some sort of metallic contents inside, as I can hear it clinking around when I shake the box.

If anyone has some advice, or has the slightest clue what this is, please ,PLEASE give me a shout.

-Frost-

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I suggest you destroy the box and then use some sort of incindinary device to route out the creatures in their warren. Or you can use your bike as bait and ambush them.

Be prepared to sacrifice the bike.

Hope that helps.

-Cynthia
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Frost

Post by Frost »

MY HOG... i have been riding this baby since i was 17...thats 23 years! it's all I have left of my family...

I'll have to find another way.

I'm also very hesitant to destroy the box... not till i learn more about its function or purpose... but i truly appreciate the advice.

As for incendiary weapons... thats not a bad plan, however... It's in a industrial area, and near gas lines... so, dont know if thats going to happen.

not to mention, im in NO condition to crawl back into the sewers...
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Hmmm. I would advise against forming emotional attachments to objects. You should always be ready to sacrifice everything and to walk away from anything.

I remember the first time one of my handlers used my favorite dolly to plant a bomb. It upset me at the time but we got the mission accomplished and that's the main thing.

There are two important rules when dealing with unknown items you find.

1. Don't read the books.
2. If you don't know what it does or what it's for, destroy it with lots and of fire. If fire doesn't destroy, bury it deep.

And your welcome for the advice! :D

-Cynthia

(See, I'm getting good at using my manners!)
Last edited by Nemesis on Thu May 31, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Frost

Post by Frost »

And this is what i have learned...

1: take intuative leaps (such as the box may be useful)
2: dont destroy things that may be of use at a later date.
3: dont act rashly, a level head means more than a doubled fist.
4: take advice with a grain of salt... every situation is different.
5: dont rely on others, even friends can betray you.

sorry if that sounds cynical, but i have learned the hard way... trail by fire.

Now, if anyone else might know what the box is, or would like to see it... give me a shout...
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Doesn't sound cynical to me at all. If anything, a little too optimistic.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well let's see on the Copper and the Nickel.

Mystically copper, in addition to it's electrically conductive properties is viewed as a bridge. It is also sometimes used to draw negative energy away.

Nickel is supposed to be able to extend over multiple dimensions and allow for increased energy when worked into a mystical item as well.

Any sort of symbols on that? Just based on the metal choices it sounds like whoever made the box was trying to draw or conduct some sort of extra-dimensional energy.

At least if they learned their mystic metalurgy from the same places I did.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

I 2nd the do not read books. My arcanist tryed reading a 700 year old book in Latin with the name of a powerful demon on the cover. the book Radiated magic. And where not sure what happened exactly but he ether nearly Released the demon trapped in the book. or got possesd by the deman
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Frost

Post by Frost »

Well, as there is no books involved, thats not an issue...

I have a friend in another state who thinks what i have, may be a fetish box? she warned it may be used as a conduit to control lesser beings, but without seeing the contents she cant be sure.

It feels rather heavy, and i can hear something clunking about inside as well as a metallic ping here and there when i move it. placing it on a scale, it clocks in at around 3.75 lbs. which for a box only a few inches across is quite heavy.

I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge on the subject will read this.

and Ron, i think your right, if what you and my contact (nicky) say... this box has mystical all over it. and as for symbols... nothing, the outside of the box (other than an aged patina to it) is just a copper box, with nickel hinges and clasp. Any thoughts?

Frost

Post by Frost »

My leg is pretty stiff and sore, the damned claw marks seem to hurt more than the stab wound today.

As of this morning, still no cash from the bail bonds office... they keep giving me crap about "payment transfer issues". He's in jail, the bond is secure, but THEY CAN'T PAY ME! I can't even afford basic first aid kits and peroxide at this point. Looks like i'll have to pawn a pistol just to get patched up.

I have a fever, dont know how high... but i keep breaking out in cold sweats, and im losing color faster by the hour. Can't really go to the emergency room, don't have insurance or cash. this job is falling apart fast.

On the box front... last night, i could hear something outside my rental... pacing around just out of site... so i secured the box in a portable gun safe, and hid it in the floor boards under my kitchen table... if something happens to me... miss Solstice knows the address...

I'm sorry I botched this job... I'm trying damn it. but this is far bigger than some little gremlin infestation... i have never had to deal with the mystical or magical, just critters that needed to be put down...
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Pawn a pistol and get to a clinic. It might sound obvious, but at this point your primary concern is surviving more than anything else.

Regarding your box, it goes without saying but a design like that is typically meant to keep something contained and secure. Although I would normally say it was meant to keep something in, it's equally likely to keep something out - which might explain why it's in tact. You don't typically build boxes out of copper, after all.

Worry about yourself first, and then the box.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Eilonwy Solstice

He was a no show, but I’m not giving up so soon . . .

He didn’t meet me at Lions Park as we agreed; however, he left a number for me to call. I wonder if this feeling of needing to meet him soon stems from his injuries or something else.
Eilonwy Solstice

Just an update for everyone;

Just an update for everyone; I met Frost at another place. He’s as big as Willie and as polite as any southern gentleman. Unfortunately, he was also badly hurt, so I spent most of yesterday treating his injuries. He’s not big on complaining.

Also, another matter ought to be related; perhaps it’s connected, but maybe not. Earlier today, I received a call from my hotel back in California; seems someone ransacked my room sometime after I’d checked out, but before housekeeping could get it ready for the next guests.

Even if it’s coincidence, it seems I should be grateful to Frost. Who knows what might have happened had I been still there.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Update:

It seems carpentry staples and duct tape/towel is not proper sutures nor dressings for wounds lol. Miss solstice... pardon, Wie... is a real life saver. I had/have my reasons for avoiding hospitals other than just the cost. Paper trails and previous experiences have made me more than a little wary.

She patched me up and helped me without question, nor hesitation... Folks like her are few and far between, I don't know where I would be or what condition I would be in if not for her help.

The box is here with us, and once I'm feeling less groggy and woozy, we will figure out our next course of action. BONUS! My contract finally paid out, as of tomorrow I will have my $7,500 in hand... thus I won't be eating ramen noodles and canned soup.

And to all of you...

I appreciate your concern for my safety and well being, your advice and help will not be forgotten. If you ever need help, don't hesitate to ask. as for now, im going to get something substantial to eat and take a long need nap.

-Frost-
Frost

Post by Frost »

I awoke this morning, having slept near 36 hours. I guess my wounds were far worse than I had thought. So, I got myself some coffee... I now sit, guarding Miss solstice's room as I don't want a repeat of what happened in California.

I feel much better, my leg (though stiff) isn't killing me... nor do I feel weak and ill. I should be fully recovered soon enough thanks to her.

I'll keep you all up to date on the situation as things unfold.

Take care all...

-Frost-
Frost

Post by Frost »

The place reeked of acrid smoke and cheap perfume. The "Lady" (I use the term very loosely) at "Soul seeker" (a local occult shop), informed me that some of the ingredients for the mojo bags needed to be retrieved from her storage, and to come back after 9:00 p.m..

I arrived just after 9... the shop was dark and the back door was opened... glass and oils littered the ground just inside the door... I pulled out my tactical light and shined it inside... I could see a crumpled heap in a bloody mess near the shelving in the back of the shop... I know without going in, it's the shop owner.

I quickly snatched up a loose bottle of oil and the pouch of herbs from near the back door... i hope what i need is inside, or her death will be for not. She may have been an unpleasant witch, but to go out like this... Damn.

As I started back to my bike, I felt a cold shiver run down my spine, and my blood ran cold. then I saw it... a vague human shape... solid as a man, but made of darkness and smoke... I snapped my light up, and it shrieked and dashed into the alley.

I could feel its eyes burrow into me from the shadows. I hopped on my Panhead, and kicked the engine over (gotta love the old kick start bikes). Just as I started down the side road, I saw the shadow dash towards the roof of the shop and vanish from view... its fast, I mean FAST...

Can't help but think it can keep up with me... even on my ride. Gonna have to hold up in town somewhere well lit till daybreak. Don't want to risk dragging it back to the cabin... SH*T the cabin... WIE IS THERE ALONE!

DAMN IT ALL...
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

PM sent.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Frost

Post by Frost »

I parked in an open lot... it was very well lit, and there was no traffic. Just outside the light, I could feel icy stares from the shadows... I swear it felt like more than one set of eyes... but that could just be paranoia. I tried to radio Wie from the lot... but my hand held CB just got static, like something nearby was interfering.

I sipped on my flask to calm my nerves, but it just made me sleepy ...bad move. Just before sunrise, as the first twinkle of light began to illuminate my surroundings, I saw him/it. Just about 200 feet out, literally just inches outside the lots lights. As the sun rose, and began to bathe the area in light, it simply walked into a shadow along the back wall and vanished.

suddenly my CB static cleared, and i was able to broadcast once again... problem is, the battery is nearly dead, so it's not pushing hard enough to reach the cabin from here. As i sat overnight in the lot, i looked through the bag of herbs, i still need ingredients for the bags. still need five finger, a cat's eye shell and a small dagger or knife.

I can't let Wie, or myself down on this... I'll hit the Yakima Indian reservation on my way out to the cabin. Mayhaps they have what I need. I got directions from a contact to a Shaman nicknamed "Chief Billy"... I hope his skill exceeds his name. Wish me luck all.

-Frost-