Facebook is the Devil

A place where members can debate rumors and claims of conspiracies, cover-ups and secret government activities.
Cybermancer

Facebook is the Devil

Post by Cybermancer »

Recent events have gotten me to start thinking about what we share about ourselves and those around us on the internet.

Then I came across this Youtube video about Facebook.

You might think I'm joking here and certainly the people who made this video have their tongues solidly in their cheeks. And the points, while delivered with a wink and a nod, are valid.

Even in our insular little online community here at Lazlo, there are things we share publicly that perhaps we shouldn't. Sometimes things are also left out that shouldn't be.

I think that after some review that a lot of grief can be saved if we take care in posting. Think, then type is probably the best advice I can offer. This is especially important in such a small and tight knit community as the Lazlo Society. We don't want to inadvertantly upset those who are important to us or are part of our extended family.

Also bare in mind that for all that is shown publicly, sometimes there are layers under the surface that should be considered as well.

After all, it's incredibly easy to create a fake facebook account or even lie on a real one.

In this modern age it can be tough both to discern the truth while paradoxically sharing too much at the same time. Hopefully the digital age hasn't robbed us of our ability to be understanding of one another and to both apologize and offer forgiveness when each is required.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Nemesis

Re: Facebook is the Devil

Post by Nemesis »

This is why I don't have Facebook or Twitter.

Though I don't think they have a supernatural component.

Or do they?
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Cynthia, they can turn anyone into an idiot in 140 characters or less. There has to be something magic involved in that.

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Hannah wrote:Cynthia, they can turn anyone into an idiot in 140 characters or less. There has to be something magic involved in that.

Hannah

In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes - Andy Warhol.

The internet and other interactive media just takes this to its natural conclusion. Either way, I never saw the appeal in either Twitter or Facebook - or that one thing that makes photos look vintage. I have this thing called an actual camera for that.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Grace

Post by Grace »

Of course, that begs the question of who does have Facebook or twitter accounts?
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

It would seem that no one wishes to share that information, Momma. Oddly wise of them.
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

This would be a terrible time to mention having such a thing. Only a man obsessed with self-promotion could be capable of such a thing. Either that, or he just has too much swagger to keep to himself.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

A man with an ego to rival my own. :P

Have a nice day!
Grace

Post by Grace »

There are far too many large egos on this site. :P
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.