Technology Project

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Ron Caliburn

Re: Technology Project

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Seriously you two, can't I catch a break?
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Odds are if you did, you'd still think something was wrong, Ron. :P
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Apparently. Seeing as Darcy and Hannah have also turned Cynthia against me.

Delta Sierra
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Oh Papa,

Nothing could turn me against you.

Nothing.
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I don't think he means that literally little sister, he's probally just complaining on how the three of us tend to gang up on him about things like the situation with Celeste.

Though it is hard to tell with him sometimes.

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm hard to get along with, I get that.

Delta Sierra
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Biggest undersatement of the year. Perhaps even the decade. :lol:
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Konrad,

LOL.

Hannah

PS: A friend of yours found his way here.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Anyway,

The Japanese have been at it again. This time with a 13ft tall robot. Now this thing is clearly a rich person's toy however, there are several proof of concepts here that can easily be improved upon.

One of the things I would like to see is improved mobility in the legs, to the point where instead of just going up and down, they could step, allowing it to crab walk. Also, hydraulics are too slow. Instead, the technology of electroactive polymers or artificial muscles should be more fully developed to provide the speed of electric motors and the strength of hydraulics. The engine of this device will need a few upgrades as well. Ten kilometers per hour is simply too slow. With the right electric motors at each wheel, six times that speed should be readily possible.

Of course if it were to be used in hunting the supernatural, the toys it has would have to be replaced with actual weapons of some sort. Still, maybe not military grade hardware as many supernatural creatures have exploitable vulnerabilities.

Other considerations such as armor, communications and digital warfare technology would also have to be looked at. I did like the wireless remote feature though.

We're still a long way off before we have mecha battling along side of us. From a military stand point, they'll never replace tanks but there is a role they could fill as infantry heavy weapon porters and launch systems.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

I have few finds to add to this thread. Some of you may find them interesting.

First would be the driverless car. Given that the majority of accidents are caused by human error, the sooner the human factor is removed, the better.

Here's a new advance in the area of computing. Preserve your important data indefinitely. Makes you wonder about alleged connections between ancient Atlantis and crystals of various sorts.

Get the feeling you're being watched? Maybe you are.

Machines are now starting to read minds. Well, not quite but getting closer. So what's scarier? A T-800 or R. Daneel Olivaw?

Want to live forever? Only if you're a billionaire, apparently. Naturally, similar technology is being explored for military purposes.

Also, Big Brother is Watching.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hello Robyn. It's always agreeable to see you posting.

I found a few articles that you might find interesting. Certainly things I'll be looking at much more closely in the days to come.

Let's start in the area of bionics. One of the most complex parts of our bodies is a step closer to becoming replaceable. This Bionic Hand might be limited now, but it's a step to bigger and better things.

Here we have another method of controlling bionics (and perhaps robotics as well).

Next we have the issue of hearing loss. This bionic ear brings us closer to recreating human hearing without external support.

The blind may soon be getting a leg up. Or at least a new lease on vision. This Bionic Eye has allowed some people to read and see color although work is still ongoing.

Now onto external systems. Medical exo-skeletons are starting to make the news. This system is similar to the military HULC unit but used to help people walk. It's much less bulky than that of the New Zealand model. Note the prices of each however.

Earlier RAVEN mentioned virtual space. Well, Google would like us to see it.

The area of materials is also making advancements. Specifically Graphene and spinnable nano-tubes.

Oh, and since Robyn mentioned mind reading machines, I suppose that I could reveal a more detailed article related to the subject. It's a step closer to being able to take what a person is dreaming and putting it on a video screen for outsiders to observe. It might also allow outside digital stimulus to effect what was going on in that dream. More mundanely, it will allow people to 'plug in' to the virtual world on a much mroe intimate level. It might even allow the direct sharing of ideas and collaboration between humans and artificial intelligences.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I think I might learn to ride a motorcycle.
Cybermancer

Listen carefully...

Post by Cybermancer »

The US is testing laser weapons.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

The Brits are starting to modernize.

So are the French and Germans.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

A more indepth article on the XOS-2.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

One step closer...

I admit I've been dabbling in this field. I think we'll see the next generation of these devices come in at 10 lbs or less, have battery lives of well over 12 hours and the cost drop below $20,000 per unit. We're already seeing similar systems come out for people's upper body and arms as well.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

One thing holding back theoretical science from becoming engineering reality is the current level of energy density available in batteries.

Apparently the answer involved condensing xenon difluoride into a crystalline matrix using diamond anvils. This is one step closer to getting us metastable metallic hydrogen but could be developed and used sooner. This is the sort of energy density to make lightweight power armor and humanoid robots a reality.

Figures it involves crystals. Those ancients really were onto something.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Let's talk lasers. First up we have the first commercially available laser flashlight that converts a blue laser into white light. For fans of Star Wars, we have weaponized lasers as well.

A little more disturbing is the convergence of DNA analysis and 3-D printers.

Speaking of 3-D printers, they've already been used to manufacture artificial organs. Now they're going to give us bionics. Of course, speaking of bionics it turns out that there's no reason to lose any sense of touch in the future of the technology. New Smart Skin will take care of that problem.

This robot hand shows a new level of sensitivity and versatility as well. And at a much reduced cost.

Research into robot insects continues. In fact its really starting to take off. Bugs are also providing the inspiration for new breakthroughs in the realm of surveillance.

Find all these advances in robotics disturbing? You're not the only one to be influenced emotionally by our creations. And it seems they're learning a thing or two about their feelings from us.

Before I sign off, there are two more things I'd like to share. The first are an updated set of digital binoculars. I can't wait to get some. And perhaps Wie might like to get this braille smart phone.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

This should interest a number of posters here. Mr. Blue was doing it years ago.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Ever want to fly but don't know magic? The solution is on the way.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

So there's been some more advancements in science.

For example there are projects to create working mind controlled bionic limbs. Also being developed are limbs that will be able to send sensory inputs back to the mind. Soon these technologies will be combined.

Of course, regenerative powder may make all of that completely pointless.

And this one is bound to cause some problems between Hannah and I at some point.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Well damn.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

You know, as I make posts about cutting edge technologies that seem far off, I remember the past, like when receiving a paper by the internet was cutting edge. Let's all jump into our time machines and travel back to the year, 1981.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

One of the prevailing problems with all the gadgets and gizmos that our modern technology provide us, is how to power them. Personally I've been pursuing research with regards to more energy dense batteries and fuels. Other scientists and engineers have been pursuing more efficient energy systems while still others work on regenerative systems. The people at the University of Waterloo have made some breakthroughs using smart materials in the area of energy harvesting technology.

I for one, will not be too proud to reap the fruits of their labor. Indeed, I hope to see more such advances from other corners in the future.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

There's been an interesting development in the field of artificial muscles. This could make bionic implants viable in the near future and revolutionize exo-suits.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

I knew that one would give you a geek-gasm. :roll:
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Star Wars is what got me into fencing.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Gotham Witch wrote:I knew that one would give you a geek-gasm. :roll:

You don't know the half of it ;)

Hannah Knight