Technology Project

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Cybermancer

Technology Project

Post by Cybermancer »

So I've been considering what technology can do to help those of us that must regularily deal with the supernatural. Many of the things we face have superior physical capabilities. Strength, endurance and speed that a normal human can't hope to match.

At least, not assisted. Developments in the field of exosuits and military exosuits by several companies may well turn that around. The first one shows a unit that is actually meant to be an external prosthetic. It is lightweight and can currently move around under its own power, untethered. The second one requires a tether but not for much longer.

A good start, right? But there are other hurdles to overcome. Some of the things we face can fly. There's a solution for that as well.

I don't think we can stop there, however. All too often we have experienced encounters with things that could not be seen. So why should they have all the fun. We need to be able to turn invisible as well.

What I would actually like to do, is take all these technologies and combine them into one unit. A project I'm going to call "Daedalus."

Anyone have any other ideas to contribute? Using technology that either exists or is in development and close to completion? For example while I would love to use metastable metallic hydrogen to fuel this thing, that's still a long way off so can't be considered viable for this project. Paper thin batteries on the other hand are feasible.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Gotham Witch

Re: Technology Project

Post by Gotham Witch »

While not terribly helpful, I am quite happy to see you back to posting interesting techno-babble, Matt.

PS: Predictable coming from me, but have you considered a Batsuit?
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I think the problem with the Batsuit is that it doesn't go far enough. Body armor is great. A utility belt/harness is a must. A cape that lets you glide? Definitely a plus. But it needs to be taken up a notch. There is lightweight exo-suit frames that exist today that can make the user stronger, faster and go farther. And gliding is great but flying is better!

Then there is the subject of optics, sensors and communications. There is a whole battery of EW tricks that could be built into a single suit.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I have begun field tests on a prototype that comes close to the Batsuit. It's a suit of armor with light exo-suit enhancements. So far there's nothing like a cape or flight/glide capability to it. Still, it's been performing to expectations.

*Edit*

Similar to the guy on the left but with an exo-frame added to the legs, back and arms. The exo-frame is similar to the Lockheed HULC system but with actual arm joints added on.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I am more well read than most on matters of technological developments, but I am not handy. I will be no help in the construction, so I leave the labor in your capable and talented hands.

Gotham Witch makes a valid point about simplicity. Many of the most useful features of such a project might not be the most technologically advanced. A flashlight built into the system that frees ones hand could be invaluable. Many of our brawl-happy members might prefer the Batman look to the Iron-Man fashion.

In terms of improvements, I have only suggestions that you have probably considered. The first which comes to my mind would be a stun charge which wraps around the suit. Thus, when a nasty critter does get its grip on our brave pilot, the suit will understand from the pressure that it is being squeezed to death and release a strong electrical jolt. My own experience with gargoyles demonstrated to me that many of the fiends are fond of grabbing and grappling despite their ability to trow trucks at me from a safer range.

Another would be a way to release the suit quickly. When the machine does take enough damage to become non-fuctional, it would be a lot of dead weight. Our brave pilot may want to abandon ship and try to get away.

Then there is always Augmented Reality, a favorite topic of mine. This feature covers a wide range of abilities. It could be as simple as a voice activated cell phone and HUD screen for calling in help or accessing the Lazlo Wiki for reference. More advanced abilities might include integrating some additional sensor like a heat camera into the normal view, or accessing the city's stop light camera to see around the next corner. Unfortunately, such software would require at least as much time to develop as the hardware. The upside would be that the system would be easier to upgrade in the future by uploading fresh software.

Good luck, Handycybersmurf!
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Good day RAVEN,

The HULC style exosuit actually works very well with the so called 'Batman' style. And most exosuit designs currently in progress have quick release straps allowing the exosuit to be removed in a matter of seconds.

And again, systems like the HULC are actually very simple. Especially to use.

When it comes to creating a virtual and interactive 'action space', I can assure you that I would be taking full advantage of current wireless and digital technology. A lot can be done with off the shelf technology and software already. For example, the Future Soldier program in the states was developing a portable computer system for their project and then just opted to use an Android smart phone instead.

Actually, quite a bit of my inspiration has come from the Future Soldier program and the technologies they are combining and developing. From what I've seen, I think we'll be seeing augmented soldiers and law enforcement officers (SWAT style units) sometime in the next ten years. Augmentation systems for medical use as well as emergency and medical services seems to be keeping pace with the defense market. Indeed, ideas between the two markets are being exchanged.

I'm actually very interested in the HAL civilian/medical system as I think it could assist me in regaining mobility in my right leg.

I think the biggest obstacle to this project at the moment is finding ways to make the diverse technologies that are out there work together in an efficient and user friendly manner.

What follows is a series of links for other gadgets that people in our line of work might find useful at different times.

Big Dog

HRP-4 Robot

Amphibious Snake

Talon

Squad Mission Support System

RC Blimp with surveillance

Knight XV This is what I drive, by the way. Real fuel hog and takes up a lot of space on the road.

HD Video Sunglasses

LED Flashlight

Hidden Flash Drive Watch With call display?

Wrist Portable Device Charger

Portable Device Solar Charger

Earphone Speaker Key Chain

Virtual Laser Keyboard

Camera Phone Camera Lens

Smart Phone Photo Printer

Smart Phone Voice Control Module

Sardine Can Survival Kit

Smart String Measuring Tape

Pocket Microscope

Key chain lighter

Key chain static charge eliminator

Tool Logic Survival Card w/Fire starter

Microjet Lighter Torch

Spy Coins

Bullet Proof Clip Board

Exitool Automotive Rescue Tool

Sonic grenade

Phantom Key Stroker

Micro Remote

USB to SATA/IDE Combo Kit

Touchless IR Thermometer

Portable vibration speaker

Spectrum analyzer

Smart Phone Controlled Desk Pet Tank Bots

RFID Blocking Wallet

Night Vision Digital Camera

Video Pen Camera

Book Vault

Super Ear

Laser Trip Wire

Closed Hood Car Jump Starter

Smart Phone Vehicle Diagnostics

USB Audio Recorder

Key chain audio recorder

Camera Detector

Suit Case Solar Power

Wardrobe in a jacket

If you're thinking I either have, can make or have used everything on this list? You're right.
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

That survival kit looks useful... well, so does the rest of the list, but I can only carry so much.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

He's been working on a utility belt and harness combination that will allow him to fit as much of it as possible into one outfit. He let me sneak a peak at the outfit.

I told him he needs a cape but he just says in a high pitched voice,
"No capes!" I think he thinks he's being funny but I'm not sure why.

-Cynthia
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Capes and other long garments cause tactical issues Cynthia, I thought you would have known that.

If it wasn't for the need to conceal so many of the accessories I take with me in the field my long coat would stay at home every time.

Matt, I do think you and I should collaborate on some items sometime. My approach may not be quite as high tech as yours, but I am sure we could both benefit from the collaboration.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Ron,

Don't let the high tech toys fool you. I have a great appreciation for the applications of low tech solutions as well. In fact, my favorite time piece is a swiss pocket watch that I have to wind every day. It compares favorably with the most advanced digital pieces and I don't have to worry about it's battery or losing it to an EMP.

So I agree, we could both benefit from collaborating some time. That just leaves when and where.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Not part of nor related to any of the projects I have on the go but this hovercar is interesting nonetheless.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

This little device might come in handy in certain situations. But not if you're up against Grace. She doesn't need a second shot.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Now this is a shocking development.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

For our female members who find themselves in the thick of it but find current body armor uncomfortable, there is hope. The US military is working on 8 new sizes of body armor designed for women.

I can think of at least one warrior princess who could benefit from these advances.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Sounds like the military is catching up with Dad again. He's made custom armor for me for a while now. He's quite the seamstress . . . well when he's working with Kevlar anyway.

Of course his armor is a lot more flexible than what the military uses so as exact a fit isn't quite as necessary.

Hannah

PS: He used to grumble about how difficult it was to keep up with my changing proportions during my teenage years. I bet he'll have similar issues with Cynthia if she fills out anywhere near as nice as her momma did.
I will be who I chose to be.
LostSeeker

Post by LostSeeker »

Wow, where can you get some of these awesome toys!
Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth-Sherlock Holmes
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Most of it can be ordered online if you look around a bit for it, though some of the robots and exo-suits are still experimental and not available to the public (the HAL is available to medical intituitions for sale or lease).

I can custom build a version of pretty much any robot system you see linked in my posts, but of course it takes time and money to do so. Anywhere from a week to a few months depending on what it is you want.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I've recently been highly motivated to increase my interest in the hunting and slaying of vampires. With those thoughts in mind, I will bring everyone's attention to advances made in crossbow technology.

First there is the PSE Tactical Assualt Crossbows. These are crossbows that you can mount on your existing AR lower receiver. These are very powerful cross bows that are compatible to an array of accesories that already exist. See that hand crank though?

I see no reason it can't be replaced with a small electric motor. One inventive man with arthritis has already made a proof of concept design though I would want to make it smaller, lighter and faster. Much faster.

The third element of design is having multiple rounds/bolts. Fortunately the Chinese saw this necessity ages ago. There have been other proof of concept designs since.

It shouldn't take very long to have a prototype AR mounted multi-shot electric loading crossbow ready to go for field testing.

Any volunteers?
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

When you say “field” do you mean an actual field or actual vampires?
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Well, I'm hoping to test the effectiviness of these weapons directly against vampires in the field. Though I understand I'm not likely the best person to conduct the tests myself.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Well if you want to try them out in a safer environment before hunting down a vampire, I know some guys who would be interested.
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Grace

Post by Grace »

Technology is great, Cyber. I love it as much as the next girl. Heck, I still have some of the toys you provided me and I use them all the time. But let's not forget the importance of skill.

As nifty as a semi-automatic crossbow might be, my favored weapon is without a doubt the traditional bow. Why?

Check out this girl (a red head by coincidence?) Her skill and speed are quite impressive.

Could I do what she is doing? Feh, I could do better.

In any case, I'm good with cross bows too and am willing to help either way. I'd just like to see some archery love in the tech department.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Thank you Natasha, Darcy.

I'll have some prototypes ready in a week or two.

As for the Archery love, I haven't exactly neglected it.

Though it would be a bit weird to see the Black Widow using Hawk Eye's gear.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Not to discount the feat of the Russian girl there, it is quite likely that she is using a very light bow. Probably around 20 to 30 pounds. Even the fairly light target bows used in the Olympics can be twice that. Hunting and war bows can be twice that again.

My understanding is that she is a part of some sort of theatrical or live action role playing company, hence the extremely lightweight bow.

To achieve her rate of fire with a bow built for combat would require training since childhood in progressively much more powerful bows. The skeletons of medieval archers have been found to be deformed from the repetitive stress their bodies experienced over their lives.

Now unlike most other competitive archers I train myself for speed as well as precision and I train on heavier bows than the typical target bows. I have a few reasons for doing this, but in regards to my competitions the extra speed and strength has helped my form improving my accuracy and stability.

If someone wants to use a bow as a serious weapon they will probably need similar practice to me.

But if they do they will have a number of significant advantages in doing so. It is basically silent, has an effective range better than that of many firearms (though don't expect it to outdo a rifle) and arrows, depending on configuration, can be far better in penetrating and wounding potential than a lot of firearm loadings. I've also watched my father struggling to incorporate various materials into the tight confines of a bullet. The arrow has a lot more space for a designer to work with.

On the downside bows are not small and neither is the ammunition. So carrying one around is pretty obvious and you have a limit to how many shots you get. As pointed out above, even competitive archers won't necessarily be very fast with their shooting either. If you do train yourself to be fast in similar amount of time you'd be able to make yourself very, very good with a gun.

So unless you already have the training and skill I wouldn't suggest a bow as a weapon.

Hannah
Grace

Post by Grace »

Hey Hannah,

:P

That's a raspberry, in case it's not clear.

And like I said, I could totally do better. Remember, you're not the only girl here with a lot of experience with a bow. I can really feel your pain over the Olympics thing because I went through it too. People seem to miss some details in all the firearms talk because firearms are just sexier. And let's face it, there are very good reasons why they supplanted the bow as the main weapon of warfare. (Simplicity in the training being the first).

The choice in archery is this, either rapidly putting a lot of arrows in the air (a tactic used against massed formations-the Saracens were known for being able to have three arrows in the air before the first landed nearly 70 meters away) OR increased accuracy (used against individual opponents). So it's not just a matter of pull strength, although major time has to be invested in training regardless of speed or accuracy focus. And few have the time to master both (though its definitely possible.

As for the girls skill, I deliberately left out the video where she was flubbing some of her drills. Why? Because she was shorthaired redhead doing something kind of awesome with a bow. :P
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I know you have archery skills Darcy, though we've never really had the chance to see who's better head to head. My comments were mostly for those who think that they could just pick up the bow and learn it fast and easy. Without boastfulness I can say I am a great archer, but it has been years of practice to get to that point.

Pull strength is one of the two big limiters on speed (technique is the more critical one). It is also a limiter on accuracy. The heavier the bow's pull the harder it is to rapidly pull the bow back and to keep it steady. This is a big reason why target bows are so weak. Meanwhile Hunting and Warbows are so much bigger due to the expectation that they will have to do something to their targets.

You're right in that traditional combat archery emphasized speed or accuracy. However those were the days in which the archer was either dealing with a group of troops marching across the field or a lone warrior charging towards him. In those circumstances he had the advantage of either a big target or a target he had time to work against.

In a more modern situations targets are dispersed and fleeting. This means you have very little time to acquire and engage a target. Something a gun is able to do far better than a bow. Using a bow in a modern situation requires you to combine speed and accuracy on every shot instead of just situational ones.

This is why only an expert could really make use of one in a modern circumstance.

Hannah
Grace

Post by Grace »

Hannah wrote:I know you have archery skills Darcy, though we've never really had the chance to see who's better head to head.

If someone's thinking they can match me for accuracy or speed or both when it comes to archery, someone's feeling their oats for sure. :D

Anytime you want to compete without worrying about holding back, you let me know. But no powers. :P
-Oscar Wilde.
Clarity

I don’t know how to help build a real one, yet. Is that oka

Post by Clarity »

Grace wrote:Hey Hannah,

:P

That's a raspberry, in case it's not clear.

_____That sounds like fun, Miss Grace Darcy! Can I try that, please?

:idea:

_____P.S. This is a popcorn caramel ball for you, in case it isn’t clear.
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I think Hannah is overstating the change in her proportions and ignoring the fact that she was growing in all dimensions when she first came to live with me. Making new protective gear that fit her was a seasonal process.

But on to the more recent topic of bows. While I can't claim to be much of a bowyer, I have experimented with crossbows as a delivery system in the past. I suppose others might have made more use for them, but ultimately for me shotguns and grenade launchers have proven appropriate delivery systems for the specialist payloads a monster slayer might need.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Grace

Post by Grace »

That's right. Ron is the be all, end all expert on monster slaying. If it doesn't carry his personal seal of approval, it's an inferior method. :roll:
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Darcy,

you know the way Dad is. He likes things to work in a certain way. If it doesn't he thinks it's wrong.

Hannah