Because I'm New 'Round Here

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Serpens Walker

Because I'm New 'Round Here

Post by Serpens Walker »

I figured I'd post something up. This comes back from some time I spent in New York dealing with a rogue pharmaceutical agency mixed up with vampires.

Vampires. Always god damned vampires... Could it be something interesting? Something I could talk to? No. Worthless, violent suckheads who see me coming from fifty miles away and decide they gotta make somethin' of it.

I was spending the night at a friends place. Before anyone asked, she looked just fine, but it wasn't like that. I don't think it'd work out between us anyhow. She's into the craft, and I'm well... that's another story entirely.

So we're hanging out there, and unfortunately, we're both on the radar as being troublemakers for the bad guys in town. Seems like the two of us being in the same location hit some kind of suck head Defcon 1 because they decided to raid her building that night, and they did it with critters that I've taken to calling chupathingies.

Why chupathingies? Because they remind me of chupacabras, except that their claws and bites turn victims who can't resist the disease into the mindless, four legged things. I got scratched ONCE. Lemme' tell ya, not doing that again. If you think you've seen anything that sounds like that, lemme' know-these things need to be snuffed out, permanent like.

There's not much to tell about the event. It was a battle royale-they weren't even trying to hide supernatural involvement. It was the most overt strike I'd seen in a long time. Myself, my attractive cohort, and the people of New York slew two score of the chupathingies, at least six of the normal suckheads, and one that had full blown bat wings and spatial cheats. He was a pain in the ass.

At least twelve tenants were killed, drained, or turned. Division 6 of the NYPD helped us deal with PR damage control, leading to-you guessed it!-reports of a blown gas main. The worst part though? I knocked the freak with the wings through the cute girl's wall before I could finally draw my USP and put blessed .45 rounds into the ugly.

Not my most spectacular victory or foul up, but I'd rate that at about a 4/10 on the old Trouble Scale.
"Anyone who does not partake of society is either a beast or a god." — Aristotle
Hannah

Re: Because I'm New 'Round Here

Post by Hannah »

Hi Serpens,

I think I remember the Gas Main story from the news.

it does sound pretty blatent and there is quite the menagerie there too. My father has been dealing with a vampire problem around DC for years and I can't think of anything like what you're talking about. I'm sure he'll want to get some tactical insights from you on this.

So this Division 6? What's it about? Is it something that should concern those with gifts operating in New York? Speaking of gifts, how did you put the big ugly through the wall?

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Welcome to our little corner of the asylum, Sir Serpens of Clan Walker. I am glad you made it through that night while retaining the mortal coil yourself. I have no personal experience with nosferatu, but I understand they can be particularly dangerous.

If you don't mind, I do have a few questions about the event. It's the inquisitive reporter in me. First, how long ago is "some time." Second, did this happen in New York State or the New York City? I ask because a couple of other members operate in the Big Proverbial Apple. Third, what does a chupathingy look like? I would like to warn my minions (my loving term for employees).

Please excuse the inquisition.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Hello Joe. I'm glad to see you're still kicking.

You'll be happy to know I found a new apartment - the third explosive break in was enough for me or my landlord. I'm also still alive - and from a biased perspective still cute.

If you're still in the NY metro area, I'd say drop by, but I'm currently in Europe. Assuming your number hasn't changed I might drop you a line when I'm back in town.

PS: I haven't heard anything lately regarding chupathingies.

PPS: Hannah, technically my neighborhood was the NYPD 6th Precinct. I recall the NYPD having some controversially funded apartment dedicated to unexplained cold cases, but their funding was due to be cut before the recession. I haven't heard a thing about them since.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

General rule there Gotham, if something that was already kinda secretive and controversial got it's funding cut, that just means it's funding is now off the books.

After-all, you didn't really think the Pentagon spent $9000 on a hammer, did you?
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Difficult to say what happened in that situation. The time I spent in New York was pretty hot the whole way through. 'Some time ago' is years, not months, and I've never really had a head for dates, especially while running for my life one night and finding clawed body work on my car the next day... I'll narrow your search down to August of 2008, but that's the best I can offer you. Might've been September.

My first thought when I encountered one of these chupathingies was that it was some unclassified demon. They are four legged, sickly green, fleshy... sort've an insult to dogs, but dog-like things. I'd love to link you to anatomical illustrations, but they share that quality of vampires to dissolve when finally slain. If it would help your story, I could try to draw one from memory, but it won't be the best reference since I was mostly trying to keep them the hell away as I rather like my throat where it is. If someone gets a cut from an unidentified, beastial demon that is a sickly green color, and the cut starts to burn and the skin around it starts to turn a metallic green, start an H2O2 flush immediately, and have bandages on hand to prevent further infection. Amputate if it looks like it's going to spread from one location to the next.

And hey Mel. Thought that was you from what I was reading in here. How long has this been up? I'm actually back out in Colorado right now, but you know me... I go wherever needs going to. Number's still the same. Could be bugged, but then, if the old infamous 'they' are taking interest in the activities of this loose cannon, that's probably better for everyone doing serious research.

As for Division 6 Hannah, it was a local inside joke to members of the NYPD unit that responded to unnatural disturbances. See enough things, ostensibly work for the government, have all of your official reports classified, and see how long it takes before you start cracking jokes about how you're one of the Men In Black. ...that said... they say the greatest truths come in the form of a joke. I dunno that I'd push that one too hard. I've lost track of all of those guys, though that's more to do with my operational theatre no longer being centered on New York. Still, a healthy dose of paranoia, soft footsteps, large calibre weapons, and unexpected tactics keep snoops alive.

And Ron, simply put, I don't know. I'm assuming nothing, and keeping an open mind. ...though for reference, I don't believe for a minute they spend 9 grand on a hammer. It does concern me once and again that our government may be spending black project funding on supernatural initiatives, but so far I haven't come across anything to suggest things I'd feel required interdiction.

>.>
"Anyone who does not partake of society is either a beast or a god." — Aristotle
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Ah, I've only been in New York a couple of years, but I do remember a gas explosion. Perhaps the old dogs haven't learned any new tricks?

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

It's the easiest thing to blame. When they start subway renovations, I'm sure they'll start blaming all collateral damage on equipment malfunctions, just like they blame everything that happens on the docks as faulty crane rigging.

After all, what better place to hide something than underneath an accident?
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

I Suspect we might have a vampire presences here in Lexington area of Kentucky. I have not seem much evadince and have yet to run into any thing but the PSI vamps. so how do I go about conforming this suspension one way or the other.
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Razor

Post by Razor »

Ron, wanna take the lead on this question?
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Vampire infestations are hard to find usually. Though there are some patterns.

1) Disappearances. If the vampires are smart, there won't be many notable disappearances in town, unless you go looking for those that won't show up in the paper. Travelers who went missing in the general area (not usually reported for weeks or even months later), street people, prostitutes, gang bangers. If the vampires are smart that's who they are going after. If the vampires are dumb, well you probably know they are already there by the number of dead bodies. Unlike a lot of the other monsters we deal with, vampires rarely if ever feed on animals.

2) A sub-culture. Now I'm not going to say just look for a bunch of emo/goth kids, but there will be some sort of sub-culture somewhere that eschews traditional morality. Vampires like followers, especially followers who are young, beautiful, easily seduced and/or wealthy. Less intelligent vampires might find their way into street gangs. Look for these groups, especially the leader ship, doubly so if the leadership is very secretive.

3) Trolling. In my experience if the vampires know there is someone in town who knows what they are and is capable of doing them harm, they will come to you. At least they will at first. Once you prove you're tougher than most of the local vampires, they will do their best to hide from you. Of course by that time you know they are there. Oddly, they generally won't try to just suck you dry while you sleep. It's some sort of dominance thing, they have to prove they are better than you by winning in a 'fight.' Though they will use plenty of dirty tricks to give them the edge int hat fight.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

You actually want to FIND vampires?

Let's start with the obvious. Blacked out, covered windows. Is there a goth hangout in town that's so goth they painted the windows black? Might start there. Any place that people can reasonably congregate that is genuinely underground. Also, anyone who seems just a bit too wholesomely stuck in the past is a good candidate for scrutiny. Remember that some vampires go into periods of extended dormancy. They won't be caught up on current traditions.

If you're quick with your glances, check for long, dirty fingernails, people with pale complexions with bruising on their hands, neck, and lips, and anyone who seems quietly confident with an aversions to animals.

Generally, Ron is right. If you so much as blip as supernatural, they'll come find you. But just for a moment, consider something a bit more mundane. We commonly would prefer to think that it's vampires or demons that are abducting people, making them disappear, and recruiting more into the halls of the damned, but it could just as easily be cultists. Vampires typically don't want to draw attention to themselves. I just am a bit more than a supernatural blip, particularly since that scuffle with the chupathingie-our going theory is that it drives the weaker ones nuts when I'm in the general area.

Seriously though, cultists have the potential to be even more depraved than any monster you'll ever encounter because unlike the monsters, we can safely assume that cultists CHOSE to be like that.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Having grown up in a cult Serpens, I have to disagree. Most cultists are victims of the cult they are in. People who were deceived into believing something was right and true instead of just a pack of lies. Thats why I try to avoid using force on the rank and file of a cult, at least when I can avoid it.

Cult leaders on the other hand, yeah, they are the problem ones. They are either cynical manipulators of people, or totally crazy true believers. Either type is trouble waiting to happen.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

I completely agree with you Ron. The only time I ever endorsed firing on rank and file cultists was when I didn't have a clear path to a leader performing a big ritual. ...you could tell something was about to go down, the walls were glowing. Even then, it was an associate by the name of Angela Spade who opened fire.

I couldn't be bothered with the gun at the time. I was too busy doing a swinging kick with drapes from a balcony at the time. I don't think I've ever kicked anyone harder in my life. I also don't think I was ever more surprised when I BOUNCED OFF of someone in my life.

...doesn't change the fact that some of the rank and file cultists go all in with their leader, though...
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

It is not like I am looking for more to do, hell the most poupler extra creculer activity on EKU seems to be demon summing. So I have to deal with all that goes with that form possession to rampaging beasts, Lexington is not quit so bad though I do get some trouble form there. But Richmond and EKU seems to be the starting point for a good half of all the strangeness in the area. I am actual working on the red cap that some net wit called up. it started in richmond then moved up to lex. So with every thing else going on here and lets not forgit the cults that some times make problems... So how to I shift throw all the supernateral back ground clutter to find out if I have vampires in the area with out coming a cross a vampire kill mind you
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Tms3 wrote:So with every thing else going on here and lets not forgit the cults that some times make problems... So how to I shift throw all the supernateral back ground clutter to find out if I have vampires in the area with out coming a cross a vampire kill mind you

Well, that is the million dollar question, ain't it? If you're like me and you're sensitive to supernatural presences, particularly where you are, that could be one hell of a constant headache. If you're not, then you have a challenge I can't even relate to since detecting supernatural things is simply a literal part of how I experience the world.

You might actually have to do good old fashioned detective work. I'm an excellent infiltrator, and I'm good at snagging items of interest, but I'm not much for connecting the dots. I'm much better at spotting trends and patterns. A big thing with vampires is that they WERE people, and whether it's some sort of twisted pleasure they derive or wistful longing for the life they had, it's common to find them doing risky activities that could expose their nature.

Risky in this context would be things like seeing and embracing their family and friends. Hanging out with old office colleagues at bars. I've never met a vampire that didn't want to still be thought of as human at some level.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Yes I am sensitive to the supernatural and a mage, fully trained druid caster actually. So I am vary sensitive to natcher and the natural flows of power and any thing that disrupts them. but actually what has me thinking about this is the Vampire cult form a number of years ago. I don't now if any one remembers the group of kids that went down to Florida and killed his girl friends family then took her and ran for Louisianan I think that is where they where arrested. any way they where called by the press a vampire cult. I do not know how true that was but I always felt there was more to the case then we where lead to believe but then I haven't heard any thing real recent about that type of activity in might be that they where a group with qestanable grasp on reality and got into playing vampire the masquerade.

there is also the fact that I still do not know what killed my father, I do not know what decorates the trees and shrubs of the front garden with some ones entrails. and Several members of the order as well as hunters such as Van Helsing have described vamperism as a growing cancer. If that is the case finding it out and taking steps to keep it in check might be in order
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Vampirism is tricky. Unless they've figured out how to survive without blood, I wouldn't be too concerned about the spread of it. Yes, if there's one vampire, there will inevitably be more of them, but let's take a moment to examine the situation as scientists, and then as people.

As scientists and scholars, we really shouldn't outright condemn these creatures. My disdain for them is purely that I keep getting jumped by them, and occasionally that they try to meddle in mortal affairs. I'm in favor of a dialogue with these, and really with all creatures, however... it's a complicated mess. In spite of how much more powerful they typically are than we are, humans are astoundingly good at killing them. Getting them to actually even try to talk instead of attacking on sight has been one of my greatest challenges. So far I've only succeeded a handful of times, and the only time in a battle situation was from a vampire who's clan was proud of their honor as warriors.

As people, we need to remember they were people too, and in some cases, really still are that person with a debilitating medical condition. But we also need to temper whatever compassion we may have for them by understanding that they are in the grasp of supernatural forces beyond our comprehension, and at a certain point, they are predators that prey on us.

I may operate alone most of the time, but I understand better than anyone that we are stronger and better when we come together. Leave the indiscriminate slaying of monsters to people who would be blind with their hate. The rest of us have a much more complicated job-trying to understand their purpose with us here.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Serpens,

I am going to have to disagree with you there. You see, I have never considered myself a scientist or a scholar.

I'm a soldier.

I'm a soldier in a war to protect the human race from things that feed upon it. Now at one time perhaps, my default was to kill any vampire I came across. Circumstances have moderated that slightly, but only very slightly. If it can be proven to me that a vampire is no threat to the innocent . . . well then I'll keep a close eye on it to be sure. But that proof needs to come fast, like before I have the vampire in my sight picture fast.

These things are too dangerous to be given more than the slimmest of chances. Anything more than that is foolishness. Too many good people have died because people believed that a vampire or werewolf or some other pretty monster meant no harm.

If I do destroy a 'good' vampire in the process of going after the evil majority, well at least I put their soul to rest.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

I've got nothin' against you and your methods, Caliburn. I'm just saying that there's more options on the table at any given time. And in your defense, I've got a few more options available should the need arise. If all you have is a gun and a good position, I don't blame you for taking the shot.

I'm not a soldier. I'm a scholar first and foremost... a scholar that likes dirt bikes, fast cars, and guns, but a scholar nonetheless. The irony is that I frequently have to kill the things I'm trying to talk to because people like you make 'em too afraid to have come out and have a chat.

Like it or not, these creatures are cohabitants of our world. You square with that your way, I'll square with it mine.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Your cohabitant is my alien invader.

Your too scared to talk is my predator.

I can only conclude you're ignorant of the true danger you are courting.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Conclude whatever you like. I highly doubt you've been dragged through a mirror by a proper Nine Hells Witch, and I'm pretty sure you never had to ask a Fleshsculptor to put the bones back in your arm after she thought you were there to kill her because that's what she was expecting.

When you start seeing the whole world as evil, what the hell are you even trying to save?
Grace

Post by Grace »

I guess it's a good thing for me that Momma saw me first, huh Papa? :D

How do you know if a soul is at rest? :|
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Nemesis belongs to you and is some breed of monster, eh? Interestin'. You'd think someone like you would have an enlightened self interest about cohabitating with these things.

What'd the world do to you, Caliburn? You don't have to answer me that one, but you oughta' think about it.

After all, wouldn't want to prove Nietzsche right.
Grace

Post by Grace »

That was my daughter, using my account, Serpens. She uses blue, I use red.

And while I've been accused of being a monster before, I don't belong to anyone.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Serpens, it isn't what the world did to me, it's what I owe the world.

I owe it to the world to make sure as many children find their way home at night.

I owe it to the world to make those shadows and dark places in our cities and towns safe from creatures that seek to do us harm.

I owe it to the world to put to rest those caught between life and death.

I owe it to the world to put an end to that which hunts us.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Perhaps 'associated with' might've been a better choice of words, Nemesis. I never imply property when talking about people, but we do to a certain extent belong to our loved ones.

As for the other matter...

You go and be the valiant protector then. I'm glad you get to do that.

Do y'know why I'm a libertarian? I have a similar mentality to yours, in some ways. I wanted to protect people. Was going to sign up for duty, be a Navy man, maybe even leave the demon hunting to people just like you. Turns out that an act of Congress prevents people like me from joining up.

I'm a wash out at everything but this. We live in a crazy mixed up world that tells me that I CAN'T do things every single damned day. So what do I do about it? The world you want to protect so badly shoved me into this line of work because I have traits deemed unacceptable for quite literally everything else. No one wants to hire someone who understands the laws and refuses to be their doormat. No one wants someone who the guy that sits there analyzing everything every moment of every day telling them they could boost efficiency by changing archaic business practices. Trust me here, I tried to have a normal life.

In a world that doesn't have monsters, there is literally no place for me.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

:shock: a Flesh scpoter....

Serpens you are lucky to be alive. that for the most part is a forbidden form of magic. My duty up on catching some one practicing it is clear. they have one chance to renounce what they are doing and to turn there magic to something more constructive. I am not saying there are not those whom practices that art that are not good errr well they where when they started and had only the best intentions. but it is one of the most curpeting forms of magic out there..

any form of magic in which the wielder imposes his or her will onto the natural order is vary dangers for the caster as well as any target. I work with nature to do what I do. I in effect to heal remind your body what it was to be healthy and hole and give it some extra umph to help it on its way. there is vary little I do that your body could not do on its own.
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Yeah, Tms3, I was surprised too-particularly given the chain of events that lead up to it all. Even more so that after we sorted the mess out, we made up and had a lobster dinner together on a boat. Shame she was pseudo undead...

Morality and ethics are tricky waters. I can choose to give anyone a chance, so I do. It's far more than the damn mundanes ever did for me, unless that chance could be combined with exploiting me for their personal gain. Honestly, I'd rather be bitten by a vampire every night than go back to a corporate job. By my reckoning, it's about the same net effect anyway-you get drained and turned into a soulless husk that then feeds on others to sustain you life.

Yeah, the Fleshsculptor... she was evil. Who knows how many people she's killed just to do her experiments. But if I killed her because of her twisted experiments on living creatures, in my ethical code, I can't make an exception for anyone else who does the same thing, and that means I'd be systematically going to pharmaceutical labs to be what PETA wishes they could be. I'd have to bust into secret government facilities to kill scientists doing unethical research that we KNOW they're doing, even if we can't prove it.

The way I figure it, if not having a double standard means I let the lone murdering mage go free, but also let the guys that I think mostly exploit us all for money continue making life saving medication that DOES save people, it balances out in the end, with one exception. If I ever get seriously messed up, I have someone that is willing to put me back together again in a way that you can't.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

you do have a point Serpens I do not what you to think I go around murdering spell slingers hell if I did that I would have to kill my self. and one standered that I always hold my self to. it does not mater what I know all that matters is what I can prove and if that means some one gets away? well how many inosent used or miss guided people did I save by doing so?

one think I tell my foster is there is much you can do with magic, magic is power but with all things, and all power magic has its price. some prices are just to high