A Valentine's Thought

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Hannah

A Valentine's Thought

Post by Hannah »

So was rereading some Lazlo after class today and his comments about emotional vampires really struck me. In particular he noted that a number of such entities have learned to trigger emotions in humans to feed off of. Because of an incomplete understanding of our minds, these entities tend to focus on negative emotions, like pain, fear, anger, sadness and loss, which are easier to trigger thus providing a more reliable source of emotional sustenance.

So, I was thinking, wouldn’t t be great if there were more of the entities that knew how to trigger positive emotions out there. Just think, if instead of being haunted by things that make us cower under our covers, imagine a world where you felt like every day was a cross between your birthday and Valentine’s Day. What a great world that would be and I doubt you’d find many people dedicated to keeping such entities away from humanity.

Hannah

PS: Of course it isn’t so. Just as I finished typing this up I got a text from Peter, he’s on a train out of town chasing another lead on his father’s killer and won’t be able to make the special Valentine’s Day dinner I had planned for him. Congratulations dark side, you’ve got more food tonight. Arrgh!
I will be who I chose to be.
Cybermancer

Re: A Valentine's Thought

Post by Cybermancer »

Just as it falls to humanity to stand against the dark, so to does it fall to us to bring the light.

I'm sorry to hear that your Valentines day plans will not work out the way you would have liked. Perhaps you can treat it like another day but with an emphasis on spending time with your friends? Save the romance and the plans until the opportunity comes up next, instead of pinning it all on an arbitrary calender date.

Romance is best when its a year round activity, in my humble opinion. I know I've missed opportunities in the past due to too much waiting.

For the record, I have encountered beings that seem to want to bestow positive emotions in those around them. They're called friends.

P.S. *Edit*

Did he say where he was going, exactly?
Last edited by Cybermancer on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

My two closest friends have Valentine's plans already, with each other (have fun you two and do everything I wouldn't do) so I'm probably going to wind up enjoying the Park on my own.

Hannah

PS: Maybe I'll troll for muggers, a good brawl would make me feel better.

**EDIT** PPS: He didn't, other than it's a new lead. I assume he's going to track the lead down and if he gets the chance, act on it. Which isn't a bad thing. Peter needs to get that resolved soon.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

I love feeding on positive emotions, and try to encourage them whereever I go.

I am sorry your valentine's plans fell through Hannah. If you need some company (if only yo help with the muggers :lol:), I am just a teleport away.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hannah,

Peter's problems will not be so easily solved or resolved. Trust me on this. I understand his feelings of anger and his need for revenge, really I do. Sometimes things are just more complicated than that.

As for the trolling for muggers thing, well, that's complicated too. I suppose we can discuss it when I drop by Friday.

All things considered, I'm going to see if I can make an opening in my schedule sooner than Friday. If that's all right by you, of course.

GhostSpider,

I'm glad to hear that you're the sort that prefers positive emotions.

P.S. Hannah, I could express mail you that movie, Labyrinth. Might be something better to do than your current plans.
Last edited by Cybermancer on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Thanks for the offer Konrad, but I'm sure you'd rather be around someone happy that day.

Matt, I'd rather watch it with you. I'm sure Ill have a lot of questions to ask.

Hannah.

PS: I have practice every weekday plus scheduled work outs and class. If you want to come early I'm sure I can squeeze you in though.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hey Hannah,

Something has come up that saw my plans for today and tomorrow cancelled. I'll probably be able to drop by tomorrow evening unless things change.
Last edited by Cybermancer on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technocrat

Post by Technocrat »

Hi Hannah!

I know things can get weird for those of us who have become aware of the larger world but that doesn't mean our lives can't be filled with romance. Even a geek like me can be living proof. I'll be taking my wife out to a very special dinner tonight.

So I'm sorry things aren't working out for you the way you'd like this year but keep your hopes up. It's not always going to be bad and better times are just ahead of us. I'm sure of it!

:D
Secrets for sale. Cheap.
Rowan

Apologies for the break in the post’s topic

Post by Rowan »

Sorry about my tangential thought—but, not completely. To feed is a strange verb, especially in our “profession.” It is almost used exclusively as a negative term—for vampires and the like. In humans, it transforms one thing into another. Generally, there is no endless supply. Even vampires can only drink so much before the victim is completely dry. If emotions can be treated as an energy that can be consumed—how does it work? How much of that energy do we have? What is the end result to the victim’s emotional state after an emotional vampire has fed?

Do you have any insights you would care to voice, GhostSpider?

Hannah—I won’t say I’m sorry your Valentine’s day dinner didn’t work out. It would be meaningless from a stranger such as me. I don’t have a significant other, so there would be no sincere commiseration on my part.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Hmm, an interesting question and one not easily answered. First though I'd like to correct a part of your question. Psychic vampires, at least not myself and the ones i am familiar with, do not feed on the emotion itself. We feed on the psychic energy generated by the emotion.

This is how it works for me: I seem to act like a psychic black hole(perhaps not the best analogy, but one I have found to quite apt for a simple explanation), and like a black hole, draw in the energy from all around me. At one time this ability was always on and i had little to no control of it. However, thanks to a powerful will and a crash course in meditative techniques with Shang Li, I have since learned how to control this black hole. I can now manipulate size, strength, and can select whomever i wish to feed upon. Furthermore, I can turn it off and on, which tends to keep unintentional feeding to a minimum.

As for ill effects, I must say that I have never attempted to test for them. When I feed I always try to from a large crowd, or group, so as not to cause undue strain upon anyone person. Theoretically, i suppose if I concentrated fully upon one target and feed at full strength for an extended period, I could cause serious harm. Not death, but something close enough as to be indistinguishable.

I hope this answers you questions.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Rowan, thank you for your sincerity.

Ghost, that's what made my father so nervous about you being near me or anyone else. That possibility that there may be a finite limit that you can take from a person. Some of the less pleasant fey were apparently able to completely drain their victims.

Hannah
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Yes there are Fey and other things that can drain some one to death or what might be worse. there are coma words with such victims you now the ones where the dr can find no reason for them to be in a coma
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about some research being done in this field.

Ah ha, I found it! A Professor Charlette Handler, in the 1960s, wanted to train spirits to provide positive emotions. Her background, ironically, was in mechanical engineering. She taught engineering at an ivy league school and held patents for a few new types of atomic reactors and other stocking stuffers. Her chemical battery design is the one still favored by psi-mechanics today. So in 1965, she publishes a paper about using empathic spirits in place of mood altering drugs for treatment of depression. Needless to say, she lost her job. After that, she simply vanished. No records mentioning her further exist.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

That's unfortunate. I hope she merely took on a low profile.
Professor Ali

Post by Professor Ali »

My friend, do not dwell on Professor Handler. I know some colleges at my new university who worked with her at the time and kept in touch with her afterward. She tried her experiment. It failed. It simply does not work.

More to the point, I have been asked to take a trip to Libya soon. Perhaps my valentine is waiting for me there. We can hope.
Current research project: I am translating the Gospel According to Lazarus.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Good luck with that, professor. :)
Rowan

New questions arose—will be saved for later

Post by Rowan »

It does—for the most part. Now, I have more questions that regard the energy that powers—enables?—our emotions. But I’ll save those for later.

Thanks.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Worst Valentines Day, Ever.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Nemesis wrote:Worst Valentines Day, Ever.

No argument from me Darcy.

Hannah
Grace

Post by Grace »

Maybe next year will be better for everyone.
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I really hope so.

Hannah
Grace

Post by Grace »

I guess that's up to you now, kiddo.
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Thanks for the opening, now I'm going to do what I do best,

run with it.

Hannah

PS: I hope to hear about your next valentines day being pretty awesome.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

As I said earlier in this thread, Valentines day is an arbitrary calender date. The only thing that makes it even remotely special is love and a desire for romance.

Love is not a one day a year sort of thing. Love is all the time. And for lovers, every spare moment should be filled with romance. Thoughts of their partner should be with them during every waking moment and possibly many of the sleeping moments as well. The romance is in every hug or kiss. It is in every whispered, "I love you." It is in every meal shared, every thought expressed and every look exchanged.

Between real lovers? Valentines day is just another day.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Well said Cyber well said.
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Clarity

Any day can special, but this Valentine’s day was!

Post by Clarity »

_____I thought it was one of the greatest days I have ever had this year. I got to go to Mr. Ron’s and see Hannah and meet Miss Got and help her sleep and stuff.
_____P.S. Hannah got me a new smartfun. It’s really neat! Wasn’t that kind of her?
_____P.S., again. It’s reasons like that that I want to be just like her when I grow up.
Last edited by Clarity on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

So that's what Mel meant by being 'Miss Got'...
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Thanks Clarity.

You're pretty awesome already.

Hannah
Razor

Post by Razor »

The psychic energy given off by emotions, is in part what powers a psychic's abilities to function. It is often when on the hunt, when emotions are on the rise that our powers begin to rise and peak. A lot of this is due to the subconscious responding, as most Psychics have not learned the difference between using their subconscious and using their emotions. If you can learn to use the real source, which is the mind beneath the mind, and learn that it's potential is far greater than most suspect, and how to truly develop it, emotion matters little.

It is, however, easier to generate the rise in psychic energy if using Emotions to fuel them and give them focus, intensity, color... power. This is what, I believe, most emotional or energy vampires feed off of. And many emotions have a specific type of energy, and thought/power behind them. Lust and temptation make you feel powerful in a way different from anger, or hate, or rage, but both can make you feel empowered.

I know that I have often experienced a sort of mental static, and being quite drained in mind, and sometimes body, after a pitched battle (some of which never involved a real physical component). I have felt my mind numbed, and buzzing for hours, usually with a headache, sometimes for days. Some of it is of course mental Backlash because I didn't finish certain techniques right, but the other part of it is a total burnout of psychic energy.

It is possible to use physical fuels sometimes to power psychic abilities, but its hard to even explain that one. I'm sure though, we've all experienced that drain after high emotions, good, or bad. Some of it is due to adrenaline, but adrenaline doesn't count for that "mind and soul" type of tired, or worn out.

So when psychics use up all their stores, and push beyond their normal limits, and they come down from all of that, and they experience headaches, fatigue, sometimes hemorrhages... there's at least some evidence to suggest that a creature that can drain more from you, against your will, could cause great harm, especially brain damage. But I think it could go deeper.

Being on the receiving end of something like this, I would imagine would inspire a very deep type of trauma... something that emotionally hurts, sure... but something on a spiritual level that seems to cut to the bone, something that makes you feel old, aged... weary and wary.

Maybe I'm rambling at this point, but I believe the threat could be very real. Even from someone or something that wanted to love you to death.
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Emotions make me tired too, Razor.
-Oscar Wilde.