A Man of Two Tales

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Cybermancer

A Man of Two Tales

Post by Cybermancer »

There are two stories here for your consideration.

The first is about the sound the hare heard.

In short, it is a story within a story. The Budha tells a tale of a hare who, upon hearing a fruit hit the ground beside him, assumes that the earth is coming to an end. Panicked, he flees without investigation.

Others see the panic, and upon hearing the reason of it, join in.

Panicked crowds are a danger, most of all to themselves.

The lion realized this and gets to the bottom of the situation. He investigates the situation and discovers the truth. Thus the situation is dissolved by deductive reasoning and critical thinking.

Contrast this to the fable of the boy who cried wolf.

The bored boy amuses himself by calling out, "Wolf! Wolf!" Then he laughs at the people who rush to help him. After repeating this routine several times, a wolf actually does come around to attack the boys sheep. This time when he calls out, no one comes to help.

The obvious moral of the story is that liars are not beleived, even when they tell the truth.

The less obvious moral is that, unlike the noise the hare heard, there was a real threat.

I believe that Victor Lazlo could relate to both of these tales. First, he attempted an honest study of the paranormal. For all his lamblasting of orthodox science, he was himself a scientist who sought to explore and understand the world around him.

When the supernatural becomes known and understood, it transitions to belonging to the natural world.

But the supernatural is an elusive subject of study. It comes to the light of knowledge, kicking and screaming and tearing at the ground. For every experiment that shows positive results, there are many more that are confounded.

Add charlatans into the mix and you have a ready atmosphere for a public who are tired of people calling, "Wolf!" or crying, "the ground is collapsing beneath us!" And unless they've seen it for themselves, who can truly blame them?

Do you hear that?

It's the wolf, laughing in the night.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Grace

Re: A Man of Two Tales

Post by Grace »

You know, you've been kind of a downer since you started posting again.

Do us all a favor and go get laid.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

I'm always up for a good bedtime story. But most of the bevies I meet are a bunch of Moes and Mollies. I figure, why give your position away? It's like yelling "SNEAK ATTACK!" right before... well, you know. Attacking. It's no longer a sneak attack, but an announcement of positioning.

Then the wolf attacks.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Well wolves don't really sneak attack. They prefer to get their prey running so they can wear it down, isolate it from the herd and hit it from multiple sides. So they tend to be noisy and very viable when they attack.

Big cats are the quiet ones because they hunt on their own and lack the ability to run prey down over long distance. So they want to get as close as possible and strike before the prey can escape.

Hannah

PS: I probably watch too many nature documentaries.
I will be who I chose to be.
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

Hannah wrote:Well wolves don't really sneak attack. They prefer to get their prey running so they can wear it down, isolate it from the herd and hit it from multiple sides. So they tend to be noisy and very viable when they attack.

Big cats are the quiet ones because they hunt on their own and lack the ability to run prey down over long distance. So they want to get as close as possible and strike before the prey can escape.

Hannah

PS: I probably watch too many nature documentaries.

Maybe. But if you can tell me how a fruit hunts, it'll all be worth it. 8)