Summer training

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Ronin

Re: Summer training

Post by Ronin »

Shang Li,

You may see it (but not touch) if you can come to a resteraunt in Tokyo, the address of which I will PM you if you are interested.

If you can make it, I can arrange to bring her out of the ring but I can not promise that she would converse with you, or if she does, she will be truthful or in any way helpful or respectful.

She is after all, a demon.
Honor is the conceit we allow ourselves to feel superior to others.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

A return to Edo...
I can do this, Edo is close enough to Fuhoyou that I can walk from my point of arrival.

The respect or lack thereof of the entity is not your responsibility, all I can hope is that it be willing to share secrets with me. Not secrets of magic, nor combat, but something of greater value - understanding of another point of view, as yet unseen.

Mr. Ronin, I do not have much of those things people seem to value to give in return. If you are familiar with Katsushika Hoksai's work, I can show you the path he walked to see his famous thirty six views of Fuji-no-Yama, at least what parts of the path still exist.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

No payment is required, Shang Li. But don't tell my wife I said that. She manages the finances, I having no skill at it.

Let me know when we can expect to recieve you.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

I should be in Edo this afternoon. I have questions about recent events and changes. I have donned a school uniform to blend in for now - where have all the monks gone? I should probably ask as well where to convert american dollars to proper Ryo, all I am carrying is a wad of those green paper charms from the states.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Hi everybody!

Like my brother said, my name is Daichan. :D I'm hijacking his account until I get one one my own. So you'll know who's posting, I'll use this pinkish color instead of that dark blue that can be hard to see.

Also like he mentioned, I'll be in North America for a little bit. I've got no ties that bind so how long I stay is how long I stay.

What he calls impertinance, I call being a free spirit. Like a kitsune, but with less tails. :P

So anyway, I've learned that my brother barely mentioned me here so I guess I'll say a few things about myself.

First of all, yes I'm Japanese, but please no, don't try to impress me with whatever phrases you know. The language of this forum is English so please lets all be polite and keep it in a language everyone can understand, okay? Thanks!

Now, you might expect that just because I'm a Japanese girl, that certain stereo types might be true. Well, let me assure you that I'm just an average girl, with average ability to kick butt.

And due to the gun laws of my homeland, I am certain I am not the most proficient firearms user here. Though I'm always willing to learn! :lol:

I should mention that shotguns are legal in Japan but mice aren't allowed to shoot them!

And just because the Chinese live just a little ways away does not mean I like to blow things up!

Hopefully I'll be able to help out here and there where I can. In between helping people out, I'll be hunting down Cessiel as Bokkai was my friend as well. When I catch that miserable little troll, he's going to get what's coming to him.

So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I may not answer but if I don't, I'll try to explain why.

Just whatever you do, don't troll me. :twisted:

Have a nice day everyone! 8)

P.S. Shang buddy, looks like you're a little behind the times. You should be able to get your money exchanged at the airport (I'm sure you're not there anymore), banks and many tourist traps. Good luck dude and say hi to my big brother when you see him! :D
Clarity

Hi, Miss Daichan.

Post by Clarity »

_____Hi, Miss Daichan. How are you? My name is Clarity. I’m not sure which of the women you are in your links, but they’re all very strong and scary and pretty. Hannah’s trying to teach me how to be a woman, but it’s very confusing. I have to remember so much.
_____P.S. Thank you for the nice day. You too!
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

They trap tourists in Edo now? In my day we let them look around and then leave, I shall have to be carefull.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

I dont know about in japan but the trust traps in most contrys will cheat you one the exchange rate. the bank is the best bet as they tend to have the most up to date exchange rate that can change many times every day. the Air port will only cheat the exchange rant a few times a day. so they may end up because of there policy cheating them selves or you..

and what is ment by a Trust trap Shang li is something that attracts a lot of them and usely gets them to spend there money on Chesy suviners. They tend to be things like smaller musimes, and historic sights
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

Oh. so not a trap and more like dishonest merchants and sly guides. Edo has been full of those for longer than even I have known her.

I have found some of my belongings fron last time I was in Nippon, but it appears real money is as foriegn to merchants here as anywhere else.
Ronin

Re: Hi, Miss Daichan.

Post by Ronin »

Clarity wrote:_____Hi, Miss Daichan. How are you? My name is Clarity. I’m not sure which of the women you are in your links, but they’re all very strong and scary and pretty. Hannah’s trying to teach me how to be a woman, but it’s very confusing. I have to remember so much.
_____P.S. Thank you for the nice day. You too!

Hi there Clarity!

I'm doing very well, thank you for asking. I'm not any of those girls but I'm like them all at the same time. I hope I'm not scary to you. I only try to be scary to bad people and things.

I always thought it weird that anyone thought that a woman needed to be taught to be one. You're born the way you are and then nature takes care of the rest. I think mostly people try to teach girls how to be a lady, but I ain't got no interest in being one of those.

Have a nice day!
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Sweet! I have my own account now. My bro can have his account back!
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Daichan,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the party. That was a rather impressive collection of tools you brought with you. You'll have to visit DC and see my collection sometime.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Ron!

Yeah, it was a pleasure meeting you and the rest as well. I would have stayed longer but Sparks really wanted to show me this bar she thought I'd like. And she was right. I loved it. And then we went out looking for trouble afterwards. My brother was right, it's very different hunting here than it is back home.

Thanks for the offer to show me your collection. I wish I could have brought the rest of mine but the costs for extra baggage were already quite high. While I'm here, I'd actually like to expand my collection and I hear you're the go to guy for that kind of thing. There are things that are available here you just can't get back home.

While I'm on the topic of tools, I don't suppose you know who Bert the Turtle's supplier of party favors was?

Anyway, I think I'll drop by tomorrow if that's okay with you.

Thanks!
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well I'll be happy to show you the showroom if you're shopping, and my private collection for fun. I have a very rare Type 100 Navy one of my great uncles brought back with him from the Pacific that you may enjoy seeing.

I don't know Bert's dealer, but I know many who can deal in such items, I have the necessary licenses myself. The catch is the paperwork of the receiver has to be in immaculate shape.

Delta Sierra
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Gah! You've discoved my one weakness, Ron Caliburn! Paper work! :cry:

I'll get my bro to take care of anything needed to make it all legal. :)

Funny you mention the Type 100 (was it a 40 or 44?). The .303 I have was something my grandfather brought back from the war. My bro and I learned marksmanship on it as teenagers. Never even seen a 100 though. Does it still work?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

It's a Type 100 Navy, which is the /40 but it can fold for Paratrooper usage.

I have maintained all the parts so everything should be functional, regrettably I have no 8mm Nambu to test it with.

Delta Sierra
Eilonwy Solstice

Sounded like a lot of fun

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Sounded like you had a lot of fun; sorry I missed it. Clarity kept me company, though.

Welcome, Daichan; the more voices, the better.

Shang, Ronin, please be careful. Ronin, does . . . Esmeralda ever mention anything about a quest or revenge for being trapped within the ring? It’s odd to me that the ring, and not she, is the catalyst for wish fulfillment. Was she wished into the ring? What are the ring’s limitations? In one of the versions of Aladdin that I read, the genie of the ring couldn’t bring a magic castle to Aladdin, but it could bring Aladdin to it, when he was trying to stop his uncle. The genie of the lamp, of course, had no such problems.

Of course, I wouldn’t mention such limitations, or the lack of them, over such an open board, but it was just a question to consider.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Miss Solstice,

Esmeralda speaks very little about the person who imprisoned her. She certainly seems as though she would like revenge but I would expect that the chance has long past as the wizard is doubtless dead by now. Nor has there been any mention thus far of any quests.

As to the oddity of the ring granting wishes, it would seem that it was a power the ring itself possessed prior to having Esmeralda bonded to it. Given the power involved, I question if it is more powerful because she resides within it or if this wizard was perhaps more than mortal. The mechanism of how she was bound is unknown or she won't discuss it for some reason.

The ring's abilities to grant wishes does have limitations. Or at least there are unexpected consequences attached, much as one might expect from the old tales. Though maybe not quite as dire. The jury is still out on that one.

Esmeralda herself can be commanded of course, but she consistantly twists any command given her to suite her amusement.

I am still interested in either destroying the ring or else free Esmeralda from it. I would settle for sealing both away as permanently as possible. I will not remand the ring into the possession into the hands of any other being unless I am certain that they can succeed in the above.
Eilonwy Solstice

I wish I could be of more help, Ronin;

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

I wish I could be of more help, Ronin; unfortunately, suggestions are all that I can do for you, right now.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Ken

Post by Ken »

A wish granting ring? Wow.

I know what I would wish for if it was real.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

With Ronin dead, I wonder what has become of Esmeralda and the wishing ring?
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Actually, it was claimed by someone who had an idea about freeing Esmeralda from the ring and destroying the ring while they were at it. I don't know much more than that, however as Ronin handled the details before he died.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Interesting that you say 'free from the ring' and not just free.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Personally I found your interest to be more interesting. Sorry to disappoint you. Only not really. :D
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I could almost swear that I sense hostility but it's not like I've ever done anything to you.

-Ray Bradbury
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Maybe it's because I've been around long enough to remember another time someone posted in black and offered to sell information.

I also recall my last message to them, as well.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Really? It's the font color that set you off? Well, your threat was made against anyone using your friend's account again, which isn't the case here. Nor, aside from font color is there any way to connect me to that individual. Or anyway for you to carry out your veiled threats against me, even if there was.

That's the great thing about the internet.

Here's another great thing about the internet and this site specifically. If you click on the bottom left corner of my post? The one that says profile? It will take you to a page that will show my name. Under it will be the options of 'add friend' and 'add foe'. If you don't like what I post or how I post it, I strongly recommend you click add foe.

If you can't be bothered to block posts that bother you and really have nothing to do with you anyway, then I don't see why anyone should care that you're upset about them.

-Ray Bradbury
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

You're right, that was easy.

Although it wasn't really the color per se. It can be seen easily by highlighting it, creating white text on a blue background. Or I could have gone into User Control Panel and then Board Preferences and clicked on 'Lightness' in the 'My Board Style' tab. Of course then anyone using white font would be hard to see, but there probably isn't any pleasing some people.

No, my beef with you is that I'm pretty sure you were the one who hijacked my dead friends account and if you are and have returned, then you'll be dealt with. Though perhaps not by me.