Summer training

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Ronin

Summer training

Post by Ronin »

Good day,

I have embarked on a training mission here in North America over the summer. I will be available to assist others as required and depending on my location. At the moment, I have just arrived in Vancouver.
Honor is the conceit we allow ourselves to feel superior to others.
Slayer

Re: Summer training

Post by Slayer »

That is certainly good to know Ronin, perhaps if you are in the U.S. you can give me a hand with my vampire problem.

Also how is your guest making out? I have been forced out of contact for awhile.
Let the Darkness fear, the Slayer still walks the night. And nothing shall be safe from my wrath.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

It is to be part of my training that I help others as required. Should I encounter any vampires, they shall perish. If you need assistance in helping the undead along to their final rest, I will of course oblige you.

As for the other matter, some things are not for public forums.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

You want to know what I hate about Vancouver? The rain. It rains far too often than is good for my mental health.

In any case, I have a problem that perhaps someone on this site can help me with.

I have come into possession of a mystic artefact.

Whatever names it may have had in the past, it is currently known as The Ring with Three Emeralds. It is also known as Esmeralda's Ring as she is the genie bound to it. The ring is supposed to grant wishes and of course Esmeralda must serve whoever owns the ring.

Given what the demon I fought was willing to do to possess the ring, there may be something to the stories.

In any case, I grow weary of Esmeralda's advances. She just won't accept that I'm a happily married man.

Plus I greatly fear what could occur should my lovely wife gain possession of this ring.
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

If you have access to a boat I'd suggest sailing a few hours out and dropping it in the ocean without charting the position where ya dropped it. But maybe that's just me.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Grace

Post by Grace »

This is indeed a very serious problem.

So I will waive my usual fees and take this ring off your hands. Just PM me with your contact details.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Cessiel

Post by Cessiel »

I have heard of this ring. Only powerful magic can seal it away from all who it would harm.

I will accept responsibility for ensuring that it is properly sealed.
I can help.
Although perhaps not in the way you would want or could imagine.
Technocrat

Post by Technocrat »

Hey Ronin,

I hope you're planning on keeping your promise and coming to visit me and the missus.

Just please don't bring that ring!

I have to agree with Doctor Boggs. Throw it out to sea.
Secrets for sale. Cheap.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Have you tried destroying the ring?
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

I'd be careful about that, you could let whatever's trapped in that ring loose.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

She's already out and won't leave me alone. That's part of the problem.

I've tried destroying the ring already. That doesn't work, nothing seems to harm it, including magic.

I've tried killing Esmeralda but she just keeps resurrecting 24 hours later due to her connection to the ring. I must say, she's been rather a good sport about being killed multiple times. Apparently she's used to it.

I've even tried dumping it in the ocean, burying it etc.

But then Esmeralda finds me the next day and hands the ring back to me.

And yes, I have tried killing her and then disposing of the ring. To no avail.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

What about giving her the ring?
I will be who I chose to be.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Hannah wrote:What about giving her the ring?

That is an interesting suggestion that I probably would not have thought of on my own.

Still, it needs to be investigated further.

Does anyone have any ideas or theories about what could happen? Would I be handing a malevalent demon whom I've killed several times already the power of three wishes? Would I be breaking it's curse and releasing it from the ring (and thereby make it vulnerable)?

And the question that causes me the most concern, will the creature feel grateful?

If there is one thing that is worse than an infernal that is attempting to be a hinderance, it is one that is attempting to be helpful.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

An indestructible ring? A demon that just won't die? I know how to handle this!

1.We need to form a fellowship, preferably with nine members, but we'll have to be careful of the name. Don't want any copyright infingement suites.

2.We need to find where it was forged. It can only be destroyed there. A volcano is preferable, if only for posterity, but some other location will do.

3.Finally, we need to be careful. Evil rings don't usually want to be destroyed and will try to seduce us with its dark power.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

GhostSpider wrote:An indestructible ring? A demon that just won't die? I know how to handle this!

1.We need to form a fellowship, preferably with nine members, but we'll have to be careful of the name. Don't want any copyright infingement suites.

2.We need to find where it was forged. It can only be destroyed there. A volcano is preferable, if only for posterity, but some other location will do.

3.Finally, we need to be careful. Evil rings don't usually want to be destroyed and will try to seduce us with its dark power.

This is not a humorous situation and you have not been helpful. Unless you have something positive to contribute, please do not spam the thread.

Thank you.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

It's kind of depressing. The Lazlo Society seems to have lost its sense of humor. Just trying to help ease the tension there chief.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
The Councilor

Post by The Councilor »

Just trying to help ease the tension there chief.

With pointless humor? How about you go back and play with your toys. Your lack of maturity is obvious.

Mr. Ronin, if you are still having trouble with this ring, may I offer the assistance of my group? We have experience in dealing with problems like this, and are more than willing to travel to your location.
Good and evil. Black and white. Only fools believe the world is that simple.
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

The Councilor wrote:

With pointless humor? How about you go back and play with your toys. Your lack of maturity is obvious.

A little humour might be misplaced or unappreciated by certain folks, but this behavior is disgraceful. Perhaps membership here isn't the perk I thought it was.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

The Councilor wrote:

Mr. Ronin, if you are still having trouble with this ring, may I offer the assistance of my group? We have experience in dealing with problems like this, and are more than willing to travel to your location.

First of all, it is just Ronin. Placing an honorific before a dis-honorific seems to be counter-intuitive to me.

Before we discuss any meeting, I would like to know what exactly your experience is.

Destroyed many indestructable rings?
Killed many unkillable demons?
Or do you have means to seal such away?
And if so, what are such means?

For that matter, who are you and your 'group'?

To be honest, I am quite leary of handing this artefact over to any person or persons. I am in fact leary of directly involving any other person or persons. This ring was born of jealousy and is tainted by evil.

My preference is for a solution that involves and indangers only myself.
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

Have ya tried wishing there was no ring? Or wishing the demon was just some woman who could go live her life? Or some-such thing?
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Doctor Boggs wrote:Have ya tried wishing there was no ring? Or wishing the demon was just some woman who could go live her life? Or some-such thing?

I have not tried any wishes as yet, Dr. Boggs. If they are indeed the key to solving this riddle, I don't want to blindly blunder about with them or waste them. I would like to avoid using them altogether, to be honest.

But the suggestion is appreciated. I will give it consideration along with the other serious suggestions.

I am hoping someone with more experience in these matters will be able to help me solve this riddle. Do you have any other ideas as to how a wish might be cleverly phrased to resolve the situation?

Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

Sadly no. From what you've told us this ring sounds unlike anything I've seen or learned about in my studies, so it's mighty hard to say for sure.

There certainly are other possibilities though. It might not be what it claims and some sort of protective ritual or counter curse might deal with it. Perhaps some sorta mystical container could hold it and/or leave it at a Sanctuary? It's even possible the ring doesn't exist and somebody put the whammy on you, who can say for sure?

I'm sure there's dozens of other possible explanations to, but you get the idea. Without a careful study of it, who can say? But if it is exactly what it claims you may want to ask it what the rules are then take whatever time ya need to deal with this thing.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
The Councilor

Post by The Councilor »

Do you have any other ideas as to how a wish might be cleverly phrased to resolve the situation?

You may think this wise, but I would ask you to please be careful should you take this course. As sound a plan as you may think it is, a cleverly worded wish is most dangerous. Djinn have centuries, perhaps millenia, of experience dealing with wishes. They know how to twist them to their advantage, and more than likely a cleverly worded wish will simply just annoy it.

Destroyed many indestructable rings?
Killed many unkillable demons?
Or do you have means to seal such away?
And if so, what are such means?

For that matter, who are you and your 'group'?

To answer your questions:
-Nothing is indestructible. More than likely, there simply needs to be a certain set of events, or a certain place or time, that are needed before the ring can be destroyed. My group has a vast library of mystic lore with which to research this ring, and its occupant.

-Same as above.

-Yes, we have a variety of means to seal such objects away.

-My preference would be for the ring to be sealed away in one of the several vaults we have scattered about. They are well warded and extremely secure.

-My group, as well as myself, prefer a certain level of anonymity. If it would make you feel more secure, we would be happy to meet you at a time and place of your choosing.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

The Councilor wrote: You may think this wise, ...

I'm really not sure where you got the idea that I thought this might be wise.

The Councilor wrote: To answer your questions:
-Nothing is indestructible. More than likely, there simply needs to be a certain set of events, or a certain place or time, that are needed before the ring can be destroyed. My group has a vast library of mystic lore with which to research this ring, and its occupant.

-Same as above.

Assumption for both points.

The Councilor wrote: -My group, as well as myself, prefer a certain level of anonymity. If it would make you feel more secure, we would be happy to meet you at a time and place of your choosing.

I have taken the time to review your 30 or so posts in this forum and have found no reason to trust you enough to meet you. Perhaps you are trustworthy, but I dare not take the risk.

A key, perhaps to gaining trust amongst others would be to remove the signature:

Councilor wrote:We will Find. We will Know. We will Control.

I have absolutely no interest in turning an artefact of power over to a person or persons who subscribe to such foolish notions as controlling the supernatural. Something you listed as one of your interests.

If you have suggestions as to how to proceed, I am all ears. But we will not be meeting and I will not be turning this ring or Esmeralda over to you.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

I suppose I should expand on the situation, as I understand it.

1. It is the ring, NOT the genie that grants the wishes.

2. Each owner of the ring may have three wishes, ever.

3. If an owner of the ring loses possession of the ring, they cannot make and remaining wishes until the ring is back in their possession. Conversely, possession can be interrupted any number of times between wishes.

This means that there may be former owners of the ring who are looking to reclaim the ring so that they may make their remaining wishes.

4. Whoever possesses the ring is the owner, whether they wish to be or not.

5. Apparently Esmeralda will take pains to return the ring to the possession of the last owner unless it is claimed by a new owner in the interim.

6. Esmeralda was bonded to the ring after its initial creation. Remember, the ring was originally to be a gift to her. This enchantment may not be as powerful as that which forged the ring.

7. Instead of returning to the netherworld when slain, Esmerelda returns to where the ring is, at full capacity and within 24 hours.

8. Esmeralda claims to have been a princess among her kind.

9. It has been suggested that this ring did not originate in this world. Esmerelda cannot be compelled to discuss the rings origin, but she can relate anything else she knows about the ring.

10. Esmeralda must obey the owner of the ring. She cannot be compelled to destroy herself but can be ordered into a compromising position that makes dispatching her easier. She can also be ordered to engage in a fight that will cause her (temporary) discorporation.

11. Esmeralda cannot harm the owner of the ring.

12. She has no such restriction regarding former owners of the ring.

To the best of my ability, I have tested or otherwise confirmed these 12 points. The existence of the magic and its purpose has been verified by outside agencies.
The Councilor

Post by The Councilor »

So be it. I leave you to your fate.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

My fate is as it has always been.

In my own hands, where it belongs.
danorviel

Post by danorviel »

Ronin, I have no suggestions for you regarding this ring or its inhabitant, unfortunately. I just wanted you to know I respect and admire your steadfast insistence in protecting others from this thing and keeping it from those who might use its power for less-than benevolent purposes. Good luck.
magic is the reality of dreams
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Greetings everyone,

I remain busy here at home and am enjoying time with my wife. The time I spent in North America was nice in its way and I met many new friends associated with this site. But it was also an agony to be away from my other half.

My twin sister has heard many of my stories and wishes to visit North America as well. She has no spouse to miss so her visit may last longer than mine did. I hope that she will be welcomed. While she may be... impertinent at times, I can assure you that she is competent at what she does and should be an asset to this community.

I believe she has registered under the name of "Daichan" and will be posting soon.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

Mr. Ronin, (I think we have advanced beyond the point of it being a dishonor to have no master)

Do you still have this ring, is the being still associated with it, and might I see the ring and partake in conversation with a being who's grasp of history may exceed even my own?
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.