The merchant of Baghdad

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Shang Li

The merchant of Baghdad

Post by Shang Li »

There was a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, “Master, just now when I was in the market-place I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw that it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me.” The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market-place and he saw Death standing in the crowd. He said, “Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?” “That was not a threatening gesture,” she said, “it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.”
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Professor Ali

Re: The merchant of Baghdad

Post by Professor Ali »

I love this story. My mother used to tell me this when she put me to bed at night.

Now that I think about it, she may have been criminally insane.
Current research project: I am translating the Gospel According to Lazarus.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

this is a fairly common story. form England we have a man that has a vision that he will die at Westminster Abby in London. So he gets on his horse, and rides up to Oxford. as he dismounts form his horse he is suppressed to see death there having just taking a woman whom died in child birth. Death turns and is surprised to see him there. and says "thank you for saving me the trip to London"
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Clarity

Why do people think “Death” is scary? And why . . .

Post by Clarity »

_____Hi, everybody. I had some questions about Death, and Hannah is out right now. Why are some people afraid of Death? Is she related to Ankou? Is she scary looking because some people can’t see her all the time? Why do some people think she’s a boy? When I see her, she’s always a nice lady in a pretty velvet dress with a cloud I can see through on her face. She asks how I am doing sometimes.
_____P.S. Maybe she has a husband or a boy for a friend? I’ll ask her when I see her next time.
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

Miss Clarity, most people are afraid ofthe unknown. Since they are not sure what will happen to them when they die, they are afraid to die. Since they are afraid to die, they fear death. The religious often do not, but those religious who know they are going to be punished normally do. As for death's gender, I believe death pull it's image from teh mind of the person it appears to, causing each to see what they expect.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Clarity

It depends on or back ground what we see when we see death in many ways. she is often seen as a raven by Celts, or as the Moragin The goddess of war and death Her totem is the raven. But many people see defrent things, There is also myths of the shadow lover, whom is death whom takes to form of some one the dying would find Attractive. Often taking the form of a dead loved one. The reason is to Comfort they dying and to ease the tradition between life and death. But people often see what the expect the Image of death form revelation is not uncommon. As in the 4th horsemen, the rider of a pail horse
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Clarity

She’s pretty, but sad too

Post by Clarity »

_____Oh. I guess that talks sense, Mr. Tms3. But why are some people still frightened of her, if they think she’s pretty?
_____P.S. She looks pretty, but very sad, too.
Last edited by Clarity on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

When I met Ankou the first time, there was no sense of gender or really anything else that I could ascertain. All there was for me was the shadowy hood. A badge of office I suppose.

Ankou didn't speak so much as the words came to me.

I wondered if the little boy saw what was under the hood. Perhaps it was a form of protection for those whose time is yet to come?

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Eilonwy Solstice

It would explain why everyone views “Death” so differently

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Hannah wrote:I wondered if the little boy saw what was under the hood. Perhaps it was a form of protection for those whose time is yet to come?

Hannah

That would be interesting. I wonder how that would work for people like me?

Clarity’s thought of there being more than one “Death” is fascinating, too. It would certainly explain all the different notions of “death” we have. If it’s male, female, intelligent, indiscriminate, merciful, terrible, and so on. Have you seen her again, Clarity? How often do you see her?
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I have a little bit of experience with death. I have seen that it does not wear one face or have one incarnation. Therefore I have deduced that it is a force of nature with many faces.

To paraphrase a song:

They say it's a river that circles the Earth
A beam of light shining to the edge of the universe
It conquers all, it changes everything
They say it's a blessing, they say it's a gift
They say it's a miracle and I believe that it is
It conquers all, but it's a mystery

Death breaks your heart
Death takes no less than everything
Death makes it hard
And it fades away so easily

In this world we created, in this place that we live
In the blink of an eye, babe, the darkness slips in
Death lights the world
unites the lovers for eternity...

Death breaks the chains
Death aches for every one of us
Death takes the tears and the pain
And then turns it into the beauty that remains

Look at this place, it was paradise
But now it's dying
I'll pray for death
I'll take my chances, that it's not too late

Death breaks your heart
Death takes no less than everything
Death makes it hard
And it fades away so easily
Oh Oh Oh, Death breaks the chain
Death aches for every one of us
Death take the tears and the pain
And it turns it into the beauty that remains
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Eilonwy Solstice

Cynthia, you’re right; sometimes it’s just a mystery

Cynthia, do you believe death is any more a “force” of nature than birthing a child is? I have experienced death as well; feeling it come and go with my senses, and causing it as Celeste. Those verses you wrote are fascinating; however, I’d add that sometimes, death can mend hearts. Sometimes, it opens new doors, for both those who have departed and those who remain.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Miss Solstice,

I do not attribute a value to the power of death. It is a force of nature as are many other things. And I can't take credit for the verse. It's from a song I heard once, I just replaced the word love with death and it made so much more sense.

-Cynthia
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Eilonwy Solstice

Trying to avoid another miscommunication

Perhaps I just don’t understand your concept of “forces of nature.” The general conclusion reached by many is that “forces of nature” are usually synonymous with “natural disasters.” Earthquakes, tornadoes, tidal waves, tempests, floods, and the like.

Are you referring instead to the idea of the “natural phenomena” Cynthia? Light, dark, gravity, sound, and other forces of that nature? That doesn’t seem right either, however, as those can be measured, quantified, and thus valued, as well.

When you say you do not attribute a value to the power of death, my understanding of that is, “Either one is dead, or isn’t.” Generally speaking, that’s the case anyway. Is that what you meant? What other things do you consider as “forces of nature”?
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Miss Solstice,

I am going to create a new thread so that we do not derail this one further, okay? :)
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Eilonwy Solstice

That’s probably a good idea, Cynthia

Cynthia wrote:Miss Solstice,

I am going to create a new thread so that we do not derail this one further, okay? :)

All right, Cynthia; my apologies if you thought I was trying to derail the thread. To Shang, too.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I wasn't trying to imply you were being rude, Miss Solstice and I apologize if that is the impression my statement made. I am merely trying very hard to mind my manners. :)
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Lt. joe

Post by Lt. joe »

We navajo actually see death as an old woman. Są́ , The One Who Brings Old Age. long ago when the Monster Slayer twins, the children of Asdzą́ą́ Nádleehé, 'Changing woman' in english, were hunting down the many monsters that plagued humanity, they sought out Są́. Changing woman had told them not to seek her out, but they did anyway. they found her as an old woman, wandering the mountains. they made to kill her, but she pointed out that killing her would be a bad thing. for if Są́ did not sap the strength of people over time, did not make them grow old and die, parents would not be able to make room for children to grow up, and to keep in harmony with the world, they would stop having children. Są́ you see, was part of the natural world and important to staying in harmony. so the Monster Slayer twins let her live, like they did Cold, Poverty, and Hunger.

of the dead themselves, we do not speak, for Chindi linger and can cause great trouble. better that they go their way unnoticed.

my friend Edward, Mr. E to you, called these personifications of death "psychopomps". apparently every culture has their own image.
Last edited by Lt. joe on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happily may I walk
Happily, with abundant dark clouds, may I walk
Happily, with abundant showers, may I walk
Happily, with abundant plants, may I walk
Happily, on a trail of pollen, may I walk
Happily may I walk
Being as it used to be long ago, may I walk
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Lt. Joe,

Welcome ot the forums. Seeing as you still speak of Mr. E I presume you believe he is still alive.

I sincerely hope that belief is rewarded.

Hannah
Lt. joe

Post by Lt. joe »

Hannah wrote:Lt. Joe,

Welcome ot the forums. Seeing as you still speak of Mr. E I presume you believe he is still alive.

Hannah

yes, i do think he is still alive. i'll beleive that until i see his dead body. even if that does break our taboos, attract a chindi, and thus need a cleansing way performed.

I think that Edward has just gotten into something over his head. i do wish he had confided in me before leaving however.
Happily may I walk
Happily, with abundant dark clouds, may I walk
Happily, with abundant showers, may I walk
Happily, with abundant plants, may I walk
Happily, on a trail of pollen, may I walk
Happily may I walk
Being as it used to be long ago, may I walk
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Lt. Joe,

I think if a lot of folks had confided in their friends lately we might have a lot less problems.

Hannah
Eilonwy Solstice

Sometimes we are too blind to see messages left . . .

Lt. joe wrote:
Hannah wrote:Lt. Joe,

Hannah

yes, i do think he is still alive. i'll beleive that until i see his dead body. even if that does break our taboos, attract a chindi, and thus need a cleansing way performed.

I think that Edward has just gotten into something over his head. i do wish he had confided in me before leaving however.

Couldn’t Mr. E have left clues to be found, though?

Return to “Philosophers Corner”