What Would Victor Lazlo Do?

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Cybermancer

Re: What Would Victor Lazlo Do?

Post by Cybermancer »

Mr. Caliburn, you may wish to skip over this post. It contains some graphic depictions written by Hannah of her time in the fey world.

Hannah, you shouldn't read this either. Though I doubt you'll listen to me.

The other Hannah wrote:My time in the Horned God’s Kingdom is somewhat hard to explain. First there are a few things you need to know about the place.

Most important, in the physical world time is what keeps events from running into each other. In the Kingdom, time is far more mutable. Time takes the form of places, for example, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter were places, not seasons. Time also takes the form of people. Cernunnos, the Horned God, has many aspects, each corresponding to a different season. Some of these aspects are so radically different from each other that when they meet they do battle with one another, each taking turns vanquishing and being vanquished, dying and being reborn, gaining strength and declining. So Cernunnos is both the Holly King and the Oak King. As such he is the personification of the Winter and the Summer, among other things.

So with that in mind, everything exists in the Horned God’s Kingdom simultaneously. Past, present and future. This also means that mutually exclusive possibilities can also co-exist.

So what organizes this Kingdom? Well nothing actually. However, thought and willpower can exercise a degree of control over all this chaos. This is important to understanding what happened to me.

Now the other major point to talk about is the inhabitants of this Kingdom. As all possibilities can exist at the same time, these beings are immortal as long as they stay within the Kingdom. However, if they go to the material Kingdom they begin to age (though usually at a retarded rate) and can eventually die or can even be killed.

This brings up a key element of their behaviour, their fascination with us. To them, we are insects. Our lifespan is so short that we are insignificant. Yet despite this short time we are all capable of great wonders. Even more, because we live for such a short time and our gone we are driven to leave our marks on history in a way that they aren’t. In this they envious, for our short, intense lives are so much meaningful than theirs.

Now, let me explain the effects of the invasion on the Kingdom. The invaders, with their black blades, disrupted this pattern. Any who fell before them were gone from the Kingdom, as if they never existed. For the first time, these immortals faced true, permanent death in their own Kingdom.

I suppose one can imagine the sudden sense of urgency that the Horned God and his kin developed in the wake of the invasion.

So, this is where I came in. Many of Cernunos’ aspects had perished fighting off the invaders. He needed more. Apparently, my father had cut some sort of deal with one of Cernunnos’ aspects when he was younger. This resulted in his children (i.e. me) having a small fraction of that aspect’s power within us. Cernnunos wanted to reconnect with that power and recreate that aspect through me.

Of course, him being an ancient fertility god and me being a young girl, I’m sure you can guess what his plan was to make this come about.

Our wedding occurred in the great hall of the last great castle that had not fallen to the invaders. All the people of the Kingdom were gathered to celebrate. Well, except one. Cernunnos’ queen looked decidedly unhappy to be sharing the king, but that apparently was resigned to the idea.

Despite my confusion, I found the event joyous. Everything was intoxicating, the music, the dancing, and the food . . . my skin still tingles when I remember the fine fabric of my dress caressing me.

That was about it for happy moments, for next came the consummation of the marriage. There were to be no showers of golden light, Cernunnos, the Great Horned God, lived up to every meaning of his name. He was the stag and the ram, the goat and the bull. He unleashed his primal lust and claimed my body as a residence for his seed. Time and time again he claimed me. There was no romance or tenderness. There was no care or concern. Compliance, while encouraged, was not required. He was a God and I was to be his.

You see, Cernunnos had made a miscalculation. I was too young, and didn’t understand what was going on. My body and my mind were not ready to accept what happened next. As many times as he raped me, he could still not impregnate me.

This was because I still thought of myself as a child, not a woman. Deprived of all connection to linear time, my body shaped itself to fit my own self-concept. That self-concept was too young to bear children.

How long this continued, it was impossible to say, but Cernnunos voyaged forth every day to battle the invaders. Every night he returned to my chamber in an attempt to create his new warrior prince.

During the days, I explored my new home. Not that I could call it home. Sure most of the inhabitants were nice to me, I was one of Cernunnos’ brides after all, but nobody really took any time to talk to me, to explain what was going on or even to show me around.

So it was quite a while before I found the library.

I won’t go into details about what I found there, mostly because I hate seeing Matt cry when he reads about it. Needless to say it was a lot of books, most of them written thousands of years ago, or thousands of years from now.

After I found the library the first time, I returned to it often. So often, I think it was possible that I read every book in there. Books of poetry, books of science, books of philosophy, and books of magic . . . I read all I could find.

I learned so much. Most of all, I learned how to control the fraction of Cernunnos’ power within me.

However, the more I learned, the more I grew.

As I grew, so did something inside of me. . .

My pregnancy was a double blessing as far as I was concerned. First, growing up where I did, I was a firm believer that bearing children was a woman’s sacred duty. Second, and more immediate, with my pregnancy in hand, Cernunnos’ attentions ceased.

However I was still confined to the castle, but that was mostly for safety. The invaders roamed the Kingdom essentially at will. So far, only the thick walls of the fortress had successfully kept them at bay.

Still, the library gave me plenty of distractions from my situation. I often read the books there aloud so that my developing child could learn with me.

I also gained a companion. A doting herdswoman was appointed to serve as my midwife. She had gone mad after the invader had slaughtered her beloved cows. She prattled on constantly about the pampered bovines and about young girls she had known.

At first I questioned why a woman more familiar with birthing calves than babies was charged with supervising the birth of a prince, but despite her obvious madness she had a way about her that reassured me that all would be fine.

When the big day came, I found an added benefit to my unusual companion. My child had several features in common with his father, most notably a set of hooves and a rack of antlers. Fortunately my attendant was able to conduct the birth so as to minimize the effects of such sharp objects on the more delicate parts of my anatomy.

Despite what would have been irregularities in a human baby, my son, named Fanus by his father, was one of the most beautiful children I have ever seen. Perhaps I am just being a typical mother, but there was radiance about him that I have never seen before or since.

So despite the circumstances, I was truly happy. My son, my books, even my attendant all contributed to a small piece of heaven in that dark, troubled place.

Of course, it was not to be.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Wait, so how long was I there? Months? Years?
I will be who I chose to be.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hannah wrote:Wait, so how long was I there? Months? Years?

Should have known you wouldn't heed my advice.

Time is relative. You, or rather this alternate potential Hannah was absent from the real world for less than 24 hours. Even she didn't know exactly how much time she spent on the other side, due to the unique nature of the place.

Based on physiological age, I would estimate that about two decades passed for Hannah while in the fey world. +/- 5 years. However, Fanus did not age past infancy while in Hannah's care. So there are inconsitancies. It could be that Hannah was merely as old as she felt.

Perhaps you'll gain a better feel for your other self in this next part of the narration.

the other Hannah wrote:Fanus was still an infant the day I noticed the crow perched on our window ledge. It was eyeing my son most intently.

“Mignola, please put Fanus to bed and make sure he gets to sleep.” I bid my assistant.

“But Sarah,” I don’t know why she called me that; I worked long and hard to break her of the habit, to no avail. “’e’s not due ta nap fer a while now. ‘E don’ seem e’an a wee bit tired t’all.”

She was right of course, Fanus was happily levitating a multi-coloured ball about the room, giggling each time he managed to change its direction. Still, that was not why I wanted him out of the room.

“Just do it, Mig.” I put as much steel into my voice as I could without hurting her feelings.

“Of course M’lady.” She scooped up my soon and took him to the next room.
I turned to the crow and gave as much of a curtsey as my leg would allow. Why they never fully healed me, I don’t understand. I think it has something to do with not completely understanding how a flesh and blood body works. That’s the same reason Cernunnos spent so much effort trying to impregnate a girl who hadn’t reached puberty yet. “Your Highness.” I intoned as gracefully as my nerves would allow.

The crow hopped from the windowsill and into the room. In a few moments its features had shifted. The black feathers had turned into equally dark hair. The hair wreathed the face of a woman, who while old, still carried unearthly grace and beauty. She was Badhbh, the crone goddess and a spirit of death. She was also Cernnunos’ wife and the queen of this castle.
She paused for a few breaths, before replying. “Rise Hannah, I know that your old injury makes that position uncomfortable.”

“My thanks, Your Highness.” I tried not to wince as I pushed myself back upright. “What brings you to my chamber this day?”

She wandered around the room before answering. “I came to discuss the upbringing of Prince Faunus.” She paused next to the stack of books on my desk, opening the top tome and perusing its contents for a few moments. “It’s time that we took him in hand and taught him properly.”

“I beg your pardon?” I’d expected this for a while, but I didn’t expect her to be so blatant about it. Then again, I suppose that’s what happens when you deal with warrior-queens. “As you no doubt witnessed he is happy, healthy and developing quite nicely.” I forced my fists to unball.

“Perhaps that would be good enough, for a mortal child.” The stress she placed on the word mortal made it sound like she was discussing common vermin. “However he is a Fey Prince and he must be brought up accordingly. It is his destiny.”

I sighed a little inside. “Look Badhbh, don’t treat me like some common little girl in a faerie tale. I know and understand what’s going on here. As you’ve noticed, I’ve been doing my homework.” I gestured at the books. “I know the way the tale goes. Ancient goddess confronts plucky heroine about destiny, plucky heroine struggles with it for a while but in the end finds herself ultimately fulfilling destiny’s purpose and things would have been much easier for her if she had just gone along with it in the first place.” I looked her right in the eyes, doing my best not to be distracted by the swirling vortexes therein. “But I also know a few other things Badhbh. I know that you, like most beings here, have different aspects. Or rather, you had. I know that your sisters have not been seen since the early stages of the invasion. I know that, as the eldest of the three, you represent death, rather than life. I know this is why you could not give the King a new child to pass his essence into. I know this is why I was brought here. I know this is why you want to take Prince Fanus. This isn’t about destiny; this is about your own bruised ego because you cannot serve the needs of your husband.”

I don’t think she had been spoken to in such a tone in centuries, if ever. But I wasn’t done. “Well I have another tale for you. It’s about the most dangerous animal in the world. It’s called a mother. A mother deer will attack a pack of wolves to protect its fawn. You may be a goddess, but you are alone. Also I am no deer, I am the daughter of James Grant, and he taught me well. He taught me that you don’t have to be able to win the fight; you just have to be tough enough to make it not worth the aggressor’s while. Well, you have threatened my fawn, my Fanus and I will not have it. If you make any move to take him from me, you will have a fight on your hands like you have not tasted since mankind still poked mammoths with sticks.” I took a breath. “So what’s it going to be Badhbh?”

The smirk on her face told me she’d already set the answer in motion. I turned to the door to my son’s room only to have it slam closed in my face. A shriek on the other side of the door confirmed my fears.

I ran to the door immediately and tried to push it open. It didn’t budge.
“Don’t bother; it’s held with a force that no mortal muscles can move.” Badhbh cawed.

But I wasn’t playing with mortal muscle.

With a wave of my hand, the stones around the door separated, letting the door fall to the floor in front of me.

I raced through the threshold to find Mig on the floor clutching at her abdomen. There was no sign of Faunus.

“Oh Mig.” I knelt beside her, cradling her head on my lap. “I didn’t think she would hurt you.”

“I wouldn’t let them take him.” Mig wheezed. “Your mother . . . “then she said no more.

I laid her head down and stepped back into the main chamber.

Badhbh started to say something smug, but I didn’t let her. I cut her off with a thunderous shockwave which blew her, and the wall behind her, out into the courtyard below.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I least I gave her a good shot for what she did to that poor woman.

Hannah
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hannah wrote:I least I gave her a good shot for what she did to that poor woman.

Hannah

You didn't exactly stop there.

the other Hannah wrote:I knew I had one chance to save my son. I had to keep Badhbh off balance long enough that she would doubt her victory. In that moment, I would have the chance to bargain.

I stepped out of the shattered window frame and let the wind ease my descent before stopping myself a few feet above the ground. My opponent was struggling to her feet.

“Surprised Badhbh?” Trash talk mid-fight isn’t my style, but this battle was about the crone’s state of mind, so in this case, the fight was secondary to the conversation. “Haven’t you ever wondered why Cernunnos chose me?”

I barely shielded myself from a spray of stone as she caused the earth below me to rupture. “Arrogant worm!!” She screeched, as only one who had inspired the legend of the Banshee could. “I am going to show you what pain means!”

We both lifted up into the storm forming over the castle, exchanging eldritch energies and elemental forces as we went. “He chose me because I had something that few mortals still possess.” I deflected a lightning bolt and countered with a barrage of hailstones. “Whatever deal he made with my father all those years ago put a fraction of his power within me.”

My hailstones scattered off of Badhbh’s protections and she arced a fireball the size of a barn towards me. I punched a hole in the middle of it with a blast of wind and let the rest pass around me. “This is his realm. Everything here responds to his thoughts, his whims . . .” I feinted with a string of lightning that was more flash and substance. She curled the lightning away from her, “MY whims.”

The flaming meteor pierced the storm clouds above us and struck Badhbh full force, driving her down into the castle’s gatehouse with the force comparable to a bunker buster. She punched through the roof, floors, walls and a came to a stop deep in the earth below. The gatehouse crumbled above her, filling in the crater.

Despite what I had done to her, she was a goddess. I knew she could hear me. “Badhbh. This is your last chance. Return my son to me and I will do no more to you.”

“You certainly will do no more.” It wasn’t Badhbh that answered.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hannah's narration of these events ends with this:

the other Hannah wrote:Cernunnos had returned from his daily battle with the enemy. “The invader is just a few miles from here. If they don’t know the gatehouse has been destroyed already, their scouts will find out soon. The castle cannot hold and must be evacuated.”

“Well then let’s go. As soon as I am reunited with my son I am ready to travel.” Well I was a little bruised and a little singed from my battle with Badhbh, but at that moment I could have ran a marathon with shoes filled with broken glass if that meant I got to carry him.

“No Hannah, you, like all mortals, are reckless and unpredictable. Through your rash actions you have brought about the down fall of our last sanctuary. “

“But she stole our son from me.” I gestured to where the rubble pile slowly shifted as Badhabh pulled herself out from where I had buried her. “I had to protect him!”

Cernnunos glowered at Badhbh, fire in his eyes. “You dare interfere with my son?”

Badhbh met his gaze. “A prince should have a royal upbringing.”

Cernnunos’ eyes flared and Badhbh shrank from his ire. “Don’t lie to me Badhbh, why did you take my son from his mother?”

Badhbh finally looked up, tears coming from her eyes, mingling with the blood dripping from the cut I’d delivered to her face. “Because he should have been our son! I am your wife and your queen. I have been the mother of your children in the past. I should be so again. Instead you decided I was not worthy of your seed. Instead you replaced me with a mortal. A MORTAL!!” With that the fury seemed to pour out of her and she sagged, sobbing uncontrollably.

Cernnunos reached out to her and tilted her head up. “She was never intended to replace you. Nor did she ever. I chose her because she could bear a child unlike we could produce together. A child resistant to the effects of our invader’s black weapons, a child who will turn into a warrior to lead the reclamation of our kingdom, a child who will return peace to our land so that we may again fill it with our children.”

Badhbh rushed into his arms and sobbed her thanks. In that moment she changed. No longer was she the crone, but instead she had become the maiden Anann. “Then I will give you many children for our new land,” she murmured into his chest.

Cernnunos rounded on me. “Do you not trust that I would know what is best for our son? “ The heat of his gaze was painful. “Had you waited for my return and told me what Badhbh had done, I would return our son to your care.”

“Then let me get Fanus and take him to safety.”

“No.”

Even with all I had learned of magic, I never expected a single mundane word to stop a person’s heart like that.

“Your actions today were reckless, violent and may have doomed my Kingdom to destruction. My son cannot be safe around you.“ Each word was like a strip of skin being peeled away. “Anann will raise our son. You are forever banished from my sight.”

With that, all the people of the castle, including my son, disappeared.

I dropped to my knees in the mud and rubble. Totally despondent, I paid no heed to the advancing footsteps.
Cybermancer

The Other Hannah Strikes Back

Post by Cybermancer »

As bad as things had gotten for Hannah, they weren't going to get any worse. How could they?

In the meantime, we had been looking for some indication that Hannah might be about. In a near infinite realm, with enemy shock troopers running around most of it, that can be tricky. Then we got the sign we'd been looking for.

We all saw what looked like a shooting star.

Do they have meteorites here?” Darcy asked.

“If you can imagine it, they have it here.” I replied. Still, it wasn't how I figured the invaders and the fey would be conducting their war. “We better go check it out.”

Seriously?” Slayer asked me, “you want to get closer to ground zero?

“I'm working up to that whole trip to hell thing,” I snarked as I started marching towards the still lingering trail of smoke that scarred the sky.

As you have no doubt figured out from Hannah's earlier narration, what we found was a somewhat haggard and crying woman of about thirty.

Darcy was the first to get to her as she often took point. “Are you alright Miss?

The woman didn't even look up. “No.

Could be a test.” Doctor Boggs supplied. “Look at her dress, she's obviously a fey woman. What's more, I can sense strong magic from her.

The dress was indeed beautiful, one of the finest the elves had ever woven. Somehow, they had made it look like molten silver that clung to her every curve. One could well be forgiven for thinking that this lady before us was otherworldly.

Right.” Darcy nodded to Doctor Boggs and then turned back to address the woman with her characteristic tact. “Have you seen a little girl come by here?”

There are no children here. Not anymore.” More tear drops fell into the woman's lap. “It's too late now.

Where'd they go?” Darcy asked, not without kindness. “We need to find a friend of ours.

The woman looked up angrily, a retort on the tip of her tongue. But then her eyes locked with Darcy's and her face softened. “You... you came back for me.” She started to look around as though fearful we were apparitions that would be blown away by the least spring breeze.

I knelt down beside her, “are you okay, Hannah?”

Darcy looked at me, then back to Hannah and then back to me again. “Hannah?

Tears flowed down Hannah's cheeks as she grabbed us both in a strong embrace. She was crying and laughing and saying something in a language that was foreign to me.

The two of us helped Hannah to her feet. She babbled a bit more in what seemed like yet another dialect. This one, at least I was sure had been spoken on Earth at some point in its history. Her smile faded as she met the shamefaced looks of the others.

And then she saw Maddie.

Maddie was scared. She was trembling and I could feel the pressure from her attempts to escape this reality.

Hannah stood up, straight and proud, no longer in need of support from Darcy and I. Then she spoke in a language I knew to be of the nether realms though I didn't know the meanings of the words at the time. Hannah and Doctor Boggs would later translate for me.

You.” Hannah's tone was regal, commanding even. “You are incredibly brave or...” Hannah's gaze surveyed Maddies trembling form, “...or unbelievably stupid to face me here, of all places.” At this point, Hannah's eyes narrowed. “Here I can see you plainly for what you are. So why have you not flown from my sight?

Maddie's eyes looked to me, as though pleading for mercy. “I can't.

Hannah looked between the two of us and seemed confused by what she saw. Whatever mystery it was she found there, she decided to ignore it for now. “So you can't run?” Hannah's eyes flashed and her lips curled into a grimace. “Good. I bind you. With the name I found in a book yet to be written, I bind you, Maddie.

For those of you who are wondering, that is not in fact her true name, translated into English.

Oh, and that book? “You Started It, Fools!” by The Powers of Hell.

P.S. Anyone who reposts the information deleted from this post may as well have shot Matt in the head themselves.

So go ahead Ron and Darcy. I know you wanna...
Last edited by Cybermancer on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

That's my daughter all right.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

"How's it feel?" Hannah demanded of Maddie, "to have your freedom stripped away from you?" Hannah stalked around the apprehensive and yet strangely passive Maddie.

Hannah paused in front of her newly bound servant, "I know your kind. I know what happens when one like you is captured and brought low by the demons of Hades." I can only describe Hannah's smile at this point as mean. Even after all that had happened to her, she still could have kindness for others. Not so this creature before her now. "It would be justice, wouldn't it? To face the same degradations I endured?"

"I was just trying to help," Maddie's eyes went to Doctor Boggs and me in turn.

"Hate to play deevil's advocate here," Doctor Boggs interjected with a voice that was weary, "but the fact is that Maddie has been a steadfast ally to the cause. Of her own accord, I might add. And when it comes right down to it, there ain't one of us here is truly innocent. What she did, misguided though it may have been, was what she thought best at the time."

"Why do you think she's alive at all?" Hannah demanded. "But I'm the one she wronged and it is to me that she will repay and in full measure."

"A society-and by society I mean any group or collection of people-a society shall always be judged by how it treats the least of its members." I gestured to Maddie, "if you had killed her, then it would have been just and we would have moved on. But you did not. You chose instead to punish her. Fair enough. She has it coming. Remember this though. The enemy is without compassion and mercy. The day we lose our capacity for those things is the day we become the enemy. At that time it no longer matters who we're fighting or why." I looked over at Darcy, "something I myself recently had pointed out to me, in a round about way. The choice is simple. Become the enemy or become better than them."

She listened to every word, emotions warring across her face as she did so. She turned to glare at Maddie, "lucky for you, he's right. But keep in mind that I understand your kind and their tricks. So serve me faithfully and with no trickery and I may even release you after an appropriate penance. If you displease me, I shall scour the planes for the most disgusting and lustful creature I can find, then I shall ask it to direct me to one even more disgusting and lustful than it. I then shall bind you to that creature and walk away, smiling."

It was Maddie's turn to have emotions war across her normally pretty continence. But there was only ever one possible way for her to respond and she was nothing if not pragmatic, "I shall serve you well, mistress."

With that business settled, Hannah told us her tale.

"I want my son back." She sighed heavily, "but that doesn't seem very likely now."

Darcy hugged her, "don't give up. We found you, we can find him."

"I don't know." Hannah responded hesitantly.

"We gain nothing by talking about it." I stood up and gathered up my stuff. "Besides, I think the enemy is drawing near. Time to get going." I paused. "Speaking of time, where are we?"

"Spring." Hannah answered.

"Ah, thought so." I sniffed the air, enjoying the fragrant aroma one more time. "Then instruct your servant to take us to summer."

And just like that, the sun beat its heat above our heads. Before us lay the war camp of the fey.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I like the smart and driven parts of me . . . but I'm not sure I ever want to get that mean.

Hannah
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

We are all human, Hannah, with strengths that can impress the gods and weaknesses that can cause the devil to pause. All any of us can do is try our best and maybe improve ourselves when we can. But if this tale inspires you to remain a nice person, then it will have been well worth the effort indeed.

As for the other Hannah, she had a question she wanted answered.

"How'd you know?" Hannah asked me.

"The fey are fighting a war. Wars are always fought in the summer. You can't do it in the winter, no one can move. In the spring, the farmers must sow their seed and in the fall, they must bring in the harvest. Thus summer is the time for war." I scratched my nose and felt compelled to add, "at least in medieval agricultural societies."

Further conversation was forestalled when a faerie knight astride a white charger approached us. He looked down at us from his mount, "intruders! You will surrender yourselves to me." His glance moved to Hannah, "and you should not have returned."

"You, sir, will not address any member of my company." I said sternly.

His attention immediately snapped back to me, "You dare..."

I interrupted him, "we are an envoy from the human world. We seek an audience with the fey court in order to form an alliance against our common invader. You will take us there."

The charger pranced uneasily as silence settled between us. Quite clearly, he was not used to being spoken to in such a manner by a mere mortal. Like a cat finding a mouse turning to fight it, he did not immediately know what to do.

"Has the hospitality of the Fey degraded such that they no longer know their manners, sir?" I demanded of the knight. "Or do you think that your king is so forgiving that you will not be punished for keeping a diplomatic envoy waiting?"

If there was one thing that this knight was sure of, it was that his king was not forgiving. He turned his mount about, "follow me." The first test had been passed.

We arrived outside a massive pavilion. "Wait here, you will be announced."

Our wait was not long. An auburn haired female faun soon showed us in. It seemed weird to me to see such a creature adorned for battle.

There were many attendants present. The only ones I cared about were the king and queen, seated upon a raised dais at the end of the red carpet we were on. I took the lead in our procession.

As we approached, the Horned One spoke, "you were banished from my sight."

Behind me, I could hear Hannah's step miss a beat but I kept on walking until I was about four meters away from the dais. There I knelt and waved my hand behind me, indicating that the others should do likewise, "your majesty, I speak for this company."

His gaze moved from Hannah to me. "You did not the last time we met." He raised his chin to indicate Maddie, "you allowed that one to negotiate for you."

I stood up and hesitantly, so did my companions. "She was in my service at the time, true. But she did not parley my intent nor words well in that negotiation. Had she done so, I would have had safe passage and half your kingdom in exchange for a kind word." I raised my chin and looked at him down the line of my nose.

Not an insect dared breathe in that moment. The only sound was possibly Doctor Boggs' jaw dropping to the ground.

The Horned one laughed. "Would you have the half that the enemy now occupies?"

"Only if it is the better half." I replied, finally allowing myself an arrogant smile. The second test had been passed.

If you want respect before a Gaelic warrior king, be a bold and boastful warrior poet. Carry yourself as his equal, even if you are not. Especially if you are not.

It helps if you both have a sense of humour.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

We weren't quite done the pleasantries yet.

"I would have your name stranger, as we expected no envoy from the world of mortals. Not today, indeed, not ever." He glanced sideways at his wife who said nothing.

"Like you, your majesty, I do not have a single name or an identity that stands alone. In the land you call the world of mortals I am called Victor Lazlo and I lead the resistance against the invaders that threaten us both. I have also been called Cybermancer and Daedalus. But the title I held first was Doctor and the name I have known longest is Matthew, son of Knight." If you cannot dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit.

"This name, Matthew is known to me." The horned one leaned forward and loomed over me. "It means 'gift of god'. In mortal lands where once we felt a strong connection, it was once Maitu (he pronounced it MATT-chew), which means bear." His face leaned close to mine and he sniffed before leaning back. His gaze was upward, as though considering. "Perhaps you are, at that."

His wife leaned in close to her husband's ear but it did little to muffle her words, "husband, must we suffer this abomination?"

"I know she stinks, my love, but she is properly shackled." He replied. I could only intuit that he was referring to Maddie.

"Not that creature," her long and delicate seeming finger extended until it pointed at me. "Him! How can a man live before he is born? In the world of mortals, such things are said to be impossible."

"Many things thought impossible have occurred there as well as here since the invaders came." The king replied to his queen. "Is this so different?"

She held up a silvery thread that I was surprised to see led to my forehead. "But look at this. It has no end nor a beginning I can find. How should I weave it into the tapestry without ruining it? Whenever I try, it unravels the other threads around it. It does not fit and should not be."

The king frowned at me, "how do you answer this?"

"I would see the tapestry first." I replied.

The queen looked at her husband who nodded. Then she sighed and turned to a loom beside her. It had been there all along but none of us had perceived it until that moment. "Come here then."

I stood beside her and examined the tapestry as she tried to weave. It was a complicated representation of reality. The tapestry as completed was the past. The thread being currently added with the shuttle was the present and those yet to be added were the future.

A talented weaver, the queen could predict the pattern as she went. But my thread hung unused. Then she would try to add it, it would begin to unravel the other threads. Both the pattern already woven was disrupted and the threads yet to join were frayed. She could only weave a tapestry that held together if she did not use my thread. But then there would be gaps in the pattern that she couldn't account for. If she tried to rework the tapestry to include my thread in those gaps, the whole thing was undone.

"You frustrate me." She said in an unkind tone. "Nowhere do you fit but it does not work without you. What sort of man has no destiny?"

"One who makes his own." I replied.

"It is not possible. All that is, has been and all that has been, will be. Destiny is not a matter of choice. It is a matter of pattern."

I leaned down and began to whisper in her ear. I spoke of places and of math.

Her eyes began to widen. "We shall need a new tapestry."

"No, we shall need the old tapestry and this one must be discarded." I gestured to the one on the loom.

"To start again, it has never been done." She looked down at her life's work, now uncertain.

"It has. By the enemy. That tapestry before you is the abomination. It is what should never have been. It is the corruption of the enemy that has caused it to be. The form it takes is by IT's will."

"Husband, we should hear what this one has to say." Then she began unravelling the tapestry with urgency. The third test had been passed.

I returned to my place at the base of the dais and then the king spoke. "Why have you come here, Maitu?"

"I propose an alliance against a common enemy." I replied.

"The time for alliance came and went when our lands were first invaded by the enemy. There is no aid we can provide you, and none you can spare for us. Either we will each prevail on our own, or fall. But it shall not be together." His tone was solemn and final.

I had not come this far to take no for an answer.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

The first offer had been rejected, so it was time to get down to brass tacks. "If you will not agree to an alliance, then at least return Hannah's son to her."

"Impossible!" He bellowed. "He is our only hope of victory against the invaders. Half my kingdom I might consider giving up but never its last hope."

"I have seen your queen's tapestry, your majesty." I left the haughty arrogance out of my voice, instead affecting an understanding and even consolatory tone. "There is no hope to be had with his thread. Tie it instead to mine. Perhaps together we may yet unravel the enemies plan."

He glanced at his wife who shrugged and looked uncertain. Then he turned back to me, "he will not wish to leave the fight."

My heart sank. We were already too late to reunite Hannah with her infant son. The only hope now remained in uniting her with her grown son. "He will continue to fight, just on another front."

The king considered.

After what seemed like an eternity (it may well have been), he made his reply. "You may plead your case to him. A prince who is to be king must be able to make decisions for himself."

"Fair enough," I agreed.

There was a murmur from behind us. Turning, we saw the young prince walk into the pavilion. He held his head up proudly, his crown of antlers denoting his royal bearing. His cloven hooves beat the ground as he strutted down the carpet. He had obviously just come from battle. "You summoned me, father? The battle is not yet won."

"Come forward my son," The king beckoned. "You have an important decision to make. One that will affect the conduct and even outcome of the war."

The prince nodded once and started forward but paused as he passed near Hannah. "Mother?"

"You remember me!" Unrestrained, she flung her arms around him.

"Of course." He said as he awkwardly put an arm around her. He seemed about to say something more. What that could have been, I'll never know.

"Madelynn," Hannah yelled. "Now!"

Just like that, we were once more in the wood by the giant oak.

"The hell?" I demanded.

"I'm sorry, Matthew, I truly am." Hannah explained, "but I couldn't risk him saying no!"

"What is the meaning of this, mother?" The young prince stepped back from his mother, "I can't stay here with you. There is a war to fight and father needs me there. Take me back there this instant. I command it!"

Hannah screamed when I shot him.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Sorry to interrupt the story so far, I just got back into the world. I have a question that I hope you can provide an answer to Cyber. It seems that in this alternate time line/reality I was one of your lieutenants, but how did that happen? And where is the rest of my family in all of this? We have been fighting the supernatural for generations and while only one bears the mantle of the Slayer all of us are trained to fight. If things had gotten this bad my family and our resources would have been among the first to join the resistance, and would have gone a long way both financially and meta physically in helping to drive these things back through whatever breach in the veil they came through.
Let the Darkness fear, the Slayer still walks the night. And nothing shall be safe from my wrath.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Slayer wrote:Sorry to interrupt the story so far, I just got back into the world. I have a question that I hope you can provide an answer to Cyber. It seems that in this alternate time line/reality I was one of your lieutenants, but how did that happen? And where is the rest of my family in all of this? We have been fighting the supernatural for generations and while only one bears the mantle of the Slayer all of us are trained to fight. If things had gotten this bad my family and our resources would have been among the first to join the resistance, and would have gone a long way both financially and meta physically in helping to drive these things back through whatever breach in the veil they came through.

:lol:

You've got no idea, son.

First in, first to die.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Let the Darkness fear, the Slayer still walks the night. And nothing shall be safe from my wrath.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Slayer wrote:What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Guess you'll have to wait to find out till I get to it. That's what happens when you interrupt the narrative with questions and comments that don't pertain to the section I'm on.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I wait with baited breath oh snarky narrator.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

If you'd read the thread, you'd have seen the consequences of telling the narration out of turn. So you'll excuse me if I don't use kid gloves on some impatient punk who butts into the middle of portion of the narrative, not to comment or ask about something that might have something to do with what is currently going on during that part of the narrative but rather to demand answers about their disposition in the overall story.

I will tell you this, your family for all you think of it's limited resources were leaves before a tornado. To talk about your family turning back this tide is a joke.

Did you miss the part where the fey realm was losing it's war against the invaders despite the invaders fighting on two fronts? That aspects of gods were being slain?

How about early on where it's mentioned that entire magic circles were being slaughtered even before the invasion?

Your family had made a name for itself fighting the supernatural around the world prior to Nemesis day. Those of you who weren't killed as a precursor to the invasion, were wiped out on Nemesis day.

You survived, only because of luck and intervention of Brutal and eventually, Darcy's dad.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

That's all very valid Cyber, I will wait for the rest of the story. Sorry for the interruption.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Temper, temper, boys.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Interruptions and rants aside, this part of the tale is almost done. It should have been attached to the last post but the information got corrupted at some point. I have my suspicions as to who may be responsible, but that's not relevant beyond how it contributed to my mood yesterday.

So where was I?

Ah yes, I had just shot Hannah's son with my stun gun.

Normally I would check the capacitor after using my blaster to see how many charges I still had left. This time I knew as I had expended the entire load. "Don't worry Hannah, he's just stunned. He may be a demi-god but he's got to obey our laws in this world. Brutal, pick him up. Everybody get moving, the horned god is going to be coming for his son and he won't be happy when he gets here. There will be no parley next time we meet."

I was pretty pissed but right then was not the time for emotion. We were in deep, serious trouble and had to get out of there right away.

Some things I noted were different from when we had departed this location. For one, sunlight was shining through the tree canopy. For another, there were no sounds of battle. And the smell of cordite and burnt flesh had long since faded.

Quick reconnaissance showed that the field had been quit, most likely after an overwhelming victory by the government forces. It was unlikely that we'd be detected now but still we were cautious.

We left the area, heading north until we could find a place to hole up until nightfall. Fortunately we didn't have along to wait.

During the wait, I had several problems to consider.

The first was getting back with the resistance and letting them know we were okay. We had already managed to determine that less than 12 hours had passed here in the real world by using our cell phones. About the same amount of time that had passed for me while in the other world as my watch still accurately told the current time. The watches of the others varied by either less or more time than had actually passed.

Then there was the problem of Hannah. In the world of the fey, she was a powerful sorceress, bolstered by the power of the Horned King. Back here in the real world she was still a formidable mage. Which would make her a prime target to our enemies. That, we could manage. We'd gotten along quite well with Maddie and Doctor Boggs, after all.

I was more concerned about how she would fit in. She had been raised in an isolated compound and then finished growing up in a faerie tale world. Culture shock was going to be a huge problem for her. From where I was sitting on an old log, I could see Hannah and Darcy talking. Hannah seemed to be trying to teach Darcy how to speak Gaelic.

It was then that I remembered about my wish for a new big sister figure for Darcy. I wondered how much that had to do with Hannah's age when we finally caught up to her. Had the world tried to align itself to my subconscious desires?

Then I looked over at her son. If Hannah was going to be problematic, he was going to be a bloody nightmare. Ever since he had woken up, he had been demanding to be returned to the fey world. He'd gotten violent about it at one point but Brutal had introduced him to the wonders of a cattle prod. It didn't stop the young mans protests, but did ensure they remained vocal only.

He looked odd, to be sure. But no odder than a were-beast in their hybrid form. I wondered if maybe he'd be able to transform into a more normal looking human form. Otherwise, we'd have to keep him out of the public eye.

Both were powerful assets to the resistance. An experienced and knowledgeable spell lober? We never had enough of those. And a demi-god? Umm, yes please. Yeah, I was pretty sure I could sell their inclusion in the resistance to the council.

Of course we had created permanent enemies of the fey. Well, they'd had their chance at an alliance, hadn't they?

Despite these troubles, I had cause for hope. I had examined that tapestry with great interest. There were hidden patterns in the weaves that could be made out. They told stories if you could read them well enough. One story in particular had seemed out of place. Maybe because it had been formed off to the side from one of the queen's attempts to weave in my thread.

It was about a young girl who had bribed death to take her to the land of the fey. She was pursued there by her father and a collection of other heroes. They never did more than catch a glimpse of her before she was home again. It was there that they were all reunited once more. It was a story of hope.

In the land of the fey, all possibilities exist until matters are decided here in this world. That other possibility still existed in the other world. So things had not yet truly been settled here.

I let my gaze stray over to Hannah. She noticed and bequeathed me a rare smile that made her eyes sparkle.

There was hope still.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Where I grew up, we were always taught that the most important duty of a woman is to be a mother. Looks like the other me believed that too.

Matt, thank you for sending me the flash drive the other me gave you. The password was definitely something only I would know. There's a lot of stuff in here. Some of it might prove very useful to me.

Hannah

PS: She told me that she was going to talk to you about something important when she dropped off the drive. I won't say what, but I hope the discussion went very well for both of you.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hannah wrote:Where I grew up, we were always taught that the most important duty of a woman is to be a mother. Looks like the other me believed that too.

She was a good mother. I think you would have been proud.

Hannah wrote:Matt, thank you for sending me the flash drive the other me gave you. The password was definitely something only I would know. There's a lot of stuff in here. Some of it might prove very useful to me.

Now I will be up all night trying to guess what that password may have been. Nevertheless, I am glad that the information it contains will be of use to you.

Hannah wrote:PS: She told me that she was going to talk to you about something important when she dropped off the drive. I won't say what, but I hope the discussion went very well for both of you.

It went well.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Fact or fiction, this has been an intriguing tale. There would seem to be truths hidden within, even if the story is fabrication. The devil woman comes to mind as an example.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

As it would seem that we have arrived at a natural break point, I would like to take the oppurtunity to ask some questions.

This story has focused on North America thus far. What of the rest of the world? I am especially interested in knowing what happened in Japan. Was Tokyo Tower blown up, as is often the case in modern fables?

What of these invaders? What can you tell us of them? Do they pose a threat to us? If they do, what can we do to prepare? How can we recognize them when we encounter them?
Honor is the conceit we allow ourselves to feel superior to others.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Yes, I suppose now is a good time to answer some questions. I need a small break from retelling this story. It has been emotionally exhausting relating it all. Last night was especially hard on me.

First I will come to the point of this first segment and why I just finished relating what is effectively the half way point of the story, so close to the beginning.

This Hannah did not become pregnant until she viewed herself as a woman. She matured vicariously by reading tome after tome.

The Hannah you all know has evaded marriage with her fey suitor by being 'too young' or not ready yet. But with all her recent experiences, can that still be truly said? I think that Hannah now views herself as an adult. So I am concerned about what could occur if she returns to the fey world or encounters Robin again.

In fact, I would not be surprised to learn that it may have been arranged between Robin and Khavik to manipulate events so that Hannah had to grow up.

So I guess what I'm saying is, be careful.

Now on to Ronin's questions.

There was a fairly successful resistance movement in Japan and in China. Eventually, Tokyo Tower was destroyed. It was blamed on terrorist activities. I will tell more later, when I have more time. In fact your friend, Technocrat was active in the resistance.

As to the invaders...

They operate first and foremost through minions. One such minion I have already mentioned in this thread and by far the most common that we encountered was the doppleganger. They appear to be human in nearly every way, right down to their DNA. It took quite a bit of study to eventually come up with a test that would reliably identify them. They posed a constant threat of infiltration.

Things to watch for:

While they will appear physically identical to the human they replace, and share all their abilities and flaws, the dopple gangers may appear to be slightly more resistant to damage, less likely to bruise and so forth. The difference will be very slight unless the original was prone to bruising or other telling injuries in the first place.

They may be slightly less or slightly more skilled then the original. Either making mistakes the original would not, or not making mistakes the original characteristically made.

While by some process they apparently gain the originals memories upon creation, they immediately begin to diverge from that point so that a duplicate may not remember or know something that the original has learned recently. Resistance cells were encouraged to change their coded challenges daily for this reason.

Impersonators of psychics or mages may or may not have those extraordinary abilities. If they have them, there may be a chance that they'll be more powerful than the original.

After being 'awoken' or created, these beings are initially subserviant to their masters. HOWEVER, they are human in every way that matters, including freewill. They can (and occasionally were) be turned or redeemed.

The means that these dopplegangers come to exist was a mystery to us. One theory was that they were fey, forced into human form by some alchemical or arcane means. Another suggestion was that they were somehow a naturally occuring creature from some parrallel dimension, brought to our world and exploited by their masters. One master of the arcane I spoke with was convinced that they were individually created by way of incantation. I shudder to think how much power would be required to create the numbers of these things we found (and don't forget the ones that were always unknown to us).

I think that will be it at this junction. I'll post more about individual minion types as I go. It will take too long and create too large a post to try and do it all at once.

Are these invaders a threat to you?

Yes. They were defeated and the original timeline restored but they still exist. They are out there. They may be waiting. They may be watching. They may be acting.

How do you prepare?

Take note of what I relate in this thread. This story told in my voice and in the voices of others will show what we did. Perhaps you'll be able to learn both from our triumphs and our failures.

How can you recognize them?

Can you tell one shadow from another?

If they come again, there may not be anyway to know it before it is too late. They may be here already. I know I have been scouring these boards for evidence that others may have encountered them.

All I can say is, stay alert.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

and people complain that I'm paranoid.

Delta Sierra
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Cybermancer wrote:It went well.

:)

Also thanks for providing some of the answers, but I don't really see what the test was. We have a few very subtle differences and possibly a short term memory loss. Aside from asking everyone a new password daily, was there anything else?

Hannah
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

The test requires lab equipment and some medical training. Not something I can reliably relate on these boards.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Not very convenient.

Delta Sierra

Return to “War Stories”