A Message for Nemesis

A place to seek help, or to offer services, dealing with the paranormal.
RAVEN

A Message for Nemesis

Post by RAVEN »

This is Raven Davenport. I've been asked by an investor to offer you a job. Yeah, I know I should have handled this through a fax or at least a private message, but I don't have any other contact information for you. I am hoping that even if you don't check your private messages as often, someone else might see this thread and pass along the message.

The job is in Dubai. Apparently, there is some sort of trouble involving some Shadow People who are disrupting construction of a housing development there. You were specifically requested for this contract.

Well, I am oversimplifying. It isn't really a housing development. It's an artificial island one which one of the ritziest neighborhoods and swankiest vacation resorts is being built. This disruption must be costing the client a ghastly amount of money, because the contract is for a ghastly amount also. The offer is for 300,000,000 dirham. Travel expenses will also be covered, and you have the ability to build your own team.

Here is the catch -- you would have to leave immediately. The client is on a very tight schedule. If you leave by tomorrow, the client will go with his next choice.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
skeptic

Re: A Message for Nemesis

Post by skeptic »

Impeccable timing.
It will be interesting to see what the mercenary decides....right or wrong.
Question everything.
Grace

Post by Grace »

This has to be a joke.

300 million diram, that's what, 81 million USD?

Just no way.

This is a joke, right? Right?
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Okay...

So I've just recieved confirmation from other channels that this offer is legitimate...
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I never had a doubt about legitimacy.

The only doubt I have is whether or not you're going to take the job.
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Eilonwy Solstice

It might be “legitimate,” but . . .

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

It might be “legitimate,” but is it safe? And like Sebastian says . . . the timing is pretty interesting. Could it also be payoff to get you somewhere else?
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Grace

Post by Grace »

@Koyla: For 81 million USD?

I booked my flight to Dubai before I even had confirmation just on the off chance this was legit.

This kind of oppurtunity is just too golden to pass up.

Just no way.

@Eilonwy: Nothing I do is safe. Looking for Mr. Caliburn has been the furthest thing from safe. I'm not getting paid for it and it's actually starting to cost me a fortune.

Besides, I think you overrate my importance to this investigation. The psychics have been making all the real progress. And if Not Ron is involved, there's absolutely nothing I could hope to accomplish. At least as things stand now.

Mr. Caliburn is a big boy. He's been fighting, killing and surviving against these things before I took my first job.

I got the ball rolling, I don't think there's much I can do now anyway.

It'll all turn out okay.

I'm sure it will.
-Oscar Wilde.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I'm not psychic and I've fought fights like you're facing, including several times with Not Ron.

You know what I think, that you're just making excuses to cut and run. You're either too scared or too greedy (or both).

Still, your help may not always be tangible, but Hannah is counting on it nevertheless.

I don't need $81 million, I don't get a chubby thinking about. I make enough to pay the bills and have the things I want.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Kolya wrote:You know what I think, that you're just making excuses to cut and run. You're either too scared
You're not going to get me with silly insults. If you think I'm a coward, then you haven't been paying attention.
Kolya wrote:or too greedy (or both).

81 MILLION USD! Do you have any idea what I could do with that?

-I could finally track down the guys who killed my dad.
-I could retire.
-I could bankroll the Lazlo Agency.
-I could still have enough left over to buy a private island and populate with pretty things to serve me hand and foot.

81 Mother fucking million!

Kolya wrote: Still, your help may not always be tangible, but Hannah is counting on it nevertheless.

That's just dirty pool, Koyla.
-Oscar Wilde.
Eilonwy Solstice

You must do what you think is right.

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Perhaps I should have said, “couldn’t it be a trap?”

But . . . on a related note, what has been your regular fee again, Nemesis? It sounds like from your response this offer’s a lot more than you’re used to being paid. You’re certain you’ll get it if the job is followed through?

And . . . in the end, you must do what you think is right, of course.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Nemesis wrote:
Kolya wrote:You know what I think, that you're just making excuses to cut and run. You're either too scared
You're not going to get me with silly insults. If you think I'm a coward, then you haven't been paying attention.

It's not my style to insult. I'm just calling it like I see it. It's nothing personal.

Nemesis wrote:-I could finally track down the guys who killed my dad.

Maybe. But it might be cheaper to use the resources around you which are available and willing to help, if you ask.

Nemesis wrote:
Kolya wrote: Still, your help may not always be tangible, but Hannah is counting on it nevertheless.

That's just dirty pool, Koyla.

I'm just reminding you of what you yourself said. Nothing dirty about that, in my opinion.
Grace

Re: You must do what you think is right.

Post by Grace »

Eilonwy Solstice wrote: Perhaps I should have said, “couldn’t it be a trap?”

Yes, it could be. Every job could be a trap.

Eilonwy Solstice wrote:But . . . on a related note, what has been your regular fee again, Nemesis? It sounds like from your response this offer’s a lot more than you’re used to being paid. You’re certain you’ll get it if the job is followed through?

All my contracts require a down payment of about 50%. This is negoitiable and in this case I could take 10%, not get paid the rest and still walk away like the cat that ate the canary.

Eilonwy Solstice wrote:And . . . in the end, you must do what you think is right, of course.

I don't know what's right.

Koyla wrote:Maybe. But it might be cheaper to use the resources around you which are available and willing to help, if you ask.

That would require a resource I lack. Trust.

Koyla wrote:I'm just reminding you of what you yourself said. Nothing dirty about that, in my opinion.

How is that not dirty pool?

Come on guys. 81 Million. I want it so badly...

I could put down my guns.

I could buy absolution.

The only thing I couldn't do is buy back my dads life.

But I think he would be glad I could finally put this life behind me.

I'm sure Hannah's not really depending on me. I mean all she really asked was for someone to check on her mom.

And then to find her dad.

And help him once he was found.

Christ. This isn't nearly as fun as it should be.

I should start packing.
-Oscar Wilde.
Kolya

Re: You must do what you think is right.

Post by Kolya »

Nemesis wrote:That would require a resource I lack. Trust.

The last time I heard this, the person wasn't necessarily lying to me. She was lying to herself. If you're so sure, so be it.

Nemesis wrote:
Koyla wrote:I'm just reminding you of what you yourself said. Nothing dirty about that, in my opinion.

How is that not dirty pool?

Honesty isn't dirty, I guess.

Nemesis wrote:Come on guys. 81 Million. I want it so badly...

Excuses, excuses.

I've got work to do. I've said my piece, for now anyway.
Cessiel

Post by Cessiel »

Perhaps Nemesis,

It is simply time to stop whoring yourself out to the highest bidder and be your own person. Chose your own destiny.

Nemesis wrote:It's not fair and it ain't nice and there's nothing any of us can do about that. When she's ready, Hannah will take control of her own destiny. It might not make things better for her but at least she'll be the one calling the shots. And that can matter.

It seems you recognize that Hannah needs to grab control of her own destiny.

So why are you afraid to grab ahold of yours?

As long as you're being paid, you'll never be the one calling the shots.

And that can matter.
I can help.
Although perhaps not in the way you would want or could imagine.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Cessiel, I never properly welcomed you to the boards.

Let me be the first to wish you a hearty, "Fuck you".
-Oscar Wilde.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Nemesis wrote:Cessiel, I never properly welcomed you to the boards.

Let me be the first to wish you a hearty, "Fuck you".

Stroke of genius that comeback. :wink:

Although I think my response wrote itself.
Grace

Post by Grace »

If you people will excuse me,

I have an appointment to keep.
-Oscar Wilde.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Have a safe trip, Nemesis. You can thank me when you get back.

For Cessiel, I am very sorry for the crude language of Nemenarcisis. Clearly, he has a lot of his mind. I do welcome you.

Furthermore, if you need a shoulder on which cry due to this ill treatment, mine is available. If you have a sister, I have two shoulders.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Cessiel

Post by Cessiel »

You should know RAVEN, that I am a male.

And my siblings are legion.
I can help.
Although perhaps not in the way you would want or could imagine.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

So you DO have sisters, then? :mrgreen:

Grace

Post by Grace »

RAVEN,

While I did begin a journey last night, I did not leave the DC area.

So I thank you for passing along this job oppurtunity, I will not be accepting it.

Please pass along my very deep, regrets to the interested party. Thank them for their interest in my services but I must complete the mission I have already taken before I can begin new employment.

So again, as much as it pains me to say this, I shall not be going to Dubai.
-Oscar Wilde.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

now kolya ken take it 'stead. ged damn commie. hehe. ewww weee imma inna good mood, gettin back to werk and what-n.
Grace

Post by Grace »

On the contract and why I didn't take it.

So the money was accurate down to the last dirham. But the contract was for ten years. Still, damn good money. I would have been semi-legitimate/sanctioned and probably most of my enemies would have been pacified in various ways. In ten years, I could have retired and been free and clear to boot.

But for the next ten years I would have been someone else's man. No freedom to take (or not take) my missions. I would recieve orders and I would obey them.

That's no kind of life, being someone elses attack dog.

A little snooping around revealed why I was selected.

Remember those werewolves I cut down several nights ago? I wasn't able to dispose of the bodies. Because some other agency got to it first. I don't know who but apparently they were connected to this employer and passed along the pertinent information.

There's irony in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.
-Oscar Wilde.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

Such elaborate make-believe is not necessary.
Question everything.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Why do I get the feeling you're more inclined to believe the werewolves than the rest of it?
-Oscar Wilde.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

Because you understand that you're obscuring the truth with the absurd.
Smoke and mirrors.
But I see through it all.
It's ok though. We all do it at one or another.
Question everything.
Grace

Post by Grace »

You're making it very difficult to maintain my aire of 'International Man of Mystery', Sebastian.
-Oscar Wilde.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

It's kinda my bag.
Question everything.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Well, I've spoken with the investor. I don't know who finally took the job, but someone was hired. The investor seems to be pleased with his new crew, so there are no hard feelings.

Grace

Post by Grace »

RAVEN wrote:Well, I've spoken with the investor. I don't know who finally took the job, but someone was hired. The investor seems to be pleased with his new crew, so there are no hard feelings.

Excuse me while I climb into a texas micky and cry myself to sleep.
-Oscar Wilde.