Half of Americans believe in Angels

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
skeptic

Re: Half of Americans believe in Angels

Post by skeptic »

Holister wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Nemesis wrote:If there's angels and a heaven, then theres demons and a hell as well.

Not necessarily so.

Seriously Skeppy, just come up here on the 30th of this month and stick around. If I can not prove to you once and for all this shit exists, I will buy you a steak dinner and denounce the Lazlo Annex.

Please don't call me that.

Demons and hell simply don't follow from angels and heaven.
I'll emphasise that Nemesis said if there is....

And if I had a penny for every time I went somewhere for conclusive proof of the paranormal only to be disappointed, I really wouldn't have to work as hard as I do. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
Question everything.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Well, at you least you got no worries from me, Sebastian.

I have no desire to prove to you that I exist, much less that anything I say might be true. :)
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Thats the problem with you skeptics and debunkers, you focus much if you could rather that if you should.
The day will come when the truth comes up and bites you in the ass.With folks like you it usually does, but hey, to each there own.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

Yea, it's just not that prevalent if you pay attention to the real world and the real people living in it.
If it this were all real, most of us know about it.
Question everything.
Cessiel

Post by Cessiel »

Most of us do.
I can help.
Although perhaps not in the way you would want or could imagine.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Careful Holister, that last message could have been perceived as a threat. Are you and allogorical Skeptic going to fight? I am not trying to talk you out of it. I just want to sell tickets first.

By the way, does anyone here know how to summon an angel? That would make for an inetresting interview.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Cessiel

Post by Cessiel »

RAVEN wrote:By the way, does anyone here know how to summon an angel? That would make for an inetresting interview.

What would you like to ask?
I can help.
Holister

Post by Holister »

RAVEN wrote:Careful Holister, that last message could have been perceived as a threat. Are you and allogorical Skeptic going to fight? I am not trying to talk you out of it. I just want to sell tickets first.

Take it how you see it Raven. Guys like that piss me off something fierce because they lack the balls to do what the rest of us do around here do and when we offer a chance to prove them wrong they'ld rather mark us as crazy rather than nut up and face the truth.

RAVEN wrote:By the way, does anyone here know how to summon an angel? That would make for an inetresting interview.

Its best not to triffle with powers beyond our control my friend; angels can be just as bad as demons.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Eilonwy Solstice

I have heard it said . . .

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Nemesis wrote:People beleive in what they can expereince. If these angels ain't out there to be experienced, there ain't going to be no beleif and no faith.

Why do we need this Lazlo Society to hunt down and route out evil in the world if there's a choir of angels that could do it?

If I may . . . I’ve heard it said that God (and by extension, angels) will rarely do for us what we can do for ourselves. As for angels, perhaps we’re “looking” too high or off the mark. Maybe there are angels, but their job is not what we think it is?
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Nice response Wie; heard you dropped off the face of the earth. Glad ya' didn't. Try stayin' in touch next time, most of us worry when you up and vanish like that.
Grace

Re: I have heard it said . . .

Post by Grace »

Eilonwy Solstice wrote:If I may . . . I’ve heard it said that God (and by extension, angels) will rarely do for us what we can do for ourselves. As for angels, perhaps we’re “looking” too high or off the mark. Maybe there are angels, but their job is not what we think it is?

Then what exactly is their job, then?
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Messengers?
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Grace

Post by Grace »

So what's the message?

You're on your own?

42?

Good luck?

Good bye and thanks for all the fish?

The British are coming?
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I don't understand what you're getting at.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Natasha wrote:I don't understand what you're getting at.

That was sort of the point I was making. If they're messengers, why don't we know the message? It just doesn't make sense.

One has to start to question if there even is a message. And if there is no message, what need of the messenger?
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

The message, whatever it is, is usually intended for specific individuals, seems.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Do you suppose that means that god plays favorites?

Or that angels do?

Again, I am reminded of the book title, "My Guardian Angel Hates me."
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I suppose that it could be interpretted so, but that doesn't mean that's the correct explanation for the games the gods play.
Grace

Post by Grace »

As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.

-William Shakespeare
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Death is one from the several messages the gods have sent to mortals, yes.
Grace

Post by Grace »

I guess that would make me the messenger then, wouldn't it?

Gee Natasha. No one has ever called me an angel before! :oops:
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

You're not an angel. You're mercenary.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Natasha wrote:You're not an angel. You're mercenary.

How do you know angels don't get paid?
-Oscar Wilde.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

And if I said god isn't your employer you'd question whether I knew that or not?
Grace

Post by Grace »

Natasha wrote:And if I said god isn't your employer you'd question whether I knew that or not?

Who knows, maybe he's started sub-contracting out work. Out sourcing is all the rage, right?
-Oscar Wilde.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

There are angels, and that Shakespear gentelmen have it wrong - the Kami love us greatly in their ways.

Have you considered that spiritual being with a favorable disposition toward men would respect our decision to ignore the so called supernatural?
That the goodly beings do walk this earth, hiding their true natures from those they walk amongst every day, does not seem far fetched to me - for do not mere men with the will to defend the light do the same?

I can say that Judeo christian angels, and alas their demons, hold the same status in my eyes as the lesser kami, and assorted oni of my homeland.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Shang Li wrote:There are angels, and that Shakespear gentelmen have it wrong - the Kami love us greatly in their ways.

I will agree with you in so far as Shakespear had it wrong.

For while I have seen much death, never have I seen a god doing the dirty work.
-Oscar Wilde.
Cessiel

Post by Cessiel »

Nemesis wrote:
Natasha wrote:And if I said god isn't your employer you'd question whether I knew that or not?

Who knows, maybe he's started sub-contracting out work. Out sourcing is all the rage, right?

An interesting line of thought.

Do you remember Nemesis, how you came to be on these boards in the first place?

I will remind you of the most pertinent part.

Nemesis wrote:And finally, because I was offered a bonus to do so. Apparently the message I sent with the completion of my last job wasn’t enough. The client wanted to make sure it got the widest dispersal possible. When I asked, “Why here?” He told me, “Because not everyone who visits the Lazlo Society is an active poster or a member. Many are quietly watching. Many are minions. I want them to watch this.”

Apparently some of the powers that be do subcontract out their messaging services.

Nevertheless, you are no angel.
I can help.
Technocrat

Post by Technocrat »

I've never seen an angel, but I believe.
Secrets for sale. Cheap.
Eilonwy Solstice

Well, first we may have to learn how to listen . . .

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Nemesis wrote:
Natasha wrote:I don't understand what you're getting at.

That was sort of the point I was making. If they're messengers, why don't we know the message? It just doesn't make sense.

One has to start to question if there even is a message. And if there is no message, what need of the messenger?

Well, first we may have to learn how to listen, before we try interpreting the message. Don’t put the cart before the horse, don’t chew meat before you’ve learned how to drink milk, and all that.

Ben—I’ll try, but I have other duties beyond Lazlo, as well.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.