The difficulty of communication

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Shang Li

The difficulty of communication

Post by Shang Li »

Provided he makes and wins an argument about Buddhism with those who live there, any wondering monk can remain in a Zen temple. If he is defeated, he has to move on.

In a temple in the northern part of Japan two brother monks were dwelling together. The elder one was learned, but the younger one was stupid and had but one eye.

A wandering monk came and asked for lodging, properly challenging them to a debate about the sublime teachings. The elder brother, tired that day from much studying, told the younger one to take his place. "Go and request the dialogue in silence," he cautioned.

So the young monk and the stranger went to the shrine and sat down.

Shortly afterwards the traveler rose and went in to the elder brother and said: "Your young brother is a wonderful fellow. He defeated me."

"Relate the dialogue to me," said the elder one.

"Well," explained the traveler, "first I held up one finger, representing Buddha, the enlightened one. So he held up two fingers, signifying Buddha and his teaching. I held up three fingers, representing Buddha, his teaching, and his followers, living the harmonious life. Then he shook his clenched fist in my face, indicating that all three come from one realization. Thus he won and so I have no right to remain here." With this, the traveler left.

"Where is that fellow?" asked the younger one, running in to his elder brother.

"I understand you won the debate."

"Won nothing. I'm going to beat him up."

"Tell me the subject of the debate," asked the elder one.

"Why, the minute he saw me he held up one finger, insulting me by insinuating that I have only one eye. Since he was a stranger I thought I would be polite to him, so I held up two fingers, congratulating him that he has two eyes. Then the impolite wretch held up three fingers, suggesting that between us we only have three eyes. So I got mad and started to punch him, but he ran out and that ended it!"

Not every kind word will be kindly recieved; neither is every insult recieved given as such.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Eilonwy Solstice

Thank you for your illustration . . .

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Thank you for illustrating what I have tried so hard to remind everyone of, Li-san. Miscommunication is easily rendered upon these boards.
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Cybermancer

Re: The difficulty of communication

Post by Cybermancer »

[Robyn]

There is much to be said for clarity.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

As in Li-sensei's humorous example, we are restricted to text. We fail to grasp many nuances the writer intended. We are left only with what is written, and we will add or remove nuances unintentionally. Thus, problems occur.

As one who had such problems a short time ago, I need to remind myself of this fact from time to time...
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
Clarity

Pardon? I don’t understand . . .

Post by Clarity »

Cybermancer wrote:[Robyn]

_____Yes?
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hi Shang,

Sounds like what happens when most of you try to talk to my dad about Werewolves and Vampires. I'm sure he and Kelly would get along fine . . . once they got past the trying to kill each other stage.

Hannah

PS: Clarity, you are so awesome.
I will be who I chose to be.
Razor

Post by Razor »

Why do I suddenly have the urge to bite someone?
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hi Razor,

I don't know. Are you hungry?

Hannah

PS: Dad doesn't let me invite people over, otherwise I'd say if you're in the neighbourhood stop by and I'll make you something.
Last edited by Hannah on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be who I chose to be.
Clarity

Are you turning into a vampire or a werewolf, Razor?

Post by Clarity »

Razor wrote:Why do I suddenly have the urge to bite someone?

_____Oh, no! Are you turning into a vampire or a werewolf, Razor?
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Maybe, just maybe, he was making a joke.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Razor

Post by Razor »

I dunno, maybe its a surge of primal aggression. Happens every once in a while. Usually coincides with wanting to break stuff. After a little bit it goes away.
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

You should learn to bring that under control.
For starters it could cut down on the unnecessary death threats.
There's plenty more benefit that comes from being in control of oneself, of course.
Question everything.
concrete_Angel

Post by concrete_Angel »

Or just say you want to punch someone. It fit the story better. :lol:
You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings
You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Everything that you feel
Is everything that I feel
So when we dream
We shout....
Razor

Post by Razor »

Actually, truth be known, I think it's a throwback from my early early days. When I first really got started in the business I cut my teeth on vampires, specifically tracking them using sight, and of course psi. Getting into their heads and all. Might have left a few residual imprints from time to time.

And Skeptic, I'm actually too good at self control. Makes it really hard to have fun when you want. I went through six years of personal hell and it took everything I had not to wipe an entire section of Texas off the map, which I had the potential to do.

I'm always aware of what I am doing, and why. My emotions may be fuel, but they don't give the orders.
Robyn

A Joke?

Post by Robyn »

Clarity Grace wrote:
Cybermancer wrote:[Robyn]

_____Yes?

Ms. Grace, I was not directly referring to you, otherwise I would have capitalized the word 'clarity' making it a name (Clarity). I take names very serioiusly. I would no sooner disrespect yours by leaving out the capital letter than I would want my own name disrespected.

Nevertheless, I am sure there is much to be said for you, Ms. Grace. Although perhaps it is for you to say and not others? Certainly I have found you to be one of the more fascinating posters on this board and would be interested hearing much more about you.
Clarity

Sorry, Miss Robyn, I thought you were talking to me back the

Post by Clarity »

_____Sorry, Miss Robyn, I thought you were talking to me. Now I know better. I’m not sure what I could say for myself that couldn’t be said better by others, though. I’m just a girl. Everyone else has powers and people wanting to talk to them, and people taking them places, and death talking to them too, and things like that.
_____P.S. I don’t why anyone would think I’m “fascinating,” either. But if you want to talk to me, I’d be happy to listen.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Ms. Grace,

Perhaps we could take turns, talking and listening? It seems more interesting that way.

Return to “Philosophers Corner”