Why do you all do this to yourselves?

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
NicksMind

Post by NicksMind »

The world is far from perfect and never will be perfect but you should face the fact that there are no demons. were there demons people would know about them it would be a wide spread epidemic, everyone would be holed up in there bomb shelters waiting for armagedon.
Nick's Mind
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Why must it be wide-spread?
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Hey Nick, how come scientists are still discovering new speicies? The way you talk it would seem that science has allready learned all there is to know.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Hey Nick, how come scientists are still discovering new speicies? The way you talk it would seem that science has allready learned all there is to know.
And several hundred years ago, too.
Lucas Priest

Blinding me with science

Post by Lucas Priest »

What I don't understand is this...obsession that science has explained everything absolutely. Theories are revised every day. We hear about things like "cold fusion" and think, how wonderful that will be for society. It was not long ago that science told us that most ailments could be cured with bleeding, and leeches. Our knowledge reaches farther now, but it takes a singular induvidual, like Newton, Copernicus, or an Einstien to move our knowledge FORWARD. These people challenge what we know as truth, not to create a mythology, but to know why things are the way they are. I have not been witness to a supernatural event per se, But I have dissected a monkey-like creature previously not known to current biology. The native aborigonals had a mythology of these creatures taking children and animals, are they wrong because these tales warned them to take caution at nightfall. Does a severe allergic reation to silver make it any less so because it is spoke of at campfires and not at a university podium? Knowledge of things in the past ARE stories. and unproven stories have the element of mythology, yet are disproved constantly. There is no coclusive evidence of psychic abilites of any major categories, but do we also absolve ourselves of flashes of intuition, or the FACT that a major portion of the human brain is unused? I belive, as others do, that Victor Lazlo may be the man that strived to push our knowledge forward, and I now travel that path of truth. I do not strive to belive, I strive to know, and to see the truth. I will continue on, and I encourage even you, Debunker, and others like you to continue in that pursuit, not to berate others in search of truth but to help them in their journeys.
The science of any sufficiently advanced society would appear as magic to those less developed...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The belief system/religion that is science has limits - which it will probably eventually overcome. Until these limits are overcome and older knowledge base is the best we have to go on.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I bet science can never answer why It happened the way it did.
Lucas Priest

Post by Lucas Priest »

In some cases, it can. Stories and legends are a much older way of informing a society of things, like laws and ways to do things. The study of anthropology and even archaeology are dedicated to these things. A story of a temple in the jungle can lead us to it, and through those stories and studying the culture we can understand why they built it and why it was lost/destroyed, etc. By looking for the kernel of fact in these legends we can figure the "why" out. But true science never stops looking for the "why", only the ignorant, or those who are truly blind to what stares us in the face.
The science of any sufficiently advanced society would appear as magic to those less developed...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Science will understand, eventually. That's what it does.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I was not talking about why temples were built. I was talking about why we are here. How, perhaps science can explain. But I do not believe that the motivation of the "creator"--whether an entity or chance or whatever it is--will be uncovered.
Lucas Priest

Post by Lucas Priest »

Well, there is that whole "evolution" thing. The "hand of God" element is usually put across by the sheer randomness that life developed at all, much less into intelligent beings like ourselves. I believe Carl Sagan said that it was the "height of absurdity" to belive that we are alone out here. I think some kind of higher influence may have caused the spark that became us over time, but the source has yet to be defined. Call it Chaos theory, or Religion, we will get there in time. My thought process in using the temple example is that we spend way to much time trying to re-define things, when sometimes the answer lies in the stories and legends our forefathers told. We should also be taking a closer look at the past as well as analyzing the present.
Contact_21

Post by Contact_21 »

Science. People who make discoveries and then go on to make new things. The last 100 years saw the development of the airplane and the atom bomb. It also saw the development of sulfa drugs and penicillen. Science can help, cure and destroy.

Evolution? All this got here by accident? How do birds build nests? How do bees build hives? Where did that knowledge come from? Birds with different beak sizes? What were they eating before they got new beaks? A lot of questions that no one dares ask because evolution is finished science, not to be questioned. All I'm asking for here is an honest "We don't know." from the scientific community. That's all.

Contact_21
Debunker
Location: My Paranromal team is based in the U.K., but we travel world wide

Post by Debunker »

Contact_21 wrote:A lot of questions that no one dares ask because evolution is finished science, not to be questioned. All I'm asking for here is an honest "We don't know." from the scientific community. That's all.
Contact_21

Science has no problems saying they dont know all the fact, they never have. But just because it cant be explained today DOES NOT mean it wont one day. On the other hand, just because you cant explain something rationally does not mean you gotta jump on the "new age" magical theory bandwagon either.
Elliott James Tobias III
AKA: Debunker

"The truth is indeed out there...science has been pointing it out for centuries."
The Traveler King

Post by The Traveler King »

Debunker wrote:Science has no problems saying they dont know all the fact, they never have. But just because it cant be explained today DOES NOT mean it wont one day. On the other hand, just because you cant explain something rationally does not mean you gotta jump on the "new age" magical theory bandwagon either.

Then, Debunker, can you explain to me what it was that government and industry backed scientists did at the Sigma Station complex and what got loose on the grounds, killing soldiers? That incident, along with the recovery and successful duplication of the experiments of Madison Randolph, is what has prompted my employer with their new areas of technological development.
Contact_21

Post by Contact_21 »

Debunker wrote:
Contact_21 wrote:A lot of questions that no one dares ask because evolution is finished science, not to be questioned. All I'm asking for here is an honest "We don't know." from the scientific community. That's all.
Contact_21

Science has no problems saying they dont know all the fact, they never have. But just because it cant be explained today DOES NOT mean it wont one day. On the other hand, just because you cant explain something rationally does not mean you gotta jump on the "new age" magical theory bandwagon either.

Well, with all due respect to people who have faith in God, you have a lot of faith in men who are basically saying, "Trust us. We'll have all the facts one day." Miracles still happen. I asked a hospital chaplain about it and he confirmed it.

If you ever face real evil, you'll realize it's not just a bunch of neurons and chemicals.

Contact_21
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Jake is right, scientists do admit that they don't know everything yet. Jake's also right that they will eventualyl figure it all out.

In the mean time, I will rely on those who have tried to describe what science has failed to explain yet. In their own way, the theologists, mythologists, parapsychologists, cryptozologista, anthropologists, archeaologists and folklorists who take this stuff seriously are on the cutting edge and we just need science to catch up.

Delta Sierra
Huntress

Post by Huntress »

I agree with Ron and Debunker, but I really dont care either way, if its paranormal and hostile, it dies as far I'm concerned.

Personally, I also think Debunker needs a woman, he way too uptight! :lol:
Girls kick ass, just ask my latest victim.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Nice to see another on the same page as me.

Delta Sierra
Huntress

Post by Huntress »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Nice to see another on the same page as me.

Really? You think he needs a woman too? :lol:
Girls kick ass, just ask my latest victim.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Cute.

I will say this about Debunker, he's a great shot.

Delta Sierra
The Traveler King

Post by The Traveler King »

It's interesting that he hasn't answered my question. Is it possible that he doesn't know?
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Cute.

Thanks Ron, Sharpshooting is a favorite hobby of mine. I've even racked up a nice collection of awards and trophies to show for it. Triva fact, I made it to regions in clayshooting for the olympics several years ago, but I choked during the finals. Some claim to fame huh?
Elliott James Tobias III

"The truth is indeed out there...science has been pointing it out for centuries."
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

An almost Olympian huh?

You seemed decently comfortable with the more robust para-ord I lent you.

Delta Sierra
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

Ultimatly every "slinger" acts the same, some just buck more than others. Not to mention the peice you loaned me had a great grip on it, your toys are very well maintained.
Last edited by Debunker on Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elliott James Tobias III

Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well I do make my living selling, customizing and maintaining those sorts of items for LEOs, hobbyists and the like.

Delta Sierra
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

And you do a marvelous job at that!
Elliott James Tobias III

Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Debunker wrote:
Ron Caliburn wrote:Cute.

Thanks Ron, Sharpshooting is a favorite hobby of mine. I've even racked up a nice collection of awards and trophies to show for it. Triva fact, I made it to regions in clayshooting for the olympics several years ago, but I choked during the finals. Some claim to fame huh?
Choked? Is that supposed to be a pun?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I would gauge that answer, but I'm sure I would bore you.

Delta Sierra
Lucas Priest

Post by Lucas Priest »

I'm not sure I would breech that level of pun.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Yeah,w e are turning into a real chamber of puns.

Delta Sierra