How long until the general public clues in?

Notices, advisories, and questions answered by official Lazlo Agency staff.
concrete_Angel

Post by concrete_Angel »

You can be religious without being a total psycho about it. My dad, for instance, was very understanding of other viewpoints, and loved to learn about them. Meanwhile, he was an ordained priest.
You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings
You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Everything that you feel
Is everything that I feel
So when we dream
We shout....
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

You are right Angel, being a religious person does not make you a head case. And I didn't lable any particular religion, as no one religion has the market conered on Zealots. Fact is most Zealots tend to fallow a twisted idea of the core beliefs of their so called faith. That has very little to do with whatever that Faith came from.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Zealots do not always twist core beliefs.

That's why I said extremists.

Work smarter, not harder.
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

It is a shame when those that claim to be religious turn to being zealots and try and destroy that witch they do not understand, i.e. magic, waving the banner of righteousness against it saying it is the devils work.

Why do they judge all who use it as demon possessed or devil worshiper or say it is the work of the devil, when it could just as likely be the work of the divine and more often then not the ones they persecute are the ones helping those in need rather then those using it to harm the innocent?
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

They don't judge. A higher power does.
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

That is the point. A religious person doesn't judge the leave it to whatever higher power they follow to judge, where as the zealot takes it apon his self to judge.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Not necessarily. Often judgement has already been passed.

An infidel is an infidel is an infidel.
Prof. Rosecrest

Post by Prof. Rosecrest »

Most Zealots, and extremists for that matter assume that, they know the mind of the divine. This how most of them justify their actions. Basicly saying they act on the will of their god.
A rather foolish idea to be sure.
You can find answers in the Dark places.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

It is how all religious people justify any of their actions.

How do you know it is foolish?
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

Prof. Rosecrest wrote:Most Zealots, and extremists for that matter assume that, they know the mind of the divine. This how most of them justify their actions. Basicly saying they act on the will of their god.
A rather foolish idea to be sure.

I would like to see the look on thier face when they get there and are told they can't enter because of that assumpton on thier part.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Or you might be passing them on your way out.
Sophoroto

Post by Sophoroto »

That is a definate possibility
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Aye lad.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I think my point of view on zealotry/extremeism is well known.

But seriously, how long until the general public cluse in? How do we expidite this?
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I guess I do not trust the general public enough to clue them in.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Then you're on the wrong site - one of the key aims of Lazlo Society has always been getting the knowledge of what's out there out to the public.

Delta Sierra
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

In a reasonable fashion.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

If it's not a reasonable fashion - it won't work.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

As Natasha said of Sasha (and me) in the philosophy forum, there are elements we want to know and there are elements we think are better off not knowing. Some can handle it, some can't, and some will just further muck things up.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Unfortunately the general pop just has no clue about any of the above.

We need to get the people aware and informed . . . we need to get them to prepare for possible monster or demon attack like they do for natural disasters and terrorist attacks.

If we don't . . . sooner or later . . . we're going to start having truely mass death events and by then it will be too late for us to organize to stop 'em.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

What we will have is clever humans taking advantage of the not so clever humans and then we have a whole new layer of shit to dig out. We already have more charlatans than we can manage. Maybe if I were not Russian I would have more faith in humanity. But I am not, and I do not. Things like the zero-day WMF attacks as well as 1000s of other Russian-brewed "hey can we sell this?" schemes which fucked countless lives.

So, yea, I'm not going to support awareness unilaterally across the board. It just would make things more difficult for us.

Being selective, however, ensures you get the right people for the job. I would rather foster five hunters than a hundred charlatans.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'd rather make sure 6 billion people know what they need to know to survive.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

That's how cults get started.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Again, if we make sure the general populace knows what they need to know, they can protect themselves from the threats long enough for he experts to do their thing.

That includes cults.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

It is too much idealism for me to bite into.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

It's not idealistic - it's practical - we're too few to protect the people now. Trying to nurture new hunters alon the way isn't goign to resolve that.

Making the threat of monsters as widely known as that of strangers, mugings and terrorist attacks should provide more people witht he tools they need to survive.

It will also cause more people to want to become hunters.

Think of it . . . a world where monster hunter really is a viable career option with college programs geared towards educating people in what they need to know.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I understand the idea/concept/whatever. Education is the answer to almost all of the world's problems. I am not opposed to any of it.

Getting there requires a lot of things to fall seamlessly into place along a very long and difficult road.

As we know, that does not happen.

We just end up with hoards of charlatans whose gain and foothold grows a hell of a lot faster than the one we don't really have even now. Even the ones that do not go very far set us back further than they went forward. They just got to far enough to make people go "bunch of wackos".

You just get a bunch of 5 Year Plan[TM]s and a whole lot of nothing to show for it.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

We need a wake up call . . . unfortunately the world won't wake up until we see a supernatural equivalent of a 911 . . . something like a day where the sun doesn't rise or giant bugs taking over the power grid or something.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

That would be one thing falling seamlessly into place. The next is that there is actually a global strategy for reaction (hehe, fun times).

Then you need a few thousand more.

If they have the power grid, we are no longer in communication. If we are no longer in communication, we have no idea what each other are doing. Militaries around the world are shut down, 95% or more.

Then there is the nature of the enemy. Are you fighting a stand up war or you have to sniff them out of caves and tunnels.

And so on and so on and so on.

Somewhat related... I know that Reagan and Gorbachyov spoke at times about a outer space threat, and I know several Russians still having wet dreams over the thought of a Russo-American One-Two beat down on anything that wants to step up.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Which is why we need to get people aware that these sorts of things might happen before they do.

As for the Russian / American 1 - 2, I thought that's what was happening to the Islamo-faschists - enough that our government is ignoring a lot of shenanigans from your government.

Delta Sierra