Sympathy for the Devil

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Phoenix

Sympathy for the Devil

Post by Phoenix »

There are a number of folktales regarding the devil.

Here's one.

Folklore wrote:There's a story in which a farmer sells his soul to the Devil for enough money to send his three sons to school as a doctor, a priest, and a lawyer. Come the end of his life, the Devil shows up to collect, and the farmer begs for just one more day to say goodbye to his sons. The Devil agrees, and the doctor arrives to send his father off, but begs just one more hour for his brother. The priest comes in, and begs another hour, but come the third son the Devil says no more hours, so the lawyer asks him to refrain from taking his father's soul until the candle stub in the corner burns all the way down. When the Devil agrees, the lawyer blows the candle out and pockets it.

Leave it to the lawyer.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Ron Caliburn

Re: Sympathy for the Devil

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm sure some would say the lawyer had already made his side deal with the devil some time before.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Phoenix

Re: Sympathy for the Devil

Post by Phoenix »

I think many would say that.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury