Ever get the feeling that the Cyber Gods must hate you?

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Cybermancer

Ever get the feeling that the Cyber Gods must hate you?

Post by Cybermancer »

I considered posting this in the Ghost in the Machine thread but decided to start a new one instead. This issue is a bit more specific.

I'm looking for people who have had encounters with what they suspect, beleive or preferably know to have been supernatural when engaged in activities involving the internet and to a lesser degree, computers or other devices.

This isn't a thread to discuss the hypothetical existence of this activity or to open debate about its existence. If you're looking for that, please move along. This thread is for those who have had encounters or believed they have had encounters that were supernatural in nature.

If you're concerned about relating your story about technological supernatural encounters over a digital medium, then feel free to send me a PM and I will try to arrange a more analog transfer of data.

I'll start things off by sharing some recent encounters. Please forgive any typos. I'm forced to type one handed while Summer tries to guide the fingers of my other hand into her mouth. She also seems quite interested in mashing the keys of the keyboard just like she's watching me do. I couldn't be more proud.

In anycase, it all started with some reported sightings of people behaving like zombies. I wasn't present for these sightings and didn't record them in any way but I do trust the sources. These initial encounters were somewhat inconclusive.

A little more recently a young friend of mine disrupted an attempt by two individuals who were again, acting rather like zombies. Though in this case they seemed intent on subduing a homeless individual and dragging them away. My friend was able to intervene, freeing the victim and then got the zombies to pursue them all night instead. Eventually they gave up and started off out of the park.

My friend followed them to a warehouse where other 'zombie' individuals were dragging another victim. Again my friend intervened and saved the victim. Then they followed these odd individuals into the warehouse. Some footage was recorded though not of the highest quality.

Long story short, a third victim was also saved though they seem to be paralyzed as a result of some rather unethical and unorthodox surgical proceedures. Some sort of part humanoid and part technological construct was encountered and engaged in combat. My friend was forced to flee with the victim rather than go all out against whatever it was (the footage doesn't match anything I've seen and there was problems with jerky motion, smoke and some sort of interference).

My friend did recover a head of one of the 'zombies' and gave it to me to examine. Given that the warehouse was on fire and authorities were investigating the site, I didn't feel right keeping the head as the person's loved one would likely want it back when they were eventually contacted. So I had to arrange to have it discreetly returned. I did get to examine it briefly however. There were some sort of implants in the person's brain.

Essentially, someone took an RC radio controller and stuck it in the person's head as though that could control them somehow. I could discern no practical or actual functional purpose to what I saw.

The warehouse fire was reported as arson. I have discreetly followed up with those in the government that I know but either they don't know anything or they aren't talking.

Following other lines of investigation did eventually lead to an electronics store where a computer seemed to be possessed by some sort of hostile data. This hostile data or programmed was tracked infiltrating some very secure systems though what they were doing there couldn't be determined. My hypothesis is that they were engaged in data theft. I have quietly alerted my contacts to look at he possibility that these systems have been somehow compromised so that they can at least attempt to protect themselves and correct any damage that may have been done.

In the end we basically isolated the computer from internet access and performed an exorcism on it (which was why I considered posting this in Ghost in the Machine). It seems to have worked. At least there hasn't been any new activity.

For now I am satisified that this case has progressed as far as it can. It has however got me wondering as this is a frontier of supernatural encounters I wasn't expecting and I don't feel adequately prepared for. That is why I am looking to hear about other people's experiences with it to see just how wide spread this might be.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Phoenix

Re: Ever get the feeling that the Cyber Gods must hate you?

Post by Phoenix »

The things that come and go from this world have been on many other worlds. Just because this one is just beginning its information age, doesn't mean other places and times haven't been at it a lot longer. Long enough to have adapted to any 'new' medium they might find here.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury

Return to “Community Outreach”