Interview With a Werewolf

A place to seek help, or to offer services, dealing with the paranormal.
Phoenix

Interview With a Werewolf

Post by Phoenix »

The man in front of me this morning isn’t what you might expect. He’s about average height and of average build—maybe on the thin wiry side. He’s a pale Caucasian. It almost seems as though he hasn’t seen enough of the sun. His eyes are an icy blue as he surveys his surroundings. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a hunter. Yet I don’t feel threatened in his presence. This is a man who provides for and protects his family. Those who don’t endanger him or them have nothing to fear.

Despite knowing that, I also know what he is. I know that in a matter of seconds he could go from a polite and civilized person to a snarling beast able to rip me apart. I would know this even if he hadn’t previously admitted his nature to me. His aura shows his nature plainly to those who’ve seen it before. In his presence I can feel my powers grow, responding to his nature. It is a state that can both draw people like us to people like him and at the same time repulse us as well.

The feeling can be mutual but today we have not met as adversaries. Today he has consented to an interview as a gesture intended to increase understanding between us and them.

“Good day and thank you for agreeing to this interview. I know it can’t be easy for you to risk exposure like this, especially to a community that actively hunts your kind. For the sake of protecting your identity, how would you like me to address you?”

There is a grin that reveals perfect white teeth.
“Call me Romulus.”

I can’t help but lift an eyebrow at the chosen nom de garre. Romulus and Remus were both raised by a she-wolf. Perhaps he is suggesting that there is a connection between that myth and his kind. “Very well Romulus. I understand you didn’t have what could be considered as traditional upbringing?”

“If by traditional you mean I wasn’t raised by other werewolves, then it’s very true. My brothers and I were rescued by a woman, I believe you know her as Mary. Our family was being slaughtered by hunters but she hid us. Afterwards she considered leaving us where others of our kind would find us but instead decided to raise us herself.” He chuckles easily showing quite a bit of good humor. “I guess we were something of an experiment for her.”

“An experiment? Doesn’t that bother you at all?”

“You would think but not really. She showed us nothing but love growing up. It’s hard to begrudge the person who saved your life and then raised you from a pup as though you were her own.”

“How many of you were there?”

“It was me and my five brothers. It got rough and tumble around the house at times, as you can imagine.”

“So are you the ‘alpha’ of your group?”

“If you’re asking if I’m the biggest then no, far from it. All five of my brothers are bigger and stronger than I am. But I have been elected to be our face and our voice. The leader of our small pack if you will.”

“I thought that the strongest always led the packs?”

“That may be true of most packs but our mother taught us we could choose our own way. So while I’m physically the weakest I’m also the smartest. We decided that we wanted to move ahead based on planning and thinking so that was one reason why I was elected. I am also smart enough to have learned some magic from mother so it’s not like I don’t have the power to lead. It’s just not physical power.”

“Don’t other packs respect thinking in their leadership?”

“It’s hard to say, to be honest. Mother kept us hidden from them as well as everyone else. It certainly seems that more emphasis has been put on brawn over brain. Either way, we’re too small a group to be able to afford mistakes. We have to optimize the management of our resources or perish, it’s as simple as that.”

“Some might say that conducting this interview would be a mistake. What would you say to them?”

“I would say that this interview is a risk, certainly. It’s a calculated risk however and we’ve taken steps to manage that risk. It will only be a mistake however if the cost outweighs the benefit. I’m confident however that the benefit will outweigh the cost.”

“And what would those costs and benefits be, exactly?”

“Well the cost is the potential deaths of members of our pack or even our extermination. So obviously it’s a bit of a gamble. The benefits however include the possibility of some very accomplished hunters cutting us some slack and giving us a chance to prove ourselves. The optimal benefit would be that we gain the future cooperation of others. Our pack is too small to survive on its own. We are wolves and we are men. We understand the social, cultural and survival advantages to be gained from being part of a larger whole. To survive we must join a larger group. Ultimately we would like to join a group that maximizes our chances to survive while also preserving some measure of our independence and freedom.”

“It sounds to me like your benefit to cost situation is pretty much all or nothing.”

“That about sums it up, yes.”

“Have you had any success in finding a group to join?”

“Well, before she passed on, Mother said she had a line on a group that might take us in but she perished before they ever got back to us. So now we sort of have to put ourselves out there, as it were and hope for the best.”

“Do you think that this group you mentioned might be reading this interview?”

“I’m certain of it. If not, someone in the larger Lazlo Community might be able to help us. The Lazlo Agency is quite large in its own right. Certainly the equal of any of the largest tribes I think. And there are other groups associated with the Lazlo Society that might be able to help us.”

“Well, I wish you well and hope you find what you’re looking for.”

“Thank you.” Romulus says. There’s a hint of sadness about him. He looks like a man but I can’t help but think he’s too young for the burden he carries.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Hannah

Re: Interview With a Werewolf

Post by Hannah »

I'm sure this will get taken care of.

Hannah.
I will be who I chose to be.
Last Moon

Post by Last Moon »

If Romulus is still in the mood to grant interviews, I would be most interested in speaking with him.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Ever get a chance to speak with him?
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Last Moon

Post by Last Moon »

Regretably no.

I haven't had much oppourtunity to get in contact with him I'm afraid. My current treatment regieme leaves me out of comission for weeks at a go.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I hope that the treatments are going well.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Last Moon

Post by Last Moon »

The treatments are progressing. We're hoping to eliminate one of the macines I'm plugged into in the next round.
Athena

Post by Athena »

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Return to “Classifieds”