Blood Moon

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Grace

Blood Moon

Post by Grace »

It's been awhile since I've posted a story here. I haven't been as active as I used to be since having the twins and I've been getting bored, wishing for something to happen. I guess you should be careful what you wish for.

A lot happened Monday night, during this past eclipse. It almost seemed in retrospect that we were all being hit from different quarters all at once. Some things may be related, some might not be.

Things were a little surreal for us Grants. It started out with a trip out west for a cheerleading competition that Cynthia was a part of. It just happened that the compound where Ron and Hannah grew up was a short drive away so we decided to stay there for the night.

Apparently someone anticipated this move on our part and set up an ambush for us. Not supernatural monsters like we usually face but monsters just the same.

To their credit, I suppose, they did want to talk first.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Nemesis

Re: Blood Moon

Post by Nemesis »

They might have wanted to talk but they were in no way reasonable.

Jerks.
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Well anyone who wants to talk with me should know better than to approach with their weapons ready and my family in the line of fire.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Grace

Post by Grace »

I don't know Ron, to be fair most people might be inclined to approach you with weapons drawn, even if they are sure you'll be friendly. You can be a bit intimidating and are something of a hardass.

In any case, sorry that it has taken so long to get around to posting this. I’ve just been very, very mad about it. However this is something that must be reported on for a number of reasons.

Okay so Cynthia had a cheerleading competition to attend out west. We decided to go along with her and while we were out there we’d visit the compound that Ron and Hannah grew up on. It was the night of an eclipse and the place has been the location of strange occurrences in the past. Ron and I thought it might be a good chance to intercept something passing into our world before it got far and started causing damage, death and mayhem.

It wasn’t just a family outing however. One of Cynthia’s friends was with us. MJ, who has posted on this site occasionally using her brother’s account, was also with us for the trip. Her brother is busy helping another member of the forums investigate a very important matter. While he is away, we are protecting MJ. It wasn’t easy to get Ron to agree to this and honestly, I wasn’t fair in my approach either. In the end though, he agreed that protecting her was the right thing to do.

This is probably the first time most of you are hearing about this. That’s because we kept it under our hats, telling only those who absolutely needed to know and that we trust with our own lives. Somehow, someone else found out about the situation though. They also knew enough about us, our routines and our schedules to know that we would be at the compound that night.

We were all sitting in the living room of the house talking about the competition and praising Cynthia for her role in it. In mid-sentence, MJ paused and cocked her head as though listening to something. At about the same time Cynthia sat upright.

“Magic?” Ron asked Cynthia, immediately recognizing her non-verbal cues when she senses arcane energy.

She nodded the affirmative which caused both Ron and I to go for our weapons. His piece wasn’t even fully out when he was asking the follow up question, “Supernatural?”

Cynthia frowned, glanced at MJ and then shrugged. It was her way of telling us that she didn’t’ think so but couldn’t be sure due to interference. We had to be ready for anything.

While Ron and I armed, Cynthia ushered MJ and the twins down to the cellar. Cynthia would be the last line of defense and we all knew it. As last lines of defense go, she was certainly very potent. But at the same time, Ron and I were both determined not to let it get to that level.

As the cellar door closed, I could just make out Cynthia on the phone to Hannah, apprising her older sister of the situation. Radio headsets we were all putting on would keep Cynthia in the loop of what was transpiring.

While there are times I get nostalgic about the days I was a solo operator, I have to confess there are advantages to working with others. Cell reception isn’t the greatest at the compound but the phone Matt provided Cynthia has superior reception. Knowing that the babies were protected by Cynthia and MJ took a load off my mind allowing me to focus on my job. Working with Ron is great because I know I have someone who will always watch my back.

It took us very little time to prepare for the worst of whatever was about to happen.

Little did we expect what happened next.

There was a polite knock at the door.
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I didn't like having to go into the cellar to hide but I knew what I was protecting so did it anyway. I don't know how long things went on for but it seemed like an eternity.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

The polite knocks always worry me the most.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Grace

Post by Grace »

I don't care how polite a knock is, coming armed and surrounding a place is just rude.

“Ron, they’re knocking.” I stated, somewhat perplexed. “Why are they knocking?”

“Either they want to talk or they’re hoping to shoot one or both of us when we open the door.” He replied, still tense.

They knocked again.

“Well, I suppose someone ought to get it then.” I stood up, “Cover me.”

“No, you're not.” He nearly growled. “You cover me.”

There are advantages to having lovers as fire team partners. One major disadvantage was neither wants the other to take point. So we resolved it the only reasonable way.

Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Ron has a tendency to go for rock when playing this game. So naturally I accused him of cheating when he came up with scissors to my paper.

They knocked again.

Remarkably patient people.

“Cover me.” Ron said, ending the debate.

With the time for action upon us, I took up my position, giving me a clear shot at the door and Ron made sure to stay out of my line of fire.

Two gentlemen were at the door. Not that they were dressed in suits mind you. They were dressed for action with body armor and weapons present, but holstered or slung. “Are you the man who calls himself Ron Caliburn?” The taller of the two asked.

“Yes.” He admitted, offering no additional information.

“My name’s Tim and this is Eric.” He gestured to his partner momentarily. “We were hoping that perhaps we could resolve this issue without conflict.”

I was impressed with the restraint and calm with which Ron responded. He didn’t just shoot them in the face and seemed willing to give them a chance to survive this. Still, the anger was clear in his voice and composure. “That’s certainly possible. Despite the fact that you’re trespassing and came onto my land armed and have threatened myself and my family by doing so, I will let you all leave without harm if you leave now. But before you go, you must unload and clear all your weapons. Since you’re fellow hunters, I will let you depart with them. If you don’t do this, and exactly this, I can’t make any assurances about your safety.”

“We don’t actually mean any harm at all to you or your family.” Tim tried to sound reassuring though the gear he wore about his body suggested a different story. “We just want the were-jaguar.”

“I can’t help what you want.” Ron said stubbornly and with increasing anger. “She is a guest in my home and under my protection. If you want her, you’ll have to wait until that changes.”

Ron hadn’t been happy about MJ coming to stay with us from the beginning. We pretty much had to gang up on him to make it happen. But he did permit and despite the fact that it made him very uncomfortable, he stuck to it. Even now, with his family being threatened, he stuck to what he had promised all of us. I couldn’t have been prouder.

“Well you see, we’re hoping you would change that. Just send her out and we’ll take care of the problem.” He affected a look of sympathy. “I know you it must be driving you crazy having her near you, near your children. You think those things she’s carrying in her belly will play nicely with your children, for all the honor and goodwill you’ve shown her? Despite the fact that her father and her brother both have tried to murder you? You’re a good man, we know that. And you’ve always fought the good fight. The same fight we’ve been fighting for hundreds of years against the same enemies. I don’t know what has brought you to this current situation, but it can’t be sitting well with you. So I’m here to offer you an out. Just send her out and all your problems will go away.”

“If you think my problems would just go away by putting her out, you haven’t met my two eldest daughters.” He snorted. “Even if I were inclined to go back on my word. Or to turn over a pregnant girl. It’s just not going to happen, so I suggest you and your friends unload and leave before someone gets killed.”

Tim looked sad. “It doesn’t have to go down this way, you know. All we want is that creature.”

“Then you shouldn’t have come for her while she was here.” Ron said with a note of finality.

“Alright.” Tim nodded, still looking sad. “When things start getting rough for you later, we’ll accept your surrender at anytime, just so long as we get the creature. Heck, if we get a lucky shot at her, we’ll happily withdraw. Just so you know.”

“So you’re going to do this thing, then?” Ron asked, giving Tim one last chance to back down.

“We have no choice.” Tim said resolutely.

“Then neither do I.” Ron said as he shifted to the side slightly and started to draw.

As he did so, I took my shot. Tim recoiled back as his brains exited the back of his head. Eric started to draw but wasn’t fast enough. I evacuated the contents of his head just as I had with Tim.

Ron slammed the armored door shut in time for it to catch a hail of gunfire from Tim and Eric’s friends.

From that moment on, Ron and I were engaged in an ongoing gun battle. We were outnumbered and surrounded. Our resolve was stronger than theirs though. We had each other and our family to protect and as far as I was concerned, MJ was part of the family.

I think, if it had been a straight up shooting fight, we would have won. It might not have been easy but we had a lot of advantages on our side. But it wasn’t a straight up fight.

They had brought some mages along, and that changed everything.
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Dad,

wow. I knew you and Darcy had fought it out with the hunters, but I didn't realize you'd shut them out from the get go. I figured you might have had to think about it first.

I'm really proud of you.

I know I put you in a difficult spot with MJ. I'll admit I had more than just her safety in mind when I set it up that you'd have to take her in. It was important that we find a reason for peace among our families. I know you didn't like it. I know you probably will never like Peter and MJ, or that they are some of the closest friends of Cynthia and I, but I needed you to see them for who and what they really are.

You stepped up big time Dad, thank you.

Hannah Knight

PS: And Darcy, you were as awesome as usual, but that goes without saying.
I will be who I chose to be.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Hannah wrote:And Darcy, you were as awesome as usual, but that goes without saying.

No, no. It doesn't go without saying. You can keep telling me how awesome I am. :P

For the record, I'm pretty proud of your dad too.
-Oscar Wilde.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

You're making me blush.

Delta Sierra
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

You're making me blush.

Ron, blushing? Two words I would never have thought could be used in the same sentence.

You know, if doofuses 1 & 2 had really known you as well as they thought, they'd probably still be breathing right now. You may be a hardass, but you are an honorable man.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Ugh, I hate dealing with mages - and I am one.

I'm curious how you got out of this. Clearly you did since otherwise you wouldn't be writing this, not to mention had family dinner the other night.
Grace

Post by Grace »

I'm going to let my daughter write the next part since Ron and I didn't actually see it.

Supposedly she already wrote a post once but the internet ate it. I think she's been screwing around too much on her trip to Europe. She best remember it's not supposed to be a vacation.
-Oscar Wilde.
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

I enjoy the fact you like to pretend you probably didn't act the same as a teenager. :P
Grace

Post by Grace »

Believe me, she hates the fact that anything she wants to do or try to pull, I invented.
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hey Darcy,

What if she considers it a challenge? You know how competitive she gets.

Hannah Knight
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I am so glad I have a boy.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm sure my father was glad too.

Delta Sierra
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Hopefully her son will have a better relationship with his father.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Would be hard to have a worse one.

Delta Sierra
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

It's fair to say he set a rather low standard.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I did write the next segment. I even sent it to Papa for review. Athena can vouch for me since she helped me with it. But Papa never got it and somehow it disappeared from my outbox. Athena says she thinks that the server this site is hosted on may have reset to a previous saved setting after I sent it but before Papa saw it. So basically the cybergods ate it.

Isn't that a better story than saying the dog (or Mr. Baggins) ate my homework :P

Problem is, it's a true story. And such a reset could hide a lot of cyber sins. I keep insisting that posting on this site is an unacceptable security risk but Mama keeps insisting that we take the risk both to warn and to educate others.

Anyway, I'm going to try to have it done either later today or later this week. I wouldn't want to be pulled off mission because I didn't write a follow up post.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hey Sis,

We managed to get you on mission despite your writer's block. Now it's time to pay the piper and get typing!

Love and kisses,

Hannah Knight
Athena

Post by Athena »

Oral dictation would be quicker.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Alright, alright. I’ll get this done.

Momma and Papa were upstairs doing their best to hold off the enemy while I led MJ and the twins to the cellar. I had her hold the twins because I needed my hands free to work protective magic. In addition to holding the twins MJ also provided me with some extra power and material components I need in order to work my magic.

What do you mean I’m saying magic too often in that paragraph?

Fine. She also provided me with the extra juice and material I needed to work my charms. There, happy?

Well of course I’m not clear about what I mean by material components. They don’t need to know she let me cut her and use her blood. I mean sure she heals like instantly and Peter does it for me all the time but some people are just squeamish, you know?

Anyway, where was I?

Oh, right.

Two of them came down the stairs, careful to make as little noise as possible. They were skilled but MJ was focusing on them regardless. She might not be able to see them but she could hear and smell them well enough. Especially that one old stair that creaks.

Of course thanks to my charms, I could see them. They probably didn’t expect that. Obviously they had managed to get past Momma and Papa easily enough so perhaps they weren’t expecting a credible or prepared magical obstacle.

I recited my incantation, making no more noise than breathing. Shadows suddenly crept up the stairs and ensnared the two of them. Watching their invisible forms struggle against intangible shadows made me giggle a bit.

The one in the front started working on a protective charm while the one in the back started trying to counter my magic.

There, you happy? Only said magic once.

So anyway, I wasn’t about to give them the chance to recover. I closed on them and stabbed the first one in the throat. The power produced by his death throes added significantly to my own.

How did I know? I could feel it of course.

Well, it feels sort of like… geeze, I don’t even know how to explain this too you. There’s a rush, like adrenaline but it doesn’t distort your perceptions the same way. It’s just raw power and potential and life and it fills you up. Not just in your mind or your gut but every part of you. I could feel the dead mages power in my hair and my fingertips.

I immediately rechanneled that power into the darkness and engulfed his struggling friend in icy black flames.

Well no, I’ve never touched them myself.

Because that’s what they’re supposed to feel like.

Can you just take me at my word on this one?

Fine. Where was I?

Oh right.

The flames didn’t quite kill the second mage but did leave him easy to dispatch with my knife.

Well, because it’s nicer than saying cut open like a Christmas pig.

No, I’ve never cut open a Christmas pig.

Moving along, I was again fiilled to overflowing with mystic energy. I decided to put that power to good use, reinforcing my magic defenses as much as I could. The thing about absorbing other people’s power when they die is that you have to use it pretty quick or you lose it.

Unfortunately our friends outside knew that too. Magic has an expiration date.

The excess power I didn’t use soon faded.

Upstairs I could hear the occasional shot being fired. Sounded like a lull in the battle. Or a holding action. What? I don’t care if it’s a sentence fragment, that’s how I want it to sound. Or be typed. Whatever.

Either way, it became apparent to me that they were waiting me out. They were keeping Momma and Papa busy and pinned down but they were also waiting for my spells to run out. I could either sap my power keeping them re-energized or risk not having any power for future fights or I could let them run out so I’d have more power for our next confrontation.

Naturally I decided to reserve my power.

Thank you. I thought it was the smart thing to do as well.

While it seemed like an eternity, eventually another mage did decide to sneak past my parents in order to get at MJ and I. Even though the enchantment that allowed me to see them when they are invisible had worn off, I could sense their approach without any investment of arcane power at all. MJ’s sense further narrowed down where they were.

No, I didn’t hear or see the door open because they weren’t using it. They were using magic to bypass the doors. Probably did to get past my parents as well.

I let them have it with my pistol. That was sort of a mistake as these two had defensive magic already in place. They responded with gunfire of their own.

Of course mages use guns. They’re more effective at killing than most spells, often have better range and they don’t sap your eldritch energies.

Well because I had an excess of energy at the time, that’s why. Back to the story, okay?

Fortunately for me I was behind cover. While she was also behind cover, MJ was curling up with the twins, putting her body between them and the attackers. Papa flinches every time she’s near them but MJ would rather die than let any harm come to my little bro and sis.

I’ve come to admire the different and creative ways that my Auntie Mel uses telekinesis when she’s faced with danger so I decided to take a page out of her book. I started pelting the pair of attackers from all directions with various debris cluttering the cellar. One of them noticed when the grenade pin arrived before the grenade.

Well, it exploded of course. I’m trying to imply the action to encourage the reader to imagine what is going on. And yes, it killed them both.

There was a coded knock that followed after the explosion. Papa was checking to see if we were okay. I gave the coded response in return and then frowned at the two new corpses. I had been too far away to absorb their power. If they kept coming then the attrition would surely drain me completely.

I think we’ll stop there.

Because if you make the posts too long, people have a hard time reading them.

Well sure I could keep narrating and then parse it later but I also want to spend some quality time with Papa on his birthday.

Of course there will be cake. And there will be on your birthday too.

Yes, she does make the prettiest cakes.

Anyway, can you post it for me?

On my account, of course.

Thanks!

Dictated by Cynthia Grant
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Cynthia, you might want to edit your dictated posts before you wind up sounding too much like Ben Holister.

Delta Sierra
Grace

Post by Grace »

That's way harsh, Ron!

But seriously Cynthia, edit better!
-Oscar Wilde.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Ugh. Now I know why everyone's been teasing me. Serves me right, I guess. Next time I'll be more diligent.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

It's okay sis, at least you got it posted.

Hannah Knight

Return to “War Stories”