Food of the Fey

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Phoenix

Food of the Fey

Post by Phoenix »

Yesterday I received a package from an anonymous sender yesterday. It's a rather hold collection of scrolls, dating back to the early Roman era. I had to handle them with the utmost care.

They detail the case of a noble's daughter who was stolen as a baby and replaced by a changeling. They did eventually discover the deception, killed the doppelganger and the champion of the family went to the realm of the fey to retrieve the daughter.

By the time he found her, she was a prepubescent girl. She was brought home but soon started to fade away. It was discovered that she had eaten the food of her captors and needed it to live.

An Oracle that is referred to as the Lady of Seven Curses reported suggested that the fruit of the underworld might permanently reverse the malady that the girl was under. I'm not sure but it seems the plan was to create some sort of curative elixir. The story of Hercules and the Golden Apples is referred to at this point.

The Champion departed for the underworld as did many other heroes of the time. None of them returned.

There are references to what fruit is required and how the recipe to creating the elixir but they have all been destroyed, removed from the record. Almost as though someone didn't want anyone attempting this.

I know that there are some out there who are thinking about this but I'm going to say this right now.

Don't do it.

If it's golden apples you're after, I know what plane of hell they can be found on and you don't want to go there. Aside from the fact that it's you know, HELL, it would be a suicide mission.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Ron Caliburn

Re: Food of the Fey

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Interesting how that just showed up.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

In cases like this it is usually a hidden ally who wants to help, a hidden enemy that wants to hinder, a neutral party furthering their own agenda or occasionally, a trickster of some sort.

I know about some of these fruits. Some of them are highly addictive. But others have powerful curative properties. The information is plausible but I can't verify it as truth.

And therein lies the danger. Even if someone where to undertake this mission, we do not know what fruits are needed nor how they would be used. It's a suicide mission with astronomically low chances of success for a reward we wouldn't know how to use.

I am leaning towards thinking that this information was not provided by one with our best interests at heart. In fact I already regret passing it on.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

It certainly has to be a set up. Doesn't consuming the food of the underworld then bind you to the underworld instead?

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

It's not that simple. There are many different types of fruits and foods to be found in the different planes of the underworld. Some are harmful, some are addictive and some are actually useful. Unfortunately we don't even what fruits would be required.

I do have this advice. Stay away from any apples.

-Ray Bradbury
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Or Pomegranates?

Hannah
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You've been watching too many TV commercials, I think.

I haven't had any of those though.

-Ray Bradbury
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

I think Hannah is referring to the Greek myth in which a girl descends into the realm of the dead, is warned not to eat any food there, but she ends up eating six pomegranate seeds...and so when she was rescued from that realm, she wound up having to spend six days of every year there. The exact details of the myth elude me, because it's far too early, and I've had one too many heavily jarring experiences, in the past few days. But, if we're talking about pomegranates binding a person to Hell, then I imagine that's what we're talking about.

Contact me in PM, please. I may not take this job--in fact, I most likely won't--but I'd like to know more.
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'm aware of myth. It just doesn't apply to the parts of the underworld that I was referring to.

As for more details, I'm not sure what you're looking for. And I wouldn't encourage anyone to take this job. It's either a trap or a fools quest. Or both. There isn't much more to know than I've already related. My sources either don't know, are too vague or are oddly uncooperative.

-Ray Bradbury
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Copy that. Perhaps next job, then.
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
freerunner92

Post by freerunner92 »

MJ here.

I remember an old tale the elders used to tell us about the fruit of the dead which would break any enchantment if consumed, but would place you under the complete control of the one who gave it to you. I also remember that the hero of the story was able to reduce its effect by making some kind of poultice out of it and using it to draw out the enchantment without leaving one in its place.

I don't remember all of the details though and we have no Eldars around to ask, but I may know where some of them are. Unfortunately they might not be interested in helping.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Perhaps they can be persuaded.

Not that I would encourage anyone to pursue this. At least until we learn who is behind the information. That should be the focus of any investigation.

-Ray Bradbury
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

I don't suppose anyone has figured out if it's ally, enemy, or trickster yet?
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

If anyone knows anything about it, they've been oddly quiet about it. But my guess is trickster at best and enemy as more likely.

-Ray Bradbury
PacificMalone

Post by PacificMalone »

Perhaps it is someone or a group of people who wish to acquire this item without taking the inherit risks in its retrieval.

-Malone
If you need help or just someone to hit the books I'm your man.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I considered that possibility which is why I warn so vehemently against anyone trying this. Unfortunately, this situation remains a mystery.

-Ray Bradbury
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Alright, so despite my advice NOT to attempt this, it was attempted.

Thankfully the attempt was successful and the (heroic) fool who attempted it is alive and appears to be mostly well.

All we need now is the recipes.

-Ray Bradbury
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Did I hear my cue?

On a more serious note, actually have been doing some research, but not a lot out there really. It seems that infernal fruits are not that popular of an ingredient . . . in the willing anyway.

Hannah Knight
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

It's still a long shot at best. Maybe also the only shot. The fruit has been stored safely and in proper conditions. Our friend, despite the obvious changes he's gone through is recovering rapidly. He's starting to spontaneously recognize people, places and things again. His roots are also starting to come back in his original hair color.

-Ray Bradbury

Return to “Community Outreach”