What is going on? Is this the only incidence of time travel?

Notices, advisories, and questions answered by official Lazlo Agency staff.
Blackstone

What is going on? Is this the only incidence of time travel?

Post by Blackstone »

I was at Saint Micheal's Tower, in Glastonbury, yesterday meditating. Two tourist from the states were there. When something quite odd happened. Namely a full spectral of swirling coloured lights coming from a growing sphere appeared and the tourist left quickly. Clenching there stomachs. It was rather nauseating, but I have a rather high constitution...plus I shut my eyes and covered them with my hood and hand. The next thing I know, I hear the upchucking of a teenaged boy dressed in ancient Egyptian garb and speaking what I suspected was Khemetic.

He looked like he was freezing. It was a bit cool to me...(But I hadn't just feel through a temporal portal from Egypt.) Luckily I carry a few changes of clothes in my car and I honestly never though I would be thankful for the baggy pants goth look before than!

But started communicating with the spell tongues because I knew he would be a lot more comfortable communicating in his native language. And used the spell words of truth...He claims to be Ptolemy Philadelphus (the youngest son of Queen Cleopatra). Sent forward in time by a priest of Djehuti (Thoth). To a time where he would be safe from Rome.

I took him to my guild master, he recommends that in the mean time I take him in and would speak to the right people to see to it.

He speaks Latin and ancient Greek, as what I think to be a form of ancient Gaelic (Celtic).

I just want to know if there has been similar cases in the archives of the Lazlo Society. If so, what happened?
Cybermancer

Re: What is going on? Is this the only incidence of time tra

Post by Cybermancer »

There have been alleged accounts of time travel here on the boards in the past. More than once in fact.

According to the laws of physics as they are they are generally accepted, what you describe is quite possible. It only requires the acceleration of the subject to near the speed of light. Time would seem to stand still for them while it would go at the normal rate for everyone else.

What you describe is also consistent with various fey myths where someone is taken to the otherworld only to return decades or even centuries later without having aged in the interim.

It is further consistent with Egyptian philosophy and culture. They spent a great deal of effort in trying to find ways to survive into the future.

It's noteworthy that Ancient Egypt is known to have traded for tin from the British Islands.

I would keep the boy under observation if I were you.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Tin was a major component of bronze, and with Great Britain being the major source of it, it meant a lot of long distance trade.

I confess time travel isn't my forte, so I can't really offer much. I am aware that besides the unfortunate Caeserion, Cleopatra had 3 sons with Anthony, but I am not sure what their fates historically were off the top of my head.

Is this tower known for such strange events?
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Are you certain it's really time travel? There are other explanations to what has happened here that are much more likely.

Even if his story is completely true and he hasn't been brainwashed with a false past and memories, he may simply be from another plane/dimension that is not as far along the timeline as ours is. There are infinite parrallel earths in existence. The magic required to move a person from one dimension to another is far more accessible than that required to move through time in the same plane.

And that's assuming everything is as it seems to be.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

Are we not all time travelers? Moving away from the past and being swept away from the present and into the future by the currents of the river of time?
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You might as well say that we are all space travellers as well as semantically, that is technically correct. The whole of the earth moves through space and so do we all.

But it would just as pointless to point out. People aren't referring to regular motion through the heavens when they discuss space travel anymore than they are discussing regular motion through time when they talk about time travel. Both terms refer to irregular or uncommon passages through time and space.

And it is irregular travel through time that is the topic of discussion. And in that framed context, we are not all time travellers.

But some of us are.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

Forgive me, I had once again forgotten the rushed impatience of the young. Be careful that this impatience does not cause you to miss out on the wonders of life all around you.

Indeed, we are all space travelers, and on the most incredible spaceship ever created, but space travel was not the topic of discussion, time travel is.

The rate of 60 seconds per minute, the measured speed of the flow of the river of time. That "everyone" travels through time at this rate, and in the same direction is something worthy of awe, is it not?

And even though the river of time moves onward at the same speed for "everyone", who has not had a day when O-Kami Amaterasu's stately walk across the heavens is rushed in an unseemly fashion leaving a blessed day all to short? Or the times when Amaterasu walks more slowly, carefully observing everything under her gaze, making the day drag onward?

Without understanding the natural flow of the river, her "normal" ripples and eddies, how can one be certain that this traveler or that one is not following her natural flow?

Most travelers drift down the river oblivious to their surroundings, some few focus on watching the shores as they roll endlessly past. Still more focus on the other travelers upon the raft with them. It is a handful of "madmen" however that take note of the fact there are other vessels upon the river.

I see that I have fallen into "rambling on" yet again. I apologize for the intrusion, and the rambling thoughts of this old monk.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

It's amusing that you assume that I'm young.

-Ray Bradbury
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

Hey, here's a bit of an update on the boy.

I am attempting to school him at home.

I had ordered him an immune system boosting amulet, protection against the cold amulet, and 2 communication amulets (one for reading and one for speech) the day he got here from my guild...Um, yeah...They got here day before yesterday. Thank the Gods for ozone lights and that my house is warded against sickness...among other things. To bad there's no ward against church groups...Sorry if I offend anyone, but they are annoying. You would think that a house with a pentacle knocker wouldn't have to worry about church groups. Well, you'd be wrong in London. And I got it thinking it would make them stop...It hasn't! At least 5 times a week.

Anyway...Planning an outing this weekend. The temp in Manchester won't be too bad. Going to a take in a game, and then head to my mum's.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Are you sure he's the only thing that came through?
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

I once spent a thousand years teaching a baboon how to do tea ceremony. Teaching Mel to swing a sword without being a complete embarrassment to her instructor took less time; it just seemed to take longer. That's all I need to know about temporal physics.

Return to “Agency Voice”