Operation Silver Strike - Day 2

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Kolya

Operation Silver Strike - Day 2

Post by Kolya »

I got everyone together and we organised into our search teams. One last equipment and radio check, and we head out into the jungle. The jungle canopy precludes effective ground mapping, but we had been able to build a map good enough for marking off search grids, roughly 100 meters square. Since radio contact would be difficult in the thick jungle, this kept us fairly close to each other at all times. It also would allow us to react faster if the other team found itself in some trouble.

We were searching for any signs of the missing Russians. Our psychics had told us thaty were dead, so we were looking to recover the bodies to bury them in Russia. Along with this mission, we needed to gather some informatino regarding the secuiryt on the island, which was previously grossly underestimated and inadequate for the initial build up phase. Our little island turned out to be far more dangerous than anyone imagined.

Towards the end ofthe day we began to head back to camp. Then a call came over the radio of a sighting of some locals, humanoids living on the island. Lyosha took Natasha with him to establish contact with them. As it turns out they speak one of the arcane languages that Natasha speaks. They immediately began telling us that we had to leave the island with much haste before the night demons cause us trouble.

Natasha had lifted her visor to talk to the humanoids while I plugged into the view Lyosha's camera was providing. With no intentions of leaving the island without the bodies, I had Natasha press them for any information regarding the missing Russians. They claimed not to have any information about them, except that the night demons that haunt the island probably took them. They kept repeating that we are not safe and we must go back to wherever it is we came from before any trouble finds us. I asked Ntasha to ask why they are safe from the ngith demons. They explained that they are a part of the jungle and do not get attacked as a result of that.

"They are hiding something," Lyosha chimed in over the radio.

Natasha asked the humanoids to describe the night demons, but they spoke in vague descriptions, explaining really nothing at all--no one lives to tell about seeing one is what it all boiled down to for them.

The sun was quickly ducking below the mountains and I decided that it was more important to return to camp than to stick around. So we made our way back to the camp where Bert had organised (and set up) an impressive perimeter defense. Amazing what that guy can do. Darkness shrouded our little corner of the island somewhere in our megaverse.

Just after midnight some alarms went off and some flares from the red sector shot up into the sky illuminating the beach. I ran into the command center to look at the video while gunfire began as well as some explosions. Chatter over the radio defined the nature of the threat.

"Red sector, five four-legged creatures. Use silver."

"Blue sector, I see two of them."

I scanned the video screens. I saw some vague shapes moving around but nothing certain.

More radio chatter intermingled with gun fire and explosions.

"Were-panthers!" I heard someone say, but I did not recognise the voice over the radio.

The fight ended fairly quickly. The perimeter defenses had softed them up while the teams finished them off. We cleared the battlefield, built a fire, and started chopping off the monsters' heads.

It was then crystal clear that the security in place for the island were utterly worthless. First light, I decided, we would find those humanoids and get to the bottom of it. Assuming we survived the night.

Which, obviously, we did.
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I finished up the locks and things Kolya asked me to do. I should have slept at least a bit before the long day in front of me really began, but I not wanted to sleep. So I found a comfortable log on the beach to sit on, and I peered at the waves licking the beach. Then Bert appeared. He was ready for the day. He carried his helmet under his left arm and a pair of binoculars in his right hand. His assault rifle was slung over his shoulder.

"A penny for your thoughts?" he asked. A conversation followed. (to be posted soon)

After our conversation, the teams were assembled. Kolya had assigned us search grids. We needed to move quickly, but we needed to be thorough, too.

When we found the humanoids we immediately established radio contact with Kolya.

"Whatever, use magic or psionics to establish a dialog with them," he said.

Under cover from the team, Lyosh and I approached the humanoids. They were dark skinned and looked human, if a bit taller than usual. During the approach, Lyosha scanned them psionically. I held a paralysing ward in my hand, in my pocket, ready for activation in case things became bad for us. I called out in the language and they responded positively.

As I spoke my radio was active. Kolya could see through Lyosh's camera on his helmet. After some back-and-forth with the humans, Kolya ordered us back to the base. It was getting dark quickly and he did not want us out in the jungle at night without knowing these 'night demons' really were.

And soon enough we figured it out, loud and clear.
Наташа Крылова .:. Natasha Krilova
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

I woke up early and had an MRE for breakfast. After tasting the food at the Russian Airbase I made sure to bring my own rations. After that I spent the first half of the day setting up perimeter defenses. I created several defensible firing positions from materials we had laying around, and removed some of the trees from around the base perimeter to open up the area and provide us with more room to shoot. My greatest achievement was the construction of a perch from which I could fire my Browning .50 Heavy Machinegun at the entire treeline surrouding the base. I loaded up the ammunition next to the gun and spied Natasha sitting on a log, so I went to go have a chat.

After that I joined Kolya's search party.

When we returned to Base, I moved my sleeping bag up to the perch with the gun and settled in for first watch of the night. I was dozing after my watch had ended, when the flares went up and a call came across the radio. I popped a piece of caffeinated gum and wiped the sleep from my eyes. I could see cat-creatures running at us from out of the Jungle. Several of the animals were already wounded in the legs, paws, and belly from the Punji Sticks I had setup around the perimeter, and I could spy one swinging from a tree in the distance, trying to claw its way loose. From my perch I provided much needed suppressing fire to my comrades at ground level. A belt of .50 Silver is expensive as hell, but you can't beat it. I tried to herd the creatures into a crossfire between my friends on the ground with some success. I even scored a kill, the silver death I rained from above ripping through flesh and shattering bone. The battle was, obviously ultimately decided in our favor.
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

We broke up into seach parties the next day to begin looking for the missing Russians, Koyla informed us that the canopy made ariel surrvalince nearly worthless so we would have to do it by foot. We set out and began the sweep by sectors, I was following Koyla when we got the call of natives sighted. I stood watch as the conversation with the natives occured and heard Lyosha comment on them hiding something. I silently preped a few talismans to cast if needed. I was put on alert when I heard of the night demons and the vauge way they were described, Skullcrusher wanted to get a bit heavy handed to get more information. I reminder her that our mentor/friend would not like to know she was sliding to that, it got the subject dropped with no further arguement. The sun was setting as the talks seem to stall and Koyla ordered a halt to the search and a return to camp for the night. With the word of night demons I can understand the need to be in a defensive place if they are real.

Before I fell asleep I heard the reports of activity at the perimiter, I grabed my weapons and headed to were I would be of use. That's when things went south for us, the perimeter was stormed in a very short but fast and hard rush. There was a short battle as we discovered werepanthers attacking the camp, I hurled a few spells to help soften the things and used a firearm more than I have in my life to conserve my magic stores. I got nine kinds of hell from Skullcrusher about the guns, she wanted to split some heads herself. I remarked in less than postable terms what she could do with that idea unless they forced the issue. And I spent the rest of the fight listening to her lecture me in a way only my mentor and his old rune weapon could. We lived as is evident from us posting, during the clean up Koyla announced we would be going to speak to the natives again to get this sorted out.
Razor

Re: Operation Silver Strike - Day 2

Post by Razor »

Bump for thread necromancy, for Lost Moon
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
freerunner92

Post by freerunner92 »

Wha the heck? Panthers don't attack people unless they are provoked. What did you do to trigger this?
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

It's make believe.
It doesn't have to make sense.
Question everything.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Jackass.
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.

Return to “War Stories”