They Huffed and Puffed but They Couldn't Blow the Door Down!

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Cybermancer

They Huffed and Puffed but They Couldn't Blow the Door Down!

Post by Cybermancer »

On June first my home and family was attacked. The attack was orchestrated by a tribe of werewolves based out of Eastern Europe. They employed another tribe of mixed were-beasts who primarily operate in the large mega-cities of the Pacific Rim. Because there are defenses that supernatural creatures such as these absolutely cannot overcome, they also recruited human mercenaries. These human mercenaries also originated in Eastern Europe where such fiends are common enough.

It was obviously a plan they thought long and hard about. It was a plan that they took every care to ensure that all allies were attacked simultaneously. It was a plan that was destined to fail, even if all had gone according to plan, which it did not.

But back to those humans from Eastern Europe. They invaded my home intent on harm to me and my family. They found it empty. They went deeper and deeper, looking for loot and plunder. They found it and tried to leave with it. They didn’t get far as my security had told the authorities that my home was being invaded. They arrived post haste and captured the surprised mercenaries.

I am certain some very pointed questions are still being asked of these Eastern European nationals and just what it was that they wanted in the home of man who does top secret research for the federal government. In fact I’m sure the ripples from that will be felt for some time and will reach quite far. So that’s at least one factor they didn’t know about and therefore failed to anticipate.

Another place they attacked with human mercenaries was my God-Father’s place. Again because werewolves can’t enter his home, ever. They put up a bit of a fight and unfortunately there was a single, regrettable casualty. Mr. Wynters sacrificed his life by taking a bullet meant for his daughter. All of them were taken alive and when we were done strip mining their minds of information, they were turned over to the same government authorities that were interested in what appeared to be a very professional attempt to kill or capture me. Had there been fewer of us, we might have had to resort to lethal force. But having that many mages in one place was bound to be detrimental to the enemies plan.

Other places were attacked more directly by the werewolves. Mostly from the mercenary tribe as the primary antagonists were assaulting their long time blood enemies in Peter’s tribe. A stupid and wasteful pursuit that divided their forces needlessly. Worse, they left evidence of their atrocities. I have seen the pictures of half eaten cubs. This evidence has been added to the rather extensive file against them.

Where they had some success was in the abduction of some of my family. Again, they were targeting children. No doubt they thought it was poetic justice or something equally stupid. Or perhaps they thought to bring me to heel somehow. This is how little they understand me and my family.

The counter strike was immediate but it would be hours and days before its full force would be felt. In Eastern Europe hunters, shadow agencies and supernatural rivals received packets of information about members of the enemy werewolf tribe. While we were focused on finding our taken children, they were being hit on their home turf from multiple vectors.

It is the digital age. Where there are cameras, I have eyes. Where there are microphones, I have ears. Where there are speakers, I have a voice. Where there are screens, I can get my message out. Where there are computers, I can place malware.

Oh yeah, I had a lot of fun with the Malware thing.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Nemesis

Re: They Huffed and Puffed but They Couldn't Blow the Door D

Post by Nemesis »

So I guess I should explain what’s been going on with those of us who got taken on the 1st of June.

For a few weeks now I have been giving Minerva some instruction on hand to hand combat on Saturday afternoons. We met through her uncle and had gotten along from the start. We’re both intelligent and only a couple of years apart in age. We have a few things in common but it is our contrasts that I think make us such an interesting pair. I have short black hair and she has long blonde hair. My eyes are dark and hers are light. I’m very physical and she’s very cerebral. She grew up in a very stable family environment and I was trained in an institution without parents at all. She has brothers and I have sisters.

The most striking difference is that I am a mage and she is an anti-mage. While she does not have any flashy abilities, what she does is suppress all my mystical powers. I still have my training but otherwise, I’m a perfectly ordinary girl when I’m near her-unless I expend an inordinate amount of extra energy to compensate for her presence.

One might think that I would want to avoid contact with her, that being the case. The truth of the matter is that it is probably my favourite thing about her. I can pretend to be a perfectly ordinary girl with a perfectly ordinary life and ordinary friends and concerns. It is of course a fantasy and an illusion so it is no wonder it came crashing down on me.

Had my abilities not been suppressed, I would have sensed them coming before I saw them.

It was later in the afternoon and we were both leaving the gym chatting about the interactions of magic and psionics with the electromagnetic spectrum when her families car pulled up for us. “Would you like a ride home?” She asked as she opened the door.

We both spotted the problem more or less at the same time and reacted simultaneously. She tried to slam the door while stepping backwards. I reacted instinctively, drawing a specific hidden blade I carried for just such a situation.

A powerful and fur covered arm reached out from the limo and grabbed my wrist. Behind me, Minerva continued to back away while activating her ‘panic button’. The front passenger door was opening. I stabbed my blade into the wrist of the hand that held me.

There was a howl of pain that drew attention from nearby bystanders. I remember thinking it was odd that they were being so bold as to appear in a public crowded place in broad daylight. I twisted the blade before yanking it away. My hand now free, I too began to back away from our attackers. Minerva was reaching into her bag. A giant of a man was getting out of the front of the limo. Inside the limo, another beastly arm attached to a second hulking brute was holding up a taser.

And this is where I made a mistake. I forgot that Minerva was still very close by. It wasn’t that I wasn’t aware of her exact position. Indeed, I was manoeuvring myself between her and our adversaries. No, I forgot what Minerva’s proximity meant to my abilities. So I wiped my hand over the blood on the blade and chanted. I felt the mystic energies well up from within and then fizzle out, wasted.

Minerva pulled a pistol out of her bag. She put two suppressed rounds into the burly man’s chest. They both dropped to the ground after impact.

I went for my own pistol but was too slow as the taser lines bit into my chest and electricity removed motor control from my list of options.

Around us, people were starting to realize that something was going on.

The burly man lunged for Minerva but she ducked under and away from his malevolent embrace. Realizing that she wasn’t loaded for this sort of adversary, she changed her point of aim to the front tire of the car, deflating it instantly. Unfortunately it quickly resealed and re-inflated. She knew it would and was getting ready to puncture it again when the burly man finally grabbed onto her.

We were both disarmed tossed into the back of the car and it sped off.

They focused on immobilizing Minerva first as they expected the effects of the taser to last. I recovered quicker than they expected. With one hand I yanked out the taser barbs and with the other I went for my second blade which was swiftly inserted into the nearest enemy throat. I nearly sawed his head off before turning my attention to the next opponent.

Unfortunately the tight confines of the back of the limo favoured their strength over my agility and I was only able to kill one more were wolf (using a technique a friend had helped me develop) before they finally had me subdued and incapacitated.

They were quite thorough. They gagged and hooded us both. Then our wrists and ankles were bound behind our backs.

“That should stop the little witch from trying to hex us.” One of them mumbled. “She’s lucky we’re supposed to take them in good condition.” Then he kicked me in the gut.

Slowly and unseen thanks to the hood, my teeth began to chew away my gag.
Hi! I'm Cynthia and I am my mother's daughter.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Grace

Post by Grace »

While Matt’s house was being invaded, his family being attacked and my daughter and her friend Minerva were all being taken, my home and family were also being attacked. Ron was in the shop at the time and I was with the twins, putting them down for their nap.

They were both being fussy, refusing to sleep and while not quite crying, their faces were storming up quite a bit. Normally they never carry on without good reason. I was just coming to grips with the fact that I would probably wind up rocking them in my arms for most the afternoon when things all started happening at once.

My cell phone went off with a warning tone that told me that someone’s panic button had just gone off. And then it went off again as another panic button was activated. And again and again. I didn’t even have time to swear to myself before the home alarms went off.

At this point I didn’t know what was going on and didn’t have time to think. I immediately started the drills we’ve been rehearsing in the Grant home since the twins were born. I armed myself and then started putting the twins into a specially made and armored snuggly.

Checking the surveillance cameras on my phone told me that half a dozen were-wolves in hybrid form had entered the house downstairs and were quickly making their way upstairs. Ron would be on his way but I had to assume that he was being attacked at the same time. I could fight or I could run.

Even without the twins there was no guarantee I could win against so many. In fact it was quite doubtful. Whether I was wearing the twins or trying to protect them in a static location, I would be entirely too hampered to succeed. The only chance then was to retreat.

I activated the panic button and then called Ron on my hands free wireless.

“Darcy!” There was fear in his voice. “Are you and the twins alright?”

“We’ll meet you at the secondary RV.” I told him as I opened the window to the nursery. That reply told him that we were currently alright but on the move. The panic button also told him we were in grave peril. The request for the secondary RV told him that I would be coming in hot and expected to be pursued. It also told him that I thought our communications might possibly be monitored.

“Roger, I’ll be waiting.” His short response told me all that I would need to know. He understood my situation and would be ready by the time I got there.

I swung out the window and rappelled down using a rope stashed in the room for just such an emergency even as the wolves entered the nursery. One of them lunged for the rope to start hauling me back up but I cut the line and dropped the rest of the way to the ground. Like a cat, I landed on my feet and started running.

“What should I load for?” Ron’s voice asked in my ear.

“Wolves.” I told him. “At least six.” I hopped on the bike I had gotten so I could go for rides with him. There was no time for the helmet. I revved it and was gone so fast the front tire came off the ground.

I could hear him grabbing weapons, gear and ammo. “Be careful.” I told him. “They might be coming for you too.”

“I’ll take the secret way out.” He assured me. “See you soon.”

“Wouldn’t miss it.”

Behind me, they were all piling into van with black tinted windows. Moving fast, they were never noticed by my neighbors. If they were, then I doubt my neighbors believed what they were seeing. Perhaps they thought it was a publicity stunt or a movie shoot or something. Maybe they thought it had something to do with the garage band I sometimes sang for on the weekends.

We live in a world where monsters can be seen plainly and ignored easily. Worse, these fiends knew it and was using the public’s willful ignorance against us.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I suppose I should say something about what happened.

I’m really not sure how to describe how it unfolded for me. A lot of unrelated but urgent things happened to me that day – each time when I was out of the house for a walk.

The first of those events is best described in another thread, at the time things went south with these wolves, I was making my way home from the market with several shopping bags of some absolutely fabulous food items. An impromptu family celebration was planned for that evening and I was going to make a feast all would remember.

A chill ran down my spine after my phone’s alarm signal went off for the second time that way. In a moment my groceries were handed to a grizzled man sitting on a cardboard sheet. I yelled at him to ‘enjoy’ as I ran off.

I’ve run a lot in my life. I’ve run fast, I’ve run hard and I’ve run long. I don’t think I’ve ever run as fast and as hard for so long though. I twisted past pedestrians, leapt over benches and vaulted parked cars to shave any time off the trip back to Austin’s. My lungs burned in my chest, my pulse pounded in my ears and my vision blurred in front of me but still I pushed myself harder and faster. I had to get there.

Finally I rounded the corner and got a view of what was happening at Austin’s house. There were a couple of all black SUVs with darky tinted windows parked out in front with their motors running. A handful of men wearing what seemed to be SWAT uniforms at first glance were using the SUV’s as cover as they fired into Austin’s house. From the gunfire, explosions and general chaos of the sounds coming from inside Austin’s house, I knew there had to be more inside and that my loved ones were fighting back hard.

Having gone through one crisis that day already, I’d reached my breaking point. I felt my blood start to boil and I embraced the elemental energies. The sky began to darken while dust and scraps of paper wafted into the air. My hair began to drift in the gathering wind. I felt the storm within me translating to the storm without. The air itself was responding to my rage.

A couple of the gunmen noticed the sudden change in the weather and looked about, suddenly unsure of themselves.

It didn’t matter though. Even if they had figured it out, laid down their guns and surrendered, there was no going back anymore

I wasn’t myself anymore. I had become the storm and the only thing left for me to do was to pour forth my fury until nothing was left.

Hannah

PS: More later, unless one of the others who were there would like to finish this part
Last edited by Hannah on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be who I chose to be.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I suspect that Hannah is, in her way, reminding me that one should not lightly glaze over a battle of life and death as though it were no big deal. I will leave her to tell her part of the tale as I will leave Mel to tell hers (if she so chooses). Before I go on, I will relate a few events of interest to the telling of this tale.

My God-Father, as I have mentioned on occasion, is a dabbler in the mystic arts. Although recently one who would know called him out for being falsely modest for describing himself in such a manner. Modesty does have its tactical rewards as this story might well show.

Publicly Austin is a Psychologist of quite a bit of repute. He knows the human mind as well as I know machines. He also inherited a gift for the arcane from generations of mages before him. His combined studies make him a formidable opponent when he chooses to step out of his home and library.

His townhouse is built on what he refers to as a dragon line and he uses that geomantric line of power to fuel the defenses of his home. The reason that Hannah caught some of the mercenaries outside is that as soon as they forced open his door, they activated those defenses. Some of the men were suddenly afraid to enter. One found the arm he used to shoot with paralyzed. A couple just suddenly collapsed and began to snore. And naturally Austin was immediately made aware of their illegal attempt to enter the building. (As far as the authorities are concerned the mercenaries were taken down with experimental bio-weapons ranging from gases to directed energy attacks. Much the same happened at my place).

The assailants pushed deeper into the house while we prepared for an attack we now knew was coming. As they pushed past the front lobby, they activated still more of Austin's defenses though they didn't know it at the time. Some were now suddenly alarmingly unlucky. Others now have a new fear they didn't possess before but would soon be confronted with.

The deeper they came the more of these magic defenses they unwarily tripped.

Meanwhile we were using secret doors to go around them towards the basement. While there was a way to escape that way, mostly we wanted the confrontation to occur in the only area of Austin's town house not covered floor to ceiling with valuable and irreplaceable books.

And of course forcing them through the maze that was his house allowed more and more of them to be hobbled by unfriendly magics. By the time they caught up with us, many had succumbed to a magic that incapacitated them somehow and all of them were suffering some form of malady or curse.

They threw in the flash bangs first. Austin made them fizzle out and then returned the gesture with his own mystic versions. It caught the first couple of guys off guard and caused them to trip and land face first on the ground.

At that point it became a firefight as we lit into them with eclectic array of firearms. They of course were returning fire with most of their rounds hitting our improvised yet effective barricade. Mostly we were firing to provide cover for the mages as they worked spells to incapacitate our foes. We were aware at this point that we were confronting humans so we wanted both to limit the legal fallout and to interrogate them afterwards.

I don't know what spell Maddie was casting at the time but it was taking longer than the ones Mel and Austin were tossing out. It left her exposed for too long and none of us caught it as we were busy with our own tasks and survival.

Her father noticed it though. And when he saw one of the assaulters take aim for her, he charged. The bullet went into his chest. Apparently it shattered a rib, bounced around the lungs a bit before lodging into a vertebrae. Mercifully his death did not take long.

Maddie never finished her spell as she tried to catch her father as he fell. His lifeless eyes stared up at her and she began to cry, Shang joining her from his armored baby carrier nearby.

It is probably for the best that most of the enemy were already down at that point. I think we would have been much less merciful otherwise.

Certainly my sister Christina was not gentle when she reached into their minds to see if they knew anything about what had caused her youngest son to activate his panic button.

The enemy was cagey enough to keep these poor fools in the dark about the larger plan.

I realize that there's a lot of questions left about what was going on here. Such as why we were all at Austin's to begin with. That will have to wait and as Hannah alluded, will be a tale for another thread. Possibly Maddie will wish to tell that story herself in her own words.

In any case it's getting late and I'm getting the 'It's time to sleep buster' look.
Last edited by Cybermancer on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I think I'll post what happened next to Minerva and I before I go to bed.

Sorry if this is a bit back and forth but you must remember that all of these events were happening more or less at the same time.

We only drove a few blocks before stopping again. Not surprising since it was likely that the car as well as Minerva’s cell phone were both low-jacked. I knew mine was. Apparently they had counted on the phones as well as we were both searched and stripped down to our underwear. I was treated especially roughly. No doubt they were still sore about their fallen pack mates. Had they been smart and truly concerned for the members of their pack, they would have killed me while they still had me helpless.

Unceremoniously we were dragged out of the back of the limo and deposited on the cold metal floor of another vehicle. Based on the height we were lifted to, the metallic slam of the door and the whiff of diesel when the vehicle lurched forward, I guessed we were in an armoured security vehicle of some sort. Like the ones Brinks uses.

It wasn’t long before the vehicle stopped again and a third body was tossed in. They let out a soft moan that suggested they were male but they didn’t weigh much so I guessed they were probably younger than I was. They had been stripped in the same way Minerva and I had been.

Any chance of rescue at this point had been dramatically reduced and it was clear that our captors expected a heavily armed attempt at some point. There were at least four hybrid werewolves in the back of the truck with us and the smell of gun oil suggested they were well armed. If they were smart, there would be another two in human guise in the front and likely at least two more vehicles nearby full of well armed combatants.

The vehicle made its way through New York City traffic at the expected slow pace. I was sure that by this point the search for us would be on. At least once I thought I heard a helicopter pass by overhead. It didn’t provide me with any comfort. Without those tracking signals, they would never know what vehicle to zero in on. Or just as likely, they were being led away from us with best possible speed. Minerva herself could not be located via magical or psionic means and it was possible her presence would interfere with any attempts to locate me and whoever else it was in the back of the truck with us.

If we were to avoid further victimization, it would be up to us to get ourselves out of this situation. I had a pretty good idea of what Minerva could and couldn’t do. Over all she would be an asset so I would have to make sure any escape plans included her. The third party was an unknown. They could be an asset or a liability. I decided that I would attempt to free them as well and determine their value as soon as was convenient. But I was also prepared to abandon them if it wasn’t feasible to rescue them as well or if they proved to be a liability. But first was the problem of my own captivity.

I was certainly missing Mr. Baggins at that point. I had regretfully left him at home as I had found out from bitter experience that many places do not accept the presence of a ferret, no matter how cute or well mannered they might be. The prejudice is stifling, I assure you. They gym Victoria and I had been practicing at was one such short sighted place. I knew he was well and I knew that he was aware of my current distress in general terms, if not specifics. Hopefully he was being of assistance to anyone trying to mount a search for me.

Soon we were being removed from the back of the truck and carried in a rather undignified manner. Based on the sounds I could hear it seemed that were at the docks. As delicately as ever we were tossed into a cargo bay and left to our own devices. I could sense that Minerva was struggling with her bonds. The third unknown party sounded like they were crying. So much for them being an asset, I thought to myself as I continued to focus on chewing my way through the gag, spitting the bits and pieces out into the mask. My cheeks were covered with the wet bits.

Whatever sort of boat we were on, it was fast. And they really weren’t making allowances for their bound captives. It really was quite inconsiderate of them.

It’s impossible to know how long we were in that hold but it must have been hours. I wasn’t quite done with my gag when we were once more hauled away. This time we were deposited in the back of another motor vehicle. I guessed it was the back of a pick up truck. The trip suggested gravel or dirt back roads.

Finally my gag opened up, freeing my mouth. Now I could cast at least a limited selection of my spells again. Limited further by the fact that I couldn’t see anything. So the only magic I could cast would be on myself. And this time I would have to remember to compensate for Minerva’s presence. Thankfully our captors hadn’t thought to wash us off so I was still covered in the blood of their comrades.

I had to choose my first spell very carefully. I would be left all but drained when I was done casting and might not get a chance to cast again for an unknown period of time. The first and possibly only spell I would get to cast would have to be able to free me from my bounds and then allow me to fight toe to toe with physically powerful opponents.

The choice was an obvious one.

Well tomorrow is likely to be very eventful so like my future brother in law, I must now be off to sleep.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

I suppose that is Cybermancer's way of saying I should offer a bit more detail on what happened with Jinx and I. Well...

The short of it was I was getting out of the shower when this all went down. I was just about to get dressed when I saw a dark colored van pull up outside my house. Quickly, and in broad daylight, a group of lycanthropes - werewolves to be exact - came out in their hybrid form... and in broad daylight.

They broke in through my kitchen door after a few hard tries, even as multiple systems of alarms - mystical and otherwise - were going off. The few that tried to get through the windows had a shocking surprise to say the least. This all gave me enough time for my partner in crime and I to arm (and in my case, dress) ourselves. To say the least, they were in for a rude surprise.

We ambushed them the moment they started charging up the stairs with me laying down cover fire. They apparently knew well enough to know where we would be, and were brazen enough in their daylight attempt. I'm still surprised none of my neighbors saw them - or at least, reported seeing them. The consequences of a quiet neighborhood, I suppose.

A couple of the werewolves were actively casting spells in attempts to shield their comrades or, in one or two cases, fling bolts of energy or fire at us. Most of them were errant, thankfully, with the worst casualties being some scorched art and photographs and a few scrapes. Jinx went out the window to circle around as I laid down some illusions, distracting some of them.

It worked: Jinx managed to jump one of the shamans with a silver knife to the neck as I managed to drop one or two who passed by me thinking I had ran into the guest room. My abilities in a fight have improved in the past couple years - it doesn't hurt that magic helps me cheat a bit.

The second shaman however, was a bit more attentive; he knocked Jinx down, following up with a large slash against her arm, cursing and growling at her.

Before I could think, I hefted one of his fallen comrades up with magically augmented strength before flinging the furry corpse as hard as I could at the very surprised shaman. He took the blow before he could raise an arm to defend himself, flying and making a rather large hole in my living room wall. A few well placed shots from an enraged Jinx finished the encounter.

The house has since been cleaned up and the bodies dealt with. Really, it could have been far worse for us and we had it easy compared to some of the others. I'm starting to ponder if we might have to consider a more secure location though - I've had three attempted break-ins in a year.
Last edited by Gotham Witch on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

It hasn't been a typical year, Auntie Mel.

Anyway, on with the story and how we escaped and were eventually rescued. Much of the incantation was quiet but I deliberately shouted the last command word.

From the cab I could hear one of our captors exclaim to the other, “the witch is casting!”

Immediately the truck came to a sliding stop as they hit the brakes. No doubt hoping the sudden lurch would break up my spell. The spell that was already complete. I’m sure they also didn’t want to deal with a caster while in a moving truck. While it was painful being slammed against the front end of the trucks cargo bed, I was not deterred. I easily snapped the binds on my hands and feet. Then I yanked off the hood.

We were indeed in the back of a pickup truck. There was a topper on the back that had the windows heavily tinted. There was no ambient light telling me both that it was night time and that there was no nearby street lights. Still I wanted a better view so I wedged my fingers between the body of the truck and the topper than lifted with all my strength

in one quick motion. Almost without resistance the topper came flying off and collided with the truck behind us. The following truck had only narrowly avoided rear ending us, having been following too closely. Poor convoy discipline. The vehicle in front of us was only now starting to slow down. It was already nearly five hundred meters in front of us. Very poor convoy discipline.

The driver and passenger of the truck I was in had opened their doors and gotten out. They had already begun their transformation into their hybrid forms. No doubt they had expected me to consume time freeing my fellow prisoners or perhaps trying to dash out the back of the truck. But I happen to know that most were-beasts take about thirty seconds to transform, leaving them vulnerable as they do so. I pulled the silver underwire that supported my bra and leaped on the mutt on the driver’s side. I pulled my garrotte around his throat tight enough to decapitate him. His blood splashed against me and I drank in his power.

Unfortunately my garrotte snapped in the process of beheading the corpse I was riding to the ground. So I quickly wrapped it around my fingers to create an improvised set of silver knuckles. Then I was dashing over the truck to the passenger side where the other werewolf was just about done transforming. I smashed him in the skull repeatedly with all my might until it caved in and a man’s body fell to the ground at my feat. His blood and energy added to my power.

The two werewolves in the truck behind us completed their transformations and howled loudly, no doubt alerting the others in the vehicle in front of us that there was big trouble. Using the eldritch energy that now pulsed powerfully in my veins, I grabbed hold of one of their shadows with my mind and commanded it to attack it’s owner. That held him in check as he battled with his outer darkness.

Not wasting any more time the second of the pair came charging at me, bounding easily onto the back of the truck. Idiot should have tried shooting me instead. Or even better, turned out his vehicles headlights, eliminating the shadow that pinned down his partner. Werewolves are all about strength and reach. If they can’t grab a hold of you, they can’t do much to you. I wasn’t about to get cocky however. Strong as I was he might be stronger still. So I dodged to the side and slammed my fist into his back hard enough to splatter blood onto my face. He went down but didn’t stay there. Still he didn’t get far as shadows grappled him at my command.

I turned to see the two beasts from the lead vehicle loping towards me. One was only halfway there but the other was almost on top of me. While it was possible that he was just that much faster than his partner, it was safer to assume that one had paused to send out some sort of message to allies. I had to cut myself with the sharp edge of my silver wire to draw the blood needed to cast my next spell, bringing a cloak of darkness about my body. Not for the sake of modesty but so I could throw the cloak over the beast at the end of its charge. It’s yelp was cut short as it blinked from this plane of existence. Where it was now, was a cold miserable place of suffering. I could now deal with it later.

Inside the cab I spotted a shotgun. I didn’t have time to confirm if it was loaded with silver or not. I pulled it out and let the last wolf have it in the face. He let out a blood curdling scream that confirmed that they had anticipated they might have to fight other were-beasts at some point. So they had done their research. Good for them. I emptied the shotgun into the beast and then recharged myself on his dying release.

Reloading quickly I went back to where the other two were finally coming free of the shadows. I unleashed more shadows on the nearest one and then unloaded the shotgun into the other. Then I reloaded again, where the horrified wolf could watch as shadows beat on his hide. I took my time ending him before finally absorbing his power at the moment of his death.

Only now did I feel secure enough to release my fellow prisoners.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

I promised that I would post this, when I started writing it some days ago. Due to recent events, I likely wouldn't have posted at all, but I've been urged to do so, as it's been judged to be possibly therapeutic for me. Personally, I don't see how going over events again would be helpful, but I'm not a psychiatrist, and so for now will humour them.

---
The day had started out a decent one. I had had some good success with a couple projects I was working on in the morning, before meeting Nemesis in the afternoon for a sparing session. I don't usually care to spend time with mages or psychics, nor they with me, but Nemesis and I got along decently well since my Uncle had introduced us. I wasn't certain yet of his motivation, if he was trying to normalize one or both of us with the other, but she wasn't an annoying companion and I could have a fairly decent conversation with her so I went along with it for now.

We had just finished our sparing session and were on our way out of the gym, still speaking easily, when the car I was expecting drew up at the curb. Had I not been distracted with my conversation, I might have been more careful, as I reached for the door handle to pull the door open, rather then waiting for the driver to get out and do so. "Would you like I ride home?" I asked Nemesis, and she and I clearly saw the danger at the same time. I tried to slam the back door, even as I was backing away from the car, reaching into my bag for the "panic button" that my parents insisted I always carry.

I was unsurprised to see Nemesis quickly draw a blade, and she drove it into the wrist of the creature that had grabbed hold of her. The beast howled in pain, drawing the attention of others on the street, but I couldn't spare much concern for that at the moment as a huge man had gotten out of the front of the car, coming towards me. I knew I needed to get further away from Nemesis, so as not to interfere with her magic abilities, but everything was happening fat to quickly. I heard her try to cast as I drew my pistol from my bag and put two rounds into the big man's chest, with no effect. Swearing under my breath, I ducked away from his reach and then swore again when I saw them tase Nemesis. This was not going well. Quickly, I put a round into the front tire of the car and as it deflated and then re-inflated, I tightened my finger on the trigger to puncture it again. Too late, however, as the large man caught hold of me and tore the pistol from my grip.

Nemesis and I were both thrown roughly into the back of the limo, and they foolishly focused on subduing me, rather then Nemesis. That mistake cost them two of their number, before they subdued her again. They were quite through now, gagging us both and covering our heads with dark hoods, before binding our wrists and ankles behind our backs.

I stopped struggling, not willing to pointlessly waste my energy, and instead focused on listening to our captors and noting the shifting of the car as corners were turned, trying to keep track of where we were being taken. They would make a mistake sooner or later, this kind always did, and when they did, I'd be ready for it.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I won't say much about my 'father's' death. He cast me out of our home and was in many ways responsible for who and what I was.
"After Hiroshima was bombed, I saw a photograph of the side of a house with the shadows of the people who had lived there burned into the wall from the intensity of the bomb. The people were gone, but their shadows remained."

-Ray Bradbury
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Mads,

Who and what you were made you who and what you are, which has turned out pretty awesome in my mind.

Anyway, I don't really remember a lot of what happened next. There was the roar of wind, the rush of the rain, the flash of lighting and the booming of thunder. I was channeling so much energy through me I couldn't feel myself anymore.

Then there was a sound that cut through it all. Not just a sound, a word . . a voice . . . a voice that reminded me of all I was and who I was.

"
Hannah!"

It was Matt, yelling at me, his voice barely audible above the Storm, but still cutting through it clearly.

I felt my feet come to rest on the ground again. The rain and wind stopped. The clouds cleared.

I looked around, the SUVs had been flipped over, some of the figures that had sheltered behind them were still pinned beneath. Another gunman limply dangled in the branches of an old oak, the only tree int he block to have survived the windstorm. For as far as I could see in either direction were broken branches, cracked windows and downed power lines.

"
Hannah."

Matt was cautiously approaching.

"Yeah." my mind was still trying to piece together what happened.

"
Are you okay?" he asked, still getting closer, the worry on his face.

I thought for a moment. "If you are . . . then yeah."

He caught me as I tipped over.

Hannah.

PS: Yeah I was fine, just over tired, they had me all right again in time to head down to the Beltway the next morning, which is a whole other part of the story.
Last edited by Hannah on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad I'm on Hannah's side.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

The adults in my life are still encouraging me to continue writing this up and posting it, for closure. So I'm still working on it, for now.
---

They didn't drive for long, however, soon stopping to search us more thoroughly. They stripped us down to our underclothes, and then we were taken from the limo and tossed into the back of another vehicle. The scent of diesel was unpleasant, but there was nothing to be done as yet other then wait for opportunity. The truck stopped again, shortly, surprising me, and I frowned when our captors tossed in a third person. I didn't like unknown elements, but again, all I could do at the moment was wait. I knew that Nemesis would be planning and awaiting a chance to act, as well.

After a time we were all removed from the back of the truck and transferred to what seemed to me to be a boat. I could smell and hear water, as well as the cries of sea birds. Our captors left us in the cargo hold, and when they were gone, I shifted and twisted, attempting to free myself. The beasts were proficient at knot tying, however, and I was unable to get free, though I did loosen my bonds slightly. After a few hours this time, we were retrieved from the hold and once more tossed into a vehicle of some kind.

I wasn't extremely worried, as yet. I knew my family would be looking for us, and I knew they had an excellent chance of finding us. If whomever had sent the beasts had wanted us dead, would be dead already, so I didn't see any reason to fear just yet. We still had time, and I still had Nemesis. Getting her unbound would be my priority, when I had opportunity.

Nemesis, however, made her own opportunity, and I heard her begin to mutter a spell. I shifted, trying to move further away from the sound of her voice, and the truck jerked to a stop, out captors rushing to stop Nemesis from casting.

I wasn't able to see what happened next, but I could clearly hear the sounds of combat. The howls and snarls of the beasts, the roar of a shotgun and screams of pain. Everything went silent suddenly, and I waited, tensing, until I felt a hand touch my back. I relaxed slightly and Nemesis cut me free, helping me rid myself of the hood and gag and stand. She was a mess, cloaked in shadows and covered in blood and gore, but really, nothing I hadn't seen before. My father is a demon hunter, after all, and a very good one at that.

"You look a mess, dear," I commented evenly, glancing around at the area.

"You should see the six other guys," Nemesis replied, as she moved to unbind and unhood the third person who'd been captured with us.

"I only see five," I replied, looking around again, and then was distracted as the hood came off to reveal my younger brother. "Jaden!" I gasped, hurrying forward to get the gag off of him, checking him over carefully for injury. He was distressed, naturally, and his fear and tears caused rage to burn in my chest and throat. I hadn't taken the capture personally, really, this sort of thing happened and you dealt with it. But now, I was angry. When Nemesis mentioned that she had one of the beasts captive, my first - non rational response - was, "Kill him."

Jaden's eyes went wide at that as he looked up at me, gasping, and I reined myself in with an effort. "Or we could interrogate him I suppose.”
I exchanged a look with Nemesis, and then took a pistol from one of the dead beasts and urged Jaden away
and behind me, as Nemesis' spell ended and the creature reapeared. It took some time, but the beast did eventually break, thanks to prudent applications of Nemesis' magic. I was glad that I didn't have to do it, not because torture bothered me, but I wouldn't have wanted my brother to see that. After we had all we wee going to get from the creature, I exchanged another look with Nemesis, and then urged Jaden away to help with gather supplies from the trucks.

Nemesis disposed of the beast while we were doing so, as I knew she would, and I kept Jaden distracted with getting dressed in the clothing we found and bundling up the supplies.

I wanted to leave the trucks and set out on foot into the bush, but Jaden complained about the idea of walking and even Nemesis suggested taking one of the trucks and just off-roading it. I shook my head slightly, frowning. It would just leave a trail for them to follow, but for the time being, it might give us a head start. Being the only one who could drive, I climbed in behind the wheel. Jaden settled himself in the middle, doing up his seat belt and I fought back a snort of amusement when he asked Nemesis if she wasn't going to buckle her own belt. "Leave it alone, Jaden," I told him quietly. I needed Nemesis more easily able to move and react, after all. Backing up, I turned the truck and drove it into the bush and the unknown.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Thank you for posting Minerva. I know it must be tough for you with your recent loss.

And Adults are pushy. I find it best to just humor them.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Yes, Nemesis, it is hard right now. I find I have a hard time forcing myself to do anything, let alone write this up and post it. My younger brother has been inconsolable. I am still working on what happened to us next.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

If you need anything, please let me know.
Defunct the strings
Of cemetary things
With one flat foot
On the devil's wing
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Minerva, it's always going to be hard when this sort of thing happens, but believe it or not, that's a good thing.

When it becomes easy, then you start tuning into one of them.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

All things considered Minerva, you handled it better than I probably would have at your age.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

It was and still is an emotional time for all of us. And it's been a bit busy lately. Still, we should be finishing relating all of this shortly.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Yes, we should.

I'm trying to convince Peter and MJ to write some of what happened in Washington.

Hannah
freerunner92

Post by freerunner92 »

Hi everyone.

This is MJ, I’m logged into Peter’s account to add a little bit to this. I’m sorry if what I say makes little sense, I’m not very good at computers or spelling.

I know everyone is wondering why the Zarathians sent their first groups in the daytime. Well I have an answer for you. You see the Zarathians considered you a bunch of secondary targets. Their primary target, my Tribe, we tend to sleep during the day because we like to operate at night. So by attacking us in the day, they hoped to catch us napping, literally. They knew you were our friends and they didn’t want you to warn us or get warning so they went after you at the same time.

Pack hunters, they like to co-ordinate like that.

Their plan almost worked, but fortunately they weren’t counting on a couple of things. First they underestimated you and sent a bunch of second stringers after you. Second, well, second they didn’t know about me.

Well that’s not right, I’m sure they knew about me, but they didn’t know what was really going on with me. You see, use jags, we aren’t so different from you, even though we are really different than you.

I told you I might make no sense.

Anyway, sometimes us jags, we’re born a little different. We are everything all the other jags are, though were usually a little smaller and a little weaker, but we have other gifts.

Now strictly speaking I’m not supposed to say this sorta stuff, but right now I would strongly prefer the council to go fuck themselves with something sharp and rusted so I’m gonna let this slip.

I’m a psychic, like some of y’all.

Of course we don’t use that word, we call our gifted ones Shamans.

Thing is, all the Shamans were wiped out in the Tribe a generation ago, when we had another war with the Zarathians. So they thought we were all out.

We kinda were actually, aside from Peter, nobody else in the Tribe knew that sometimes I saw things. So as far as the Tribe knew, we didn’t have any Shamans any more neither.

About a week before the attack, I started having the dreams about stalking wolves. At first I was able to ignore them, but they got worse. They wolves went from stalking me to chasing me. These dreams would wake me up, but I’d, with a bit of trouble, would get back to sleep again.

Then the dream came, the wolves were chasing me, running me down. Finally they caught up with me and pounced . . .

I sat bolt upright and looked around, tying to remind myself I was safe, with the Tribe. One of our Tribe named Marco had been sleeping next to me. He woke up from my movement.

“Bad dream, gatito?” he asked as he rose beside me.

“Sí, amados.” I replied.

“Let’s get some air then.” He said, rising and gesturing for me to follow. He led me towards the roof, obviously the intention was to bask in the sun and let it warm us back to sleep.

Just before we stepped out onto the roof he placed his hand in front of me, signalling a stop.

I waited silently; Marco was a veteran of many hunts and one of our best trackers. He would tell me when he knew what was going on.

He tested the air a few times before looking to me. “Lobos malvodos.” He said in a low growl. “Warn the others.” Then he turned and slipped silently out the roof hatch, shifting forms as he went.

I hurried down to the rest , hoping that we could get back in time to help Marco.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I feel I should respond a bit to MJ's post.

First of all, welcome to the boards MJ and thank you for posting.

While I knew some of this and other things as well, regarding MJ and Peter's tribe, I have remained silent about it as I was honoring agreements with the tribe. I will continue to honor those agreements, so there will be some limitation to what I can publicly report or respond to in this course.

I do have concerns about you being overly confrontational with your council MJ although I wholly understand it as well. I will deflect as much as I can and hope that there is room for understanding given your situation.

Return to “War Stories”