New guy and questions about silver

A place to seek help, or to offer services, dealing with the paranormal.
Cowardly Leon

New guy and questions about silver

Post by Cowardly Leon »

Uh, Hi.

Look, I'm not really what you would call a "Field" kinda guy.
I was that shy nerdy guy that everyone either ignored or picked on in high school... the kind with that unhealthy intrest in things like the Anarchist's Cookbook and Books on artillery.
Fortunately I never got to the point where I hurt anyone, an encounter with the supernatural brought that to an abrupt end. Maybe after I feel more comfortable with the people here I may tell you the whole story but for now I just wanna let you know that the people I've hooked up with and I have been doing ok with our own investigations.
I find myself in the position of... well, they jokingly call me "Tech Support" but I think Armorer is a better term.

They've kinda been bugging me about making Silver Bullets and I've kinda been trying to figure that one out.

So far we've managed to snag... obtain a significant amount of silver in the form of cutlery and Jewlery during other investigations and I have some experience in making standard slugs... but I could use some advice on this.
Do the bullets have to be pure silver?
Can they be Silver-plated?
Silver-Core?
Or silver-tipped?
How much trouble will it be to melt the silver down and pour it into the molds in comparison with more standard materials like lead?

Any advice will be appreciated on this as the only rounds I can think of making with minimal fuss is silver buckshot and eve a sawed-pff shotgun is hard to conceal... and twice as hard to explain to the authorities if found.
I do believe in spooks... I do I do I do beleive in spooks. ...Then again I also believe in superior firepower, advanced tactics and the insidiously inventive cleverness of mankind.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Well, first off I'd like to say that if you've survived the Anarchist's Cookbook, you've impressed me.
Anyways, since I'm more on the using weapons end instead of the making them, I can't really help you much. But I do recall something Mr. Darkhold said a few days ago. He read in a book that pure silver, instead of something like sterling silver, has similar properties to lead. Needless to say, this means that pure silver bullets will work a good deal better.
And yes, the real problem with any type of sivler or non-standard ammo, is it makes it a LOT easier to track someone down, simply because of what it is.
Overspecialization leads to getting the crap beaten out of you.
Unreliable backup leads to getting thrown through a shed.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Ellie wrote:Well, first off I'd like to say that if you've survived the Anarchist's Cookbook, you've impressed me.
Yea, it seems to be more dangerous to the reader than anyone else ;)
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

In my experience, the easiest effective silver round is a straight silver composition. The purer the silver the better.

Silver plating is a little tricker, and you might leave the silver inside the barrel instead of sending it along with the bullet.

Silver tip has the problem that soemtimes only the small silver tip penetrates and the bulk of the bullet gets left on the outside.

Silver core has the problem that unless you expose the tip, the bullet might not penetrate.

Some like the idea of suspending a silver solution in DMSO - I don't. No garuntee that when it goes splat on the surface that it will get absorbed through tissues that don't always behave according to the standard rules.

Myself, when I have the time to spare, I go with silver cored with an exposed core at the tip. The core is signifigant enough masswise to penetrate deep even if the rest of the bullet gets left on the outside. Also slightly cheaper than straight silver.

And congrats on surviving the Cookbook.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Cowardly Leon

Post by Cowardly Leon »

"Well, first off I'd like to say that if you've survived the Anarchist's Cookbook, you've impressed me. "
"Yea, it seems to be more dangerous to the reader than anyone else "
"And congrats on surviving the Cookbook. "

Thanks for the concern and congratulations but I have to admit that my surviving the cookbook is more because I'm by no means a brave person.
I know and have no problem with knowing that I'm a coward at heart.
What I found in the cookbook I double checked and researched in the local library before even concidering attempting.
Believe me... I've also heard stories about all the people who tried those 'recipies' without any fear that some bozo edited the information. I suppose my cowardice is what makes my team trust me... they know that I'm the one that can be counted on to do the 'smart' or 'cautious' thing.

Thanks for the advice on the silver though. I've already managed to secure some time in the school's metalshop to attempt to purify the silver I already have in my possession. After that I'll try making some simple revolver rounds and see how that goes.

ONe of my brainier friends mentioned electroplating might be a way to go and is in the process of trying it out to coat one of his his hunting knifes.
Has anyone out there tried or had any success with electroplating?
I do believe in spooks... I do I do I do beleive in spooks. ...Then again I also believe in superior firepower, advanced tactics and the insidiously inventive cleverness of mankind.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

We have had a discussion previously that may help you.
viewtopic.php?t=6&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have talked to my armourer about this and he sounded like Ron, speaking in Russian, of course...
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Kolya wrote:We have had a discussion previously that may help you.
viewtopic.php?t=6&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have talked to my armourer about this and he sounded like Ron, speaking in Russian, of course...

I find Silhouette's idea about the rosary beads very interesting. I had thought about wooden shot for a shotgun, but I hadn't thought of rosary beads.
I'll have to see about getting some of those. If I ever get my own shotgun.
Tabloid Hound

Post by Tabloid Hound »

At the risk of sounding uneducated I have to ask, what is the cookbook?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, and much more terrifying."
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

It has been awhile since reading The Anarchist Cookbook. Let me take a stab at it.

It is a compilation of articles and instructions about fighting (some taken straight from US military manuals available to the public), explosives, improvised weapons, and general living in fear of the US government.
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

This might be of some use to you...

and from one coward to another, greetings.
I'm not dead yet.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

ROBIN!!! You're alive!!! What happened?!?!

Delta Sierra
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

to be honest, I don't really know... one day I was sitting there, recovering from three broken ribs and the usual cuts and bruises given me by a giant mantis thing with a serious case of BO and its zombie minions, the next thing I know it's two months later and I'm waking up in a hospital bed, fighting off a zombie nurse trying to keep me in a drug coma... that was about a week ago. Now I'm shacked up in some shabby apartment with a weekly rate cause my mom won't let me in the house anymore, and things only get weirder from there: several of my online friends are talking with me like I've finally come and seen them in person in the past couple weeks, and somehow I managed to sign up for something called JobCorps while Nurse Brain-grub had me narced into a coma... and I thought the constant stream of beasties passing through my backyard was weird.

The disturbing thing (other than my doppelganger apparently being back) is that the nurse seemed to be the same flavor of zombie that attacked me while I was down in Ava tracking down my old friend (who I now have to track down AGAIN since he's disappeared while I've been under >.<)... still breathing, still physically alive, but with a big ugly bruise under her nose from when the grub crawled up it and ate her brain or whatever it does, plus the standard Big Bad vibes. And if we've got Braingrubs up here now, then that means we've got their mother, Stinky. Which leads us to the bad part: we blew up an entire shack full of assorted explosives on Stinky's head down in the woods outside of Ava... if it managed to survive that and follow us here, just how am I supposed to kill it now, with just me and my shotgun available?

anyway, I've been kind of headachey lately... think the drugs still haven't quite all cleared out of my system... think I'll go lie down now...
I'm not dead yet.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Basic tactics for ya - if standing and fighting won't work, run like your ass is on fire.

Delta Sierra
Cowardly Leon

Post by Cowardly Leon »

Your advice reminds me of my favorite T-Shirt

"BOMB SQUAD: If you see me running, try to keep up."
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I love that shirt. And I think that if I saw the likes of Caliburn running, I would try to keep up.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I'd try to run faster.
concrete_Angel

Post by concrete_Angel »

But remember, you don't have to fun the fastest, just faster than your companions.
You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings
You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Everything that you feel
Is everything that I feel
So when we dream
We shout....
Last Moon

Re: New guy and questions about silver

Post by Last Moon »

I believe that Mr. Caliburn has, once again, provided most of the necessary answers, but to summarize, when it comes to bullets, you need the silver to be as pure as possible and you need some form of jacket to protect the barrel of the weapon from the silver.

When it comes to hand weapons, again as pure silver as possible, though this is rather expensive and does not work well when the weapon is designed to bend or flex to any degree. Electroplating is more effective here than it is with bullets as long as the coating is durable and can hold an edge, Tipping or edging the weapon with silver is another cost effective option.

Return to “Classifieds”