Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Robyn

Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden

Post by Robyn »

I have said before that I have observed good and evil to be word icons that reflect the users personal ethos and views.

Yet so many seem to believe that these things, good and evil, exist as actual forces that I am forced to consider the matter with more depth.

I do not use such word icons to describe myself. I do however, have ethics. My core ethos can easily be described in three sentances.

Preserve Human life.

Help others.

Preserve my own existence.

Some would describe the above as 'good' yet there is lattitude enough to perform acts some would describe as 'evil'.

What are your definitions of good and evil?
Grace

Re: Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden

Post by Grace »

I didn't used to believe in good and evil. What was, was.

I'm changing my views these days although I'm still not sure I'm the best to define these things.

Right now I'm just working on doing things I can live with.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Shang Li

Post by Shang Li »

All that anyone can ask for, or do.
Understanding, is not a thing that comes swiftly, but rather in stages, a journey that once begun, must be seen to it's end.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Shang Li wrote:

All that anyone can ask for, or do.

I respectfully disagree. It's a start, I suppose but more can be asked and often is. More can be done, and often is.

There are many things I can live with. Both in myself and in others. I hold myself to a higher standard than just being able to live with my actions and choices. I think that many do, even when they don't realize it.

And anytime that disappointment is expressed at anothers behavior, there was an expectation that was not met. Even if not voiced, more was asked of the person involved.

We sometimes fall short of our expectations of ourselves. We sometimes fall short of the expectations of others. The important thing is to try again and again until we get it right.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

here is something my father told me, before I was fostered. Evil is a kind of extreme selfishness. it can not see any thing buatul or valuable for there artistic marret. they are all things to be posed of possible destroyed if not to keep any one else form owning the item.

as for all of our actions even the best actions can have unintended consonances. Ever action courses a reaction.

so when faced with a decision a man looks at the best information he can. and he tries to make the best decision possible. and he lives with the consonances of his decisions, right or wrong every day for the rest of his life
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I have a deep, intimate, and passionate loving relationship with the English language. We love the things we love, however, when we love their flaws.

English simply does not have adequate terminology for these concepts. This is a good example. I never cared for "good" as an appositive to "evil". It seems to me that "good" describes a pasta dinner with a nice vintage of wine, not the opposite of a serial killer-cult leader-werepig. I prefer to use the term "heroic".
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Clarity

I’m not sure either, Mr. RAVEN

Post by Clarity »

_____Hi, Mr. RAVEN. What is the opposite of a “serial killer-cult leader-werepig?” The only thing I can think of is “not a” serial killer-cult leader-werepig. Where did you meet your serial killer-cult leader-werepig? I think whoever thought up the English language was very smart, but also a little silly, too. (No offense to whoever that was.) It has lots of big words that I don’t understand. Hannah gave me a little dictionary book to look words up that I don’t know.
_____P.S. I use it every day.
_____P.S., again. Hannah builds delicious pasta that’s also very yummy. I still help leave a mess when I eat it, though.
_____P.S, again, again. I don’t know where I heard any definitions of good and evil. Any monsters out there in the world that try to hurt or eat people are evil, I think. And I think people are good when they try to help people without hurting others. Is that okay for a definition?
Last edited by Clarity on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Good and evil are hard to define and we have been trying to do so since the time of the great Greek pholisaphers. so I guess I will make a try

on of the best ways to define evil I have ever heard is, that evil is and extreme selfishness. Evil can not look at any thing buitful or rear or Valuable and aprestat it for the sake of its workmen ship, or its buity. The only see something and want to posses it for them selves and not to share it with others. if they can not have it for them selves they would rather destroy it so that no one else can have it...

Evil can also be defined as any misfortune that befalls you.. you fall down the stares and brake your leg you have suffered an evil. War is an example of an evil..

good, well it can be seen in random acts of kindness. The boy scout helping an old lady to cress the street, taking time to listen to a friend when hes having problems at home.

I think evil acts are just about any thing you do not want someone to do to you.
and good acts would be just about any thing you do want some one to do to you
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Way I see it, they're just labels.

Good
Evil
Straight
Gay
White
Black
Puritan
Witch
Angel
Demon
Alive
Dead
Friend
Foe
Absolute
Relative
Fundamentalist
Moderate
Liberal
Conservative
Free
Slave
Chaos
Order

Just labels. Make of them what you will.

All I know is that Infernals gotta be killed and I'm the one that's gotta kill 'em.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

I agree Diachan, that they are merely world-icons or labels. Nevertheless, I am interested in hearing everyone's definitions of those word icons.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Daichan, isn't infernal just another label?

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Daichan

Post by Daichan »

Yeah. So is butt whuppin'.

Sucks to be them.

Return to “Philosophers Corner”