Kinetics.

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Razor

Thread Necromancy

Post by Razor »

Duuuuude, this is a serious case of thread necromancy. Anyway... I recently found out a couple of other favorite longarms. For example the SKS rifle, not the assault rifle. Good accuracy, excellent action, and very reliable. The assault version is also good, but again, the more moving parts, the more problems that can happen.
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Please don't use the N-word. There have been way too many dead guys runnin' around this Halloween.
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

Haha! GMTA Willie, I was just gonna say that.
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

SKS is a good little carbine Light, easy to use, cheap. Somewhat limited in magazine capacity (unless you can get a few modifications done).

The round sit fires are reasonably effective when it comes to to toros hits on human sized creatures or smaller, but lack the penetration to reach the vitals of the real baddies. That, combined with the mentioned low magazine capacity means it will be dificult to stop a tough, determined monster with that thing.

Nice gun, shortcomings aside.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
SensorArray

Post by SensorArray »

A shotgun is probably the most versatile thing you can have. Shotgun shells are easily reloaded and can very easily be adapted to carry special loads. Considering the number of things out there with an adversion to fire, shells loaded with white phosphorus can come in handy.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Don't forget the old trick of rock salt there are more than a few things out there that have is a major problem with salt not to mention its a good way of dealing with more mundane opponents without doing something to final.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

SensorArray wrote:A shotgun is probably the most versatile thing you can have. Shotgun shells are easily reloaded and can very easily be adapted to carry special loads. Considering the number of things out there with an adversion to fire, shells loaded with white phosphorus can come in handy.

Someone's been reading my playbook.

Delta Sierra
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

I been wonderin', Ron. Could you modify your Piece so it fits on your Saiga like a grenade launcher? You'd be able to respond to conventional or unusual targets without having to change weapons.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
http://usashaolintemple.org/
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

While I suppsoe it would be possible to modify the Piece and the Saiga to hook together like that, though the Piece'smain advntage is being both powerful and compact. I tend to use it in places where I can't fit my Saiga as well as agains enemies my Saiga don't hurt. I think the speed advantage of just changing grip migh be countered by th weight and bulk disadvantage in a close range conflict. I also like being able to wield Piece and Blade at the same time.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Have you ever looked into turning your Blade into a Bayonette? Or fashioning another weapon to use as a bayonette? I'm not sure how the modifcations would work on the technical end.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

That would take a fair bit of work and I doubt I would slide it on the end of the Saiga unless I was up against something wiht a reach advantage.

In that case, I'd be standing back and shooting anwyay.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

I've had to use the bayonette on my M16A1 quite a few times. Usually when I'm attacked while reloading. Othertimes I've had my back up against a wall and I couldn't move out of the melee range of whatever it is that was trying to kill me at the moment.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The nature of the contacts I have, I usually don't have reason to ready the bayonet in advance, and it's not wise to try to slide it on during the fight.

Besides, I'm a better knifefighter than I am a bayonet fighter.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Having gone through Basic I'm pretty adept at bayonette fighting so I have my bayonette affixed when I'm using my rifle unless I'm using the under barrel grenade launcher. Considering the number of knives I have its a pretty easy precaution for me to take. The biggest question is what kind of knife I'm attaching. Silver plated? Iron? Wood? Ti? Steel? Fortuneately 99% of the time I know what I'm up against before I step foot outside my home.
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Ron Caliburn wrote:While I suppsoe it would be possible....

Or instead of modifying the Piece, build a second one; designed to mate to the Saiga or the MC-51.
Bert_the_Turtle

I had an idea to reinvent a handgun used in the American Civil War that fired standard rounds but had a second barrel and chamber that fired the period's equivalent of a shotgun shell.

I imagine a similar design, if retooled with today's advances in firearms would be very potent.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

There are a number of longarms available with 12 guage and .223 on the same package.

I imagine a repeating handgun wiht a hot .25 or .32 load and a 20 guage chamber could do fairly nicely without haing more recoil than you'd care to handle.

Of course, at that point, you might as well be carrying a .44 magnum or greater handgun anyway.

Delta Sierra
Holister

Post by Holister »

Howdy from Maine

First of all, let me start off by saying, bless all you law biding, gun toting, IRA card carrying members of there in the agency. Second, as a law enforcement personnel, I have to say if most of yall ever got caught with half the firepower yall talking bout you'ld get hard time for possession of illegal firearms, specially full autos and semiautos, explosives,
grenade launchers, AP rounds, etc.
Now a days with Homeland Security breathing down the necks of everyone licesned to carry a pice, and nit pickin each and every gun club and shop round the country, we all gotta make due. Being in the law enforcement business here's what I prefer, and it'ld keep you under the radar (pending if you are licensed);

1) Handgun - DOMESTIC people...anything foreign and the FBI and ATF wll be breathing down your neck faster than a retreiver on a dead duck. Think 9mm Browing HP or a good ol' Colt .45 M1911 or a M1911A1 (extended rounds).

2) Longarms - Think SHOTGUNS. They are versitile, easy to replace, plenty of ammo, and few guestions at the counter. My prefrence in this matter is the Winchester (its good, reliable, and a name you can trust). I personally own a modified model 12 SPAS with a pistol grip on the pump slide for extra stability and easy slide reloading.

3) RIFLES - go with something versitle, inexpensive, and convienant like a 30.06 hunting rifle. For those with a it more sophicated pallet, I pesonally recommend the Model 350 RAI Convertible Longe Range Rifle (over 4000' range, great stopping power, and nice stability when firing). A good targetting sight is recommended, but nothing too high tech or the feds get nosy.

4) Automatics - Take note people..automatics are illegal and so are most semi autos as well. If you have police or military connections you might pull it off. Even converted semi auto rifles are watched with scutinty. So I suggest once again something doemstic and common like a converted M-16 or better yet (my personal favorite) a M16 Colt Commando. Its smaller, light weight, and packs the same punch.

5) Close Quarter Combat - You really do not want to go melee combat with the supernatural. This is good advice and a philosophy I have grown to respect. If you shoot something more than twice, specially with a high caliber firearm, and its still breathing. You better get the heck out of dodge cause your next on the dinner menu. Personally I carry a good survival knife with the serrated edge and a sharp blade. Its got a good 12" blade. I also suggest the ol standbys; Spades, axes, pybars,
tire irons, and my favorite...the chainsaw. Nothing says " Thank You Ma'am " like a chainsaw to the neck of some nightmare thing from Hell.

Well thats all I gotta say bout it er now...and I don't care who yer are...that's some good commentary.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Razor

All Well And Good

Post by Razor »

Those are all well and good suggestions, Ben. I do agree with it. I also wonder what you and Ron would have to say about a 7-Mag rifle. A friend of mine recommended them for accuracy and range. It's a small caliber with high penetration, but I don't know about stopping power or knock-down. Personally, I don't care about either, so long as I can get the bullet to stay in. Perhaps Ron... you could make me some of your ... basically Lucky 7's? (Silver center bullets)
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Yeah, good range and good penetration abound in that one. As long range rifles go it's fairly light and handy too.

I rarely get to work at long range so I don't typicaly get much use for a gun like that.

I'll put together some lucky 7s for ya, at cost as usual. I'll PM the details.

Delta Sierra
Crosshair MT

Post by Crosshair MT »

Sorry Holister I do try to follow the law but at times I need more than conventional firepower and have full auto weapons and some explosives. I do not make excuses for this, where I am from I needed these items. With what I have encountered here I belive I need them on a limited bases.

As to card carring yes I have a conceled carry permit in my state and have supported the NRA, but I do not try to fool myself into ignoring what does work and save lives.
There will always be a reason to fear the unknown, fear is a good way to ground yourself in reality, or at least the part of it that leaves you sane. ( Funny term for those of us that deal with the supernatural.)
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Holister wrote:4) Automatics - Take note people..automatics are illegal and so are most semi autos as well.

Semi-autos illegal? You must be trippin'. ;) What they need to watch out for when they're modifying long arms is barrel lengths. Smoothbore barrels have to be 18 inches and rifled barrels 16 inches, unless they've paid the stamp tax.

I'm also not sure about the F.B.I. flipping over foreign pistols when they issue Glocks to every agent.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
Willie Long

Re: Kinetics.

Post by Willie Long »

(Man this thread is old.)

I picked up a new rail accessory: a blue-green laser sight by Wilks. I used to use a Streamlight TLR-2, but it was damaged in a gunfight with OG Darknyht.

It never did zero properly, anyway.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

[Robyn]

Do you suppose this thread is constantly resurrected because it was started by someone called 'Cybermancer'?
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Grace

Post by Grace »

What kinda guns do I like to use?

Depends on what I'm killing.

What kinda ammo do I like to use?

Depends on what I'm killing.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
John Doe

Post by John Doe »

I don't use guns. Though I am reconsidering.

I use what ever is at hand; chains, planks, pipes, knives, shives, baseball bats with little nails in them, and my favorite the 2x4 or for those hard to reach places the 4x4..hardwoods work best. :twisted:

The only thing I keep on hand regularly are my custom made knuckle dusters soild silver baby with the little spikes on them. sweet. I also have a piece barbed wire I made into a garrote to keep the screamers good and quiet. :twisted:
"Give me a damn good reason why I should let you walk away from this on your own two feet."
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

:roll: Ok someone has some major issues.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Damn amatuers.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
John Doe

Post by John Doe »

Shadowstalker wrote::roll: Ok someone has some major issues.

You have no idea. :lol:
"Give me a damn good reason why I should let you walk away from this on your own two feet."
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

I prefer melee weapons to firearms.

Though its probably cause I'm a lousy shot. :wink:
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD