Because I'm New 'Round Here

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Serpens Walker

Re: Because I'm New 'Round Here

Post by Serpens Walker »

Some prices are too high, though... well. My research generally suggests more research is needed. She's extended her life for hundreds of years through her craft, and... well. She ain't human anymore. Not even approximately. She's a monster with a pretty face.

Maybe it's just because I get along so poorly with people that I give monsters a chance. Maybe I worry that I'm more like them than people because a few of them really like me. And maybe I'm ok with that because it works for me.

I gotta believe, though... even when it'd be easier not to. I've got to believe that everyone has something good in them, something that deserves to exist, because the day I stop believing that... I don't even want to think about who I would be that day.
"Anyone who does not partake of society is either a beast or a god." — Aristotle
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

we do have to keep or humanaty about is though with some of what we face we can not truly kill. one can not kill a demon after all. if you destory the body you merely destroy its anker to our world, and it goes back to where ever it came form. it can come back or be called back and when it gets back it may well want revenge. that could be 5 min form when you "killed it" or 500 years later
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

A Fleshsculptor? That's the third one mentioned here in the last few months.

Rowan has one or something similar to one that caused here some sort of problem in the past.

Mel and I tangled with one in New York last fall.

Now this one.

Hannah
I will be who I chose to be.
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Sparing a lot of details, I know the one he's referring to. She's the hermity sort, thankfully.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

She's a lovely lady if you can get past the creepy part.

Lord. I had no idea that mentioning that of all things would ignite such a firestorm in here. Again though, I don't find it any worse than what I hear major pharmaceuticals doing... especially knowing what I know about those companies.

Honestly, she just does not even compare.
"Anyone who does not partake of society is either a beast or a god." — Aristotle
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Rember like I said it does not matter what I know but rather what I can prove if I can prove she is torutering people to death and murdering them or has done so she WILL be held accountable.

in the Absence of said prof I will leave her in peace, and if she was in my area I would view with alarm
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Yeah. I just try to temper that shoot first reaction is all... Mankind has taken a lot of this world. It's long since past time we thought about leaving a few things in it.

Like the vampires that run the Los Angeles Blood Bank. They collect it mostly for themselves because they need it, but also, they typically get the blood where it needs to go faster than anyone. Their organization has donated millions to companies that are developing synthetic replacements for blood.

I only know that because, like most anything in my travels, I ran afoul of them and did some quick talking. We realized very quickly it was a misunderstanding, and recognizing me from reports around the country of an 'unaffiliated slayer,' they decided it was best to show me their cards. The other option was that they try to break me in half at that moment.

Heh... it was also the first time I gave some blood. I don't know if it went to a person needing a type O transfusion, or to a monster that doesn't want to eat people, but either way, I like to think I saved a life.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Hello Serpens Walker,

It's me, Cynthia. I just saw your post here and it made me very happy. :D

I think it's a good thing that you're willing to share your blood with those who need it.

If I ever need some blood, will you share it with me?
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

That's not creepy at all to ask someone out of the blue. ^^;

Here's the breakdown. None of this is legally binding, and I reserve the right to say no even if I say or imply yes or maybe in the following lines.

If we're out in the field and you need my blood, I think you're beyond what I know about stitching people up. If you're a vampire and you need a drink and there are extenuating circumstances... it'd depend how extenuating the circumstances. I may not feel that I have to kill them on site, but I have no intention of ever contracting vampirism.

For the purposes of activating blood locked mechanisms... I'm not giving you my blood so you can turn around and dump it down a machine. I'll cut myself and turn it on, thanks much.

For the purposes of distracting blood drinking creatures? NO.

For the purposes of performing quick, semi-scientific tests to determine somethings effect or interaction with blood? I'll handle it-I have sample jars and everything.

Any other situation will be assessed on a case by case basis, with determining factors being risk to self and others vs reward and impact of the act. Some exclusions apply, offer void in Tijuana, or any other location where there is the distinct possibility of body chop shop operations in the area.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Hello Serpens Walker,

I'm glad you don't think it's creepy because Momma says I should try to be less creepy.

And to be fair, you brought up the subject of sharing your blood. I was merely wondering how far the courtesy extended. Don't worry. I'm not a vampire and I don't drink or suck blood. But sometimes I do need it. None of your scenerios really apply except for the 'case by case' basis.

You mentioned cutting yourself for blood activated mechanisms. Have you done this a lot? Does it hurt?
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Cynthia, we need to work on your definition of less creepy.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Grace

Post by Grace »

Yes, Papa.
-Oscar Wilde.
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

It hasn't come up. Yet.

Everyone has there own set of rules for how they approach the unknown, and everyone has one that ranks up there at the top of their list above all the others. Mine is 'always be prepared,' although it's about interchangeable in importance with 'keep an open mind.'

Invariably, you're going to be caught unprepared for something, but you can still prepare for most things by running through possible scenarios in your head. And if something happens that's impossible, particularly without that open mind I mentioned, most people just freeze up. The faster you can move from 'What... HOW!?' to 'That's a problem. I solve problems.' the better.
Razor

Post by Razor »

"What the !? ... That's a problem. Quick decision!"

hehe
Secrets and secrets, truth and lies, but which is which? Not knowing is the way to die.
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Razor wrote:"What the !? ... That's a problem. Quick decision!"

hehe

Laugh it up, if you've been around the block, you know how much time you have to react between seeing something odd to having your throat ripped out.
Rowan

Didn’t Lazlo a associates suggest something differen

Post by Rowan »

Didn’t Dr. Lazlo—or maybe one his associates—give evidence to the contrary, though? He suggested that many of the creatures we hunt are “unwhole”—they’re not capable of good acts or positive emotions any more than we are able to swallow the moon.

That wasn’t a quote obviously—but I have a vague memory it somewhere in one of his works.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

Rowen many of them are. and well many have been here or 1000s of years, many do not belong here. And just think of the messes that are made when things are not where they belong like the rabbits in alsrealia
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Which is why I try to send the dangerous stuff back to where it came from.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Re: Didn’t Lazlo a associates suggest something differen

Post by Serpens Walker »

Rowan wrote:Didn’t Dr. Lazlo—or maybe one his associates—give evidence to the contrary, though? He suggested that many of the creatures we hunt are “unwhole”—they’re not capable of good acts or positive emotions any more than we are able to swallow the moon.

That wasn’t a quote obviously—but I have a vague memory it somewhere in one of his works.

With respect to Dr. Lazlo, I don't believe any of these entities follow hard and fast rules. There are commonalities-many of them don't like pure iron and silver. Whatever you happen to believe in faith wise, it does offer at least some protection from these creatures. Research into whether or not it's actually divine protection or merely the power of positive thinking is just lacking.

The idea that any of us could say that we 'know' the nature of these creatures is simply hubris, as it is hubris to say that we truly know the nature of even another person. We make extrapolations, discuss data, trends, and events. We trade in both commonalities and irregularities.

The only thing to be certain of is that more research is needed, and cooperation and diplomacy go a lot further in research than fire fights. Still, autopsy is a perfectly legitimate vein to explore... provided the subject doesn't evaporate. >.>
Rowan

In all my experiences, they’re the aggressors.

Post by Rowan »

You’re probably right, Serpens Walker—in regards to how the otherly follow “hard and fast” rules. Especially since Dr. Lazlo conjectured these creatures were of a completely different “nature” than ours—I believe. I’m not sure how effective diplomacy is, however. Not because I’m not a fan of it—but because all the creatures in my limited experience have been aggressive to the point of insanity.

If you can or have discovered a way to circumvent that before they tear out my throat—I’ll gladly hear you out.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

its hard to talk to something that is trying to eat your face
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Sorta' depends on the situation... obviously, at the point you've been ambushed, it's a little late for diplomacy.

But I'd say for every time I get ambushed or rushed, there's a time where there we lock gazes with each other, and that's when I usually just try a line. "We don't have to kill each other, y'know." Sometimes they talk back. Sometimes they stare at you more. Still others they just rush you like a homicidal maniac.

The point is that if you fire then and there, you've denied the possibility of talking the mess out. I won't lie-the situations in which they talk back aren't common, and a little common sense goes a long ways-if you try to talk a zombie down, I'd expect to get bitten.

All you can do is try, and if you have something that won't be reasoned with, that's why you're armed.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

In my experience, usually they only talk to you if they think they have you at their mercy and want to prolong the moment or they think they are at your mercy and want to stall for time.

Delta Sierra
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Ron Caliburn wrote:In my experience, usually they only talk to you if they think they have you at their mercy and want to prolong the moment or they think they are at your mercy and want to stall for time.

So glad you mentioned that, Caliburn! These creatures tend to underestimate people. Talking is a great way to stall for time, even if you're just catching your breath before you try to make a break for it.

Remember. To be proficient at martial arts, one must be proficient at the art of deception. If you can get a creature like that to play along with your ruse, even if they are JUST playing along, you can open up opportunities you would not have otherwise had.

If you commit yourself to a blood bath from the get go, it only ends in a blood bath. If you accept other possibilities, then you might walk out of there without $600,000 in hospital bills.
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

I must say that thought does hold some marait on some level. in the words of the great Sun Tzu "if you know your enemy and now your self you need not free the result of 10,000 battles. If you know ether your enemy or your self for every victory there will be a defeat. if you know neither your enemy or your self you will be defeated in every battle"
Serpens Walker

Post by Serpens Walker »

Exactly. Sun Tzu has a lot to say about fighting, and more over, when not to fight. His writings have helped forge the greatest generals, leaders, and warriors for millenia now. Ignore his advice at your own peril.

If you say "Hello" and someone greets you back, you know already that they are at least willing to play along, and you might learn something. You may even come away with a greater appreciation for your enemy than you had mere moments ago if it does turn into a bloodbath.

If you say "Hello" and you get a growling blaze of teeth and claws, then you can safely assume your enemy is a mindless beast, and free yourself of any moral compunctions to do what you will have to do. This is especially true when these monsters possess children-exorcizing the beast out of the child is not always an option for a myriad of reasons. You may have to kill the victim to kill the monster. Not everyone can be saved.

And if you shoot first every time... Well. Battle of all kinds leaves its mark on who we are. I open myself to a great deal of risk when I try to reason with something, but it's a risk I have to take. I'm not going to let myself be worse than the monsters I end up taking out.