Ourang Medan: The Most Cursed Ship of the 20th Century?

A place where members can debate rumors and claims of conspiracies, cover-ups and secret government activities.
RAVEN

Ourang Medan: The Most Cursed Ship of the 20th Century?

Post by RAVEN »

In February 1948 (or June 1947, depending on which source one consults) a series of distress calls were sent out by the Dutch freighter Orang Medan in the Straits of Malacca between Sumatra and Indonesia.

"All officers including captain dead, lying in chartroom and on bridge, probably whole crew dead... " This chilling message, accompanied by a spate of desperate SOS calls, was followed by indecipherable Morse code... then a final message just two stark words "I die."

Boarding parties found the dead radio operator, his hand on the Morse key, eyes wide open. The entire crew even the ship's dog were discovered in the same terrified posture, all dead. According to a frequently mentioned document (which I have so far been unable to trace) called The Proceedings of the Merchant Marine Council, the crew were found "teeth bared, with their upturned faces to the sun, staring, as if in fear..."
Following this grim discovery, a fire broke out in the ship's hold. The boarding parties were forced to abandon her. Shortly after, a violent explosion described in some accounts as so violent the vessel "lifted herself from the water" and she quickly sank.

The Orang Medan achieves the coveted Number One position on this list of Top Ten Ghost Ships. There also exists a Wikipedia page about the ship, right there.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight
Hannah

Re: Ourang Medan: The Most Cursed Ship of the 20th Century?

Post by Hannah »

I wonder what it's cargo was? The description of the bodies reminds me of my great grandfather's description of some of the victims of a gas attack he saw back in World War I.

Hannah.
I will be who I chose to be.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm sure Debunker would be proud of that answer Hannah
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

That is what I was thinking. the think about Comical weapons though is that they are heavier then air, so you would think some one would have noticed of a cargo of something Chlorine based was leaking
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Well if they are heavier than air then it stands to reason that the guy at the highest point on the ship (probably the radio room) would notice last.

A lot of agents are odorless and colorless. Some of them are flammable too.

Hannah

PS: Not saying I figured it out, just an idea.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

One of the leading theories for the Bermuda Triangle involves flammable gasses seeping up from the ocean floor, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be a chemical on-board the ship if my daughter's idea is correct.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Ron Caliburn wrote:One of the leading theories for the Bermuda Triangle involves flammable gasses seeping up from the ocean floor, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be a chemical on-board the ship if my daughter's idea is correct.

Methane Hydrate, a form of natural gas. Large deposits of it exist in a crystal form (think a form of flammable ice) in sediment along continental shelves, including off of the southeastern US. Researchers managed to determine that methane-saturated water has a lower density. Enough 'frothy water' could effectively prevent ships from being buoyant and cause them to rapidly sink.

Of course, methane also isn't poisonous - it may however cause asphyxiation in high enough quantities.

Yes, the practitioner has a grasp of science.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

You people are going to put me out of work.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Gotham Witch

Post by Gotham Witch »

Well you can throw some complex numbers around about what it'd take to make a ship sink if it'd make you feel useful.
"God have mercy on a man, who doubts what he's sure of." - Bruce Springsteen
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Mel,

Methane is lighter than air and needs a lot of concentration to reach toxic levels.

I'm thinking either something in the cargo of the ship that was either harmful, heavier than air and flammable, or when mixed with something else on the cargo list or commonly found aboard ships of the type created something harmful, heavier than air and flammable.

Hannah
Tms3

Post by Tms3 »

That is vary posable Hanna there are a lot of things that are carried on ships that could have mixed with each other or could have mixed with something in the hold. A lot of old refrigeration systems, and cooling systems used Amona for example. even larger ones today do. like the ones that keep a meat packing plant at or below 40 Degrees. A lot of Chimerical dissectinces contain chlorean. Which in itself is so toxic it was first used and a Chemical weapon. in fact many forms of mustered and nerve gas use Chorean as a base. porblem is I dont know if Chlorean is flammable. Though most things are if you get them hot enough even water, or iron. here is a thought what of where looking at a cascade of unrelated disasters? each one contributing to the next?
We who stand between the flame and the shadow
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Someone in a club in Wilieburg wrote a song a couple years ago referencing this boat. I had no idea what the hell it was until now. Weird.

Makes the Flying Dutchman look tame, doesn't it?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

This ship, when it is identified, might deserve mention. A Japanese fishing boat, dislocated by last year's tsunami, was just spotted off the coast of Canada.
I can't promise you that I will be good, but I do promise you that I will be good at it.

Coming soon! :10 Minutes After Midnight