Favorite Back-Up Weapon

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.

Favorite Back-Up Weapon

1) Hunting Knife
No votes
2) Combat Knife
No votes
3) Dagger (Various; double edged)
No votes
4) Stungun/Tazer
No votes
5) Sword; Single Handed
No votes
6) Sword; Double Handed
No votes
7) Bludegeon (nightstick, cudgel, etc.)
No votes
8) Chainsaw (or other power tool)
No votes
9) Machete or Cleaver
No votes
10) Other
No votes

Total votes: 0

Holister

Favorite Back-Up Weapon

Post by Holister »

Poll Question

Just curious to see what the most selected back-up weapon is. Select your top two.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Cybermancer

Re: Favorite Back-Up Weapon

Post by Cybermancer »

Information regarding my personal arsenal is classified.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
"The strong polish their fangs,
While the weak polish their wisdom."
Holister

Post by Holister »

So why reply to the thread? :roll:
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

To convince anyone reading the thread that he's heavily armed, without having to go into specifics. Considering how many nasties probably read the board, it's not a bad plan :wink:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Holister

Post by Holister »

Then just answer the poll and not write up an response. The polls are annoynminous. :mrgreen:
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

1) The poll doesn't seem to be working.

2) A handgun is a back up weapon, it lacks the power, range and accuracy of a longarm. The only reason why one would use it in place of a longarm is if the longarm is not available for that situation.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Holister

Post by Holister »

Note to Society IT Department. Get off ya' duffs and fix the poll feature. That is all.

As for the thread - Ya, know. I've never considered my .45 a " back up " weapon. Im so used to just reachin' down and havin' it there. I've always consider my tazer more a secondary.

But ya' do have a good point Ronny.
Last edited by Holister on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

The role of a handgun is to fight your way to the rifle you should never have put down in the first place.
This account used to belong to someone else. Now it's mine. My first post on this board begins here.
Holister

Post by Holister »

I clever operative never needs to have to resort to shootin' in the first place. Its only reserved as a last resort. If you need a rifle, you are either huntin' or your snipin'. In either case a handgun ain't gonna come into play.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Holister wrote:I clever operative never needs to have to resort to shootin' in the first place. Its only reserved as a last resort. If you need a rifle, you are either huntin' or your snipin'. In either case a handgun ain't gonna come into play.

This is false. Long arms are for more than sniping. And any opretive can be caught in a situation where the use of firearms is required. The point being made is that a handgun is generally a backup weapon and can come into play when the long arm is out of ammo, out of reach or in close quarters where the barrel of the long arm can be an issue.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Um; not true. Thats why the shotgun stays strapped in the cruiser and we have handguan strapped to our sides. Longarms are seldom used in ordinary situations. They are called on when firepower is required.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Everything I said is true.

Law officers are something of an anomoly due to their circumstances. First and foremost, the pistol is issued for the purpose of self-defense only. It is not issued to be used as part of an assault. Furthermore, law officers must be extremely concerned at all times about collateral damage.

Nevertheless, when law officers do conduct an assault, they will still have their pistols but only as a backup weapon. Their primary weapon will be a long arm or an MP5.

Having that shotgun in a patrol vehicle allows a law officer a chance to use their pistol to fight to the better weapon.

Pistols are not a primary weapon. They're a back up weapon used for self-defense.
Holister

Post by Holister »

SWAT is issued the automatics because they are the ones who conduct the assaults. Rifles are used by their snipers. The same goes for FBI entry teams.

Standard officers in the field are only issued a handgun and their backup weapon is usually another handgun. The shotgun is a backup weapon also, but only under certain circumstances does it leave the cruiser.

Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

Again,

Law officers are issued pistols for the purpose of self-defense only.

Beat cops and the like are not engaged in assaults but are issued a pistol just in case.

Most will use it maybe once in their entire career. Many never use it.

Don't confuse a weapon used for self-defense with something that is a good primary weapon.

*EDIT*

Actually, I see the problem here. You're confusing the weapon you carry most often with your primary weapon.

I will then present a dramatic comparison to illustrate the point.

In Kandahar airfield, military members are required to carry a weapon at all times, even while on base. Just in case.

Many of those issued pistols will carry those as they are lighter and more convienent. But it is not their primary weapon. They'll still have it when the leave they wire but it won't be the one they respond with. And if the 'just in case' scenerio ever occurs, they will use their pistol to fight their way to their real primary weapon.

A police sidearm is just that, a sidearm. It is for defense and just in case. But it is not a primary weapon. Just because it is the one most often carried and the big guns are stored elsewhere doesn't change the fact.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Cybermancer wrote:Actually, I see the problem here. You're confusing the weapon you carry most often with your primary weapon.

I will then present a dramatic comparison to illustrate the point.

In Kandahar airfield, military members are required to carry a weapon at all times, even while on base. Just in case.

Many of those issued pistols will carry those as they are lighter and more convienent. But it is not their primary weapon. They'll still have it when the leave they wire but it won't be the one they respond with. And if the 'just in case' scenerio ever occurs, they will use their pistol to fight their way to their real primary weapon.

A police sidearm is just that, a sidearm. It is for defense and just in case. But it is not a primary weapon. Just because it is the one most often carried and the big guns are stored elsewhere doesn't change the fact.

You make a valid point. However, as an American LEO myself, we aren't military soldiers that have regular access to heavy firepower unless it is absolutely necessary. For us, our sidearm is our primary weapon. Our backup weapon is (as I said before) another handgun or our shotgun.

I don't know where you live Cyber where police walk around with assault weapons on a regular basis, but this is what I was taught at the academy, this is what I know.

Your arguement still has it merits. It is all a matter of occupation and location I suppose that determines the deffinition of primary weapon I suppose.
Cybermancer

Post by Cybermancer »

I suppose it is our definitions in which we differ. To me, a pistol is a sidearm and used for self-defense only, even when it is the weapon carried most often. A primary weapon is the weapon I want to have in my hands when the shooting starts.

When I was a soldier, I rarely carried a pistol and I don't think I ever used it.

When I was involved in law enforcement, I carried and used a pistol far more often then I did a longarm. But I never considered it a primary weapon. It was for self-defense.

Perhaps the fact that I was a soldier before I was officially involved in law-enforcement has something to do with it.
Holister

Post by Holister »

That may be a possibility. I myself am a trained sniper and can handle a good rifle nine ways to Sunday, but its my sidearm thats always there at my side. I think its something about swaggerin' down the street with an M16 that makes people very nervous. :wink:

Grace

Post by Grace »

I think it's just the swagger that's making them nervous.
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Holister

Post by Holister »

I didn't know you were lookin' lil' lady.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Feh. Don't flatter yourself.

Although, I suppose someone should. :P

I was just saying you're funny looking.

Which is of course a joke since I have no idea what you look like.

But Ron assures me you're butt ugly.

:twisted:
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Holister

Post by Holister »

I'm sure he did. :wink:
Professor Ali

Post by Professor Ali »

I carry a small hatchet whenever I can. There was a time when I was younger that I worked as a firefighter. I became quite good with axes.
Current research project: I am translating the Gospel According to Lazarus.
Brutal

Post by Brutal »

Modified cattle prod. You be surprised how effective one can be.
I don’t pretend to be a saint or a hero, or a good-person for all those are but just empty words. I am just a man doing a job that was paid for. And may HEAVEN ALL MIGHTY help the thing that gets in my way.
WWVLD?

Return to “Community Outreach”