Do Horror Movies in Distract from The Real Problem?

Come here to discuss the myriad of beliefs, customs and philosophies that exist in our megaverse.
Holister

Do Horror Movies in Distract from The Real Problem?

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine (once again)

Well since I seem to have the boards to myself and alone in my boredom I decided to pop in a few horror movies for the night (Kelly, Molly, and the baby are at party in town). After three and puttin' in a fourth, I can't help but wonder if contemporary horror movies distract the populace from the truth and inevitably make us turn a blind eye to the paranormal?

Another thought on the flip side of this morale debate is how accurate are these movies and books? How do they compare to the real deal? I can tell you one thing.; Hollywood deffinitely dropped the ball on the whole werewolf thing. I think that the 1981 classic " The Howling " is perhaps the closest to the truth.

Trust me - I know werewolves. Yes Virginia, there are werewolves.

Another anticdote - if someone does come face to face with the supernatural, and base their survival rate on what they see in the movies, how screwed are they really gonna be?

Just some of those random thoughts that pass through my mind from time to time on these cold winter nights in Maine.

Well thank ya'll for listenin' and have yerselves a good ol' night.
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
finder_fee

Re: Do Horror Movies in Distract from The Real Problem?

Post by finder_fee »

Honestly, I haven't come face to face with the Wierd Stuff too oftain myself. But I have no reason to doubt that there are inteligent supernatural baddies out there who might happily encourage horror films, just so that it makes life easier for them, or scarrier for us.

Fi
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine (again)

Yeah, that sounds plausible. I hear the CEO of the Fox network is a blood suckin' ghoul. :lol:
"Too serve and protect", somethin' bout that gets a lil' blurred when dealin' with the supernatural.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I think my views on the portrayals of monsters in the media are well known but mostly that's focused on the cutsie style monsters.

While horror movies may provide some valuable survival tips to the masses, they generally are incredibly far off about the nature of monster attacks or how best to defeat them. Dangerously so.

One of my personal favourites is Silver-Nitrate as an anti-vampire/werewolf weapon.

Silver-Nitrate isn't Silver. It's an entirely different chemical compound that happens to include some silver and have a silvery colour. It isn't pure enough to harm any of these monsters.

UV Flashlights are another Hollywood fantasy that doesn't work. It's sunlight that works because it's the sun, not because it has ultraviolet rays. Last time I was in a club frequented by vampires and those who want to be them the UV lights were plentiful and nobody was bursting into flames.

Until Hollywood gets it right, Horror Movies don't do anything productive - in fact they give people the feeling that beign scared can be fun, encouraging them to go to dark places where real monsters might lurk.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Holister

Post by Holister »

Greetin's from Maine

Yep, we all know your take on the genre there Ronny boy. On your side I would have to agree with ya' for the most part. Hell, I know that ya' can't believe all that Hollywood bullshit about werewolves. All that nonsense is a load of horse pucky, and trust me fella's, I know bout werewolves.

I do plan on startin' a post about the life cycle of werewolves later on today. Feel free to stop by give it a read; ya'll might find it informative. :wink:

Oh; Kelly, Molly, & Duke says hi.

:WOOF!!:

Good boy Duke.

Talk to ya'll later.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

I love horror movies.

I love laughing at them every time they get it wrong. Honestly, they're better then comedies for me.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Holister

Post by Holister »

Or when someone thinks "Hey, it might be cool to be a vampire.....just like Edward" :roll: Then to see their poor little dumb ass face when they meet a REAL vampire.

Lifestyle ain't so cuddley when an undead bloodsucker from Hell is eyein' ya' up like a juicebox huh? :lol:
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

In the spirit of this thread, I know for certain they got the full moon thing wrong. The whole eyebrows that meet in the middle, hairy palms, and pentagram in the palm thing is just laughable. I would love to visit Joe Dante one day and change right in front of him. :twisted: But I'll be a good girl. :wink:
" Don't ever come between a wolf and her pups. Ever!!! "
Grace

Post by Grace »

Kelly wrote: But I'll be a good girl. :wink:

Where'e the fun in that?
Hi, I'm Darcy! :)
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I don't want to make Ronny Boy any more nervous around me than he already is suga'. :wink:
" Don't ever come between a wolf and her pups. Ever!!! "
Grace

Post by Grace »

I repeat, where's the fun in that? :wink:
"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."
-Oscar Wilde.
Holister

Post by Holister »

Don't make waves Nem.

Kell, you just behave yourself. I don't want any grief from Ron right about now. He's touch an' go half the time anyway. :wink:
Grace

Post by Grace »

You're going to steal all my fun away.
-Oscar Wilde.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Whenever Ron pops up, the fun just disapears. Most of the time anyway.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Grace

Post by Grace »

I'm sure he's not that bad in real life.

Then again, he might be.
-Oscar Wilde.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

Holister wrote: I can't help but wonder if contemporary horror movies distract the populace from the truth and inevitably make us turn a blind eye to the paranormal?

Quite the opposite.
They just fuel the imagination.

And, of course, saying that the movies are missing the mark don't validate your claims.
Question everything.
Holister

Post by Holister »

You are right, they don't. Dealing with these things on a regular basis face to face does.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

No. It doesn't.
Not without conclusive evidence.
Question everything.
Holister

Post by Holister »

As I said elsewhere, you want proof, then stop hiding behind your computer and look for it. We offer you a chance and blow it off; yeah you want to find the truth. :shock:

You joining this soicety makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Narrow minded people much like yourself would rather berate us than try to actually prove us wrong.

You come of as some know it all with a degree in psycho babble, but you are a closed minded, ignorant, JACKASS!

My buddies wife is laying dead somewhere becaus eof the things he does, all of which are related to this site and his work. His daughter is in hiding only God knows where, and I have to listen to you run at the mouth.

Around here, you are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. Help us, or we sure as shit won't help you!

skeptic

Post by skeptic »

Holister wrote:As I said elsewhere, you want proof, then stop hiding behind your computer and look for it. We offer you a chance and blow it off; yeah you want to find the truth. :shock:

Which chance?
All I remember is you inviting me to a BBQ and I don't remember saying one way or the other if I could make it yet.
I don't have the kind of job that allows me to just take a day or two off without juggling a complex schedule first.

Holister wrote:You joining this soicety makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Narrow minded people much like yourself would rather berate us than try to actually prove us wrong.

Have I actually berated anybody?
Holister, I've been in the field with Lazlo Agents in my younger days and in all that time whatever mysteries that couldn't be explained simply didn't lend themselves to a paranormal explanation. In all that time I haven't seen one corpse of the so-called monster, never been lifted off my fee with somebody's mind, or any of the other standard paranormal claims.
Furthermore, you're asking me for negative evidence, which is something that is generally considered impossible (to the point that it's actually a logical fallacy). You're clinging to your argument from personal conviction, which is fine, but don't expect reality-based folks to take that fallacy seriously either.
I however have a wall full of files backing me up.
Paranormal claims require paranormal evidence.

Holister wrote:You come of as some know it all with a degree in psycho babble, but you are a closed minded, ignorant, JACKASS!

I have no choice but to disagree.
Because that's simply not true.

Holister wrote:My buddies wife is laying dead somewhere becaus eof the things he does, all of which are related to this site and his work. His daughter is in hiding only God knows where, and I have to listen to you run at the mouth.

Do you have some proof that it is related to this site and his work?
Or just more gut feelings and whatnot?
Thought so.

Holister wrote:Around here, you are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. Help us, or we sure as shit won't help you!

If you can find a case where I held up a Society investigation or other interfered with our work, show your evidence.
Otherwise you should probably just stop talking.
That would be the smart thing to do.
Last edited by skeptic on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Question everything.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Holister wrote:Around here, you are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. Help us, or we sure as shit won't help you!

"O con noi o contro di noi"--You're either with us or against us.

- Benito Mussolini
-Oscar Wilde.
Holister

Post by Holister »

You know Skep, you are probably right. I was out of line back there. My buddy is missing and hi daughter is in perhaps real danger. I am a little emotional right now.

You have your job to do, and I have mine and we'll leave it at that. You merit some degree of respect as a fellow Society member so I am extending an olive branch.

Good luck with your investigations.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

Fair enough.
Question everything.

Return to “Philosophers Corner”