Giant snake, perhaps supernatural related?

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Tabloid Hound

Giant snake, perhaps supernatural related?

Post by Tabloid Hound »

BBC News wrote:Science reporter, BBC News

The snake is thought to have been some 13m (42ft) long

The discovery of fossilised remains belonging to the world's largest snake has been reported in Nature journal.

Titanoboa was 13m (42ft) long - about the length of a London bus - and lived in the rainforest of north-east Colombia 58-60 million years ago.

The snake was so wide it would have reached up to a person's hips, say researchers, who have estimated that it weighed more than a tonne.

Green anacondas - the world's heaviest snakes - reach a mere 250kg (550lbs).

Snakes had the opportunity to evolve and grow as big as this one did in a way that they probably wouldn't today
P David Polly, Indiana University
Reticulated pythons - the world's longest snakes - can reach up to 10m (32ft).

The team of researchers led by Jason Head, from the University of Toronto at Mississauga, Canada, used a known mathematical relationship between the size of vertebrae and the length of the body in living snakes to estimate the size of the ancient animal.

Named Titanoboa cerrejonensis by its discoverers, the beast's 13m-long body and 1,140kg (2,500lb) weight make it the largest snake on record.

"At its greatest width, the snake would have come up to about your hips. The size is pretty amazing," said co-author P David Polly, from Indiana University in Bloomington, US.

Researchers discovered fossilised bones belonging to the super-sized slitherers and their possible prey at Cerrejon, one of the world's largest open-pit coal mines. The animal is a relative of modern boa constrictors.

Warming world

"Probably like an anaconda, it spent a lot of time in the water," said Professor Polly.

"It would have needed to eat a lot. What its prey was exactly, we don't know. But it probably included alligators, big fish or crocodiles."

The researchers also used the reptile's size to make an estimate of Earth's temperature 58 to 60 million years ago in tropical South America.

Palaeontologists have long known that as temperatures go up and down over geological time, generally speaking, so does the upper size limit of cold-blooded creatures - or poikilotherms.

This is because the metabolism of a poikilotherm is more or less controlled by the average temperature of its environment.

Assuming the Earth today was not particularly unusual, the researchers calculated that a snake of Titanoboa's size would have required an average annual temperature of 30C to 34C (86F to 93F) to survive.

By comparison, the average yearly temperature of today's Cartagena, a Colombian coastal city, is about 28C.

Opportunity knocks

"A snake living in the tropics would have been operating at a much higher metabolic rate," said Professor Polly.

"So snakes had the opportunity to evolve and grow as big as this one did in a way that they probably wouldn't today."

He added that as the Earth warmed up in future, cold-blooded animals could be expected to evolved larger bodies.

Dr Head adds that the find "challenges our understanding of past climates and environments, as well as the biological limitations on the evolution of giant snakes."

However, Dr Matthew Huber, a climatologist from Purdue University in Indiana, who was not connected with the study, questioned whether the link between size and temperature was "generalisable and accurate".

He commented: "Head and colleagues' findings are the result of probably the first study in 'snake palaeothermometry', and as such must be viewed with caution."

[email protected]

I posted this for the awareness factor as I've run into a few seperate stories of Lazlo members and other sources run into things like this before. One report stated that the snakes actually discorporated into a fossil, which if true would most likely mean that this supernatural being probrably attaches itself to fossils in our plane of existance.

Any thoughts?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, and much more terrifying."
Clarity

I wonder if that’s what I saw . . .

Post by Clarity »

_____That’s big for a snake, right? I wonder if that’s what I met in a sewer once.
When my dreams and visions help people, it’s not a burden, it’s a good thing.
Eilonwy Solstice

Any sightings?

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Has there been any sightings, Clarity? Tabloid?
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Ron Caliburn

Re: Giant snake, perhaps supernatural related?

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Bigger than anything I've encountered in a sewer, that's for sure. Clarity.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Clarity

Did you want to talk to me, Mr. Ron? We can pm, if you like

Post by Clarity »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Bigger than anything I've encountered in a sewer, that's for sure. Clarity.

_____Yes?
InTheDark

Post by InTheDark »

Good story! I think this is a lot for just the fossil record...after all, the paleantoligist said the remains are related to modern day pythons. However, I don't doubt that many things in the natural world have connections to other places, even times. We all know of the different types of spirits and ghosts. Everything is related to somthing else. Everything has myriad connections, be it through gravity, thought, plane, science or emotion, we've learned time and again that nothing ever ceases, it just changes. I think Clarity undertands this concept...
Worlds without end...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

The fossil record also has produced 40 foot crocodiles, but the big ones that we hear tell of in the dark corners of the world are around 25 to 30 feet long. So we need to be careful about the line fossil/cryptid/supernatural beast here.

That being said, anacondas of greater than 35 feet in length have been reported in South America occasionally with documentation that is considered inadequate by "serious biologists" to back up. The largest claims reach upwards of 100 feet even though the accepted length for an adult anaconda is about 20 feet.

So I think that we're looking at a fossil related to a modern cryptid here, not something animating old fossils.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Lord Shakar

Post by Lord Shakar »

Interesting, I have encountered many reptilian things in my travels. But not anything that big that still looks snake-like.
Walking between the Shadows, you come to expect the unexpected.
From the Shadows comes Life or Death.
Clarity

It sounds very familiar, at least . . .

Post by Clarity »

InTheDark wrote:Good story! I think this is a lot for just the fossil record...after all, the paleantoligist said the remains are related to modern day pythons. However, I don't doubt that many things in the natural world have connections to other places, even times. We all know of the different types of spirits and ghosts. Everything is related to somthing else. Everything has myriad connections, be it through gravity, thought, plane, science or emotion, we've learned time and again that nothing ever ceases, it just changes. I think Clarity undertands this concept...

_____I do? It sounds very familiar and I feel kind of funny when I read it, but it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Return to “Community Outreach”