Justice gets served for a change…

General discussions of issues of the paranormal affecting our community. A place where you can ask questions, and others will offer answers.
Debunker
Location: My Paranromal team is based in the U.K., but we travel world wide

Justice gets served for a change…

Post by Debunker »

I just came across this news article and felt compelled to share it;

“A Polish woman who pretended to be a ghost and “haunted” an Alpine castle was sentenced to four months in prison by an Italian court.
Police were called in to investigate mysterious creaking doors and other unexplained nocturnal noises heard in 15th century Castel Coldrano, near the Swiss and Austrian borders, by a female occupant who ran the castle’s cultural centre.

Video cameras placed by investigators revealed the noises to be man – or woman – made, and arrested the 42-year-old Pole, whose husband worked for the centre.

Police said she was motivated by “a personal rancor” against the manager, and charged her with harassment and incidental damage to the castle.”

I for one commend the local authorities for locking this person away. Not only was she slandering private property in the name of profit, but she played upon peoples superstitions of this castle being haunted.

Then again, what else could it have been? There never was and never will be (or can be) any haunting involved. Score 1 for the investigators with this one by keeping their wits and inevitably unveiling the hoax.

Given enough time and opportunity you can always find the hoax or logical explanations behind these so called “haunted” incidents.

I wish I had heard of this investigation as I would have attended as well.
Elliott James Tobias III
AKA: Debunker

"The truth is indeed out there...science has been pointing it out for centuries."
DarKnyht

Re: Justice gets served for a change…

Post by DarKnyht »

Debunker, don't be so quick to dismiss everything that happened over there. Others have claimed that that place was haunted both a few years before and even after this woman was arrested. While she definitely deserves the time in jail for harassing someone like that, I believe she was just taking advantage of a situation that was already there. That would mean real problem still exists.

I will send you the information I located regarding it for you to verify. Thanks to Google News I was able to even include some news stories from back then. These are the times it makes me feel good that I paid to get access to Google News' cache of back articles. I am sure you can ask the publishers for hard copies of the articles if they are wanted.
“Whoever starts out toward the unknown must consent to venture alone.” - Andre Gide
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

Thank you for the articles and info, but none of it proves anything more than the notion that people have belived the place has been haunted for years.

This info truly only proved that there was potential for tourism and profit in said location. As far as I'm concerned the only haunting in this castle is capitalism.
Elliott James Tobias III

"The truth is indeed out there...science has been pointing it out for centuries."
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

I will have to disagree with you on that, and am planning to leave as soon as possible to investigate the issues firsthand. There was yet another story on another blog today describing someone's experience there. It sounds like an entity or two may be hanging around the place.

I believe I will be able to determine fairly quickly if there is really something there or if the stories are just someone making things up. I know you don't believe in psychic abilities, so I will forgo the attempt to explain how I plan on doing this. If there is something hanging around the place, then perhaps I can help move it on it's way.

It will take a me a day or two to make travel arrangements, but if all goes according to plan I will be there by Friday for a weekend (and perhaps longer) vacation. I've always wanted to visit (and tour) an old castle and this definitely provides me with an excuse.
“Whoever starts out toward the unknown must consent to venture alone.” - Andre Gide
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

it seems your determined to prove something at this paticualr location and trying to talk you out it in the effort of wasting time would only be a waste of my own time.

So I will do the next best thing... I will be in attendance with you at the castle during your research. As a tourist attraction and location of antiquity the trip can still be chalked up as a sight seeing adventure and therefore not wasted time.

And perhaps I we will quell all this haunting nonsense while we are there.
Elliott James Tobias III

DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

I look forward to finally meeting you in person.

I will be getting in around mid-afternoon their time tomorrow. I managed to book one of those new flights with wi-fi so I will not be bored on the way, and I will be staying at the closest inn to the castle. I will PM you specifics so that you can get in contact with me once you arrive.
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

I am currently at the hotel, so stop by whenever you are ready.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Good Luck guys.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Be careful, DK. OG will be really upset when he figures out you aren't as dead as he hoped, and I have no idea where he is right now. I'm changing that fool's name to Carmen Sandiego.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
http://usashaolintemple.org/
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Willie Long wrote:Be careful, DK. OG will be really upset when he figures out you aren't as dead as he hoped, and I have no idea where he is right now. I'm changing that fool's name to Carmen Sandiego.

That is the funny thing, they didn't even bat an eye when I asked to leave the country (supposed to not be able to). On paper I am here to take care of a relatives' final affairs. I was told to check in daily with someone here, but other than that I am not being bothered (at least as far as I can tell). I cannot help but think I am being given rope to hang myself with.
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

I think the word you're looking for is "bait" -- sounds like they're hoping you'll draw him out. If things go south, trust in Debunker; cat can take care of himself.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

Thank you Willie, you vote of confidence is appreciated.

Now my impressions of the castle... It is indeed a tourist trap. It has all the antique trappings and belongings properly dispayed to the public. It has several books on the history of the castle and its inhabitants over the decades (and all for sale in the gift shop). It has a hall for weddings and special occasions. It even has that dark, worn and aged look about it that makes it inheritantly creepy

What it doesnt have is paranormal activity. In bringing a crew of ghost hunting experts along (they are "ghost Hunters" caliber people without having it deal with the TV appearances) weve rigged cameras, sound recorders, thermal vision and generators to keep them all running (the power is spotty in this castle). So far we have a lot of nothing to show for it all. But this is a long haul stay so we'll keep the coffee strong and the research going.

My impressions of DK? Well, he's reminds me of a young cousin of mine... thats not entirely a good thing. He has a head full of stream and follows his heart without fail. He's got lots of passion and energy for his cause, but he aims them too much like a loose cannon in my opinion. Too much reaction and not enough action for my tastes.

But otherwise he's a good egg and I see potential in the lad. I hope to educate him in manners, poise and using his head before his heart during our time here together.

-Debunker
Elliott James Tobias III

DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Well let me start by saying it took me a while to realize that it was Debunker standing in front of me when I first met him. I couldn't just wrap my mind around the fact that he looks nothing like I thought he would. Eventually I noticed the abundance of electronic gear and it all clicked though.

It has been a pleasant experience, although I am quickly coming to the conclusion that Debunker in small doses works better than Debunker 24-7. It's not that I dislike him or anything, but I am starting to feel like I am back in school with a particular school teacher I had trouble with. I am enjoying seeing the gear he has though. It makes me miss working with that sort of equipment, especially the cameras. But that part of my life is past for now.

His description of the castle is quite accurate, everything I expected and more. Overpriced gift shop, Cheesy made up war-banners, comical renaissance actors (that are comical in that they don't know how bad they are), and even a nasal-sounding tour guide. So is his description of the events prior to our arrival.

However, I think my initial impression is that I will disagree with him on it not being haunted. I am having more trouble than usual to get the feel of this place, but I think there is something here. It is just more evasive than what I have experienced in the past.
Last edited by DarKnyht on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Yeah, he's a rather surprsing fellow when you first meet him.

Argue with him all you want, but don't think for a momment he's going to let you down when push comes to shove.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

You're welcome, Debunker.

Now my impressions of the castle... It is indeed a tourist trap.

It might be a trap all right. First, people with a vested interest in preserving the castle's reputation might try sabotage. Secondly, a globe-hopping gun-slinging psychotic is trying to kill DarKnyht and everyone who ever helped him, down to the waitress who gave him a free dessert back in 1997 because she got his order wrong.

This cat is so far gone he's made himself look like DK -- down to the DNA, IIRC.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Willie I would almost willingly offer myself up for slaughter at this point, but I think that psycho would leave me here alive for the mental torture. There is only so much observing closed circuit televisions I can take.

I now understand why they edit episodes of "Ghost Hunters" down so much. There would be a whole lot of nothing if they didn't.
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

I never promised that research would be fun or exciting... merely neccesary to find any shred of proof to the reports being told.

That being said, three nights in now and nothing to show for it but red eyes.

I listened to a report last night from one of the staff members that they saw "the servant boy" again. its seems there is a legend of a young man who wanders these halls, trying to beg forgivness for killing a female servant iout of jealousy.

Rumor has it she had her eye on a young lord or the castle at the time and he couldnt take the fact that she'd never see him as anything but a servant boy, not a rich and handsome lord.

The fine makings of a musing ghost story, conjured up to sell more tickets to the castle no doubt.
Elliott James Tobias III

DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

I heard those tales too, and I've thought I have seen or felt something the past three days, but I am having trouble focusing enough to pin-point it. It seems like there is this unending migraine in the back of my head that comes roaring to the front when I try to concentrate.

It's gotten bad enough that I've started sneaking away from everyone in order to attempt to find peace and quiet. There is a part of the old castle that I find myself drawn to. It is a section that is technically closed for repairs, but the door isn't locked and we were given permission to look around.

When I am there I've almost been able to find my mental center then, and that is when I start to get those impressions. However it generally is not long after I get to that point, that Debunker taps me on the shoulder. Almost decked him the first time he surprised me so bad, but fortunately his reflexes are better than mine. The end result is that I lose what little focus I have. (and I get yet another lecture about contaminating the site)

Oh well break time is up, back to the monitors. :roll:
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

Besides giving the crew Sunday and Labor Day off, we've all been busy at monitors and reading taking.

Even DK has taken on crew duties and I am rather proud of his efforts. I will be the first to admit that this is boring and unrewarding work for the most part, but somehow he's stayed dilligent to his work (i've caught him snoozing a few times but at least he's never abondoned his posts).

That being said over a week in production and nothing besides vague "witness reports" here and there. This is hardly what I would call haunted activity. If we dont get more substantial material soon (and I really dont expect any) I'll be packing up the crew and sending them home. I dont like paying them for weeks of nothing to show for it. And yes, I've offered DK a hourly pay rate while behind the monitors with me.

P.S.- These "servant boy" sightings are getting out of hand. Several more reports of seeing and feeling his presence continue to persist amongst the staff and DK... naturally when neither my crew and myself are there to account for them.
Elliott James Tobias III

Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Just seems to work out that way where your concerned Debunker, you missed the strange goings on with Ecclesia and with that pig-thing too.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
mrloucifer

Post by mrloucifer »

THATS RIGHT! THE GORMAGLUT! Brings back memories Ron... reminds of how much I your company sometimes, you cheeky bastard! :lol:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

Its been another two weeks of nothing solid here. At this rate I plan to pack up and send us all home soon.

DK's been itching for some alone time hunting the halls, at this point I dont see the harm in doing so. I dont expect him to have anymore luck than he's had while working with my team, but at least I talked him into taking the EMF detector to help out so he's doing something scientific related.
Elliott James Tobias III

DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

I plan on starting first thing this weekend as soon as my focus gets a little better. Ever since the laptop melted down in the hotel room (Not ever buying Sony again), there hasn't been much to do outside playing Texas Hold'em on my cellphone (and boy do I suck at that) and watching mostly still camera monitors.

I am amazed and impressed though at Debunker and his team's ability to tolerate sitting like this for this long.
Debunker

Post by Debunker »

After nearly a month of constant investigation and research of this castle, my group is calling it quits.

Our research has provided us with a few fluctuations on the Tri-Field EMF meters, motion detectors and K-II readers as well as some fragmented bits of shadows on the Thermal imaging camera’s that are doubtful at best. Therefore we have concluded no reason to believe there is haunted activity in this castle.

The stories about the “Headless Viking”, the “Mourning Maiden” and “Wandering Servant Boy” are all interesting stories, but they are nearly identical to any other amusing ghost story in structure and context. May they always provide a good source of intrigue and revenue for the castle’s tourism factory.

Before we had left the castle I had offered DK a job in my group. I see a lot of potential in the lad and given proper tutelage and guidance under my wing awhile I believe he would make a fine Parapsychologist. However he politely declined and stated he will be staying at the castle another day or two to research a bit further. I told him my offer is on the table should he ever change his mind.

As for the group and myself, we are returning home for a week to finish analysis and filing our reports and from there we’ll be off to South America to investigate and research some haunted Aztec ruins.
Elliott James Tobias III

DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Debunker, you left just when it got interesting. Last night, perhaps because of the full moon, there was another appearance by the wailing boy. This time I was fortunate enough to be one of the ones there for it. It was weird, as over the past few days I've felt like I had lost all control of my talents.

Anyways, I was just about to call it quits also last night when one of those old familiar feelings came back in. I got even more confirmation when the gadget you gave me started acting up, so I started walking the place using the gadget as a sort of compass. Finally I got to one of the sections under renovation when I saw it.

A classic haunting entity standing there before my eyes, exactly as described. The thing sort of beckoned to me with his arm and pleaded with his eyes while float/walking away from me. As I followed, I moved deeper into the parts under renovations. Unfortunately, my ability to follow abruptly stopped when it went through a wall.

I made my way around the to the other side of the wall (well, at least I think the other side. This place is a little confusing), but no entity. When I returned to where it started it was there again and we repeated the process. Unless someone knows how to get through a wall I don't know what to do next exactly. My general work is destroying these things not piecing together their actions.

My thumbs are getting sore, so I will finish this with. Help anyone?
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

We're here for you, dawg.

How To Get Though A Wall
1. Ram it with your shoulder.
2. Repeat Step 1 if necessary.

It's best to check with the wall's lawyers first, or your wallet will be hurting faster than you can say "criminal mischief in the second degree".

Little known fact: every packet of Kool-Aid comes with a disclaimer that says by using this product you are giving consent for the Kool-Aid Man to bust into your residence or place of business. You know it's true because someone on the internet said it.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
mrloucifer

Post by mrloucifer »

Ya know mate... explosives do wonders in moments like these.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
DarKnyht

Post by DarKnyht »

Yeah, putting my shoulder into a stone wall probably would not accomplish much more than a sore shoulder. And I doubt the owners of this place will agree to explosives in their "national treasure" (their words not mine). Eventually I figured out something else, but I probably should start by given a little background on this particular entity.

The story of the ghost servant boy is an interesting one. He was a commoner and would have never been heard of except for the events surrounding his death. I will relate the common version of the tale:

"The manor was throwing a celebration in honor some very powerful guests passing through the countryside. Everyone was supposed to be in the main hall participating or serving. The servant boy however had wandered off in the guest quarters for reasons now lost. He apparently came upon on of the female guests who had drank too much and decided to take advantage of the situation.

Fortunately, one of the noblemen also got bored and was drawn to the sounds coming from the room. A scuffle ensued and both the nobleman and the servant boy were severely injured. By the time the guard arrived the two were both almost near death. The lady involved claimed to remember nothing of the situation due to drinking too much.

A local priest was called in, but in the middle of the night both the servant boy and the nobleman died. The lord of the manor gave the above as the final confession of the servant boy and declared justice was served. The priest confirmed that it was the confession he heard, but would say no more on the subject."

Anyways, shortly after the events the first appearance of the servant boy happened. Those in the castle have always claimed that the servant boy is trapped wandering the halls forever as penitence for his actions. That is why some people (like me) can feel the overwhelming frustration and sorrow he emulates.

One interesting side note in the story is that the priest was killed by highwaymen a few weeks later. He was supposedly on the road to speak with the bishop about something very important.
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

DarKnyht wrote:Yeah, putting my shoulder into a stone wall probably would not accomplish much more than a sore shoulder.

Well, that's a sign you need more practice. :D
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
Tabloid Hound

Post by Tabloid Hound »

I do hope you pick up more details on this entity... its interesting material to say the least! Let me know if you need any research done on this side of the castle.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, and much more terrifying."