Bad Librarian

A place to seek help, or to offer services, dealing with the paranormal.
Omen

Bad Librarian

Post by Omen »

Greetings,

This would be my first post here, so a small bit of introduction is in order.

Here I go by the moniker 'Omen' of course. Part of that is because of what I do. I could be called a 'water-witcher', or a dowser, though those terms aren't entirely accurate. I am a consultant for various museums, universities, companies, libraries and private sector interests. This is in addition to owning an antiquities and rare books shop, both of which bring in a fair amount of lucrative business.

In the course of recent consultations and research I acquired a tome that for all intents and purposes appears quite genuine. This tome appears to be a knock-off of the infamous 'Necronomicon'. To those that aren't versed enough in the magic and arcane, or those that cannot perceive magic or enchanted things as such, would consider it to be genuine. Even the paper appears to be kosher. On close inspection though, it is not quite legitimate.

It contains a history that is supposedly held within the pages of the real Necronomicon, and some of those writings, from what knowledge I do have of the supposed tome, are matches. But... those writtings are not consistent, as there are differences, and variations. The spells and rituals contained within the book are somewhat accurate, based on my knowledge, but they are missing small, but key, elements that would allow these rituals to work in the hands of a dabbler. Those that possess enough arcane knowledge could fill in the gaps, but unless they were truly diabolical, or mad, would they want to do such things.

Written on a note inside the back cover, on a plain slip of paper was a web address. That address lead me here. The note also contained some annotations that this place might be a good resource for information, and for updates on the paranormal and the supernatural. So, I come to this group to look for some answers.

I found the book in the possession of an older kid trying to peddle the book off at my shop. I gave him a price that he seemed to accept, thinking that I believed it to be genuine. I also made sure to get his contact information, in case I 'sold it on commission'. Not the brightest crayon in the box, but it gave me a chance to keep tabs on him.

Can any of you answer me this: Why would a knock-off of an ancient and evil tome of magic lead me to a website, which I picked up off a kid trying to sell such a book to my bookshop in New York? Do any of you have the means to possibly point me in the right direction? Have any of you come across similar events recently in your various fields?

An opportunist as always, I must ask: Do you ladies and gentlemen have any items or books that might also need looking over?

That being said, I leave these questions in your qualified hands.

Omen
Michael T

Re: Bad Librarian

Post by Michael T »

WElcome to the boards Omen I am a practicioner of arcane arts and would like a chance to examine the tome. If it is as you say, no offense to you I always check things myself, I would be interested in purchasing the tome to keep it safe from people with no morals.

Michael T.
Beware the monster within, least it escape and take over your life.
Omen

Post by Omen »

Gimme an address, and I'll be there in a short time.

Among the wide array of people there are here, are there any active Sensitives, or those that can do such things as Psychometry?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Our webpage gets salted around a few places.

Sometimes I think that someone is recruiting for us by leaving it in places potentially interested parties would look.

That said, our New York contingient is surprisngly small here.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Omen

Post by Omen »

I guess you would be right, Mr. Caliburn. Then again, I'm not terribly suprised to have bumbled across this place. I do have a few of Dr. Lazlo's works on my home shelf. He was something of a mind ahead of his time, but I don't know if I buy all of his ideas. I'm still relatively new to actually getting involved with the paranormal, in any active or investigative capacity.

My family is full of psychics, but none of them really do much with it. My sister is learning to develop her abilities, so I'm wondering if she might not start getting involved. We're all familiar with the paranormal though, so it's not something new. I think they wear blinders still. To each their own though.
Eilonwy Solstice

Welcome to Lazlo, Omen.

Post by Eilonwy Solstice »

Welcome to Lazlo, Omen. Umm . . . may I ask what you mean by “active” sensitives?
Sometimes the only thing to be done is to feel one’s way through the darkness.
Omen

Post by Omen »

As in actively taking part in handling problems, questions, or needs brought to the Society or Agency, or active within Lazlo affairs.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

My apologizes for not responding sooner Omen, I'll PM meeting details later tonight to get together to examine the tome.

Michael T.
Beware the monster within, least it escape and take over your life.
Omen

Post by Omen »

Still waiting on contact information, Mr. T.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Omen we do have several people here who are of a sensitive bent. Thou I should ask what kind of information are you looking for?
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
Omen

Post by Omen »

Omen wrote:Among the wide array of people there are here, are there any active Sensitives, or those that can do such things as Psychometry?

There's your answer, Mr. Stalker.
Eilonwy Solstice

I do what I can with what I have been given, Mr. Omen.

I do what I can with what I have been given and try not to let my limitations set my boundaries. And yes, I have been known to psychically read objects from time to time.
Omen

Post by Omen »

Are you volunteering, Mrs. Solstice?
Eilonwy Solstice

That depends, I suppose . . . \

That depends, I suppose . . . among other questions I have: how far would you have to travel? Or could we meet halfway somewhere?
Omen

Post by Omen »

Depends on where you are. Currently, I'm in New York. I travel from Alaska to Zimbabwe.
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

Welcome to the board Omens. Seems you have more than enough help on this book business, but if you're interested I may have a few knick knacks laying around you'd be interested in. Maybe we can meet up and look them over.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Omen

Post by Omen »

What kind of knacks?

I tend to do as much selling as I do consulting.
Doctor Boggs

Post by Doctor Boggs »

I'll PM you the details and we can work out a meeting. I prefer to do any kind of business in person though, call me old fashioned. :wink:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Omen

Post by Omen »

Dr. Boggs, most of my business is face to face. I'm glad my family does most of the running of the shop, otherwise I might not be present enough to keep it open and running.

So, by all means, pm me some details and I'll make arrangements.

Return to “Classifieds”