Help needed with partner

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Bowie

Help needed with partner

Post by Bowie »

I've got my partner outfitted with a ParaOrdnance P-13 as a sidearm and she swears I've got her over armed. I'd appreciate it if anyone could please back me up on this one. In the work we do we face some VERY tough opponents who require a little more power and ammo to put down. I realize that she might be uncomfortable carrying a full sized .45 P-14 due to the extra weight and balance issues but I strive to give her a balance between power and capacity

If anyone can please help me convince her the 9mm she keeps thinking is enough isn't I would surely appreciate it for her safety and mine. Ron I think this might just be up your alley so feel free to chime in.
At any rate thank you all for your time and help. By the way Ron have you heard from Robin. I've been following his threads and I'm hoping he hasn't gotten himself into trouble.
I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and i'm all out of bubble gum
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Personally I'm a fan of the Para-Ords, but I don't think I'm going to give the answer you want to hear.

One of the prime considerations in choosing the right weapon is finding one that you are most comfrotable carrying and shooting. The reason for this is that if you are uncomfortable witht he weapon, you are less likely to use it properly or effectively.

As for effect on the target, when it comes to flesh and bone the 9 mm and the .45 both make the grade where it counts - they both go far enough itno a human body to damage vital organs and they will both break bones on their way there. Yes the .45 has a larger wound cavity - but not siginifigantly more so. In either case what matters is putting the bullet in a spot it will do damage, not the size of the hole it makes.

If your target has armour (or a thick skin) the 9 mm acctuallyout performs the .45 a little here, though if the target is armoured well enough to keep out the .45, you might as well use a rifle rather than a pistol.

In general, the 9 also allows you to pack more ammunition and fire more rapidly than the .45 - both of which are much more important if you are a relatively inexperienced shooter.

If you are worried that she doesn't have enough firepower for what you need to deal with, then I suggest you think the same for yoursellf. If a 9 mm isn'tenough, a .45 isn't going to be mcuh help either. I suggest you look to a 5.56 carbine or a good 20 (for her) or 12 (for you) guage shotgun as your primary arm and save the pistols for backup. If logn guns ain't your thing, then I suggest you let her use a 9, but get her to put in a lot of training so she can use it most efficently.

Oh, if you're wondering, my primary weapon of choice is a 12 guage semi-auto. I wouldn't recomend it to a beginner - stick to pump to start. My preferred side arm is currently in .40 - though I might be switching to the new .357 SIG round - if I can get a good supply in cheap. I also have a 5.56 carbine and a 7.62 semi auto for when i think the situation warrents it.

No, I haven't heard from Robin - or a lot of other people, lately.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Willie Long

Re: Help needed with partner

Post by Willie Long »

Damn, Para-Ordnance has a confusing layout.

Bowie wrote:In the work we do we face some VERY tough opponents who require a little more power and ammo to put down.

I've never met anything my kung fu couldn't handle, Jack. But most bail jumpers I run across try to keep out of arms' reach, so I've used plenty of guns in the past.

First off, I gotta echo Ron: if you need power, get a rifle. Pistols are just for backup.

That said, if you plan to work with this person regularly, I recommend getting the heaviest caliber you can both use with ease. Getting identical guns is best. If either of you is low on ammo, you can split what's left; if you're hurt and she loses her gun, she can use yours without missing a beat.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
http://usashaolintemple.org/
Bowie

Help with Partner

Post by Bowie »

Ron I agree with you and willie both about pistols being only for back up and that's what they're used for. Depending on the situation our primaries are usually H&K G-36ks, M-4 Carbines (I have a 40mm under/over for mine I can attach when it seems needed) or an assortment of 7.62mm Rifles we can choose from. Like I said my uncle is an ex merc so when it comes to ordnance we're covered.
As far as the not being able to give me the answer I wanted, I wanted her to be the most effectively armed and you gave me your honest professional opinion. The only thing I'll hold against you is the fact that she squeeled with glee right in my ear when she read your reply over my shoulder.

Willie I know just where you're coming from. I had armed us the way I did for the very reasons you mentioned. But if she feels better carrying a 9 I'll let her carry the 9 and see how it goes. Thank you both for taking the time to weigh in.

Ron check your pm box
Willie Long

Re: Help with Partner

Post by Willie Long »

Bowie wrote:But if she feels better carrying a 9 I'll let her carry the 9 and see how it goes.

You should carry it, too. I'm sure you're familiar with Maryann's Compendium of Contemporary Weapons. According to the latest edition, 9mm +P is as effective as .45 caliber. I'm sure you can get two Paras rated for +P ammo.

Ron, if you want some real hot loads, try the 10mm. It's basically a .40 caliber long. That's the one the F.B.I. tried for a while.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
Bowie

Post by Bowie »

I know willie I just prefer my .45 it's what I learned on.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

10 mm is a great loading, but there's very few weapons and not much in the way of affordable ammo for it. That's what's keeping me away from it. I'm also staying off the .357 SIG for the same reason at the momment.

I may get it at retail, but us small business owners still worry about the bottom line.

Delta Sierra
Celeste Darken

Post by Celeste Darken »

You all speak of guns as though there will be no end to ammunition. Or no trouble from police. Had I still been human, I would also suggest kung fu or martial arts. If you must be armed, consider knives.

As for myself, I need no armament. My fangs, martial arts, and heightened physical attributes are enough. But then, most others could only claim one of those. I understand completely and do not condemn those that hunt with their "toys."

Celeste Darken.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Guns are a very effective equaliser between us and the supernatural.

As for ammunition and legal issues - read some of my back posts, you'll see I do my best in regards to both.

Fortunately msot creatures seem to haunt areas where a few gunshots might go unnoticed or unreported.

Delta Sierra
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

I never saw the appeal of the .357 SIG when the magnum revolver's been around for years.

Celeste Darken wrote:Had I still been human, I would also suggest kung fu or martial arts.

Hell yeah. I'm a natural at it. The problem is most people won't take the time and don't have the focus to develop their skill to the point where it's effective against ... exotic beings. Like the werewolf I took out in January.
Lazlo Field Agent
More Qi! Train Harder!
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

But a .357 Magnum won't fit inside the grip of a high capacity automatic pistol.

Delta Sierra
Willie Long

Post by Willie Long »

Naw, but a revolver is more forgiving of imperfect ammo, like those hand-loaded silver bullets I'm sure you've used. That's also a selling point of a shotgun over a rifle.

Imagine what a load of blessed rocksalt could do to things that are sensitive to that material.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Depends on the generation of automatic you are using, how well you maintain it and how well your custom rounds match the performance of the standard loads. Seeing as I own a gun shop, I cna make sure that all those qualities are in place for maximum reliability - and so far I have yet to have a stoppage. I usually have 2 or 3 of the same pistol stashed about me, each loaded with a different kind of ammo, plus spare clips of standard, silver and whatever other special round I want to carry.

Now my preferred longarm for this work has always been a shotgun, mostly for the quick and easy chage of ammunition types, and good effect at the ranges we deal with.

Delta Sierra
Faerie Chaser

Post by Faerie Chaser »

Well, even though Sir Peterson trained me in ways of magick, I use a Russian PP 90. It works for me! For a pic, see: http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg10-e.htm
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Interesting weaposn those folding guns, but I do have a few problems with them.

1) Pulling it out and unfolding it is slower than just pulling out a regular SMG.

2) I can get similar compact carry yet large magazine capacity results with certain machine pistols which are cheaper.

3) Sights aren't all that great making accurate fire pretty hard to do.

4) Ergonomics ain't all that good.

Delta Sierra
Faerie Chaser

Post by Faerie Chaser »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Interesting weaposn those folding guns, but I do have a few problems with them.

1) Pulling it out and unfolding it is slower than just pulling out a regular SMG.

2) I can get similar compact carry yet large magazine capacity results with certain machine pistols which are cheaper.

3) Sights aren't all that great making accurate fire pretty hard to do.

4) Ergonomics ain't all that good.

True, but it comes in handy when traveling and the cops stops me and want to search the car because they had some complants of automatic or semi auto. gun fire. I try to be as nice as possible and ask them to please hurry, because I am late for a meeting. In their rush, they think it's something for the jack. And I am not going to tell them differently. :)

Cleaning spells comes in so handy at times.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Which is why you park welloutside the radius of the police cordon, limit the use of firearms, use suppressors or silencers and stash weapons where they won't be found but can be easily retrieved.

Besides, about 9 / 10 of my work is done in places where people don't call the cops.

Delta Sierra
Faerie Chaser

Post by Faerie Chaser »

Ron Caliburn wrote:Which is why you park welloutside the radius of the police cordon, limit the use of firearms, use suppressors or silencers and stash weapons where they won't be found but can be easily retrieved.

Besides, about 9 / 10 of my work is done in places where people don't call the cops.

I do use a silencer. But still. People still call the cops. Damn cell phones and nosy ass hikers! And it's hard to do that when the cops are on the only road out of an area. But, to each his own.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I think you operate in diffferent areas than I do.

Oh, how'd you manage to find a silencer that would fit a weapon without a muzzle?

Delta Sierra
Faerie Chaser

Post by Faerie Chaser »

Ron Caliburn wrote:I think you operate in diffferent areas than I do.

Oh, how'd you manage to find a silencer that would fit a weapon without a muzzle?

A LOT OF AFRO-RIGGING, to the gun it's self!!!

Besides the fact that I also have a dime thrower for a sniper rifle. That was rather hard to put together! But I know some guys who do custom orders.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I could do a dime thrower that can kill too, but there's no point. It won't be very effective and the dime won't stay stable in flight far enough for reliable accuracy.

A .22 would be more accurate, have a longer range and be easier to suppress.

Delta Sierra
Faerie Chaser

Post by Faerie Chaser »

Ron Caliburn wrote:I could do a dime thrower that can kill too, but there's no point. It won't be very effective and the dime won't stay stable in flight far enough for reliable accuracy.

A .22 would be more accurate, have a longer range and be easier to suppress.

You would be surprised at what my dime thrower can do, and at the range on them; Ron! It's what I use to hunt weres and vamps with...Well, I also use silver buckshot. I have a heck of a stash of old dimes. They are little wheels of death.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Now I know you ain't serious.

Delta Sierra
Bowie

Post by Bowie »

Ok I've been away for a while, but chaser seriously a dime thrower Rons right you're better off using something that's easier to work with and supply. But that's not entirely why I've checked in. Ron we need to find Robin post haste! I think I've run into those things he was talking about in his last posts.

An old college professor of mine called saying that he found something strange in the Everglades. He asked me to come out because he knew that I'd hunted and fished in the area for a long time and as a result knew the area. Something about evidence of a large species of atleast semi intelligent insect that supposedly predated man by atleast five thousand years. I know it sounds crazy but I went down there just to check it out. I owed the man that much. And what I found was chilling Not only was there evidence to support his claims. But my partner started to see people with those worm things Robin was talking about!
To make a long story short Ron there were giant humanoid insects I saw atleast fiffty ants and one that could fly. The worst part was an entire community of people infected with these grub things. The somehow got into these poor peoples skulls and and somehow controlled them. (Don't ever ask me how we found out please) We wound up killing everyone in the community and burning it to the ground. The local authorities are chalking it up to nutcases turning on eachother and since it didn't appear to leave the confines of the everglades their not worried about it officially.
I'm staying in the area for a while to keep an eye on things and to see if any more communities are infected. I think we might have a serious problem. Since you had the most contact with him I'd like you to contact Robin and have him contact me I've put out calls to a few people who run in our circles down here in case I need to form a posse for somemore bug bashing.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'll try to track him down.

Delta Sierra
Bowie

Post by Bowie »

Thanks Ron
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

just got an email about Ron's PM... once I read what he had to say I came as fast as I could.

since when are there more of these things??? just one nest of them was QUITE enough.

I suppose the first thing I should warn you to do is to get yourself off the local phone and power grids... don't bother cancelling your service, just go cut the lines, grab a generator and a cell-phone, and stock up on guns anyway... you do NOT want a Bug popping out of your computer screen when you think you're safe at home, believe me... it's a large part of why I haven't been here in so long...

I'll see what I can do about getting down there if you need me... I've been sitting on about three grand of government money for some Hurricane Katrina relief (hey, it was a good thing to do and it got me away from this stinking city for a couple weeks) for quite some time, but I'd say this more than qualifies as a rainy day... PM me with some details about where I'm going, if you please...
I'm not dead yet.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Those things can jump through your computer? Not nice.

Fortunately I keep a 12 guage within easy reach of pretty much everyplace I sit in my house.

Delta Sierra
The Watcher In Shadows

Post by The Watcher In Shadows »

Ron Caliburn wrote:
Fortunately I keep a 12 guage within easy reach of pretty much everyplace I sit in my house.

Always a good policy.

Ron Caliburn wrote:
I'm sure you're familiar with Maryann's Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.

I think I may have heard about that text. What types of weapons does it mention? I'm trying to learn more about the weapons that are available.

Is there anyone on these boards who prefers melee weapons or is it only me? To anyone who does I recomend wrist or forearm mounted blades, they are as quite as any melee weapon, spring out faster than you can reach for a sword, work with many martial arts fighting styles, are concealable, and also protect the arm you are wearing them on.

The "Predators" from the series of the same name use these weapons for a good reason.
It is better to equip the warriors of light to fight thier own battles than to fight for them.

I ask only two things, never try to find out who I am and never ask where I get my information.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I have a balde that I have custom worked for maximum effectiveness against the supernatural - but in my expeirnce it's usually far safer to stand off and avoid the claws and fangs instead of moving within reach.

As for the forearm blades, perhaps they are faster to draw - if you have a properly set up sprng loaded rig. But in motion they are no faster than a good knife or sword. The sword also lets you stand a bit further out of reach. The sword will also stick in deeper when you do make a hit. A lot of martial arts also work with a variet of swords, knives, staves, axes, sickles, clubs, spears and sticks.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra