Lake Monster

Notices, advisories, and questions answered by official Lazlo Agency staff.
Ron Caliburn

Lake Monster

Post by Ron Caliburn »

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/213 ... source=rss

Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Is something lurking in Lake Washington?
It looks like 'head of an alligator,' Medina residents tell police

By GORDY HOLT
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

MEDINA -- Is it a croc or a crock?

Are razor-toothed reptiles patrolling the waters of Lake Washington? Or has a new suburban legend sprung to life?

Medina wants to know; so does Mercer Island. So do the men and women of law enforcement in both towns.

It was just Wednesday that two reports came in to Medina police that described a shape that looks like "the head of an alligator" near the docks in Lake Washington's Fairweather Bay.

No Bigfoot. No Loch Ness Monster. Not even a critter befitting the descriptions of ancient Indians, whose legends had spotted, horned serpents and other assorted monsters living in the lake.

Still the reports were real enough for police.

Medina police spokeswoman Shannon Gibson would not reveal identities, but said each report was taken seriously and checked out by police -- one by a Medina officer on foot, the other by the Mercer Island Marine Patrol.

"Both were essentially the same," Gibson said. "The people said they saw something that seemed to be a small alligator. The one report said 'head of an alligator.'

"Both were seen from the docks of their residences."

Gibson said there have been no other sightings reported since the two called in on Wednesday.

In a phone call to Sgt. Kim Chandler in the state Department of Fish and Wildlife's regional office in Mill Creek yesterday, there was a long pause before Chandler finally said, "Well, after that cougar was found in Discovery Park back in the 1980s, I've learned never to say never.

"But, in this case I'd have to say, even if it were a caiman (the crocodile's smaller cousin, a native of Central and South America common to the pet-store trade), it would be highly, highly unlikely to see it in that lake this time of year."

His reason, he said, has to do with the nature of caimans and the nature of Pacific Northwest weather.

Crocs and gators and caimans, he said, are coldblooded creatures whose survival depends on the heat of tropical climates.

"Know how cold that lake is right now?" he asked. "Probably something like 47 degrees, which means an animal like that would last for, oh, maybe 20 minutes."

Guides for the care of caimans suggest owners have an enclosure with temperatures that range from 80 to 97 degrees.

Chandler recalled the caimans finally captured sunning themselves at Seattle's Green Lake some years ago, and the caiman captured at the north end of Lake Washington a few years later.

In both cases, he said, it was summer, and in the Green Lake case the water temperature had been pushing past 70 degrees -- still cold by tropical standards.

The owner of a Bellevue pet store has a theory how such a critter might make it outdoors.

Pets & Things owner Elaine Mackin said she and her husband, Bob, don't offer crocodilians for sale at their pet store in Bellevue's Overlake shopping district.

The animals bought as fingerlings grow and grow.

Crocodilians grow fast enough in captivity to make a mess before you know it.

"They're a pain in the (posterior)," she said. "First thing you know, they're 3 feet long and looking to kill you."

So like the bunny set free in a local park, the caiman is released to fend for itself in the decidedly temperate Northwest

Should the Medina sightings turn out to be more than phantasmagorical, Chandler said, the creature spotted might well have been a turtle up for a little sun on an unseasonably warm February day.

"But even if it was what somebody thought it was," he said, "it won't be eating every Cub Scout in the neighborhood. Most of these caimans we've seen released are not much more than a foot long and wouldn't be a danger to anyone, especially not in these temperatures."

The Medina reports nevertheless have people looking twice at splashes in the lake these days.

Michael Peters, a Fairweather Bay neighbor, said yesterday that he is among them.

"I went out to my boat and saw this big swirl in the water," he said. "We have muskrats. We have some freshwater otters. We have ducks that dive. But usually you see them come up.

"This one didn't."

Looks like more weirdness for the Northwest.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

You need help.

Oooooh, fishing trip anyone?
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I think we're going to need a bigger boat.

Delta Sierra
Tabloid Hound

Post by Tabloid Hound »

WOW! I totally missed this article or I would have forwarded this one on myself. Good eye Mr. Caliburn.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Tab! Where ya been?

Delta Sierra
Tabloid Hound

Post by Tabloid Hound »

Good to hear from you too,

As for me, well, PC's, tabloid subscriptions and bills dont pay for themselves so I was out of town on buisiness. But it looks like the Ron had my back and held the tabloid fort while I was away. YOU DA MAN RON!
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Tabloid Hound wrote:Good to hear from you too,

As for me, well, PC's, tabloid subscriptions and bills dont pay for themselves so I was out of town on buisiness. But it looks like the Ron had my back and held the tabloid fort while I was away. YOU DA MAN RON!
We're encouraging him again. :twisted:
С волками жить, по-волчьи выть.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I don't need encouragement - just more ammo.

Delta Sierra
Judas

Post by Judas »

I know someone, who knows someone who may be able to get a harpoon.

However I will have to see some hard evidence first, people 'see' monsters in lakes all the time and the flight from England wouldn't be worth it, I may as well take a trip to Lock Ness.

On that note has anyone done any serious work into the history behind "Nessie" or the fact that something primal may live in the old waters?

Not doubting, just needing more proof.

Mr Judge.
When in doubt, get the hell out!
Tabloid Hound

Post by Tabloid Hound »

Well, I have done some serious looking into "Nessie" and "big blue" and the like. There are as many reports are there are ivestigators when it comes to Nessie, but as you know there is nothing conclusive as of yet. There are lots of different speculations though.

The magical community claims Nessie is an etherial being, which means she's a ghost from time long past that continually haunts the lake, also known as a "Replay Haunting".

A new possibly recently "Surfaced" as well. Many lake monsters have actually turned out to be certain large fish. For example, in Lake Washington which is just East of Seattle, a lake monster was sighted many times by credible observers over something like a span of 50+ years. Well, a few years back, the corpse of the "monster" fish drifted ashore, and proved to be a 900 pound female sturgeon. From its size and growth patterns, marine biologists estimated that it was well over a century old.

There are the other obvious objections the debunkers all give like inanimate object (logs and debris) and hoaxes to keep in mind as well.

If there is a monster in the lake, its more scared of us than we are of it as far as Im concered. Nessie is about as elusive as Elvis and aliens. :wink:
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

About the Harpoon - are you talking a spear with a barbed head, a weapon firing an explosive projectile with a line on it or an anti-ship missile?

One gets my aproval, one gets my respect and one gets my undieng admiration.

Delta Sierra
Judas

Post by Judas »

Ron Caliburn wrote:About the Harpoon - are you talking a spear with a barbed head, a weapon firing an explosive projectile with a line on it or an anti-ship missile?

One gets my aproval, one gets my respect and one gets my undieng admiration.

It would be option 2. I aided a fisherman a couple of years ago with a little problem, the guys been begging to replay the favor ever since.

Though I will look into option 3. :D

I always like a good monster hunt, you never know what your going to get.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Or what'll get you.

Delta Sierra
Lucas Priest

Post by Lucas Priest »

Actually, I worked with a team that utilized a kinda giant taser on a "lake monster" up around lake tahoe. The key is proper insulation...

And lotsa, lotsa volts. Worked like a charm, but it was just a big 'gator.
The science of any sufficiently advanced society would appear as magic to those less developed...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Interesting method.

Did you know that in WW2 the Brits were workign on a giant tesla coil that they hoped would electrocute an army that was convieniently going to march between the electrodes?

Delta Sierra
Lucas Priest

Post by Lucas Priest »

Yes, and the Germans actually had one up and running at a research facility in poland. A misfire killed all the personel, and no one looked into the facility until the end of the war. Scince the facility was deep inside a uranium mine, the deaths were atributed to radiation poisoning, but I have some references in my fathers journal showing diagrams of the tesla coil, and some interesting schematics on a non-working proto anti gravity device.
The science of any sufficiently advanced society would appear as magic to those less developed...
Judas

Post by Judas »

Never been to good with electricity, but going near water with it is not my idea of a good time.
Lucas Priest

Post by Lucas Priest »

Hence the need for insulation. But stay out of the water if possible, of course.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Yeah, I bet!

Delta Sierra
adorabilly

Not just in the northwest. I'm in china, and look here

Post by adorabilly »

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/200 ... 3top8.html

So the issue is global. I wonder how many of these "super salmon" who eat people, dogs, and livestock there are around the world. And I was planning on taking the family there for a trip. Tsk tsk.

I don't like fishing if I'm the bait.
Do you really want to know what goes bump in the night?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

And let's nto get into what happens when they spawn.

Anybody feel like dynamite fishing?

Delta Sierra
adorabilly

Don't know if this is related or not,

Post by adorabilly »

Check this out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7654561/?GT1=6428

Not sure if it is related to the lake monsters, but something is definately going on.
adorabilly

Post by adorabilly »

Here is the "official" report/hypothesis.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429/ap_ ... MlJVRPUCUl

On a side note< i'm so glad that may holiday is here in china. We have packed up the kids and gone to beijing away from the mysterious issues at our school. I will return a couple of days early, and see what I can find out about our mysterisous issues, and maybe take care of it. Then my wife and the kids can come home too.
Joseph Darkhold

Post by Joseph Darkhold »

Good Luck with that school. I have this feeling your going to need it...
"Ex Ignorantia ad Sapientiam, e Luce ad Tenebras"
ash_wednesday

Post by ash_wednesday »

Ron Caliburn wrote:I don't need encouragement - just more ammo.
lol. That should be on a t-shirt!!
"She looked good in a 'take me, I'm drunk'sorta way."

"I'm not really evil, I just think in a evil way.."

"Gee officer, I thought she was 18. Honest..."
adorabilly

Ah the wonders of our school!!

Post by adorabilly »

I know I have been out of touch for a while now, and some had been worrying what was happening. Well let me tell you a bunch has been happening here, and it looks like it will get worse.

With the opening of the burial grounds here it appeared to release some sort of entombed demon. this thing was bizarre in the extreme. It somehow could control electical devices, going into them and taking them over. At one point it was trying to take over the local internet connection, and we had to act fast to contain it here on campus (mind you there were some "mysterious" internet outages).

We got that taken care of, and seem to have exorcised this demon with extreme prejudice (and some home made explosives as it was in the computer mainframe controllign the local electronic doors, stoves, and other various electronic devices on campus).

Now we have two more mysterious instances and we are not sure if they are related.
Bird flu... it isn't what it appears to be. These victims appear to be suffering from the flu, but they also appear to be possessed, and the symptoms are very similar. The people possessed seem to be able to pass on this "infection" by touch.

and if you have been paying attention to this benzine water contamination in Harbin, it also doesn't appear to be exactly "normal"

some weird things are going on around here.... I'll try to keep you in the loop.
The Traveler King

Post by The Traveler King »

Could you describe this entombed creature, please? The general description sounds familiar.
adorabilly

Post by adorabilly »

I believe it was some type of possessing entity, but it was like nothing I have ever seen before. We managed to get it out of the comptuer, and there was a slight blue shimmer in the air, and just being in its presence made the hairs all over our bodies stand up straight like with static electrictiy.

After getting it out of the computers and electrical devices because we had killed power all over the city (p.s note to self, when you blow up the local power grid, the chinese police are NOT very happy, boy it was nice to play "I don't understand, I don't speak chinese, I was just walking by" and have it actually work)

This entity then managed to enter a RUNNING car, and take it over, but the one thing that saved our lives was this entity seemed to have to learn each and every electronic device it entered, so we were able to use the time to then disable the vehicle.

The wierdest thing was that it took over a person (he looked like a funny marionette), one of the students here managed to kick it into the river. The water basically exploded electrictity going everywhere, and lots of dead fish.

We have assumed it was "destroyed" since there were no more instances of funny electrical issues. Now the burial chamber appears to be very early buddhist time period, and it looks like this demon may have been some sort of predator, or local god of lightening. I'm not too sure of the ancient chinese translations of the inscriptions on the burial chamber. The local students are just as baffled.
adorabilly

Post by adorabilly »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8972357/

MOre fish killing people. Of course it could be a real fish.

maybe scared to death?
The Watcher In Shadows

Post by The Watcher In Shadows »

I will tell you that I have a first hand knowledge of water dwelling reptiles and they can be trickier than you would think.
Many kinds can hibernate for years or even decades at a time. Reptiles also tend to have long life spans, especcially acquatic ones and this, combined with a regular hibernation cycle means that an animal could live for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years!

If anyone else has more information on these lake monsters I would like to know. This is a long term interest of mine.
It is better to equip the warriors of light to fight thier own battles than to fight for them.

I ask only two things, never try to find out who I am and never ask where I get my information.