At the hospital

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
Ron Caliburn

At the hospital

Post by Ron Caliburn »

It all started simply enough.

The doc said it was time to get my jaw unwired, apparently quite a bit ahead of schedule, seems under Hannah's care I've recuperated in about half the time one would normally expect. So after last week's check in, they booked me for today.

The procedure went smoothly enough - though it is a fairly boring affair, sitting there, looking up at surgical masks, splatter screens and a light. I made 'em do a local becase I really don't trust being unconcious when someone has a number of sharp impliments nearby.

Hannah ammused herself by going to the hospitals internet cafe, visiting the children's ward and what not. She always came back to check in to tell me where she was going to go.

Anyway, the procedure took a few hours, and when they finsihed they had me hang around for a while so they could see how well I could talk after the local wore off.

It's really odd hearing yourself again after a few weeks of silence, especially when your lips and tongue aren't quite up to the task of proper articulation.

I was going through a series of speech tests that repeatedly reduced Hannah to fits of giggling when the gunshots started.

A semi and an automatic by the sounds of it, down in the first floor.

I pointed the nurse to a phone and said something like "Nyan-wub-wub" and reached for the coat I'd brought with me.

Given where I was and what I'd be doing, I didn't have much of my kit with me, but I readied what I did have and carefully stuck a small mirror out into the hall. I checked both ways and slid outside. I signalled Hannah to follow me. Given the recent threats, I wanted her where I could watch her until I could get a better handle on the situation.

I slid up to a window and carefully peaked out. In front of the entrance was alarge sedan. Standing beside the open door of the sedan was a man cradling an AKSU.

At that moment the elevator down the hall dinged.

Motioning for Hannah to follow quietly, I began to creep towards the elevator - the screaming and stampeding feet told me what was happening in that direction.

I fell back to a cross hall and pulled out my mirror again.

I didn't have to wait long to see a leather clad man making his way down the hall, a compact machine pistol probing every doorway along his path. He wasn't shooting, even in rooms I knew were occupied.

He obviously was after a specific objective.

I stashed the mirror and readied myself at the corner.

A few moments later the hand and machine pistol entered my field of view and I struck. My left hand went for the gun, pushing it down and away. My right hand swung in a large arc, adding as much force as I could muster behind the collapsible baton which I extended end-first square into the startled man's larynx.

He dropepd to his knees and I folowed up with a strike to the temple, felling him and causing his gun to clatter to the floor.

I was grabbing for it when I heard Hannah gasp behind me.

I whirled around and stared straight down the barrel of a gun.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

Fu, err, damnit Ron, you aren't nearly paranoid enough.
Dym, Ваша боль будет вечна
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

It is good to see you survived, Mr. Caliburn.
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hi Everyone,

I was a little startled when the guy behind me grabbed me and pulled me away from Pa, but all the fightin' with my cousins back in the compound paid off and before he could pull the trigger I launched my foot into his crotch.

Pa grabbed the gun and delivered an uppercut that is going to have our attacker getting his own set of wires. A couple of kicks from Pa made sure the feller was going to stay down.

He handed me the self-loader and pointed out the safety to me.
"Deaffthon-wun" Deathcon1, the code back at the compound for when thigns went very wrong. He pointed ta a room cross the hallway. I nodded and went in. As per procedure I locked and barricaded the door and took cover with the pistol ready for whoever came through the door without the proper password.

Then I heard the shooting outside.
I will be who I chose to be.
Bert_the_Turtle

Wow. Way to go Hannah! *Cheers!*

What happened next!?
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Yep, the kid's definitely a chip off the old block. :D

Still think she would make one hell of a warrior.
Konrad Andreas is at peace. I am something new.

WWVLD
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I took the machine pistol and worked my way down the stairs to the library. I could hear the gunman by the car shouting into the building.

Russian by the sound of it, so I was pretty confident about who had sent these folks.

I debated a few scenarios, but pawn or not, he had an assault rifle and a target rich environment - he needed to be neutralized fast.

It wasn't the most subtle of plans, but fortunately he couldn't see me because the reflections on the glass between us. I took careful aim and let loose with three rounds through the window and scored with all three in the centre mass.

He dropped almost immediately and I started firing on the car, trying to blow out the tires. The driver, realizing what was up laid rubber as he accelerated away to the ring road out of the hospital grounds.

I ran over to the downed gunman, popping a few more into him to keep him down while I picked up the AKSU. I kept going and sprinted across the parking lot and over a grass median.

I turned to face the oncoming car and raised the rifle. Knowing his only way out was through me, he gunned the engine, charging me.

A magazine later, steam billowing from the engine, both front tires shredded, the windshield shattered the car veered left, hopped the curb and slammed into a light pole.

I dropped the now empty AK and pulled the machine pistol out of my pocket and advanced on the now smoking car. The door swung open and the driver tumbled out.

Dazed and battered, I don't know what he was thinking, but he tried to raise his sidearm at me . . . the machine pistol finished him off a split second later.

Other than a few tense moments with the police until they ascertained I was the one who brought down the gunmen, and the difficulties of properly articulating the password for Hannah to let me in without shooting me, that's pretty much it for the story.

Pretty impressive they managed to find where and when my appointment was - though they weren't accurate enough or they could have collected Hannah when I was in the chair.

In other words, dym's boys couldn't do it right.
Last edited by Ron Caliburn on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Wow. Nice job Ron! You guys are definitely coming to my next training event even if I have to go so far as to hold it near D.C.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

Why would Dym go after Hannah?

He seems determined to hurt Kolya and his team. How does going after Hannah help him achieve his goal?

WWVLD
Jeremiah Dark

Post by Jeremiah Dark »

"To silence the sleeping lamb before she becomes a roaring lion. She knows something genius. Natalia told her something and that information is enough for him to kill over.

Its a shame his men screwed up. All that intell gone to waste. Better luck next time Dym."
"Born Of Lust; Dust To Dust. Born In Sin; Come On In."
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

A roaring lion huh. Hehehehe

Told you Ron, she is going to make a hell of a warrior.

WWVLD
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

THAT FOOL!!!!

HE COULD HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!!
By the hands of you fools, my Master shall be freed.
Koralth

Post by Koralth »

Is that another alliance I hear breaking, Bass?
"God, I know you say you love all of your children equally, but you don't, do ya? I'm on to you, big guy." Dr. Percival Cox
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

As we were never allied in the first place fool, it must be something else you hear breaking. Most likely that fools neck, if I should ever get a hold of it.
GhostSpider

Post by GhostSpider »

And we are shown yet another reason why evil can never work together, even for the short term.

I wish you luck in hunting dym down Voice.

WWVLD
Koralth

Post by Koralth »

The Dark Voice wrote:I would not even consider working with the vampire.

Dym seems content to ruin Kolya's team, so he won't get any trouble from me. Should he wish to expand his horizons, well, its a big planet and my master is more than willing to share.

OK, not an alliance, but a general agreement that he could do what he wanted on this "big planet".
"God, I know you say you love all of your children equally, but you don't, do ya? I'm on to you, big guy." Dr. Percival Cox
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Hmm too many evil cooks ruining the soup I guess.
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

Yes, but my master is not here yet and if anything should happen to the child, then he might never be free. So you can see my reluctance to be very understanding.
Shadowstalker

Post by Shadowstalker »

Oh so you and your master think you have plans for Hannah? I will save Ron the trouble.GO NEAR HER AND YOU AND YOUR MASTER WILL DIE!!!
To find the darkness you have walk in the shadows.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

My plans do not rely on the girl, she would just make things much easier.
Koralth

Post by Koralth »

Then do as Shadow and everyone else advises. Stay away from Hannah.

Also, while you're at it, stay the hell away from my house.
The Dark Voice

Post by The Dark Voice »

I've got what I needed from Illinois. Your house is safe, as are you if you no longer interfere with my plans.
Koralth

Post by Koralth »

I don't have any plans in the immediate future to mess around with anyone's plans, so let's all hold to that.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hi Folks,

I'm not a warrior, at the compound we just expected the end of the world ta come sometime before the next sunset so we prepared as such.

Hannah

PS Besides, I think he wanted ta take me, not ta kill me.
I will be who I chose to be.
Bert_the_Turtle

Have you ever been trained in the use of knives as a weapon Hannah?
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

What she does and doesn't know will remain a secret until necissary.

She can protect herself though.

Delta Sierra
Bert_the_Turtle

Alrighty.

Good answer Ron.
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

And you say I'm not paranoid enough.

Delta Sierra
Jeremiah Dark

Post by Jeremiah Dark »

The Dark Voice wrote:As we were never allied in the first place fool, it must be something else you hear breaking. Most likely that fools neck, if I should ever get a hold of it.

"Are you the own that sent those merc's after Holister Dym? Damn it, you were told bout shitting in another man's cat box Boss. We offer you aid, and you turn round and slap us in the face.

Don't make this personal Dym, you ain't the only one with agendas, ain't that right Voice?

So if them were your boys Dym, next I will ship them back to door in Ziplock snack bags, GOT IT!

Best be careful whose toes you be stepping on Boss."
"Born Of Lust; Dust To Dust. Born In Sin; Come On In."
KonThaak

Post by KonThaak »

Well, I'm glad you pulled through okay, man.

I wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. The night when you sustained the injuries that necessitated having your jaw wired shut inspired me... At least, it did when I had enough of a mind to be inspired. Again.

I guess Gabe and I got too heavy-handed to have a repeat of your night.

I'll tell y'all what went down later... Suffice to say that I've been better again since...uh, I wanna say Thursday. I've been painting the house since then, and working and stuff. Lex wasn't near as pissed as Gabe and I thought she'd be...

Then again, she might have a fifth doll soon. So that might've helped deaden her anger towards us.

Akasha's happy to be home, as are Cubrious and Claw, who went to the mansion with me. Gabe and I decided, after he helped me recover, to make like I was still down. We were hoping that a helpless KT would be too tasty a target for Jeremiah or the Voice to pass up... We were also hoping that they would take Gabriel's insults as simply bravado, and more or less ignore him.

Alas, it seems it fell through...

And my vacation week from work is now officially up. Spent it doing a crapload of work, and getting next to nothing really done... ~.~ And tomorrow I get to go back to work. Yay.

Anyway, just checking back in.

Again, Ron, great to hear you're okay.
I am not A bitch...I am THE bitch. And to you, I'm MS Bitch.