Easter with the Backyard Hellbeast

Accounts of personal experiences, especially from those who hunt the supernatural. We offer this space in hopes that our members can hear about, and learn from, the exploits of others.
BraveSirRobin

Easter with the Backyard Hellbeast

Post by BraveSirRobin »

5:30 AM, wake up to help my mom get my little brother ready for church... she's in the choir, so they have to be their ludicrously early. In retrospect, I probably should've gone along too...

6:30, the bitch and the brat depart, I check all the locks in the house, make sure my mother hasn't been stupid enough to let the cats out, and hole up in my room with the cats and the dog, thinking the wooden sword I picked up a couple years ago at the Renaissance Festival is pathetically little protection against anything that can get past the front door.

7:00ish, manage to get back to sleep, cuddling up to my sad little bit of protection.

9:14, hideous squealing from outside wakes me up and I suddenly reconsider my decision not to go to Easter services. Let the dog out of his cage so he can slow knaw on the thing's ankle (or whatever's down at that level) if it manages to get in... cats are very unhapy with this.

9:52, screeching stops.

10:00, mother and child come home, and I'm put in charge of keeping the kid distracted while dear old mommy plays Easter Bunny. Fearing a round of prayer circles cause the devil is posessing my senses, I say nothing to mother.

10:10, mother screams from outside... Wicket (the dog) runs to the front door and freaks out, ready to defend her... I do nothing, choosing to stay with the kid instead.

10:15, Easter egg hunt is cancelled by Mother, who has just found that there are severed bunny heads spread all over our yard and some kind of arcane symbols written in their blood on the walls out back. The thing, along with being much smarter than I'd thought before, apparently has a sense of humor.

11:00, festivities continue as normal with an indoor easter egg hunt. The brat gets way more candy than he can possibly eat, I get none because turning 18 somehow automatically removed any fondness for sugar I may have once had. :roll:

5:00 PM, I am told that if I do not go out and clean up the mess, I am kicked out of the house...

5:15, my mother starts taking my stuff out to the curb... I reconsider.

5:30, discover that rabbit blood is really hard to wash off of a white wall.

6:00, hinges on the shed doors creak.

6:05, I'm halfway to the local library before I realize people are going to wonder why I'm covered in blood... I keep going anyway.

6:12, wonder how I got to the library so fast when it usually takes me twenty minutes... fear is a powerful motivator.

6:13, am reminded libraries are closed on Sundays... hang out at gas station instead.

7:30, get worried about the cats and start my way home.

7:32, start running after hearing a twig snap off to my right, followed shortly by a dog ahead of me completely freaking out.

7:45, get home. Mother's car is gone from the driveway, she's probably at evening service. Could swear I see something moving at the back of the house... it looked huge. Cats are idiotically lazing around on the front porch... I throw the door open, kick them through, and slam it shut behind me, scrambling to lock it.

7:46, get cats and dog into the bathroom, theoretically the safest room in the house since it has no exterior walls, then run around the house grabbing all the candles I can find. Lock myself into the bathroom with warring pets and struggle to remember what that witch friend from summer camp tried to teach me about circles of protection.

7:48, get bad feeling about mirror, venture out of bathroom to find a sheet to cover it with.

7:49, grab black sheet off the back of the couch--which is right next to the big glass doors. Hear loud metallic crash as something knocks over the (long abandoned) patio swing right on the other side of the door. Wicket and the cats start freaking out. I take half a second to grab the iron fire poker from by the fireplace and run back to the bathroom. Fling open the door and jump through, slamming it shut behind me, and run right into... myself. Max (the big grey tabby) is up on his shoulder, apparently trying to get at his jugular, Wicket (the tail-less Shih Tzu) is hanging somewhat feebly off of his ankle, Tipper (the smaller basic Tabby) lies unconcsious in the bathtub in a pool of her own blood.

~7:50, me and my double are literally at each others throats. He's inhumanly strong, so I quickly find myself backed up against the door, firepoker knocked out of my hands. Wicket continues to hang onto the me-thing's ankle like the bulldog he isn't... I'd later discover that my double's kicks had broken his back legs and several of his ribs. Max is out of commision by this point, stumbling around with a kitty-concussion. Scrabbling for any kind of weapon on hand, I nearly burn my hand on one of the lit candles still laying around from my failed attempt at a circle of protection. I grab it and slam it into my doppelganger's eye, hot wax and broken glass filling his ocular cavity. He stumbles back and I recover my firepoker, quickly knocking him down and pulverizing his skull. He vanishes in a wispy cloud of shadows, floating back into the mirror.

7:52, I tear up some towels and do my best to treat the pets' wounds. Everything's quiet.

7:55, I leave the bathroom, trying to figure out if it's safe yet. Looking out on of the back windows, I see a flash of what might be a tentacle slipping back into the shed as the doors seem to close themselves. Apparently, the thing has had its fun for the night.

7:56, realizing that going to a Vet is probably not the best idea, I get on the computer (my only means of communication with the outside world... we have no phoneline in our house) and rapidly send out e-mails to all of my local contacts, hoping they may for once be useful and know a psi-healer in the area.

8:30, some bitch in an overly elaborate white robe shows up, cranky about being called on to heal mere beasts. I resist the urge to slap her or make fun of her SCA fashion sense, showing her to the bathroom. She sets Wicket's bones, stops Tipper's bleeding, and does what else she can... then asks where her money is. So much for the kindness of strangers.

8:45, I grab a handful of my mom's jewelry at random... she's got too much anyway. Flower bitch departs. I set about the task of cleaning up the bathroom... can't let the bible-thumping Nega see things as they are, who knows what she'll think I've been doing if she finds broken glass and blood everywhere.

9:30, Mother comes home to find the pets oddly subdued and me at the computer, as per usual...

10:30, she heads off to bed, blissfully unaware of anything weirder than bunny dismemberment--which she'll surely blame on the potheads that have a little hide-out (complete with couch) in our hedge, nevermind that there hasn't been any sign of them in months--going on.

11:30, I prepare to post all this and take up Ron on his offer of help when I hear something moving outside the window to my right. I look up and see a severed bunny head on the ledge outside the window, posed as if it's looking in at me... and it definitely wasn't there before. I nearly pee my pants before ushering the cats into my room, grabbing the firepoker and candles, and holing myself up again until morning.

6:00AM, I finally get to sleep... nothing of note has happened, other than the occasional twig snapping or other mundane yet spooky noise.

4:00 PM, I wake up, come to my computer, and set about my usual business, including starting to type this up again...

6:25, just now, I finish... and note that the door to the shed is ajar. Must get firepoker and candles...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm stopped for the night and all I can say is you did pretty well there Robin. You were scared, but you did manage to keep your head and function well under a lot of stress.

If you want me to come by and lend you a hand putting that thing away for good - which I think needs doing by the way - send me a PM with where to find you and a time when your mother won't be home.
Ain't nuthin' that can't die.

Delta Sierra
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

Sorry to take so long getting back in touch... my computer's been acting unusually crappy lately... I think I may have to add a gremlin to my list of troubles.

Anyway, I just got back from a two day trip to my Grandmother's house for some big town wide garage sale thing... no big deal, except for what I found under the guest bed and managed to sneak back here (which was no easy task... that house is FULL of creaky floorboards): an old, single-shot break-open .410 shotgun (at least, it said .410 on the barrel... the other metal part said "Bridge Gun Company" and "Black Prince", if that means anything)... kind of rusty and beaten up, but it looks like it might work. Of course, I've barely touched so much as a BB gun in my entire life, so my assessment should be taken with a grain of salt, and I have next to no idea how to use it properly... oh, and I have no ammo... plus, it's a .410 and it's only a single-shot, which probably means it may as well be a popgun against that thing. Still, it's a start... :?

The thing seems to have been out doing... something... somewhere... for most of the week. The shed door remained open from the time I first noticed it was on Monday, and there has been no other sign of the creature since. Looking out the back window, I do see that the door's closed now though... time to bring my little surprise in from it's hiding place with the spare tire and start figuring out when Mother won't be home...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

How's it going lad?

A .410's a pretty good choice. While it's not as potent as most shotguns, it's still better than most handguns, it gives you some flexibility in loadings and best of all, it's got only a fraction of the recoil of a 12 guage.

Delta Sierra
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

Blasted computer keeps quitting on me whenever I try to log in and post...

short version of what I just spent some time typing up, only to have wiped out: think the thing's miffed... we locked the door to the shed yesterday, this afternoon I found the back wall of the shed torn halfway out so the thing could get back in... plus a couple uprooted bushes, a tree snapped in half, and a trail like some giant slug was dragging itself along the ground. Also found the couch from the druggie hangout in our thicket torn up and covered in long dried blood, and my dog chewing on what appear to be a couple metacarpals he found under one of the cushions... for those who didn't take anatomy class, metacarpal means hand bone... so much for this thing having no human casualties...

have decided to give up the ghost of secrecy, since I'm probably pretty well screwed at this point anyway. Mother's going back down to Grandma's this weekend... I've convinced her to let me stay behind. This means anyone who wants to help should show up on Friday at about 5:30, since she should be gone by then. Rather than giving complicated directions to my house, here's the biggest landmark in town. Somehow I get the feeling you've been there before Mr. Caliburn. Look for the guy carrying the big red and black stuffed zebra.

oh, and before I go and get myself some ammo tomorrow, a quick question: while doing a little Googling on my new toy, I read that a .410 can fit a .45 Long Colt pretty well... any idea as to the veracity of such claims Ron?
Tabloid Hound

Post by Tabloid Hound »

I wish I had the ability to be of more help, but I wish you the best of luck in dealing with the thing. If I know anything about Ron, he's sure to help you solve your problem, and I breath a sign of relief for you knowing that. I'm sure if Louis was'nt laid up right now, he'd be out there as well.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, and much more terrifying."
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

You're closer than I thought - see you in a couple of days.

The .410 will take .45 Colt, heck you can even toss in .45-70, but there's a word of caution here. .45-70 and some of the more powerful .45 Long Colt rounds might be a little too much power for your gun to hande, especially if it's an old piece. You should probably have a qualified gunsmith take a good look at it before you start experimenting. Fortunately you'll meet one who works for peanuts in a couple of days.

Delta Sierra
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Oh yeah, check your private message mailbox Robin.

Delta Sierra
Debunker
Location: My Paranromal team is based in the U.K., but we travel world wide

Post by Debunker »

Ron, I know your more level headed than others seem to display on this site, but I ask you to think twice before you do anything stupid. I'd hate read the morning paper one day and see you get arrested for shooting some hoax prankster kids up one night. This story reeks of prank activity, and whatever Sir Robin thinks he's seen is not a monster.

Just be careful, I dont agree with your methods or beliefs, but your still my friend.
Elliott James Tobias III
AKA: Debunker

"The truth is indeed out there...science has been pointing it out for centuries."
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

No worries Jake - I check my targets before I pull a trigger. Kids pulling a prank tend to start swearing when someone kicks in the door and points a gun at them.

Delta Sierra
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

Debunker wrote:Ron, I know your more level headed than others seem to display on this site, but I ask you to think twice before you do anything stupid. I'd hate read the morning paper one day and see you get arrested for shooting some hoax prankster kids up one night. This story reeks of prank activity, and whatever Sir Robin thinks he's seen is not a monster.

Just be careful, I dont agree with your methods or beliefs, but your still my friend.
I'd love to hear your explanation for my double... I suppose I just "forgot" that I had a twin? Who somehow managed to get into the house when it was completely locked? Really, do tell... I'm sure the "rational" explanation will be absolutely fascinating.

oh, and the latest oddity... there are bugs all over my house today... there were none yesterday, now I have to wear gloves while I type (which makes typing VERY hard) to avoid being bitten by the ants that are crawling all over my desk and even INSIDE MY COMPUTER! Not exactly on par with some of the things that have been happening around here, but still very strange...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

Hang in there Robin, I'll be there tomorrow.

Delta Sierra
Dennis Haverstand

Post by Dennis Haverstand »

While I can't offer any of the help Ron seems better equiped to give, I can offer some sort of explaination for the double. Fiction and Mythology are full of doubles, and in my experience, these things are based in some sort of fact. German literature, especially from the black forest area is strongly littered with stories of doubles wanting to take the place of the orginal. In fact, the word doppleganger is German in origin. They seem to be almost a sort of fey spirit, or perhaps a ghostly entity attempting to gain a human existance.

Most of the stories tend to end when one or the other of the doubles is killed, which seems to suggest you may be safer now, especially with Ron on his way.
BraveSirRobin

Post by BraveSirRobin »

as if the bugs weren't enough, walking the dog just now (with fire-poker in hand), there was a big flash up in the sky... completely noiseless, just a big flash... I looked up and saw... something green... not quite a meteor, not quite a mortar shell (fireworks, not military... I wouldn't know what a military mortar going off would look like) falling towards the stream that runs behind the shed...

that was the end of that dog-walk...
Ron Caliburn

Post by Ron Caliburn »

I'm just a couple of hours up the interstate ATM. See you for lunch.

Delta Sierra

Return to “War Stories”